BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:32:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I would have to disagree on that. On any given night in any large city you will hear of multiple events that would justify the use of a firearm for self defense. We don't, however, hear a whole lot about negligent discharges happening when people holster their weapons, except for the 3 mentioned above.
View Quote
Did you miss the study of NYPD officers earlier in the thread?  There were 13 NDs from them in one year, out of 35,000 officers.  If you're an NYPD officer you have a roughly 20x higher chance of having an ND than you do dying in a car crash in a given year.  Should they quit wearing seatbelts too because of how insignificant the risk is?

Granted, the risk of car crash death is probably mitigated due to people wearing seatbelts, but the point stands.  In all of these situations we're talking about fractions of a percent.  If "device to help prevent me from having an ND" is where you draw the line at something being unreasonable, so be it.  Trying to justify it with statistics is going to be tricky, since the data on NDs is very limited compared to something like car crashes or assault.  It's certainly not as "cut and dry" as you make it out to be.  

NDs DO happen, but they aren't usually publicized for a few reasons.  Often it's not related to a crime so doesn't need intervention, it's embarrassing and will get you lectured by every gun and non gun person you meet, and it's embarrassing.

http://www.iii.org/fact-statistic/mortality-risk
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:13:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

The same could be said of carrying a gun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't need too. Between the article and the YouTube video that is enough research to say that the product is designed to solve a problem that near statistical zero.

The same could be said of carrying a gun.
Yup.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 12:45:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Did you miss the study of NYPD officers earlier in the thread?  There were 13 NDs from them in one year, out of 35,000 officers.  If you're an NYPD officer you have a roughly 20x higher chance of having an ND than you do dying in a car crash in a given year.  Should they quit wearing seatbelts too because of how insignificant the risk is?

Granted, the risk of car crash death is probably mitigated due to people wearing seatbelts, but the point stands.  In all of these situations we're talking about fractions of a percent.  If "device to help prevent me from having an ND" is where you draw the line at something being unreasonable, so be it.  Trying to justify it with statistics is going to be tricky, since the data on NDs is very limited compared to something like car crashes or assault.  It's certainly not as "cut and dry" as you make it out to be.  

NDs DO happen, but they aren't usually publicized for a few reasons.  Often it's not related to a crime so doesn't need intervention, it's embarrassing and will get you lectured by every gun and non gun person you meet, and it's embarrassing.

View Quote
Thank you for those stats on the NYPD, because they make my case much more clear. While we don't know the circumstances around the NYPD incidents, for the sake of this argument we will just say that the SCD could have prevented all of them, even though that is very optimistic.

Let's go over some of the other stats from some source I found plus the NYPD -

Odds of dying in a car accident: 1 in 84
Odds of being a victim of violent crime in Dallas: 1 in 143
Odds of an NYPD officer having an ND/AD: 1 in 2,692

Now let's use the stats from the website you provided -

Odds of dying in a car accident: 1 in 113
Odds of dying from assault by firearm: 1 in 358
Odds of dying from firearms accidental discharge: 1 in 7944

So as we can see, the chances of needing something like the SCD are very very low compared to the other incidents mentioned.

Ask any adult if they have been in a car accident in their life (whether passenger, driver, at fault or no fault) and the answer will almost always be yes. Ask any adult if they have been a victim of a violent crime, you will find a few that say yes. Any any gun owner how many times they have had an ND/AD that could have been prevented with and SCD, I suspect you will have quite a problem finding anyone, but you may find a few.

But by all means, if you want to spend $80 for something that is unlikely go right ahead. At the same time you should remove all sharp objects from your house just in case you trip and fall on them. You should also not walk under a coconut tree because 150 people a year die from falling coconuts.    

Sources for car accident and Dallas crime stats-
https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/10/31/how-scared-should-we-be/
https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/tx/dallas/crime
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 9:16:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thank you for those stats on the NYPD, because they make my case much more clear. While we don't know the circumstances around the NYPD incidents, for the sake of this argument we will just say that the SCD could have prevented all of them, even though that is very optimistic.

So as we can see, the chances of needing something like the SCD are very very low compared to the other incidents mentioned.

Ask any adult if they have been in a car accident in their life (whether passenger, driver, at fault or no fault) and the answer will almost always be yes. Ask any adult if they have been a victim of a violent crime, you will find a few that say yes. Any any gun owner how many times they have had an ND/AD that could have been prevented with and SCD, I suspect you will have quite a problem finding anyone, but you may find a few.

But by all means, if you want to spend $80 for something that is unlikely go right ahead. At the same time you should remove all sharp objects from your house just in case you trip and fall on them. You should also not walk under a coconut tree because 150 people a year die from falling coconuts.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ever carried AIWB?
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:38:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
Do you carry a gun every day for your own protection as a civilian? By your own metrics above, there is virtually zero reason to carry a gun. If you do carry a gun, perhaps you should leave it in the safe because your odds of being involved in a violent crime are slim to nil by your own logic. In fact you should leave your car parked in the garage too because the odds are stacked against you. Seriously, why is this thread so popular? Is it simply because someone came up with an invention that helps add a layer of additional safety to the Glock and that somehow compromises the Glock's "cool factor"? Even the best and safest shooters have bad days, if you carry AIWB it only takes one bad day to kill you. This is why I don't go AIWB, it freaks me out too much with ANY gun. Not a product of a lack of training, but a sincere level of respect for the firearm and my personal safety. For those who are comfortable with AIWB and the risks that come with it, then the SCD is a fantastic option to add to their own personal safety and may help take the pressure off of people who are considering AIWB but are fearful of the negatives.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:50:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Your source (at least for the car deaths) is over a lifetime.  I wasn't able to figure out how the Dallas one is calculated.  The NYPD ND stats are for 1 year.  Multiply it by 40 to account for a (relatively short) lifetime of risk, and it's 1 in 67.3, actually MORE likely than dying in a car crash.  Granted, they didn't die from any of the NDs, so that's a factor as well (they also don't carry AIWB).  They also have jobs where reholstering quickly while focused on something else may be necessary.

Comparing nationwide stats for firearm death by AD against car accidents is also problematic, as the vast majority of people never carry a firearm with them, whereas most people do drive every day.  I didn't even notice that on the website I posted until you pointed it out because it was so low. Nationwide averages only work when most people actually experience the risk.  Nationwide averages on deaths in subways isn't very useful either, as the vast majority of cities don't have subways.  It can give you a false sense of security.  I'm betting someone who carries concealed for decades AIWB has a higher chance of dying by ND than an average person in the US.    

That's why the NYPD stats are valuable, because that's a population who all carries firearms every day.  It also shows that over a 40 year period of carrying a firearm, they have a 1 in 67.3 chance of having an ND.  

My point isn't that carrying a firearm is more dangerous than driving, or that proper training isn't important.  Statistics get tricky when making weird comparisons like this, and as we've seen can be interpreted any number of ways.  My point is that there is a not all that crazy reason for trying to improve on the safety of your firearm.  Do you need it?  Not if you're excruciatingly careful 100% of the time (not 99.999%).  I suspect most people with the SCD never actually need it anyway.  With that being said, all it takes is one slip up.  One moment in one day out of 40 years.  To me the $80 seems worth it, but that's a cost/benefit calculation everyone has to do for themselves.  If I was making minimum wage and had student loan debt it probably wouldn't be worth it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:10:56 AM EDT
[#8]
The FB thread related to this article makes me want to pour bleach into the gene pool.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:07:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:47:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 7:04:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Does this add weight to the trigger pull?
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:11:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
No, it does not change anything in regards to the trigger pull unless you have your thumb on the device.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 1:14:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Broke down and ordered the $60 Blem version. Took everyone's word on it; I'll let you know when I get it how it does.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:20:16 AM EDT
[#14]
I also broke down and bought the blemished one. Personally i think its a great idea. Anyone that carries daily im sure had a shirt or something snag going in the holster. My other personal carry gun was the XDS and part for the buying decision was the grip saftey for holstering. Yes i am very disciplined on finger control but for 60 buck it gives me piece of mind.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:07:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Definitely nope.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 4:47:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Bought one through the indiegogo campaign, and installed it on my glock 26 a few weeks ago.

Bought one of the blem SCDs today, for installation on a glock 19 when I get around to buying it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:16:38 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought one a few months ago when I earnestly started to carry AIWB, using an INCOG holster.  I was one of those old-farts who poo-pooed appendix carry as simply something trendy to give instructors more reason to hold classes.  I begrudgingly started to carry appendix and realized how much more comfy it was with a proper holster.
Installed the Gadget on a gen3 26 with the Apex trigger and minus connector.
It works fine with the Apex trigger. I've only put a couple thousand rounds through it with the Gadget.
No change in trigger pull.  It works as it should.  Took me a few weeks of training myself to thumb the gadget and now it comes naturally.
I'd like to get one for the 43 and another for a 19.

For many years I carried traditional IWB and now can't carry any other way but appendix.  It has given me significant confidence to carry and train AIWB.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:19:47 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm sold on the concept (have one in my G19 Gen4 and another on the way) and I think it has application outside appendix. How many people that carry at 3:30 or 4 o'clock behind the hip can really contort themselves to actually see their holster is clear of obstructions while they holster? I know I can't anymore.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:47:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Ben running the gadget on my Gen 2 19, Gen 3 17, and Gen 4 19 without incident for a while as I was in the campaign early.  Just bought a few of the blems to cover the rest of my Glocks.  Harms nothing and gives me great confidence on holstering the guns.  Two decades ago I was as Sig P220 carrier and Mas Ayoob trained me to maintain thumb on the hammer always when holstering.   It is nice to have that option again with the guns I prefer today.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:01:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm sold on the concept (have one in my G19 Gen4 and another on the way) and I think it has application outside appendix. How many people that carry at 3:30 or 4 o'clock behind the hip can really contort themselves to actually see their holster is clear of obstructions while they holster? I know I can't anymore.
View Quote
I carry mostly behind the hip, IWB. It serves the same purpose for me. I did buy a couple Gadgets with the notion to try AIWB carry when I got them. I just have not bought a good dedicated AIWB holster yet. Carrying my J-frame apendix seems to work ok, though sometimes it does seem to aggravate what I suspect are some hernia issues I'll eventually have to deal with. I have yet to see what carrying a G19 AIWB might bring.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:33:36 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm wondering what this device would do to your class of gun while shooting IDPA/USPSA. It's no longer a stock gun. I shoot a stock G19 in these events and it is also my every day carry.

As far as the pissing match in the majority of these three pages, good or bad, right or wrong, make your own decision about using the gadget or not and stop shitting on everyone's "OPINIONS".
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:18:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm wondering what this device would do to your class of gun while shooting IDPA/USPSA. It's no longer a stock gun. I shoot a stock G19 in these events and it is also my every day carry.

As far as the pissing match in the majority of these three pages, good or bad, right or wrong, make your own decision about using the gadget or not and stop shitting on everyone's "OPINIONS".
View Quote
Interesting question, hadn't thought of that.  It doesn't affect trigger pull and is not permanent, I've gotten nothing more than raised eyebrows at USPSA matches when people notice it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 2:33:44 PM EDT
[#23]
I just got my "Blemished" SCD today,  man is it nice! Thanks for letting me know about these, ill be at the range this weekend and let you know how it does.

Edit to add picture of Blem SCD installed.

Link Posted: 3/31/2017 12:12:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Got my blemished today. Works as advertised and i like it. Just wish the price would come down for something so small. Couldnt even see the blemish.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 8:47:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Got my blemished today. Works as advertised and i like it. Just wish the price would come down for something so small. Couldnt even see the blemish.
View Quote
The profit margin is very small on this.  Made in America by Americans using tool steel.  Be happy about the price.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:36:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The profit margin is very small on this.  Made in America by Americans using tool steel.  Be happy about the price.
View Quote
Then "America" needs to get competitive with the rest of the world. Tired of this BS excuse, it's 100% about profit and nothing else. I might pay $50 I'm not paying $80 for this thing.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:14:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Then "America" needs to get competitive with the rest of the world. Tired of this BS excuse, it's 100% about profit and nothing else. I might pay $50 I'm not paying $80 for this thing.
View Quote
So, how does one get competitive when the product is only made by one company? A blem might be better for you. Hell, I picked one up in the ee.

Sometimes when you want to try something, you have to pay what they are asking, or don't and move on.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:36:11 AM EDT
[#28]
The more you shoot, the more you train, the more you handle a firearm when tired or sweaty the benefits of this thing outway the only detractor being the $65 for a blend.

My 3 most used, shot, carried guns are a Beretta, 1911, and a g19. I've always placed my thumb on my hammer while reholster g since I carry aiwb. This actually had zero learning curve for me which is nice.

If you think you can't make a mistake then please stay away from me because that is a dangerous mindset.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:13:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The more you shoot, the more you train, the more you handle a firearm when tired or sweaty the benefits of this thing outway the only detractor being the $65 for a blend.

My 3 most used, shot, carried guns are a Beretta, 1911, and a g19. I've always placed my thumb on my hammer while reholster g since I carry aiwb. This actually had zero learning curve for me which is nice.

If you think you can't make a mistake then please stay away from me because that is a dangerous mindset.
View Quote
Wait, you got one?
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:14:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh for gods sake, invent something yourself, try to make in America from tool steel, and get back with us.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:06:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Wait, you got one?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait, you got one?
Yea. After the thread in GD last month.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:50:36 PM EDT
[#32]
The SCD was mentioned during yesterday's Green Ops Defensive Pistol I class as a sensible and worthwhile addition to the Glock.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 5:23:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait, you got one?
Hope ya dig it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 6:33:07 PM EDT
[#34]
I do. It's a great idea. Makes an easy transition between platforms.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 7:54:50 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm sold & there sold out (damnit)

Now that I think about it, I shoot/train a lot most of the time it's just me & my German Shepherd's in the desert/hills around my house, when the weather is cold "like it has been  lately" wearing a hoodie or jacket & with IWB sometimes appendix better safe then sorry.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:44:22 AM EDT
[#36]
I have one on my Glock 19 that I carry almost exclusively appendix.  I love it, although whenever I shoot people say to me, doesn't that thing on your gun moving back and forth bug you.

I would buy one for a Glock 43 in a second since I carry that appendix as well. 
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:12:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Waiting for the G42/G43 model.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:08:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Now that I think about it, I shoot/train a lot most of the time it's just me & my German Shepherd's in the desert/hills around my house, when the weather is cold "like it has been  lately" wearing a hoodie or jacket & with IWB sometimes appendix better safe then sorry.
View Quote
I won't do IWB of any sort on a Glock without one of these.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:12:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Waiting for the G42/G43 model.
View Quote
Same. My G43 is my carry weapon.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:33:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I carried my g19 in a rcs vg2 for a while. It's a decent enough set up but had some shortcomings. A real holster up front makes the SCD a no brainier.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 6:40:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Any update on when they may have 43 models available?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:39:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Any update on when they may have 43 models available?
View Quote
I'll find out, nag me if you don't hear back soon.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:19:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Consider this a nag?!
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:42:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Bump for an update
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:02:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Consider this a nag?!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Consider this a nag?!
Later this year, prototypes coming soon for testing.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 4:41:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Excellent. It really is a clever device.

Thank you for the update!
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 8:26:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Excellent. It really is a clever device.

Thank you for the update!
View Quote
The best place to get updates is Pistol-Forum.com but feel free to bug me, seriously.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 9:00:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The best place to get updates is Pistol-Forum.com but feel free to bug me, seriously.
View Quote
Right on, thank you!
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 2:44:53 PM EDT
[#49]
If anyone is looking for a Gadget JM Custom Kydex had six left in stock last time I checked.

http://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/THEGADGET.html
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 3:57:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
If anyone is looking for a Gadget JM Custom Kydex had six left in stock last time I checked.

http://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/THEGADGET.html
View Quote
Or you can also get them straight from the place Link to Tau Dev. webpage
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top