Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2017 11:48:10 AM EDT
I learned a valuable lesson about buying a completely stripped Glock 19/23 (gen 3) lower verses buying a complete lower (with all lower parts already installed). I thought I was coming out ahead buying the stripped lower and then a lower parts kit. That was fine until I realized that the locking block isn't included in the stripped lower, or the lower parts kit... another $30 (+or-). 

The complete lowers average between $180 to $250 on Gunbroker, plus shipping and the FFL fee. The stripped lowers average $75 to $90, plus shipping (unless free), FFL fee, and then the lower parts kit, plus the locking block. So, the price is about the same either way, unless you get upgraded lower parts. The locking block caught me by surprise, since this is my first Glock build. Guess I'll have fun putting it together. 

Just a few thoughts...
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 12:04:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Whenever you decide to take on a project, always research what you are wanting to get,heavily. I actually write down on a piece of paper how much it will cost and what parts do I need,all the while looking at a schematic of a gun(for a reference to all parts). Even then, I might forget something. It takes patience and timing.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 12:12:01 PM EDT
[#2]
How true. There are few suppliers on Gunbroker that sell the stripped lowers with the locking block. I considered that when picking up a lower with the locking block last week on GB for $90 and bought the rest of lower parts for $45 from midway. I figured I'm a few $'s ahead. Well not really. If you can pickup a blue label for around $450 with tax. You could sell the slide and barrel quickly for around $300 on EE and have a complete lower with 3 mags and have $150 into a lower with 3 mags and backstraps. That seems like the best deal if you qualify for Blue Label.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 1:00:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I learned a similar lesson. I was originally going to buy a complete lower and buy an aftermarket slide. After buying the lower, I changed my mind and wanted a factory slide. I ended up paying the same amount as a complete gun. I paid a little less than going rate for a complete upper, so I could have easily spent MORE than a complete gun. So lesson is, buy the complete gun.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 1:09:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the comments; yes, I'm a bit new at this. I've built several AR15s and enjoyed building them as much as I did shooting them. Thought I'd try my hand at building a Glock 19. 

I think the advent of the Glock style 80% lower has caused a boom in the Glock parts market (complete uppers, lowers, etc...). I wanted a Glock 19 upper with the Nickle Boron finish, and saw one on eBay. The complete slide assembly (new) was $489 with free shipping. I haven't seen a new Glock 19 with a slide exactly like the one I purchased (not the battle-worn with relief cuts, which I don't like).

I'm still a bit skeptical of the Cerakote option, though I've seen a few Cerakoted Glock 19s that appeal to me. I could have had one of my current G19 slides sent off for Cerakoting, and have not ruled out that option, but thought I'd try the Nickle Boron slide and see how it goes. Worst case scenario, if I don't like it, I could resell the parts, which there seems to be a good demand for, and learned something in the process...

Thanks.   

ETA: A lot of folks must be in the same predicament as me; Midway USA is out of stock, and has the G19 locking blocks on back-order; same with Brownell's. I purchased one (OEM SP04361) on eBay. 
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 6:47:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
[b]Quoted:[/b

I think the advent of the Glock style 80% lower has caused a boom in the Glock parts market (complete uppers, lowers, etc...). I wanted a Glock 19 upper with the Nickle Boron finish, and saw one on eBay. The complete slide assembly (new) was $489 with free shipping. I haven't seen a new Glock 19 with a slide exactly like the one I purchased (not the battle-worn with relief cuts, which I don't like).

ETA: A lot of folks must be in the same predicament as me; Midway USA is out of stock, and has the G19 locking blocks on back-order; same with Brownell's. I purchased one (OEM SP04361) on eBay. 
View Quote
I concur that the glock polymer 80% lowers are driving the crazy prices for just an OEM glock slide. I saw a New Glock Nickel Boron 19 for sale today at a gun show for $550. That seems to be the going rate for one around here.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 7:36:11 PM EDT
[#6]
glock 23 frame can be had for 130.
http://www.combatarmory.com/pre-owned-complete-glock-23-lower/
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 8:33:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I concur that the glock polymer 80% lowers are driving the crazy prices for just an OEM glock slide. I saw a New Glock Nickel Boron 19 for sale today at a gun show for $550. That seems to be the going rate for one around here.
View Quote
Just my luck... buy high and sell cheap. 

That was a great price on the new Nickle Boron Glock 19. I bought a new Gen-3 Glock 19 for $506 and free shipping from Bud's Guns a few months ago. I thought that was a pretty good price. 

Wouldn't be the first time I've overpaid for something; nor the last. 
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 1:38:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
this place is pretty cool,  I called them about the FFL info,  he said give me the info,  about 20 min later I got an email saying they rec'd FFL,  so I placed an order for a G23 lower and 10 min later I had my shipping confirmation.  ETA: Shipping on the lowers is free total was 129 dollars 

thanks for the link.
M2D
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:29:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
this place is pretty cool,  I called them about the FFL info,  he said give me the info,  about 20 min later I got an email saying they rec'd FFL,  so I placed an order for a G23 lower and 10 min later I had my shipping confirmation.  ETA: Shipping on the lowers is free total was 129 dollars 

thanks for the link.
M2D
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks for the link.
M2D
That was a great buy for the 23 complete lower, even though it was used. I see new, complete Glock 19/23 lowers now for $150; add the $25 FFL fee and it's $175. I will have more than that in my stripped lower build... Like I said, live and learn.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:21:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That was a great buy for the 23 complete lower, even though it was used. I see new, complete Glock 19/23 lowers now for $150; add the $25 FFL fee and it's $175. I will have more than that in my stripped lower build... Like I said, live and learn.
View Quote
so I am into mine for 129 plus 11.00 for the ejector.  

my dealer charges me 10 dollars for a transfer.  so 150 total for the lower.  I have 130 in a polymer 80 stripped.  like you say live an learn.

but I have 220 in a complete upper and 150 in lower so I have a glock for 370 it just has mix matched SN.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:39:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

but I have 220 in a complete upper and 150 in lower so I have a glock for 370 it just has mix matched SN.  
View Quote
Wow, that's a great deal on a nice Glock 19, in spite of the mis-matched serial #s. I rarely, if ever, see any Glock, no matter how worn-out and abused, for sale for less than $400. Even the PD trade in Glocks rarely sell for much less than that...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top