Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2017 7:32:05 PM EDT
After 500 rounds, I was not shooting my Glock 43 as well as I’d like.
I can’t pass a 5x5 drill.
(5” circle, 5 yards, 5 shots in 5 seconds)
I can do this with some regularity with my Gen 4 G26.

If I take my time with each shot, I can usually get pretty small groups at point of aim, but when I go for speed, I shoot low left (just like so many others).
I figure I’m jerking the trigger.

I had read good things about the decal grip, so I ordered the rubber one an applied it.
Really liked the way it felt, and thought it would give me more control.
It didn’t seem to improve my shooting much.

I had read that newer G43s come with a 5.5 lb. connector.
My gun has the older 7 lb. connector so I ordered the 5.5 and installed it.
Seemed to have a little lighter trigger pull but not earth shaking.
Still didn’t really help my accuracy.

About 300 rounds later I noticed three things:

1.My groups were pretty much the same.
2.After installing the decal grip, I started getting premature slide lock!
       Apparently my thumb is hitting the slide stop.
       I’ve shot Glocks, Kahrs, S&W, and many others for over 20 years and I’ve never had that issue!
       Three trips to the range, averaging 100 rounds per trip, the slide locked 2 or 3 times per trip.
3.The last time out I was trying the new connector. Two times I actually “bump fired” the gun.
(After I fired a round, as I was pulling the gun down to line up the sights, I fired another shot.)
I didn’t like that at all.

So, today I removed the decal grip and put the 7 lb. connector back in.
Hopefully, these strange issues will go away.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:49:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I replaced my 7 pount connector with a ghost edge connector and never looked back. It gives it and nice smooth and consistent 4.5 pull.  Being a lefty I have never had to worry about hitting the slide stop with my thumb.

Strangely enough, I shoot my 43 better than another handgun I own.  Something about it just works for me. I will never part with my 43.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:00:32 PM EDT
[#2]
You bump fired your Glock?  That sounds more like poor trigger discipline than to light a trigger.  And the premature slide locking back is your thumb placement.  Sounds like you need some dry fire practice and some professional training.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:29:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:14:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Put the new OEM connector back in and use the 1st joint of your finger to pull the trigger
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 3:18:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I have been shooting Glocks for 20 years, which is why both issues surprised me.

I hate to reposition my finger since I use finger tip for all my defensive guns and plinking guns.

The only thing I wondered about with the Talon grip is whether the extra thickness and stickiness kept my thumb just little higher on the grip than before.

As I said, I had over 500 rounds through the gun before these things showed up.

Looking forward to shooting it now that it's stock again to see if it makes a difference.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:47:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have been shooting Glocks for 20 years, which is why both issues surprised me.

I hate to reposition my finger since I use finger tip for all my defensive guns and plinking guns.

The only thing I wondered about with the Talon grip is whether the extra thickness and stickiness kept my thumb just little higher on the grip than before.

As I said, I had over 500 rounds through the gun before these things showed up.

Looking forward to shooting it now that it's stock again to see if it makes a difference.
View Quote
trust me, I've been shooting double stack Glocks since the 90's too.  Using the 1st joint makes all the difference with the shorter trigger reach and thinner grip of the G42/G43
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 2:21:41 AM EDT
[#7]
More finger please!
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 9:04:11 PM EDT
[#8]
How does grip tape cause premature slide lock?  Unless the tape is directly in the way of the slide release, I don't see how this is possible.  I've used Talons on every single Glock I've owned, with multiple re-applications from wearing out the tape too, and have NEVER come across this issue.  

Sounds like a clear case of indian vs arrow.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 9:15:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Some of these posts I read really make me wonder if everyone really should own a gun
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top