Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2017 7:46:52 AM EDT
Real weird situation here guys, I want to run this by you all to see if anyone has experience this before.

So as the title says, once I shoot my G17.4 enough to warm it up (which isn't hard to do as I shoot action pistol) the trigger starts to bind real bad on the uptake while pulling it back. After the break (shot), slowly releasing the trigger will experience similar but not as bad binding.

The obvious drag point is the trigger bar over the firing pin safety. I won't be able to go and inspect the pistol till later tonight but before I do is this the most likely culprit? Either the firing pin plunger isn't moving freely OR the trigger bar is sticking somewhere in that general area.

If anyone has any advice drop it here so I can have a list of things to check when I get home. I have a match tomorrow, I'd like to figure this out tonight.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:12:31 AM EDT
[#1]
First are these stock parts or aftermarket?  Second is the striker block or striker really dirty by chance?  Have you removed the striker block, striker, and extractor\spring bearing to inspect for damage of the parts?  Is the trigger bar bent?

Needs lots for info.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:26:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I would start off with a good detail-strip and inspection for anything obvious. Reassemble and see if the problem persists.  Not sure if it's possible with the factory firing pin safety plunger spring, but some aftermarket reduced power springs can get cocked up in the hole, making it real stiff.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 12:11:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the assistance, even with the lack of info.

Right now I have an aftermarket connector and trigger reset spring so when I go home tonight and detail strip the frame and slide I'm going back to stock configuration. Thing is that this just starting occurring within the last month or so, those aftermarket parts have been in there for at least six months by now.

I DID do a 25 cent trigger job with some Flitz and a polishing wheel (no grinding or removing of material), I inspected the trigger bar and the connector where I polished and I see no deformation or damage. The Safety plunger looks worn on the head of it but it's a part I did not touch. After the problem started happening I thought I may have damaged the slide stop lever spring by putting the pins back in the wrong order, so I purchased the extended OEM lever and installed, no change.

After breaking it down tonight and cleaning if I find anything worn I'll snap a pic. Thanks again guys!
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 12:21:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I think the plunger sounds like a real possibility like you said in the OP. I'd probably detail strip the slide and see if you notice any unusual wear on the plunger or the plunger channel.

And just to be sure, I would remove the slide and press on the plunger with a dowel or screwdriver or something to feel the resistance as a baseline. Then shoot it until hot, remove slide, and press again to see if there is a difference.

Just spit-balling.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 1:09:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Have you taken apart your firing pin assembly? 

Check the surface your trigger bar and firing pin meet 
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 2:54:52 PM EDT
[#6]
When you detail strip post picture of the trigger bar, connector, striker block, striker assembly, and reset spring.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 4:36:32 PM EDT
[#7]
After checking all these things mentioned  replace the connector back to the original connector. Make sure you apply grease between the connector and the trigger bar that rubs against it. This is a shot in the dark but if it is not your safety plunger then you are having galling between the aftermarket connector and your oem trigger bar
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:10:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm sorry for the delay; I had a family emergency to tend to that really fucked everything up. I rushed home today and stripped the whole pistol apart for a deep inspection and cleaning. I swapped the aftermarket parts back to factory stock, but what really stuck out was a substantial amount of crud in the firing pin safety's channel, which I suspect was the culprit. I've been shooting a lot of steel case crap made in Stalin's asshole, I don't know why a super dirty gun escaped my list of possibilities but I DID get to shoot tonites match and low and behold, the trigger remained the same throughout.

Since I did replace the aftermarket parts I'm going to put them back in the gun and shoot the crap out of it this weekend to make sure it's not one of those causing the problems, just to make sure my prognosis is correct. I certainly saw no damage on any of the parts, OEM or otherwise.

Thanks again for the helpful direction; it gave me a clear cut plan when I got back in town today for what to look for.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 3:59:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Keep your gun clean and lube it according to the manual.  I had a trigger that got so bad it felt like metal to metal mushy grinding and it would barely break.  After inspection, and not seeing anything wrong at all, I put a drop of oil where the trigger bar meets the connector, something I had never done before, and the problem went away.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 4:38:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Glad to hear you got everything working. A guy brought his Gen 4 G 22 to me yesterday saying his trigger pulll has gotten stiffer over time. I pulled the gun apart and looks like it wasnt cleaned in a long time. I wasnt going to clean his gun so, took out the FP and cleaned the FP safety, and the hole where it rides with a q tip. Thats all it needed. Similar issue?
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 5:50:52 PM EDT
[#11]
When we qual we shoot 104 rounds.  52 day and 52 night.  So, my guess is we shoot the day in about 5 minutes... turn off the lights and shoot another 52.  I notice a much shittier trigger towards the end.  My guess is just fouling and lube burn off.

Regards
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:21:47 PM EDT
[#12]
It's the spring in the firing pin safety plunger. It's not seated straight and you'll feel a 'click'.  You have to gently turn it (I think clockwise) and you'll feel it pop into place
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top