Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2015 2:40:17 PM EDT
So I have recently got a G17 and I think Glocks are starting to grow on me. In the past I had always thought Glock grips felt like a 2x4, until I learned how to properly hold a pistol and now I am liking it. I still don't like the Glock U rear sight but that is something that can be fixed with a sharpie. Plus I am really liking that HUGE aftermarket for Glocks as well.

Now I have a SA ported XD40 (which I've had for 10 years) but I won't carry for safety reasons and I also want to get into IDPA (which doesn't allow ported barrels). SA does not want to sell me a replacement non-ported barrel. Trying to find an aftermarket plain 40s&w 4" barrel has been kind of nauseating with just about everyone not having one in stock. As a matter of fact, trying to find ANY decent aftermarket parts for the XD seems to be a chore. I really like the gun and enjoy shooting it, but it has pretty much sat in my safe since I got my CHL.

So I am seeing some police trade in G22s for around $350. If could find a 22C, then I could still have the ported barrel for fun shooting, but get a non-ported factory barrel from midway/brownells for daily carry/IDPA for about $140. Then also the entire aftermarket would be open to my new gun.

Anyone have any more thoughts on advantages/disadvantages to add?
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 2:51:29 PM EDT
[#1]
It seems you have listed the most important reasons, the ones that matter to you. And that is all that matters.
8-9 years ago I sold 4 Glocks and swore them off until last month when I bought a G26  and today I am going to pick up my new G30.  Can't argue with dependability and you are correct, having a large aftermarket following is nice.
Do it and enjoy.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 3:24:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I just picked up a g22 police trade in today for $350 with three mags and case.  I had traded a g19 for a sig p220 this spring.  However, I found that I cannot shoot a sig for s**t.  they're great pistols, but I can't shoot them. I'm not a great shot with a glock but I have already been to the range and the g22 was much better (for me).
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 3:37:02 PM EDT
[#3]
G22's & G23's can be had very easily and very inexpensively.  The .40\.357 Glock people are in a buyers market.  LEO trade ins everywhere.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 4:17:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy and run what you like and feel confident in.  That said there is a decent amount of aftermarket stuff out there for XD's

https://www.pistolgear.com  carries a lot of good stuff including drop in replacement barrels that match the factory profile.  You can run an 5 inch barrel in a 4 inch slide if you so desire.

Also have you done any reading over at xdtalk.com forum?  There are lots of XD related resources over there.

I have an XD-40 Tactical that has nearly 40K through it, shooting mostly USPSA L-10 and some 3-gun.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:52:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.pistolgear.com  carries a lot of good stuff including drop in replacement barrels that match the factory profile.
View Quote

I noticed this site when looking for a barrel. They do seem to have a better collection of parts than even midway/brownells. However, the replacement barrel for 40S&W is also out of stock for them with no ETA .

I guess it doesn't help to have a generally unpopular caliber for a gun line that is also not as popular.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:39:07 AM EDT
[#6]
The G22 is a great gun with plenty of after market support.
Then again Glock period has great support.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:17:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I also seems to notice that the G22 carries 15 rounds compared to 12 in the XD40. Even the G23 has 1 more (13 rounds) than the XD.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:41:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I also seems to notice that the G22 carries 15 rounds compared to 12 in the XD40. Even the G23 has 1 more (13 rounds) than the XD.
View Quote

The original XD-40 was not designed for 40S&W it was merely a XD-9 frame with a 40S&W upper, barrel and slide.  The XD-40 magazines are thus 9mm width bodies with 40S&W feed lips so they are not a true 40S&W double stack.

Your XD-40 Magazine when loaded looks like the bottom diagram (along with Beretta 96 and a few others).  Most other 40S&W magazines for gun designed from the ground up as a 40S&W pistol would look like the top pictures including the XDm-40

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:57:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd jump from an XD to a Glock in a heart beat, but I hate XD's.  Tall, blocky slide and the triggers have a vague, spongy break to me.  The grip safety is stupid too.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:46:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'd jump from an XD to a Glock in a heart beat, but I hate XD's.  Tall, blocky slide and the triggers have a vague, spongy break to me.  The grip safety is stupid too.
View Quote

An XD trigger after a good trigger job leaves the Glock's stack and squish trigger in the dust.  The fact that the XD striker if full cocked allows for far less pre-travel, zero over-travel, and a shorter reset than is possible with a Glock.  The XD is far from perfect but of all the tactical tupperware out there the XD trigger has more potential than most.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:48:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

An XD trigger after a good trigger job leaves the Glock's stack and squish trigger in the dust.  The fact that the XD striker if full cocked allows for far less pre-travel, zero over-travel, and a shorter reset than is possible with a Glock.  The XD is far from perfect but of all the tactical tupperware out there the XD trigger has more potential than most.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To each his own.  I've shot an XDM with a PRP kit in it.  The pull was light, but it still sucked.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:52:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I disagree I got rid of my XD because I hated the trigger.  I hated how it reseted, the trigger felt was just blah, the trigger configurations available compared to the Glock are a joke, and I can tune my Glock trigger with a few springs and a connector to be leagues better than the XD.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:07:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Have you shot a G22 before? Try one before you get rid of your XD-40. I liked my XD-40 over the G22. I don't have anything against Glocks but I have never liked them in larger calibers.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:09:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I disagree I got rid of my XD because I hated the trigger.  I hated how it reseted, the trigger felt was just blah, the trigger configurations available compared to the Glock are a joke, and I can tune my Glock trigger with a few springs and a connector to be leagues better than the XD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't mind you being wrong.  Find an XD trigger after Canyon Creek has done a trigger job to it.  It will rival many 1911 triggers.  There is a lot of potential there.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:36:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Have you shot a G22 before? Try one before you get rid of your XD-40. I liked my XD-40 over the G22. I don't have anything against Glocks but I have never liked them in larger calibers.
View Quote

I've definitely been thinking about that. My local indoor range has a G22 for rent. Although the it is going to be a bit of an apples to oranges comparison because my XD is ported which makes it super easy (and fun) to target shoot but not the safest thing for concealed carry.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:53:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I actually do like the the factory trigger pull on the XD more than my G17. I did notice that there does not seem to be an easy trigger job on the XD without buying a kit. I am going to do the $0.25 trigger job on my G17 in the next week or so and see what it feels like after that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top