Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2016 5:01:11 PM EDT

I shot my brand new Gen4 Glock 23 last weekend (Perfecta ammo) and ran into a few issues.
1. I had two FTE's on the first mag. I wish I would have taken a picture of it but on both the case was about 95% extracted but had a little bit of the case still in the chamber. After the first mag I didn't have any more FTE's
2. It is almost impossible to get 13 rounds in the magazines and when I do I can't pull the slide back. I have to remove one of the rounds and then everything works fine.

I bought one of those UpLula loaders and now I can get 13 rounds  in it reasonably easily but the slide is extremely hard to pull back so I will definitely not carry with a full mag.
and yes I completely stripped and lubed the gun before shooting it for the first time?

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:17:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had 2 light loads shooting perfecta 9mm... choked the shield I was shooting them thru both times. The recoil impulse didn't feel right at all either time, even if the gun didn't jam I would have stopped shooting just to make sure it wasn't a squib....

New Glock mags are tight, loading the last round will be a bitch until the spring breaks in after a few hundred rounds. This will also cause the hard to rack slide as well. I've NEVER had this cause a failure during firing using a topped off mag however.

Load and unload the mags some if you want to speed up break in of the spring.

Or just shoot it

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:18:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I shot my brand new Gen4 Glock 23 last weekend (Perfecta ammo) and ran into a few issues.
1. I had two FTE's on the first mag. I wish I would have taken a picture of it but on both the case was about 95% extracted but had a little bit of the case still in the chamber. After the first mag I didn't have any more FTE's
2. It is almost impossible to get 13 rounds in the magazines and when I do I can't pull the slide back. I have to remove one of the rounds and then everything works fine.

I bought one of those UpLula loaders and now I can get 13 rounds  in it reasonably easily but the slide is extremely hard to pull back so I will definitely not carry with a full mag.
and yes I completely stripped and lubed the gun before shooting it for the first time?

View Quote

1.  First mag on a tight pistol that is brand new this is not uncommon for any brand.  Pistol needs some exercise and you used Perfecta that is not exactly the hottest load and IMO kind of a weakly loaded round.  
2.  I have had this issue with Glock Sig P22x and M&P mags.  Load them up and leave them loaded for a few days and shoot the pistol a bit the springs will loosen up and you will be fine.

I just replaced the springs in a few of my mags recently and I could not max load them till I worked the spring in.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:05:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Possibly weak ammo.  And since you didn't have any after the first two ones, I wouldn't think much of it.  But you're right, they forget to add the perfection a lot.  Maybe always?  Cuz there's no such thing.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:31:15 PM EDT
[#4]
It's the ammo. I've had at least 8 FTE ftf with perfecta with both of my Sigs and my glocks.

Hell one box came with only 49 rounds
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:40:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Try some defense ammo.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:04:00 PM EDT
[#6]
What the fuck is an FTE??

Extract or eject?????????!!!
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:44:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, in most cases you can't tell without more info.

Many people have a hard time figuring out what the cause of the failure is, FTE just means it didn't work

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:05:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Many people have a hard time figuring out what the cause of the failure is, FTE just means it didn't work

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He said "95% extract" so I would say FTE in this case means extract.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:16:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't FTE always "failure to extract"? If the case extracts but doesn't eject it would be a stovepipe, no?
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:24:53 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Correct, my post was not really directed at OP. More a general statement in regards to the use of FTE.

Still, OP didn't say if the extractor held the rim or slipped off. As long as the extractor held onto the case rim it's not a failure of the extractor, it's the ammo not generating the slide velocity for the gun to do its job. This type of malfunction also could have been caused by the ejector missing the case entirely, chances of this only happening 2 times during the course of firing several mag's are slim to none.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:35:30 AM EDT
[#11]
you bought good ammo to practice malfunction drills

try some better ammo
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:07:02 AM EDT
[#12]
"Perfecta" probably isn't the best ammo with which to judge a new pistol by. It is not the worst ammo but try something better.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:39:43 AM EDT
[#13]
For the price Pefecta is good range ammo, even if it has few issues now and then. But for a new gun, I would get some ammo of better quality and run that for a while to make sure the gun is G2G. Then switch back to Perfecta. I haven't had any issues with Perfecta 9mm in my glocks, but they are all 10+ years old.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:15:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:30:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Buys brand new gun universally known for its reliability - love or hate Glocks, they work.  

Buys cheap/junk ammo.  

Gun malfunctions.  

Blames gun.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:06:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Buys brand new gun universally known for its reliability - love or hate Glocks, they work.  

Buys cheap/junk ammo.  

Gun malfunctions.  

Blames gun.
View Quote

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure I've heard some kool aid drinkers claim they'll digest anything you put in them.   So.......  it's not that weird.   It probably will digest just about anything after he gets it up and runnin for a while though.  Hopefully.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:05:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure I've heard some kool aid drinkers claim they'll digest anything you put in them.   So.......  it's not that weird.   It probably will digest just about anything after he gets it up and runnin for a while though.  Hopefully.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buys cheap/junk ammo.  

Gun malfunctions.  

Blames gun.

Exactly. I've been told by more than one person that Glocks do not need a break in, they work right out of the box and they will eat anything. So since Glocks have this reputation and I get two jams right out of the box I thought I would throw it up here,

I'm really not as concerned about the jams as I am the fact that I couldn't even pull the slide back with 13 rounds in the mag .I've tried Perfecta and Hornady Critical Defense and get the same results. I've been working with the mags the past few days and it has gotten a little better but it's still very hard to pull back the slide. I do not trust that it will work If I carry one in the chamber and 13 in the mag, In fact I'm beginning to think the two FTE's were mag related.The way the casing was still slightly in the chamber and still attached to the extractor could be explained by a huge drag on the slide.

To be clear, after the two FTE's I put about another 100 rounds through it with zero problems, although not with a completely full mag. I do trust the gun to carry as long as I only load 12 rounds in it.

ETA: I put a 9mm conversion barrel in it and tried a mag with 15 rounds in it. There was a slight drag on the slide but nothing like a full mag of .40. Then I put in a .357 sig barrel and tried two different fully loaded mags. There was no drag at all on the slide and the mags would easily click into place ( I have to tap the mags pretty hard to get them in when they are full of .40)
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:26:45 AM EDT
[#18]
The gun is not broken in yet- everything is tight. Shoot a couple hundred rounds through it and everything will work itself out ( as long as you are using decent ammo)  the mag issue is not uncommon with new Glocks   All guns need to be broken in.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:19:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Perfecta has not worked well for me.  I put about 290 rounds through a Gen 4 G19 that had already digested 1500 rounds without an issue, and I had 2 failures to feed and one light load with the Perfecta.  The light load did not move the slide any perceptible distance and I was concerned I had a bullet stuck in the barrel, but it had just enough energy to exit.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:45:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Never had a single issue running Perfecta in my fullsize MP9 or Shield, it's all i shoot for 2/3-gun matches anymore.
It is loaded a little on the light side, but that's not a bad thing for times.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:47:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Exactly. I've been told by more than one person that Glocks do not need a break in, they work right out of the box and they will eat anything. So since Glocks have this reputation and I get two jams right out of the box I thought I would throw it up here,

I'm really not as concerned about the jams as I am the fact that I couldn't even pull the slide back with 13 rounds in the mag .I've tried Perfecta and Hornady Critical Defense and get the same results. I've been working with the mags the past few days and it has gotten a little better but it's still very hard to pull back the slide. I do not trust that it will work If I carry one in the chamber and 13 in the mag, In fact I'm beginning to think the two FTE's were mag related.The way the casing was still slightly in the chamber and still attached to the extractor could be explained by a huge drag on the slide.

To be clear, after the two FTE's I put about another 100 rounds through it with zero problems, although not with a completely full mag. I do trust the gun to carry as long as I only load 12 rounds in it.

ETA: I put a 9mm conversion barrel in it and tried a mag with 15 rounds in it. There was a slight drag on the slide but nothing like a full mag of .40. Then I put in a .357 sig barrel and tried two different fully loaded mags. There was no drag at all on the slide and the mags would easily click into place ( I have to tap the mags pretty hard to get them in when they are full of .40)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buys cheap/junk ammo.  

Gun malfunctions.  

Blames gun.

Sounds like "perfecta" is anything but...

Under-powered ammo is under-powered.  The finest firearm in the world will malfunction with sub-par ammo.

Like complaining my reliable gun isn't reliable because it won't digest 100% of reloads...

Mag spring will loosen up also...

BTW - not a fan of .40 regardless of platform.  I know, I know CSB.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:07:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't load more than 10 rounds in my G26 mags when carrying it.  I don't like the idea of them rounds jamming up on the underside of the slide either.  I will try it when I go to the range next time, but I've never been a huge fan of that with any pistol I've used.  I doubt one more round is going to make that big of a difference when you starting getting into double stack guns.  Now a single stack, I'd be more likely to test and make sure it's good to do the plus one in the chamber.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:50:18 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm the only person I know who can get 13 rounds in my 23 mags. It was almost impossible at first, but got easier pretty quickly. When you cycle the slide, the rounds have to push into the mag slightly, which gets better after the springs soften up. Just let them sit loaded for a few days.
Also, don't load in 13 rounds before you load the chamber. Load in like 5 or 10, rack the round into the chamber, THEN top off the mag. The ammo should have the power to overcome the mag spring being pushed down with no problem at all.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:44:21 AM EDT
[#24]
I would try another brand of ammo to rule out that being the issue, which is most likely is. Underpowered ammo in combination with a new gun may very well be all there is to it.

As a side note, I run perfecta 9mm through all of my Glocks and can only remember one malfunction out of the ~2000 rds ive shot. It was a bad/high primer.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:25:04 PM EDT
[#25]
1: semi normal in just about any gun

2; man the fuck up. shove the fucking rounds in the mag. new mag springs on mags worth a shit are always tough

'perfection' is marketing. a glock is just what itis: a simple, durable, mass produced gun
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 2:39:16 PM EDT
[#26]
I've read of issues with Perfecta on MANY forum in the last month.  I wonder if they had a terrible batch or if they've always been pretty bad.
Some SIG P320 owners also reported FTF and FTE with it.

Tight mags loosen up usually.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 3:57:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Just a quick update, I took it to the range and put another 100+ rounds of .40 through it (Yes it was Perfecta) and didn't have a single issue. Also put about 30 rounds of 9mm and a mag of 357 through it with no issues.  I did test it out with a fully loaded mag and one in the chamber and that worked fine also.

I now am convinced that the first two FTE's were mag related. I'm also convinced that two of my three mags had much stiffer than normal springs in it. You couldn't load the 13th round in it even using the loader that came with it. It actually deformed the loader. And even if I did manage to get it in you could not rack he slide.

Since I've gotten the upLula loader I've been loading and unloading them and leaving them with 13 rounds in them for days. The springs have loosened up considerably and now you can rack the slide with a fully loaded mag in it although it still takes more effort than I would like.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:13:09 PM EDT
[#28]
I had two new gen 4 G19s malfunction multiple times with (under powered)  (im) perfecta
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top