Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2016 5:30:29 PM EDT
She really likes the feel of the g43. However we haven't shot one to see the recoil, among other things. I know some of you own one so I was hoping to get some feedback on reliability, recoil, and anything else you guys may mention.

Appreciate the feedback. We'll be buying it on Saturday unless ATF consensus says otherwise.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:06:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I just bought a G43 yesterday. I haven't shot it, and am also curious to hear some feedback.

Everything I've seen online (youtube etc) seems to show it to be quite controllable and not too snappy.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:20:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I love mine, it will replace my 19 for daily carry when my holsters gets here.
Tuff to compare me to your wife, I'm a big guy, I don't pay particular attention to snappy.
I would recommend a standard load, nothing hot or high performance, of course it has to feed properly.
I run warm loads in mine, so I do not have an ammo recommendation for ya, sorry.

My carry load is Underwood 124gr bonded JHP +P, I use this in all my 9mm, it feels fine to me in my 43 or my 17L.
I can't recommend it on the mild side of recoil though.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:26:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tuff to compare me to your wife, I'm a big guy, I don't pay particular attention to snappy.
I would recommend a standard load, nothing hot or high performance, of course it has to feed properly.
I run warm loads in mine, so I do not have an ammo recommendation for ya, sorry.

My carry load is Underwood 124gr bonded JHP +P, I use this in all my 9mm, it feels fine to me in my 43 or my 17L.
View Quote

My wife is 5'4 140lbs. Dainty wrist. Not very familiar with the 9mm grains and kick especially since I'm a 45 guy. What round would you recommend for her?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:23:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine was test driving the G42 yesterday, that's probably what she'll end up with.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:29:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Mine was test driving the G42 yesterday, that's probably what she'll end up with.
View Quote

My wife is using this as her defensive ccw. Not for plinking. It's why we're going with the g43.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:30:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Fiancé loves the one I got me not so much with my giagantic hands it is just to small for me.  Good pistol otherwise she shoots it much better than I can and it is dead nuts on.  I will stick with my PPS for tiny pistol.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:37:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
My wife is using this as her defensive ccw. Not for plinking. It's why we're going with the g43.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not plinking here either.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:47:12 PM EDT
[#8]
NVM, just realized it is the glock forum.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:50:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Try both

90gr XTP at 1025fps out of the G42 is nothing to balk at.

Shooting the G43 is snappy and follow up shots are more important than foot pounds.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:03:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My wife is 5'4 140lbs. Dainty wrist. Not very familiar with the 9mm grains and kick especially since I'm a 45 guy. What round would you recommend for her?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would stick with a mild factory load in the 115gr weight, simply for less snap/recoil.
The XTP bullets have done well in gel tests in the 380, so I assume they would be a good jhp for the 9mm.
Speer gold dots are also well thought of in a defensive bullet.
If it was my petite 98 lb daughter and she wanted G43, instead of the G42, that what I would advise, I would also be sure she is comfortable shooting them.
Follow up shots are a consideration, be sure she has the proper grip and stance as it makes a big difference.

Not sure if Edge has posted in here yet but he has spent time with women shooters and has posted about his experiences and advice.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:08:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Mine's happy with her G42 and I like too. Softer recoil, less BANG, and easier follow-up, and easier to grip.

There are other more ergo options with safeties etc (WaltherCCP 9mm, for example). The ole KISS concept wins with me every time.

A good holster compromise (access vs retention) can be a deal breaker, as with any Gluck type handgun though, IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:10:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Try both

Shooting the G43 is snappy and follow up shots are more important than foot pounds.
View Quote
This. I've shot both side by side. The G43 isn't bad, but the G42 is very very controllable. I can shoot it as fast and almost as accurate as my G17.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:21:19 PM EDT
[#13]
The G43 is reliable but very snappy, and the trigger is not conducive to accuracy, even with a Ghost Edge connector.  It takes a lot of practice to dial in and maintain your trigger pull.  It's an accurate pistol, but very hard to control in rapid fire as it tends to twist and ooze around despite a death grip and some added stippling.  I can shoot my P938 much better quickly cause it just locks into my hand like a puzzle piece.  That may be more a function of the grip dimensions relative to my hand dimensions and where my knuckles land on the front strap.  The beavertail of the G43 is sharp and hooked and blistered the fuck out of my web until I Dremeled it to a more subtle profile.  I also find the inside bottom of the trigger guard blisters the underside of my trigger finger even after some beveling.

Honestly, I would look very hard at the new PPS M2.  It really fits the hand and the trigger is much more conducive to accuracy, and the original was known for shooting softly for its size.  Plus you can ride the cocking indicator when holstering.  It's a smidge larger than the G43 in each direction, but if she can conceal it I think it's otherwise a total homerun.  From playing with one at a store it seems they fixed everything that was wrong with the original PPS, while keeping all the good stuff. I assume I'll probably give one a shot at some point.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:26:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

My wife recently got her LTC and narrowed it down to the G42 and G43. She shot them side by side and decided on the G42.

I installed Trijicon HD's and a TLR-6 (she uses the light only on the TLR-6). Her carry ammo is 90 grain Speer Gold Dots. The mags are all getting Pearce +1 base plates.

She's petite at 5'2" and says it's the perfect gun for her.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:15:50 PM EDT
[#15]
The G42 is the softest shooting most accurate small .380 pocket gun out there  IMO

My GF wanted 9 no questions asked and bought the 43.  It is  snappier on recoil.

I would go with the 43 with a 147 grain short barrel Gold Dot or the new HST 150 Grain short barrel.  

The 42 with w good round like the Hornady 90 grain XTP or some hot euro ball would also be a great little gun.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:20:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Have both, love both but my wife prefers the G42. She's 5'10, 150lbs and is a nurse for a living but doesn't like the recoil on G43, she'll shoot it but if we go to the range the G42 comes along so she'll keep practicing so she can take her CCW class
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:39:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This. I've shot both side by side. The G43 isn't bad, but the G42 is very very controllable. I can shoot it as fast and almost as accurate as my G17.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Try both

I can get fast and wild with the 42, really easy to manhandle.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:49:51 PM EDT
[#18]
My wife just got herself a G43. She's tiny at 120lbs, and has weak wrists from an auto accident and therefore very recoil sensitive. That being said, she also has a Walther PK380 she likes, but now prefers the G43.
She shot a box of ammo through it, and it didn't bother her. She will be taking a pistol course with the local PD this Saturday, and will be taking 100 rounds with her to practice with.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:02:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

My wife just got herself a G43. She's tiny at 120lbs, and has weak wrists from an auto accident and therefore very recoil sensitive. That being said, she also has a Walther PK380 she likes, but now prefers the G43.

She shot a box of ammo through it, and it didn't bother her. She will be taking a pistol course with the local PD this Saturday, and will be taking 100 rounds with her to practice with.
View Quote
What load is she using to judge the G43 by?  

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 7:01:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Find a range that rents guns....take her there, rent a bunch of pistols....let her pick.  What you or Someone else likes isn't going to be what she likes.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 7:40:20 AM EDT
[#21]
My wife is 100lbs and she handles +P ammo in a 19 just fine.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:36:23 AM EDT
[#22]
For practice, she usedWWB 115gr fmj.
She also tried some old 147gr black talon's I had laying around.
For now, she is using 115gr Hornady critical defense.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:51:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That comment was borderline laughable, implying that someone would buy a .380 for plinking over a 9x19 considering .380 ammunition is twice the price of 9x19.

.380 is perfectly suitable for a small CCW.

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 10:13:53 AM EDT
[#24]

Posted: Today 9:51:16 AM EDT
View Quote

[Last Edit: Today 9:52:28 AM EDT by TheMercenary]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That comment was borderline laughable, implying that someone would buy a .380 for plinking over a 9x19 considering .380 ammunition is twice the price of 9x19.

.380 is perfectly suitable for a small CCW.

"A really bad idea, embraced by millions of people, is still a really bad idea.” - T. Blauer

^ Agreed

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 8:45:45 PM EDT
[#25]
We'll figure something out.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:16:01 PM EDT
[#26]
New ported Shield 9mm.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:52:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
New ported Shield 9mm.
View Quote

S&W?
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 12:45:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Shot about 40 rounds through the G43 today to function check. No issues. It did shoot a little left for me like I've been seeing in some reviews, and the trigger did irritate my finger some.

Over all, I love this little thing.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 9:32:50 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Shot about 40 rounds through the G43 today to function check. No issues. It did shoot a little left for me like I've been seeing in some reviews, and the trigger did irritate my finger some.

Over all, I love this little thing.
View Quote
Lemme know how a legit 200-400rd practice session leaves the web of your hand or trigger figger.  Especially with 147gr. I think you'll want to bust out the Dremel with the sanding drum like I did.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:17:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Try before you buy is the best and only answer, while I'm a pretty small dude myself and love my G43... I doubt you wife possesses the same skill set I do so she will have to try before she buys,

I will say this however, if the G43 is to much for her to handle.... the G42 is an excellent option.  Very soft shooting, while still providing a decent trigger and usable sights.... plus Glock reliability.  G42 is probably one of, if not the softest shooting sub-compact on the market.

~g
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 7:14:31 PM EDT
[#31]
I carry my G42 religiously in my front pocket, it fits great there. My wife prefers our G43 and carries it in her "pocketbook". (Purse) she shoots both pretty well but prefers the G43.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 9:20:05 PM EDT
[#32]
My wife is not a fan of the G43. She wanted something smaller than her G19 and finally settled on a Shield.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:22:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Has anyone mentioned taking a look at the G26?
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 9:42:53 PM EDT
[#34]
My wife took her new G43 to a pistol class today. She put 98 rounds into the kill zone of the target, and then the officer put 2 shotgun shells on top of a post at 10 yds. She shot both of them off.
To say she is happy is a gross understatement. She is tickled. I asked about her hand a little while ago. She said she hadn't noticed her hand being sore until I said something. Only a little tingling, nothing to think twice about.
I'm happy that she's happy. Guess we will be doing some shooting next weekend.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top