Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2016 10:34:24 AM EDT
Hi All -

I'm getting started in competition shooting after using my G17.  I am primarily focused on the tactical division but would be open to expanding into open after some time.

My question is, should I buy a regular G34 and then if I want to get into open, have it milled or buy an aftermarket slide?  Or would it be better just to go with the MOS?
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:41:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I say MOS
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 3:56:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Neither. Stick with the 17. There will be about a billion other things to spend money on that will improve your 3-Gun performance more than getting a new pistol. Besides, under most rules the MOS with optic is only legal in Open division, and it makes for a very uncompetitive platform compared with an STI racegun.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 5:17:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Neither. Stick with the 17. There will be about a billion other things to spend money on that will improve your 3-Gun performance more than getting a new pistol. Besides, under most rules the MOS with optic is only legal in Open division, and it makes for a very uncompetitive platform compared with an STI racegun.
View Quote

Agreed unless you got the coin to drop.  Lots of other stuff that you can invest in to gain an advantage.  Buy the equivalent cost of the G34 in ammo and use it to practice it will do wonders for you.

MOS if you must buy.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 5:32:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you shot a 34 before?  Some people don't like them compared to the 17.  And if you do decide to go into the open division with an optic on your glock then there's really no significant advantage to the 34.  

As far as optic vs no optic capability.  I say go with a regular non-MOS model and when the gun is what is holding you back or you're ready to step up into the open division THEN get the slide milled and throw on your optic of choice.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 6:53:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks dudes
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 7:48:35 PM EDT
[#6]
The MOS is a flawed design IMHO, with the "plate" system your optic is only held on by a few threads when mounted to the plate.  This also places the optic higher than on a milled slide.

If you want a RMR do it right and just have your slide milled.

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:06:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

+1

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:14:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Personally, I really like the extra sight radius of the G34 vs my G17 as it makes it easier to see the sight lift in recoil.  
Plus, it's so cheap that it makes it a no brainer to get one.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:12:43 AM EDT
[#9]
there are typically more competitors in Tactical Optics Division...it's where the fun is
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top