Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/31/2016 10:58:26 PM EDT
I've long anticipated the release of the Magguts spring and follower for the G43. It finally goes on sale tomorrow and I'm now having second thoughts. It uses a flat leaf type "z spring" and I'm not sure I trust it for a self defense gun. I might get one and test it extensively over the next few months in a spare mag.

Link Posted: 1/31/2016 11:25:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Is there something wrong with the OEM spring and follower?
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 11:28:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

The MagGuts spring and follower packages allow the magazine to hold an extra round. Their models for other guns use a standard style coil spring with the low profile steel follower. I guess that wouldn't work for the 43 so they came up with the flat spring.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 11:43:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Concerning..... Didn't know about the leaf spring
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 11:48:32 PM EDT
[#4]
That's the same type of fuckery that everyone used to do with 1911 mags trying to get 'em to hold 8 rounds.  

FUCK THAT.

It's not 1987 anymore.  

Carry a 26 if you want more ammo.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 11:57:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I wasn't sure the extra round was even worth the cost much less possible loss of reliability. Seeing that spring, I'll pass.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 12:07:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Taran Tactical Innovations base pads. Your search is over.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 12:17:13 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote

Nope. The whole point of maguts is adding a round without adding magazine length.

I was thinking of using them in conjunction with pierce +1's, not with that spring...
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 12:24:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Look at the TTI +1, barely larger than the stock plate.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 12:30:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I was thinking of using them in conjunction with pierce +1's, not with that spring...
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 12:54:41 AM EDT
[#10]
I wonder if the follower will work with a regular spring?
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 1:08:12 AM EDT
[#11]
No thanks
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 3:14:26 AM EDT
[#12]
WTF. Nope. Pass
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 3:24:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
WTF. Nope. Pass
View Quote

This ^
I am pretty happy with my 43 and it functioning as designed.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 5:03:37 AM EDT
[#14]
That's messed up. I have used some of their other products and they were nice but that looks like a 12 year old was given some aluminum to bend when he was bored.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 7:53:32 AM EDT
[#15]
I'll try one. But if it doesn't work with a Pearce +1 or even better, a TTI +1, I have no use for it.

Dave N
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 8:17:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Here's the G42 kit for comparison.

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 9:37:56 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm going to hold out for these.

Comes with a spring too

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 9:47:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Comes with a spring too

http://i.imgur.com/oV7zwTS.jpg
View Quote

That is waaaaaay more length than I want to add to the grip of my 43. I use the standard 6 round mags for ankle and pocket carry as a BUG and a ground down Pearce +1 for IWB.

I was hoping to add the Magguts to both for 7+1 with the standard base plate and 8+1 with the Pearce. I was planning to buy 5 or 6 of the G43 kits from Magguts until I saw that spring.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 9:49:14 AM EDT
[#19]
^^  Who makes those?  ^^
-- they look like +2s.  I'm happy with my TTI +2s now that they come with a spring (even though the spring is too long/tight and I'm a bit worried it's gonna spread my feed lips).  The Pearces are a good value though.
----------
I'm fine trying these maggut flat springs.  I'll have to read up on the history, but technology has done a long way in the last 10, much less 30 years.
---
ETA:  my filed down OEM follower, which was turned into a +1 (with OEM spring not clipped) has now been 100% for over 300rds now.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 9:51:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The MagGuts spring and follower packages allow the magazine to hold an extra round. Their models for other guns use a standard style coil spring with the low profile steel follower. I guess that wouldn't work for the 43 so they came up with the flat spring.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have the Taran tactical base pad and spring set. 8+1

And once broken in, works great.  Feels great in hand.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 9:58:48 AM EDT
[#21]
It definitely would have worked with a normal coil spring--my filed down follower has proved that to me...even if it's only been 300-350rds.
-
But I'll measure the flat spring when I get it, then every 200rds to see if it is holding up well.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 10:49:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That is waaaaaay more length than I want to add to the grip of my 43. I use the standard 6 round mags for ankle and pocket carry as a BUG and a ground down Pearce +1 for IWB.

I was hoping to add the Magguts to both for 7+1 with the standard base plate and 8+1 with the Pearce. I was planning to buy 5 or 6 of the G43 kits from Magguts until I saw that spring.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Comes with a spring too

Joe - those are the vickers +2's

As for size - this is an IWB for me and the length is not end of the world as I've been carrying a G19 or G17.

The width is what makes it a GREAT carry option for me. I'm currently using the Pearce +1's and they are great. The +2's would probably be for secondary mag needs or the range.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 2:09:46 PM EDT
[#23]
I ordered a couple of kits to try.

I run TTI+2's on all my G43 mags using factory springs, with zero issues. One of my G43's has well over 1000rds thru it.

I will try the Magguts kit in one of my TTI+2 mags and report back.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 2:26:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

As for size - this is an IWB for me and the length is not end of the world as I've been carrying a G19 or G17.

The width is what makes it a GREAT carry option for me. I'm currently using the Pearce +1's and they are great. The +2's would probably be for secondary mag needs or the range.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Comes with a spring too

I'm of the same feeling with the 26.  The factory plus 2 isn't small.  But it's still a bit smaller than a G19.   This makes a lot of sense to me.  But I IWB also.  Pocket or ankle carry would be a whole different issue I'm guessing.  

I've never seen a mag with a flatspring before Triburst.  I think you would be kind of a guinea pig on that one.   But hey, it could work.  ??
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 3:00:55 PM EDT
[#25]
I had some Beretta 92 mags with a spring like that back in the 90s that held 17 rounds.  They worked fine for me.  That said, I'm perfectly happy with my 6 rd flush mag in the gun and TTI +2s on the spares.  I do wish they made longer 8-9 rd factory mags so I didn't have to spend $120 on TTI extensions though.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 3:56:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Has anyone tested their +1 or +2 extensions extensively with their defensive ammo? I've read elsewhere that some are having issues with feeding when using hotter ammo. This doesn't seem to occur with practice stuff.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 4:13:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Well, I'm gonna be a Guinea-pig huckleberry it seems.  Just picked up one.
I DO wonder why ALL gun mags aren't using these if it adds an extra round and is 100% reliable.  Glad to hear a beretta mag came with one, but makes me wonder why they quit using them.
--
As for +2s with hot ammo...Can you be more specific?
I only have about 100-150rds of hot stuff (HST--124, 147 and some Critical defense and duty--115 and 135) through two TTI +2 mags with no issues (had fail to feed last round with my original spring on ONE of them--before Glock changed springs).  I carry with the 2 in it (and a 2 as backup sometimes).  I also have two Pearces, but was waiting on magguts to come out...not sure if they've had more than a few mags of hot stuff, but no issues.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 4:14:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Has anyone tested their +1 or +2 extensions extensively with their defensive ammo? I've read elsewhere that some are having issues with feeding when using hotter ammo. This doesn't seem to occur with practice stuff.
View Quote

Ran 200 rounds of golden saber through mine with Pearce +1's yesterday
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 4:46:52 PM EDT
[#29]
eviljoe and Finslayer, the theory I gather is that increased slide speed due to the hotter ammo and/or the RSA getting broken in with a lot of use causes it to outrun the mag spring.

Whether this applies to those extension without an increased rate spring, or whether it's just a bunch of crap IDK.

ETA: Wasn't this the cause with feeding issues on the Gen3 .40's?
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 4:51:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I DO wonder why ALL gun mags aren't using these if it adds an extra round and is 100% reliable.  Glad to hear a beretta mag came with one, but makes me wonder why they quit using
View Quote

cheaper to use a coil spring, maybe?  It's worth a look to me, so I ordered one, as well.

I imagine Magguts has  wanted to get these on the market since day 1 of the G43, so I'm putting my faith in them that the reason it didn't come out earlier is that they were doing a lot of T&E on this design.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 5:16:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I DO wonder why ALL gun mags aren't using these if it adds an extra round and is 100% reliable.  Glad to hear a beretta mag came with one, but makes me wonder why they quit using them.
--
As for +2s with hot ammo...Can you be more specific?
I only have about 100-150rds of hot stuff (HST--124, 147 and some Critical defense and duty--115 and 135) through two TTI +2 mags with no issues (had fail to feed last round with my original spring on ONE of them--before Glock changed springs).  I carry with the 2 in it (and a 2 as backup sometimes).  I also have two Pearces, but was waiting on magguts to come out...not sure if they've had more than a few mags of hot stuff, but no issues.
View Quote

I should clarify they weren't factory mags.  I can't remember who made them though.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 5:27:33 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
  Nope. The whole point of maguts is adding a round without adding magazine length.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The difference between the OEM follower and the TTI +1 is almost nothing. Basically it seems like the OEM mag is a 6.5 round magazine.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 6:07:31 PM EDT
[#33]
I'll say this.

I'm very pleased with my 43 in the 48 hours and 250 rounds of ownership.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 7:39:34 PM EDT
[#34]
You just got it 2 days ago???  Wow.  I just got back from the range with my G26.  It was only my second time.  I love that gun.  Especially with the plus 2.  Only thing is I can't fit two more rounds in the mag.  I was using the loader and the mag just got wider and the rounds wouldn't go deep enough to allow another after 10 were in.    But I almost don't care because the feel of the gun is so much better.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 8:52:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You just got it 2 days ago???  Wow.  I just got back from the range with my G26.  It was only my second time.  I love that gun.  Especially with the plus 2.  Only thing is I can't fit two more rounds in the mag.  I was using the loader and the mag just got wider and the rounds wouldn't go deep enough to allow another after 10 were in.    But I almost don't care because the feel of the gun is so much better.
View Quote

yup!

hit the range saturday and sunday
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 9:07:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Bought mag guts for my Shield and CW380.

All kits promptly got packed back up and sent back.

Those things are an accident waiting to happen.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 9:32:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Bought mag guts for my Shield and CW380.

All kits promptly got packed back up and sent back.

Those things are an accident waiting to happen.
View Quote

How you figure? Mine for the G42 has been 100% with factory base and Pearce +1's.

Dave N
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 11:39:16 PM EDT
[#38]
I personally don't see the need to fuck with a magazine that holds 6 rounds, to make it hold 7.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 12:05:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I personally don't see the need to fuck with a magazine that holds 6 rounds, to make it hold 7.
View Quote

me neither...  But going from 6 rounds to 8 while only adding the length of de-lipped Pearce extension?  That's what I'm hoping will happen.  

Or maybe I just wasted $25.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 2:44:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

yup!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yup!

Sweeeet.  You got me beat.  I only put 140 through the G26 so far.  It has digested everything so far without issue.  UMC 115 fmj, PMC 115fmj,  Hornady Critical Duty 135's, Critical Defense 115's, Federal Hydra shok 124's and 147's, WWB 115 HP, aaaaaaand, I think there was one other kind......  Or maybe not.  I guess that was all of it.  

My crappy korean mag didn't lock back after the rounds were done two times.  And the last round of every mag doesn't eject the same as the rest and just poops straight up not very far.  Bounces off the slide usually.  That's kind of a little annoying.  But still yet not a problem with function.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 7:56:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep. Double stack Glocks are still available.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:52:56 PM EDT
[#42]
My MagGuts showed up today.  I just installed the follower only into the 6 round mag and 7 rounds fit.  I did not put in the MagGuts spring in to see if 7 would fit.  I tried the same with the Pearce +1 extension and could not get the 8th round in with the factory spring and the MagGuts spring.  The follower will not depress down far enough.   I tried it without the base plate lock and 8 would fit with both springs but the rounds would nose dive on removal by hand with both springs.  I  will not have a chance to shoot until next week so I cannot test function during fire.  One thing I have found with the factory spring is that it wants to slid around under the follower and binds when you try to load the first round.

</a>" />
</a>" />
Factory springs shifting to the side.  You have to push them back under to load.

</a>" />
Flat base on left loaded with 7 using flat spring.  Pearce +1 on right with 7 loaded using factory spring.

I attempted to try the MagGuts with my Strike Industries +2 but it broke when I tried to remove it from the mag body.  Luck me I get to call them Monday.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:05:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Weird.  On Glocktalk, someone wrote the magguts wouldn't work with the Pearce or TTI +1.
You sound like you're having better luck.  Did you get the flat-spring to fit in any aftermarket mag-bases?
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:15:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Weird.  On Glocktalk, someone wrote the magguts wouldn't work with the Pearce or TTI +1.
You sound like you're having better luck.  Did you get the flat-spring to fit in any aftermarket mag-bases?
View Quote

The flat spring will not allow 8 to fit with the Pearce +1 base.  I think the follower is hitting the top portion of the base plate lock.

eta,

I tried the MagGuts follower with the flat spring in the Pearce +1 without the lock plate and 8 will fit.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:31:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The flat spring will not allow 8 to fit with the Pearce +1 base.  I think the follower is hitting the top portion of the base plate lock.

eta,

I tried the MagGuts follower with the flat spring in the Pearce +1 without the lock plate and 8 will fit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

eta,

Thanks for being the guinea pig.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:27:09 PM EDT
[#46]
I got mine today also.
No go on 8 rounds with the TTI +1.
Seven rounds fit fine. Smooth feeding with the MagGuts flat spring.

Fired 50 rounds through it without issue.
Mag locked back after last round fired.

We will see how the spring holds up. I wouldn't trust the factory spring in combo with the MagGuts follower. It moves around at the top.

Dave N
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 3:18:26 PM EDT
[#47]
My Magguts showed up today as well.

All my G43 mags have TTI+2 bases with factory springs and followers, all mags have functioned perfectly in two G43s.

I was hoping to gain an additional round with the Magguts parts, giving me 9+1. Sadly, that is not the case. I can still only get 8rds in the mags.

That said, mags ran fine hand cycling dummy rounds and 200rds live fire thru two G43s with TTI+2s.

Since there is nothing to gain for me with the Magguts parts, I will pull them out and pass them along to my cousin who just got a G43 and only runs the factory bases pads.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 3:34:43 PM EDT
[#48]
As long as they've been in development it's really a shame about the goofy spring.  Many like myself won't trust it and they don't work with +1/2 extensions. A standard coil spring likely would have worked with the extensions since the open center would clear the lock plate.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 3:59:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
As long as they've been in development it's really a shame about the goofy spring.  Many like myself won't trust it and they don't work with +1/2 extensions. A standard coil spring likely would have worked with the extensions since the open center would clear the lock plate.
View Quote

They worked with my TTI+2 extensions, they just didn't give me an extra round beyond the extra 2. I was being greedy hoping to get 3 extra!
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:07:46 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

Weird.  Just got mine.
I just tried the magguts flat spring and magguts follower in a Pearce +1, and NO plate and was still like 33% short of getting the 8th round in.  These were 147gr golden Saber's just laying around; I wonder if that had anything to do with it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top