Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2015 9:06:47 AM EDT
I've been playing with a couple of low profile (HSLD) G19 magwells geared towards CCW use lately and, in another thread, I was asked to do a little comparison. Instead of cluttering up that thread I decided to start another. So... Here they are. The magwell on the right is the Suarez International magwell ($70) and the one on the left is the Agency Arms offering ($100).

Like an idiot, I didn't think to take pictures with actual magazines inserted. I can tell you that both function flawlessly with factory Glock mags with factory baseplates. I don't have any magazines with extensions or aftermarket baseplates to try, so, YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:40:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks OP

Which one do you prefer?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:51:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't know that I like one better than the other, really. They are so close in size and function, and the fit and finish is a wash between them.

I had magwells from both companies (SI on a Gen 3 G19 and AA on a Gen 4 G19) and recently needed a third (for another Gen 4 G19). It really just came down to price, and I bought another SI magwell. $30 is a pretty big difference for something like this.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:32:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Does the magwell make a difference in reloads do you see it as a benefit or just extra weight on say a carry pistol?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:57:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does the magwell make a difference in reloads do you see it as a benefit or just extra weight on say a carry pistol?
View Quote

Short answer, yes, it makes a difference.  My USPSA glock doesn't have a magwell and once in a while, I'll begin to insert the mag a tad too far back into the grip and will catch the rounds in the grip hole.  Once I installed the SI magwell on my 19, I ran a few timed drills and I definitely noticed a difference in time.  It wasn't much, but maybe 2 out of 10 reloads would catch without the magwell, whereas none would catch with one.

The other benefit I found was that having one installed on my 19, I no longer pinch my palm skin when reloading.  I don't have really large paws, but once in a while, I'd pinch my skin.  The magwell completely eliminates this.  This probably isn't a big issue with a 17 however.  

As far as extra weight goes, these are aluminum and are not like regular competition magwells, so if weight is desired, look at another magwell because these don't weigh much at all.

In short:  
If you've got big hands and carry a 19 - buy one.  
If you have an extra $100 to blow on your gun - buy one.  
If you occasionally shoot practical matches and also use the gun as a CCW - buy one.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:01:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the side-by-side comparison.  I've been toying with the idea of putting an AA magwell on a carry gun, and I think I might take the plunge soon.  I like the bevel on the heel of the AA magwell better, and it looks like it matches up to the frame a little better along the front edge.

Quoted:
View Quote

It makes a difference for me on my USPSA gun.  It's not a huge difference, but it's noticeable.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:11:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Short answer, yes, it makes a difference. My USPSA glock doesn't have a magwell and once in a while, I'll begin to insert the mag a tad too far back into the grip and will catch the rounds in the grip hole. Once I installed the SI magwell on my 19, I ran a few timed drills and I definitely noticed a difference in time. It wasn't much, but maybe 2 out of 10 reloads would catch without the magwell, whereas none would catch with one.

The other benefit I found was that having one installed on my 19, I no longer pinch my palm skin when reloading. I don't have really large paws, but once in a while, I'd pinch my skin. The magwell completely eliminates this. This probably isn't a big issue with a 17 however.

As far as extra weight goes, these are aluminum and are not like regular competition magwells, so if weight is desired, look at another magwell because these don't weigh much at all.

In short:

If you occasionally shoot practical matches and also use the gun as a CCW - buy one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Short answer, yes, it makes a difference. My USPSA glock doesn't have a magwell and once in a while, I'll begin to insert the mag a tad too far back into the grip and will catch the rounds in the grip hole. Once I installed the SI magwell on my 19, I ran a few timed drills and I definitely noticed a difference in time. It wasn't much, but maybe 2 out of 10 reloads would catch without the magwell, whereas none would catch with one.

The other benefit I found was that having one installed on my 19, I no longer pinch my palm skin when reloading. I don't have really large paws, but once in a while, I'd pinch my skin. The magwell completely eliminates this. This probably isn't a big issue with a 17 however.

In short:

This. All of it.

Any magwell is going to speed reloads at least a little. The trick is keeping it small enough to disappear on a carry gun, yet big enough to make a difference. As you can see above, both add a little funnel to the grip, but neither adds much size.

Neither one weighs much of anything. We're talking fractions of an ounce, if that.

I suffer from the "fat guy in a little suit" thing with my big hands on the G19's compact frame. As mentioned above, the tiny bit of flare these add to the bottom of the grip makes way more difference than I ever would have thought. It does force your grip a little higher, but it also eliminates the "pinch". It's hard to describe, but they just make the gun feel better in my hand.

And yes, you can use one of these in IDPA's CCP division (I still have to hit them with the calipers, but the tape measure says they'll fit in the box) - and - carry it concealed to and from the range.

Just pick the look and/or price you like and give one a try.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:17:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Thanks for the side-by-side comparison. I've been toying with the idea of putting an AA magwell on a carry gun, and I think I might take the plunge soon. I like the bevel on the heel of the AA magwell better, and it looks like it matches up to the frame a little better along the front edge.

View Quote

I like the bevel on the back of the AA, but I like the (very) slight wedge shape of the SI (a little taller on the front). It really is a toss-up.

As for fit to the frame... The SI magwell on my Gen 3 G19 matches perfectly to the front edge of the frame, as does the AA on my Gen 4 G19. I think the variances of molding the polymer frame have more to do with that then the design or manufacturing of the magwells.

You really can't go wrong either way.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:21:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Now I'm really tempted to get one of the DEM magwells for my 17 and see how it compares.  Looking at the design, it too looks to be VERY similar to the AA and SI.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:30:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Now I'm really tempted to get one of the DEM magwells for my 17 and see how it compares. Looking at the design, it too looks to be VERY similar to the AA and SI.
View Quote

I have the Agency trigger in the Gen 4 G19 pictured above with the Agency magwell.

As soon as they release the "new and improved" SI triggers, I'll be putting one in the other Gen 4 G19 pictured above (with the SI magwell) to try.

I have also been running the DEM trigger in a Gen 4 G17, and I'm contemplating a magwell for that gun as well.

See where I'm going with this?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:35:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have the Agency trigger in the Gen 4 G19 pictured above with the Agency magwell.

As soon as they release the "new and improved" SI triggers, I'll be putting one in the other Gen 4 G19 pictured above (with the SI magwell) to try.

I have also been running the DEM trigger in a Gen 4 G17, and I'm contemplating a magwell for that gun as well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Now I'm really tempted to get one of the DEM magwells for my 17 and see how it compares. Looking at the design, it too looks to be VERY similar to the AA and SI.

Why yes, yes I do.

Side note, but relevant, I snagged a few of the SI baspads along with the magwell.  I like them for the most part, but with them being aluminum, I probably wouldn't drop them or they'd end up pretty gnarly very quickly.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:15:33 PM EDT
[#11]
That SI magwell looks exactly like the Salient Arms magwell. I wonder who's actually making them.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:05:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I just got a DEM magwell yesterday, I love it so far. I don't have anything to compare it too, but just playing around with it really speeds up the reloads and also makes the grip more comfortable. its on a Gen 3 17. I'm really liking the DEM stuff, so far Ive got a black dimpled barrel, magwel and fluted guid rod.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:13:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've been playing with a couple of low profile (HSLD) G19 magwells geared towards CCW use lately and, in another thread, I was asked to do a little comparison. Instead of cluttering up that thread I decided to start another. So... Here they are. The magwell on the right is the Suarez International magwell ($70) and the one on the left is the Agency Arms offering ($100).

http://www.vomschmidthaus.com/img/g19_stuff/magwells/g19_magwells_1.jpg
<snip>
View Quote

Is it just me or does the top of the SI look like it needs to be trimmed? (on the right)
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 6:38:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That SI magwell looks exactly like the Salient Arms magwell. I wonder who's actually making them.
View Quote

Ding ding ding! Yea it looks identical to my salient. I use vickars baseplates on my mags and they match up well the the bevels
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:30:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Ding ding ding! Yea it looks identical to my salient. I use vickars baseplates on my mags and they match up well the the bevels
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got a pic? I use the same base plates. Mine are beat to fuck but that's how I do it
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:24:57 PM EDT
[#16]
My Agency magwell has worked just fine with the Tarans, although there is a bit of a wear area where the detent on the taran plate smacks into the magwell because I have a tendency to very firmly insert my mags.

My favorite part of the magwell, as others have said, is a little extra real estate for my massive hands. It keeps my fingers clear from the mag entrance, so no risk of pinched skin.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:47:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Is it really worth the money ? I've never had an issue while doing a combat reload ? I was just looking at the $100 price tag
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:25:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Got a pic? I use the same base plates. Mine are beat to fuck but that's how I do it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I also use taran in my gun as well and there is a small spot where the pin hits the magwell as mentioned above with the agency magwell
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:53:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:56:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:30:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Is it really worth the money ? I've never had an issue while doing a combat reload ? I was just looking at the $100 price tag
View Quote

Read my post above for your answer.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 6:32:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My Agency magwell has worked just fine with the Tarans, although there is a bit of a wear area where the detent on the taran plate smacks into the magwell because I have a tendency to very firmly insert my mags.

My favorite part of the magwell, as others have said, is a little extra real estate for my massive hands. It keeps my fingers clear from the mag entrance, so no risk of pinched skin.

http://i57.tinypic.com/aw6lz.jpg
View Quote

What holster is that?
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 3:49:33 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

REALLY want DEM to release their G19 magwell.

Barring that, I know the Agency feels great but it appears that the Suarez may fit a little better. I assume, though, that "Suarez" is Gabriel Suarez, of overzealous training and fraud charge fame? Makes me hesitate spending money with them if that is the case.
View Quote

One and the same. I put off spending any money on anything from him for a long time. Then I got one of his Glock slides cut for an RMR in a trade. It was a quality piece, so I opened my mind (and my wallet) and tried a few of his other products (He did have the - FIRST - flat Glock trigger on the market). Whatever you think about the man, it's hard to argue that he's putting out some quality stuff these days.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 4:40:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 12:35:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What holster is that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i57.tinypic.com/aw6lz.jpg

What holster is that?

That is a GunCraft Krypto.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 12:42:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 8:42:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 8:19:56 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

BlahBlah- any issues with your mags dropping free with either magwell? I picked up one of the Agency magwells while waiting on the DEM magwell and all but one of my mags stick about half way out. Some can be shaken free or will drop free if released perfectly vertically. They all seem to stop about halfway out, whether they are Glock factory 19 mags or Magpul G17 mags.
View Quote

Nope. No issues. I was at the range on Friday and ran several hundred rounds through each gun. All mags dropped free.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 10:59:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 3:48:42 PM EDT
[#30]
My magwell (G19.4) seems to be preventing one mag with an OEM +2 base and both Vickers plates from fully seating.
Anyone else have any issues with this?  
Note:  I CAN slam it in without too much force, but then I'll have occasional failures to feed.  For now, the Vick bases all came off and I'm not using the +2.
I'm going to measure it and see if its the mag or what.

Anyone else run into magwell issues?
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 6:16:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 8:59:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Most of my mags go in easily, but those 3 had to be slammed home.
That caused them to sit lower, which caused pretty regular failures (loaded with 5-10 rounds, I'd get a failure every 1-4 mags).
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 11:23:55 AM EDT
[#33]
can these be used with a 17 cut down to 19 mags?
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 11:49:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 3:37:40 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

can these be used with a 17 cut down to 19 mags?
View Quote

I would say no.
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 7:26:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Bump. Anyone heard anything about the Deus Ex Machine mag well?
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 9:00:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 10:05:41 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm looking for a decent "minimalist" mag well for my Gen 3 G17L......anyone got a lead on an Agency Arms G17 one?
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 11:35:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 9:31:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 11:30:02 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm waiting for the Zev Pro Magwell personally.
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 11:31:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Huh? Google search turns up nothing. Links?
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 12:58:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 1:00:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 11:33:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

They have a pic with it included on their FB page
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh? Google search turns up nothing. Links?

They have a pic with it included on their FB page

I got to play with an early prototype back in May and I liked it a lot.

Mini Recce with some Zev goodness. by Two Sierra, on Flickr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top