Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2017 7:13:24 PM EDT
I was just curious about this. I'm working on a Glock 19 build (all OEM parts) and the numbers on the slide and barrel do not match the numbers on the frame (which is what is listed on the FFL transfer form). Not that I sell any my firearms very often, but was just wondering if it would adversely affect resale value, if I ever did decide to sell or trade. I would imagine it would to an extent. Probably more so if it were some kind of collector's item (which it ain't yet). 

Any opinions (if I should ask such a thing:-)?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:22:12 PM EDT
[#1]
It doesn't bother me since the frame is all that matters anyway. I'm sure it drives the OCD guys crazy though.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:37:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes. A parts gun is a turnoff for some.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:44:41 PM EDT
[#3]
ill have a matching upper with different lower

total 370 in it.  and I am sure I could get that back if not more.

so to me it doesn't matter its a Glock

Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:13:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Depends on the buyer.....
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:28:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm sure it drives the OCD guys crazy though.
View Quote
I am one of those people. I would personally like to get a gun with matching serial.

I bought a frame thinking I was going to go aftermarket. I changed my mind and ended up with mismatched slide/frame. Thankfully, Primary Machine will machine off all factory markings on the slide so I do not have to think about the mismatched serials.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:52:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies...

I've been a gun enthusiast for years, but took a long hiatus and got interested in other things; I've recently gotten interested in the hobby again (to the detriment of my bank account:-). Like I said, I rarely ever sell or trade any of my firearms, and am very particular if I do sell privately. If I do get something I end up not liking for some reason, I usually trade it in at an FFL dealer; not the most economical, I know. I've already given my two grown sons many of my firearms, so they don't have to wait until I die. 

I think my question has been answered, and I kind of knew the answer already. It depends on the individual, and, or dealer. With the current market on complete uppers and lowers, it (mis-matched serial #s) may not matter as much as I think, but that could change as trends tend to do. 

I could be wrong about this, but it is my understanding that it is illegal to sell the 80% framed firearms without any serial numbers. You can sell/trade the parts gun Glocks (and others), if it has the OEM lower with serial number. Heck, some folks may like the Frankenstein guns even better...   
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:00:21 PM EDT
[#7]
My last three Glocks were parts builds. Doesn't bother me one bit. I have exactly what I want now for a fraction of the "new" cost, even though I have a brand new Vickers frame etc
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:00:22 PM EDT
[#8]
For me it's annoying to not have matching serial numbers and makes me wonder why it's been pieced together. But doesn't affect the value any more than another used gun.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:04:25 PM EDT
[#9]
If I were looking to buy, I would pass on a nonmatching pistol. I guess I fall in the OCD category.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:17:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't care for mismatched gun serial numbers.  Just more to keep track of for insurance purposes.  If I had a mismatched gun and wanted to sell it, I would sell the complete slide and barrel together and the frame seperately as well.  Probably get more for it that way.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:55:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If I had a mismatched gun and wanted to sell it, I would sell the complete slide and barrel together and the frame seperately as well.  Probably get more for it that way.
View Quote
I think this is exactly why there are so many mis-matched serial # Glocks out there to begin with... 

As far as keeping up with the serial numbers, the one on the frame is all that matters, from a legal standpoint. 

All of my Glocks, except my current project gun, were purchased new and have all matching numbers. The project Glock 19 (Gen3) parts gun I'm building now is just something I wanted to do for the fun of it (and because I've never done it before). And, I've enjoyed it and learned something in the process...
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:20:16 PM EDT
[#12]
It's a modern semi-disposable auto, not a C&R milsurp. I wouldn't care.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:45:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Best answer. I personally don't care unless it is something rare like the Glock 30 FDE RTF2 or something like that. Otherwise Glocks are tools to me. Mixmaster Glocks are fine.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:09:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
This right here. If it would bother you that much then you could just use it as a all around beater/truck gun so as not to mess up your matching serial number guns.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:27:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Wouldn't bother me at all, I already have a G19 with mixed numbers.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:47:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Cheapest and easiest way to get an RTF2 G22 with straight slide serrations and an RTF2 G34.  

If it hurts the later resale value--so be it, buying and assembling them as parts guns also cost me way less than it would have cost me to buy similar guns new without the RTF2 frame, but this way, I got exactly what I wanted, and don't intend to sell in the near future.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:20:30 PM EDT
[#17]
What with a Glock being hand fitted and all...
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:25:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Cheapest and easiest way to get an RTF2 G22 with straight slide serrations and an RTF2 G34.  

If it hurts the later resale value--so be it, buying and assembling them as parts guns also cost me way less than it would have cost me to buy similar guns new without the RTF2 frame, but this way, I got exactly what I wanted, and don't intend to sell in the near future.  

~Augee
View Quote
Exactly how I built my 19 "Vickers" clone

Going to build a USPSA Limited gun this summer off of an RTF2 17/22 frame
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:53:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Yep.  Makes it $0 value for a lot of guys.  Sorry.  When Blue Labels are under $400, there is no point in assembling parts.

On resale, it would always be the question of who and what and why something so common got parted together.  I trust Glock.  Not spare parts assembliages. (sic)

A frame for an Advantage Arms deducated pistol in .22LR, maybe.  

Better to just buy the whole critter, use the frame, and put the centerfire top away till needed.

Any serialized part missing or modified to hide it goes to the bottom of the desire pile.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:02:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yep.  Makes it $0 value for a lot of guys.  Sorry.  When Blue Labels are under $400, there is no point in assembling parts.

On resale, it would always be the question of who and what and why something so common got parted together.  I trust Glock.  Not spare parts assembliages. (sic)

Better to just buy the whole critter, use the frame, and put the centerfire top away till needed.

Any serialized part missing or modified to hide it goes to the bottom of the desire pile.
View Quote
$0? Really? Ouch! 

Yea, I expect some devaluation due to mis-matched serial numbers, but not $0. Of course it's worth much more to me... And, I don't qualify for blue-label pricing. Under $400? Wow! 

Here's a pic of the worthless monster. :-) I took some Mothers aluminum mag polish and cleaned up some of the streaks in the battle-warn Nickel Boron finish. I like the smoother look better. Had a lot of fun putting it all together too; a new experience for me. I like it; it shoots good too. 

Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:54:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If I were looking to buy, I would pass on a nonmatching pistol. I guess I fall in the OCD category.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:07:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I guess I fall in the OCD category.
View Quote
I fully admit that I'm OCD about some things. I keep wondering, if I get a factory threaded barrel, can I have the serial number added to match my pistol? :)
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:53:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Whew, what a relief, I thought my pistol might actually be worth something!  Now I don't need to worry about being tempted to sell it!  

Guess I'll just have to keep my $0 gun that's in a configuration that's never been offered commercially but is almost (I still need an ALG Magwell and some TTI baseplates ) exactly what I wanted with no extraneous spare parts that I have no use for, and love shooting.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:38:21 AM EDT
[#24]
I think its that inability to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear story.

Not literally $0, but figuratively.  

Mis-matching guns of such a common type as a Glock would be at the bottom of many people's desire pile.  

What no one else wants because of so many factory matching guns available makes it hard to sell and puts $0 in your pocket.

I understand it is exactly what you wanted and has your value to you.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:13:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Depends on where you live.. Here in Italy we can not build guns from parts so if I see a glock for sale with a oem barrel or slide with different SN i guess the owner had some major failure that required a trip to the factory..
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:46:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Do the folks that won't buy a mismatched Glock refrain from buying other brands of guns that only have a serial number on the frame?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:47:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Depends on where you live.. Here in Italy we can not build guns from parts so if I see a glock for sale with a oem barrel or slide with different SN i guess the owner had some major failure that required a trip to the factory..
View Quote
I sent a Glock 27 back to the factory in Smyrna, Ga. many years ago with a warranty issue, and they sent me a whole new gun. I could be wrong, but if there is a warranty issue serious enough to replace the frame, slide or barrel, I'm thinking Glock would replace the entire pistol, rather than replace major components with different serial numbers. 

Also, I don't know the history of firearms well, but I'm thinking Glock was among the first manufacturer to put the serial number (listed on the frame) on the barrel and slide, but I could be wrong. And, as someone else mentioned, there are many hand-guns that do not have the serial numbers listed on the slide and frame. 

Again, as far as the value of a mis-matched serial number Glock, it is probably less than all matching, but with the advent of the DIYer 80% builds and all the customized uppers, etc... that is driving up the cost of complete Glock uppers, (and lowers) we are likely to see more and more mismatched serial number Glocks out there in the market. As for my Frankenstein Glock, it's a keeper. :-)
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:55:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Whew, what a relief, I thought my pistol might actually be worth something!  Now I don't need to worry about being tempted to sell it!  

Guess I'll just have to keep my $0 gun that's in a configuration that's never been offered commercially but is almost (I still need an ALG Magwell and some TTI baseplates ) exactly what I wanted with no extraneous spare parts that I have no use for, and love shooting.  

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff502/augeekim/C8240897-AF5E-43F2-8F65-CDE6E64EC045_zpsmxkljzsk.jpg

~Augee
View Quote
Wow! Nice Glock!!! Who would even pay attention to the serial numbers on that beauty!! :-)
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:14:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I think its that inability to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear story.

Not literally $0, but figuratively.  

Mis-matching guns of such a common type as a Glock would be at the bottom of many people's desire pile.  

What no one else wants because of so many factory matching guns available makes it hard to sell and puts $0 in your pocket.

I understand it is exactly what you wanted and has your value to you.
View Quote
My comment was made with some levity, if that had not been clear.  

I'm well aware that different people can be more or less picky about some things, up to and including matching serial numbers on Glocks, and that to some, the non-matching numbers would be a deal killer.  Guns with heavy signs of use are also a deal killer to many--so with luck, before too long, my G34 will be worth even "less."  

While I have never been above selling my guns if something else comes up that I want and need some cash for, I do not plan my purchases, modifications, or inventory around what would or would not affect re-sale value, and frankly and honestly, I am not in a financial place where I can have a bunch of extraneous spare parts floating around "just in case" I choose to re-sell something later, as parting out the parts I don't need is often what makes it possible for me to buy the parts I do.  

The point is, different buyers have different expectations and needs--if I did re-sell this pistol, I would obviously be straightforward that it's non-matching.  Those to whom it renders the value "$0" will move on, others, like many in this thread, who don't particularly mind may consider it, as it is in a configuration never offered commercially by Glock, and the only way to get one is to build it yourself, or buy one from someone else who did.  Regardless, because I don't have a lot of cash to throw around and tie up "in limbo," yet have very specific and sometimes expensive tastes, I tend to shop smart--I'm fairly certain that if I sold my "build," I could probably get back at least what I have in it, though obviously not from you.  I don't think either of our feelings are going to be hurt if I go ahead and cross you off the "potential buyers" list for this pistol.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:11:32 PM EDT
[#30]
If I was buying it I'd consider it a parts gun. Could care less of seller's story unless documentation stating why it's not matching.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:21:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If I was buying it I'd consider it a parts gun. Could care less of seller's story unless documentation stating why it's not matching.
View Quote
Aren't all guns parts guns? :-) (Just kidding:-)

To be honest, I have not seen any mis-matched serial number Glocks (complete guns) advertised for sale. The parts themselves (complete uppers, lowers, etc...) seem to be such a hot commodity at the moment, the finished projects themselves don't seem to be on the market yet. I don't know if GunBroker has a "completed listings" feature like eBay, but if you take a look at the "completed listings" for complete Glock uppers on eBay, most all of them do sell, and well above $400; some close to $500 and even higher, depending on what it is. So, there is a big demand for parts.

It may well be just a trend, but it is what it is, at least for the moment.  

Like someone else mentioned earlier in this thread, if you have a parts Glock you want to sell, take it apart and sell the parts individually, and you'll come out ahead. 
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 7:42:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Some of us shooters would buy a non-matching Glock if the price was fair and the gun was in good condition just for a good shooter or truck gun.

I sent in a like new condition Gen 2 Glock 19 that the frame cracked and it was replaced with a Gen 3 frame.  She's mismatched so that was my motivation to make it my main CCW and shoot the hell out of it.  I will probably never sell it though.  To me, Glocks are not heirloom quality but utilitarian type firearms to be used.  

People that want a safe queen or OCD probably wouldn't be interested in your or my Glock.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 10:17:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Like someone else mentioned earlier in this thread, if you have a parts Glock you want to sell, take it apart and sell the parts individually, and you'll come out ahead. 
View Quote
Touche Henry1!
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 5:11:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Also, I don't know the history of firearms well, but I'm thinking Glock was among the first manufacturer to put the serial number (listed on the frame) on the barrel and slide, but I could be wrong. And, as someone else mentioned, there are many hand-guns that do not have the serial numbers listed on the slide and frame. 
View Quote
The "triple-serial" is a practice that is carried over for compliance with European laws.  You will see it on Sigs, CZ's and HK's as well.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 6:03:24 PM EDT
[#35]
And then there's Agency, ATEI, Salient, Zev, etc. Parts guns. 
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:23:14 PM EDT
[#36]
last summer, go look at a glock 17 gen 3, guys asking 375.00, not in bad shape but its a parts gun, ended up buying it for 250.00, it is a great shooter and no issues with it, but its a parts gun
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 11:26:44 AM EDT
[#37]
As a home build I may have reservations to an extent, but if the frame were warranty replaced no worries. My pd trade-in 23 is mismatched and I'm not bothered by it at all.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 11:51:00 AM EDT
[#38]
I buy used firearms for a business, it is worth a lot less. Unless it was in perfect condition I wouldn't even buy it from you  
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 11:56:31 AM EDT
[#39]
I've been following this thread for a while but now I'll say my thoughts.

"Of course it does."

It's just like a swimming pool on a pre-existing house.
Even if you want a pool, you act as though you don't.
Swimming pools almost never increase the value of a average home price.

So, back to serial numbers, even if it doesn't matter to you, it does, and the gun will never be worth what one with matching numbers would bring.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 12:04:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Would the people who pay less sell for less?
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 1:15:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

"Of course it does."

So, back to serial numbers, even if it doesn't matter to you, it does, and the gun will never be worth what one with matching numbers would bring.
View Quote
Yes, the gun with mis-matched serial numbers is worth less on the open market, as a general rule. And, there are lots of parallels like the home with a swimming pool adding value or devaluing the property, etc... It could be argued both ways, I suppose. To some, the gun with the mis-matched serial numbers is worth $0; to some, even less than that. Something is worth what a buyer is willing to pay and the seller is willing to sell for... 

As far as a dealer not offering much for a gun with mis-matched numbers, (and I mean no disrespect to gun dealers) it has been my experience that a dealer is not going to offer you much on a trade-in or direct sale anyway; they are in business to make a profit and they buy low and sell high; and, they know all the strategies, angles and sales-pitches to justify their offer. They will make you a low-ball, dirt cheap offer whether it has matching serial numbers or not, and you can take it or leave it. I've lost money every time I've ever traded in a gun at a dealer, and all the serial numbers matched, if it was a handgun, and had multiple numbers on the components; but I took the loss because I no longer wanted the trade-in and would rather sell/trade with an FFL dealer than a private individual, unless I know them. 

Of course, all the different opinions and philosophies expressed in this thread has been interesting. 

ETA: And, based on the current market, the parts themselves (complete Glock uppers and lowers sold separately) are selling for more than a new Glock with all matching serial numbers would sell for. So, even if the complete pistol is devalued due to mis-matched serial numbers, the individual parts are not. 
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 10:23:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Yes, the gun with mis-matched serial numbers is worth less on the open market, as a general rule. And, there are lots of parallels like the home with a swimming pool adding value or devaluing the property, etc... It could be argued both ways, I suppose. To some, the gun with the mis-matched serial numbers is worth $0; to some, even less than that. Something is worth what a buyer is willing to pay and the seller is willing to sell for... 

As far as a dealer not offering much for a gun with mis-matched numbers, (and I mean no disrespect to gun dealers) it has been my experience that a dealer is not going to offer you much on a trade-in or direct sale anyway; they are in business to make a profit and they buy low and sell high; and, they know all the strategies, angles and sales-pitches to justify their offer. They will make you a low-ball, dirt cheap offer whether it has matching serial numbers or not, and you can take it or leave it. I've lost money every time I've ever traded in a gun at a dealer, and all the serial numbers matched, if it was a handgun, and had multiple numbers on the components; but I took the loss because I no longer wanted the trade-in and would rather sell/trade with an FFL dealer than a private individual, unless I know them. 

Of course, all the different opinions and philosophies expressed in this thread has been interesting. 

ETA: And, based on the current market, the parts themselves (complete Glock uppers and lowers sold separately) are selling for more than a new Glock with all matching serial numbers would sell for. So, even if the complete pistol is devalued due to mis-matched serial numbers, the individual parts are not. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Of course it does."

Worth $0 is harsh, just saying as a complete gun it isn't worth the same as the same gun with matching numbers.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 2:36:25 PM EDT
[#43]
The easiest way to sell a glock with mis-matched SNs is to part it out.

I did this with a 34 and wound getting more for it as parts then when I offered it for sale as a complete gun.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 5:47:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The easiest way to sell a glock with mis-matched SNs is to part it out.

I did this with a 34 and wound getting more for it as parts then when I offered it for sale as a complete gun.
View Quote
Smart move.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 7:04:29 PM EDT
[#45]
It would bother me if I used the gun as a ccw weapon with non matching parts (even though in the US it doesn't matter and few makers do it that way) but if I ever had to go to court for a shooting (good or bad), a lawyer might use it against you. I know it is only a possibility. I would also question why does the gun has different parts from different weapons. Was there damage to the original, was it used for something prior,etc.. Resale, in my opinion, will be affected a lot but like others have said, sell the frame and upper by themselves.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 8:17:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It would bother me if I used the gun as a ccw weapon with non matching parts (even though in the US it doesn't matter and few makers do it that way) but if I ever had to go to court for a shooting (good or bad), a lawyer might use it against you. I know it is only a possibility. I would also question why does the gun has different parts from different weapons. Was there damage to the original, was it used for something prior,etc.. Resale, in my opinion, will be affected a lot but like others have said, sell the frame and upper by themselves.
View Quote
All good points and possibilities. However, to my knowledge, the number on the receiver is the only one that really matters, legally; those are the numbers listed on the FFL from 4473. The numbers on the slide and barrel are basically irrelevant from a legal standpoint, since you can legally change the slide and, or barrel if desired. Of course the numbers on the slide and barrel are relevant to anyone who wants all the numbers to match on their firearm.

I purchased a Chinese SKS paratrooper model from an online dealer a while back, and it was supposed to have all matching numbers. All the numbers matched on the components that could be seen on the outside of the gun, (which were shown in the ad photos) the receiver, the bolt carrier, bolt carrier cover, and the trigger guard; but the numbers on the bolt itself had been ground off; and, you could tell the bolt looked like it had more wear on it than the rest of the rifle, which looked almost new. I was actually disappointing in the dealer I purchased it from, but that is a risk you take when buying online and having it shipped to a local FFL dealer. I didn't take the gun apart at the FFL dealer to check the bolt, and didn't notice it until I got home. Of course, the rifle functioned flawlessly, and is one of my favorite SKS rifles.  

So, yes, matching numbers matter to me too, under most circumstances. 

As far as a lawyer using something like mismatched numbers on a firearm used in a shooting to their client's advantage, I guess that is their job, especially when they don't have much else to work with... 

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top