Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2016 8:04:58 PM EDT
Just picked up blue label G20 g4 for $389 at lgs...what barrels are you guys using for fully supported chambers, added velocity etc?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:16:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Factory barrels in all my 10mm, not sure any barrel is fully supported.... why what's wrong with the OEM barrel?

If higher velocities are desired, then get a G40 instead.

~g
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:26:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I have read that factory barrels can cause bulges on hotter loads, which is a deal breaker for reloading.  Perhaps you missed the "purchased a G20" part of my post as you typed your recommendation for a G40
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:54:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have read that factory barrels can cause bulges on hotter loads, which is a deal breaker for reloading.  Perhaps you missed the "purchased a G20" part of my post as you typed your recommendation for a G40
View Quote

You reload much or for a long period of time?

Bulges are in no way a deal breaker. Nothing wrong with current factory barrels with the hottest of 10mm loads. Resize, reload and carry on.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:33:04 PM EDT
[#4]
As long as you stay within the limits of proper industry supplied reloading data and assemble the reloads properly the factory barrel will handle it in stride.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:49:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Just picked up blue label G20 g4 for $389 at lgs...what barrels are you guys using for fully supported chambers, added velocity etc?
View Quote

I went with a StormLake 4.6" barrel since I wanted to shoot Buffalo Bore 200 gr hard cast ammo as I was under the impression the factory barrel would not do. Later I learned that this probably was not necessary, based on the article below.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=59

However, the StormLake barrel does appear to do a better job of fully supporting the chamber, which is important for using reloads. No change in velocity as the barrel length is the same.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 6:11:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I went with a StormLake 4.6" barrel since I wanted to shoot Buffalo Bore 200 gr hard cast ammo as I was under the impression the factory barrel would not do. Later I learned that this probably was not necessary, based on the article below.

However, the StormLake barrel does appear to do a better job of fully supporting the chamber, which is important for using reloads. No change in velocity as the barrel length is the same.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was a article in one of the major mags online about 6 months ago regarding after market drop in Glock barrels. They did reviews on (4) makers. Covered many aspects including if they make their own or if it's farmed out and they put their name on it, technical support/customer assitance, fit, cost etc.....I can look to see if I have it saved if you wanta look at it. They rated Storm Lake, KKM, Lone Wolf and Bar-Sto.

Bar-Sto rated top even though they were the most expensive. Storm Lake, rated last....they really slammed their customer assistance too.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:39:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've got a G20.4 and have yet to see bulged brass. I think the Gen 4 series offers more chamber support than the previous models so an aftermarket barrel isn't required or necessary. For the record I've used Underwood and Sig Sauer brand 10mm, no problems, no pregnant brass.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:48:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Almost all Underwood once-fired brass I buy needs to be sent through the push-through sizing die. They all have that Glock shaped firing pin imprint on the primer.

I load my stuff as hot or hotter than Underwood, and I don't need to push-through size it after it is fired in my LWD barrel, but I do if I shoot it in my coworker's stock Gen 4 G20.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:52:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I haven't had any issues with the two StormLake barrels that I own nor have I needed any service. It's interesting to note that some manufacturers, e.g. Lone Wolf, state that only factory ammo can be used.

If you have the article details, please share them. For example, name of magazine, title, and date.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:04:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Smoking deal on that Glock 20 sir.

I have had excellent results with Bar Sto barrels. Yes they cost a little more but they do shrink group nicely on target.

The coated SNS 180 FP can be pushed faster than the jacketed equivalent at lower pressure.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:15:37 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a Stormlake.  The chamber support and accuracy are great.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:26:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've got a G20.4 and have yet to see bulged brass. I think the Gen 4 series offers more chamber support than the previous models so an aftermarket barrel isn't required or necessary.
View Quote

How so when barrels didn't change between generations?
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 3:45:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I have 2 Lone Wolf barrels that have been great so far. Good quality at a good price.

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=943&CAT=238
http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=943&CAT=238
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:07:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've got a G20.4 and have yet to see bulged brass. I think the Gen 4 series offers more chamber support than the previous models so an aftermarket barrel isn't required or necessary.

I'm pretty sure the barrels did change.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 11:56:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Bar-Sto, then KKM in my opinion.  I personally wouldn't look at anything else.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 2:34:35 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a KKM 6 inch barrel in my Glock 20 gen 4.  I am quite pleased with it.

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 6:41:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 12:06:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm a big fan of KKM barrels.  Once upon a time, not long ago really, I had bought a G29 off a guy locally.  I purchased a KKM barrel and decided to check velocity difference between the stock 3.78" G29 bbl and the ~4.2 KKM barrel (it was a comped bbl) and the KKM got me as much as 150 extra fps over the stock bbl.  

I currently have a G20 Gen4 and I've done the same comparison and it isn't as large, but KKM does have better chamber support.  It's my feeling that better chamber support can also increase velocity slightly due to several factors.  Plus if you reload it really is easier on your brass and will make it last a little longer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top