Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2017 11:54:43 AM EDT
A guy has one local for 550. From the pics it looks to be in good shape. 3 mags (i have not been able to learn if the mags are gen1 also)

He wants 550. Fair price?
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:30:31 PM EDT
[#1]
If it has the Tupperware case and (2) NON-drop free mags, yes. I would take it.

Gen 1 is getting difficult to find. The NON-drop free mags are even harder to get
now-a-days. Glock traded owners of NON-drop free mags for drop free mags
when they first appeared. That took a lot of them off the streets. there are fewer
NON-drop free mags than gen 1 G17's.

I doubt the mags are original.

There are (16) iterations to Glock mags as well. If memory serves, the first two iterations are
generation 1.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:44:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Newer mags. Gun dates to the mid 80s.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 1:26:22 PM EDT
[#3]
If the gun is in nice shape, I would take it for a collection.

What are your plans for it? I collect Glock and do not yet
have a gen 1 G17. I mainly focus on G19's for collecting.
I'm at (13) G19's at present. All different in some way except
(2) gen 2's. Those are alike.

If your collecting the 17's, yes, take it in good condition at the price.
Offer 500 and see where it goes.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 3:45:01 PM EDT
[#4]
500 is highest I would go.  Unless you collect the Gen2 is a better older Glock and can be had for less.  Honestly I have no want myself for a Gen1 and would not pay more than 350-400 as they do not a huge appeal to me.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 3:46:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm a shooter not a collector so I wouldn't pay that much. 
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:14:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it has the Tupperware case and (2) NON-drop free mags, yes. I would take it.

Gen 1 is getting difficult to find. The NON-drop free mags are even harder to get
now-a-days. Glock traded owners of NON-drop free mags for drop free mags
when they first appeared. That took a lot of them off the streets. there are fewer
NON-drop free mags than gen 1 G17's.

I doubt the mags are original.

There are (16) iterations to Glock mags as well. If memory serves, the first two iterations are
generation 1.
View Quote
I bought my first Gen-1 in 1988 for $350.00. I bought my second one in 2013 for $425.00. Your location may also affect the price.

Not my video, but a good video for Glock mag identification.

https://youtu.be/Pfl0IvELYPE
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:30:30 PM EDT
[#7]
It's more or less a $550 price tag to simply say you have one.

As noted in other threads and Glock themselves, the polymer DOES get a bit brittle over time, so I wouldn't consider it a shooter.

If you have cash to burn and a desire to say "yea, I got one", then go for it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:19:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Why does anyone want a Gen 1? Brand new Gen 4's can be had for almost the exact same price. IMO the early Glock pistols are inferior in every way. These are economy pistols to begin with, not collector items.

I currently own a Gen 3 G23 and G19 and Gen 4 G35 and G21. I paid $600 for G35 and the rest were under $550 new.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 4:17:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I bought my first Gen-1 in 1988 for $350.00. I bought my second one in 2013 for $425.00. Your location may also affect the price.

Not my video, but a good video for Glock mag identification.

https://youtu.be/Pfl0IvELYPE
View Quote
Thanks. I have that vid saved. Don't know why I was thinking (16) iterations of Glock mags.

I stand corrected. It's (17) iterations, not (16). That vid is very accurate as far as I know.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 4:35:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It's more or less a $550 price tag to simply say you have one.

As noted in other threads and Glock themselves, the polymer DOES get a bit brittle over time, so I wouldn't consider it a shooter.

If you have cash to burn and a desire to say "yea, I got one", then go for it.
View Quote
x2....I totally agree here.

i have a G19 from very early 1989 (barrel is date coded Jan 1989 and serial numbers all match).

The polymer frame on that gun IS indeed, harder, than a new gen 4 G19. However, it does shoot
fine without issue. But, the issue is this:

When you go paying more money for a used Glock for a collection (has makers mark), and the
frame ends up cracking; then, what do you have? A old plastic framed gun that's either:

A) unsafe to fire because of cracked frame -or-
B) send the frame to Glock and they replace it with a new gen 3 frame.
You then have a older MIS-matched serial numbered gun along with
loosing up to half it's value, depending on what you paid for it.

So, rationally and financially, the old Glock goes to collection -or-
I make it a shooter, not worrying whether the frame cracks.

And, if that's the case, I should NOT pay more than 400-450 for the used Glock.
But, I wouldn't want a gen 1 as my only shooter.

The "only" Glock I have that I would not want to shoot any longer is my old G19.
As I stated, it shoots fine, but, I had to pay near 500 to get my hands on it. I cannot replace
it's frame with a like frame; that is serial number and makers mark. I carry G26. So, it sits in the safe along with
it's (9) sibling G19's. The other (3) have guard duty.....

I do keep three (19's) hidden around the house. Call me paranoid.....or prepared????
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 4:38:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Why does anyone want a Gen 1? Brand new Gen 4's can be had for almost the exact same price. IMO the early Glock pistols are inferior in every way. These are economy pistols to begin with, not collector items.

I currently own a Gen 3 G23 and G19 and Gen 4 G35 and G21. I paid $600 for G35 and the rest were under $550 new.
View Quote
So are baseball cards; just some cardboard LOL.....Peeps can collect most anything.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 12:10:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Thanks. I have that vid saved. Don't know why I was thinking (16) iterations of Glock mags.

I stand corrected. It's (17) iterations, not (16). That vid is very accurate as far as I know.
View Quote
It's the best one I've seen. Told me that there was a LOT about Glock mags I didn't know.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 7:52:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I sold a G1 for $600 with original box, one original mag, and some holster wear. Had it on a FB gun group just right before the shutdown and was getting offers up to $700. So if you really want one it's probably not bad, I wouldn't buy it, but I'm more after shooters than collectors.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 9:25:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It's the best one I've seen. Told me that there was a LOT about Glock mags I didn't know.
View Quote
x2. Never knew how much effort Glock put into mag design and yet keeps them universal with all gens.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 3:55:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

x2. Never knew how much effort Glock put into mag design and yet keeps them universal with all gens.
View Quote
That's one of the reasons I'm hesitant to switch to Magpul or ETS mags.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 2:44:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That's one of the reasons I'm hesitant to switch to Magpul or ETS mags.
View Quote
I've got some of the ETS mags for my 17. They work in my 17 and 19.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 1:18:39 PM EDT
[#17]
This thread is timely, I've been thinking about a Gen 1 17.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 2:53:56 PM EDT
[#18]
During our local gun show last weekend, I saw a Gen 1 17 for 400.  Nearly bought it if I hadn't been there for a Sig 1911.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top