Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2015 2:40:16 PM EDT
I've mostly shot HK USP models and 1911s but have decided to take the plunge into Glocks by trading for a Gen 4 Glock 17. I remember reading that the early 17s had some problems out of the gate but seems that is ironed out now. How are the current production 17s now?

I'll be keeping it mostly stock for the time being, may add night sights, as I will be teaching my girlfriend how to shoot as she is about to have a career in a field which requires her to qualify with a full size striker fired 9mm, among other firearms.

Thanks,
Coach
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 2:53:36 PM EDT
[#1]
The Gen4 whatever is good to go.  They had issues using the same recoil spring as the 10mm Kurz so the 9mm pistols have a specific recoil springs.  I have a G19.4 and it is one sweet pistol but my 17 is a Gen2 still a sweet shooter though.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 3:09:32 PM EDT
[#2]
As said above, the new recoil spring solved the issues with the earlier models. If you buy a new one, it will have the new spring.

I just got a 17.4 last week and put 120 flawless rounds through it. I am going to try to get to the range today and put another 100 or so through it.

I swapped out the stock sights with Ameriglo sights just like I did with my other Glocks.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 3:20:09 PM EDT
[#3]
If you don't have mags look at the Magpul Glock 17 mags.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 3:53:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 4:13:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I cc my G17 just fine. For me, the 19 wasn't enough smaller to make enough difference to make me overcome my dislike of the grip. The difference in the hump on the grip makes the 17 noticeably more comfortable.  This despite having small hands.

YMMV of course.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 4:15:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Following is JMHO, so treat it accordingly:

Skip the G17 entirely.

Is this pistol going to be used for CC, now or down the road?

If so, get a G19 instead.  It will serve almost any function as well as the G17 and conceals easier.  (If you have huge hands, disregard this -- many with Hulk-hands find the G17 easier to control.)

If not, get a G34 instead.  I love my G34s so much more than my G17s that I still wish someone had given me this same advice many years ago.  YMMV, so see my first qualifier above again.

View Quote

Agree completely.  G34's long sight radius would be more forgiving to a new shooter learning the ropes, IMO.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 4:24:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought my Gen4 G17 in July 2012. It has been 100%, so I think it's safe to say they're GTG. As for the argument between the 19, 17, and 34, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. I have all three, and I definitely wouldn't get rid of my 17. It is my go to carry gun during the fall/winter.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 4:37:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I am going to join in the dissent and say get the G17 it is a sweet as pistol and you will not regret buying it.  Either way you will end up with one if you start getting into the Glock line up.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 4:46:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 4:54:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Not really a dissent, as I feel certain that mine is the minority opinion by far.  But it is still my opinion, after a love affair with the various Glock models that is two decades long and still going strong.

(And there is NOTHING wrong with the G17, FTR... heck, I have nine of them.  I just prefer the others more.)

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am going to join in the dissent ...

Not really a dissent, as I feel certain that mine is the minority opinion by far.  But it is still my opinion, after a love affair with the various Glock models that is two decades long and still going strong.

(And there is NOTHING wrong with the G17, FTR... heck, I have nine of them.  I just prefer the others more.)

We can agree to agree..... Because I love my 19 I do declare .... It carries well, shoots just as good as my 34 and 17, and is dead nuts reliable and accurate.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 7:29:02 PM EDT
[#11]
With the right holster the g17 conceals nicely. That being said I want a g19 to go along with my 17 and 23. :)
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 11:41:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I've had several G19s for concealed carry and have been very impressed. However, since open carry passed in Texas I bought a gen 4 FDE G17 and I think I'll never go back to the G19.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 5:45:28 AM EDT
[#13]
The G17 is likely the most reliable, durable, long lasting auto handgun made.  There's a thread somewhere on Arfcom from a guy in Las Vegas who runs a rental operation and runs G17s along with many other popular guns.  He says the G17 is the longest lasting and most durable gun of all he rents.   He's got G17's that have over 120,000 rounds through them!  He had some with cracked slides after 120k, but they were gen III and it is believed worn recoil springs let the slide slam harder, causing the cracks. (They still ran with the cracked slides!)  He said they didn't bother to replace the springs because Glock gets them back and gives them new slides and recoil  springs for free, anyway.  The Gen 4 should not experience this because the recoil spring is designed to last longer.  Why they want it to last longer than that is beyond me.  Who runs that many rounds through a gun in a lifetime??  Anyway, the British military just adopted the standard Gen 4 Glock 17.  They were sick of rebuilding old Browning High Powers that were breaking all the time and had become unreliable.  

You won't regret that G17.  You'll fall in love with it.  It is the trusty pickup truck of handguns.  The only problem is that it will breed more Glocks, from little bitty ones to big giant ones, like the grey G20 that somehow appeared in my safe this week.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 12:12:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Thank you for the information. I'm a big guy and will have no problem concealing it, I used to cc a USP Expert with the jet funnel magazine well easily. If I like the 17, I'll eventually spring for a 34 MOS when I get back into shooting competitions heavily again.

What kind of lube do y'all use?
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 12:30:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Personally I vote for a 19 but the trade is for a 17 so that's that. I also believe the 19/34 combo is best but a 17 will get you started. I've been shooting competitions for 9 years now and Glocks are the most trouble free low maintenance gun out of all of them. You asked about lube, LOL, whatever you want if you think it's needed. As Ken Hackathorn once said "if you want to treat your gun like your lawnmower buy a damn Glock".

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 1:04:54 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote

Slip 2000.  But the only thing I lube on a glock is the place where the connector and the trigger bar meet.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 5:05:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

TW25-B grease.

Doesn't migrate like oils. Use it on all my semi-autos.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 10:57:11 PM EDT
[#18]
The question of whether to choose a G-19, or a G-17 is moot.  'Full size' means a G-17.  (Too bad, because I, too, prefer the G-19!)  Brand new plastic pistols seem to perform better AFTER being broken in with the first 250-300 rounds, or so.  

I'd also suggest loading up the magazines, and letting them sit around fully loaded for two or three days BEFORE using them.  I'd do the same thing with the pistol too.  Lock the slide to the rear, and leave it locked up like that for two or three days BEFORE you take it out shooting for the first time.  (Life will be easier!)  
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:26:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks, that helps. I have Frog Lube and Slide Glide. As for loading the mags and locking back the slide, I'm a believer in that method as well.

What's the general consensus on the MagPul mags?
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 9:35:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I've had a Gen4 G17 for a little over 2 years now and it's probably my favorite pistol I've had. As for the question of the recoil spring, the factory RSA never gave me any problems, but I changed it out for one from Glockstore (stainless steel guide rod, factory spring weight) just because I wanted to. I still have the original for a spare, like I said, it worked fine. As for the G17 vs. G19 discussion, I'd say this: the G17 is great, but now I kinda want a G26 for ease of concealment(even though I find myself kinda wanting a .45 these days, but that's another story); already having a G17, there wouldn't really be enough difference in size to justify owning a G19 as well. The G19 would kinda bridge that gap between concealed carry vs. a full size service pistol, so if you were only gonna have one, the G19 might be the way to go. Either way you go, it's hard to beat a Glock. God bless.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 11:27:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thanks, that helps. I have Frog Lube and Slide Glide. As for loading the mags and locking back the slide, I'm a believer in that method as well.

View Quote

Mine work other than that ....... They are featherweight I do not know if it would make a lot of difference when you have a belt full but they are noticeably lighter.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 10:36:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, I've learned to love FrogLube; it's all in putting it on the gun in the right way!  I did something yesterday that I really haven't done before:  I used my fingers to smear the entire outside of my G-19.  Then I got my wife's hairdryer, and baked everything in for about 5 minutes, or so, before wiping all of the drips and excess off.  

No big deal I've done all this before; but, this time I let the heated frame and slide sit for almost 6 hours inside a warm room.  At the end of the day, when I finally got around to wiping it down, I was very surprised to see that the FL had left a deep penetrating luster on the pistol - It really looks good!  Glock polymer shines up nicely with FL on it; and my Glock slide, with it's ho-humm factory finish, seems smoother and more scratch resistant, too.  

I use Sentry Solutions, 'Tuff-Glide' and, 'Smooth-Kote' on the inside of my plastic pistols; and I clean my bores with Flitz Metal Polish and a Hoppe's brush.  My mag springs and RSA's have all taken a nice, 'set'.  It's not uncommon for me to go through 4 or 5 thousand rounds without experiencing any sort of gun-related problem.  When each of my Glocks was new, yes, I did experience a variety of FTF's, FTE's, and FTRTB's.  (Which is how I learned to give my plastic frame pistols a little extra break-in and special care!)  
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 4:52:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Got my Gen4 17 a couple years ago have hardly put it down the whole time.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:43:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Eezeox is worth looking at. I use it on my G19 and it works fine. I have about 1600 rounds through mine.  I really like Glock.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:54:36 PM EDT
[#25]
I ended up in possession of a Glock 21 Gen 4...

I've not stripped it down, but it feels good in the hand.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:15:42 PM EDT
[#26]
it dosent matter wich one you get, you'll get more later on, 17,19,26.34, you'll end up with them all sooner or later
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 1:27:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Funny someone mentioned grip and hand size.  
I think the 17/34 feel better than the 19 (I only have 19s).
I think I read the 17/34 even had a shorter trigger pull or smaller grip circumference somewhere along the grip compared to the compact 19.

I'll likely get a 34 or 17, but Ill have to dye or paint all my 19 mags to tell them apart.
Unless your gf has huge hands, the 21 won't be the easiest to hold/control.  Better than starting out on a 27 I suppose.  :)
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:03:50 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm still trading a different pistol on a G4 G17. Just posted about the 21 since it popped my Glock cherry.

Soon I'll have that. Hoping early this coming week, by next weekend at the latest I believe.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 2:30:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:16:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did magpul fix the issues that they were having with them not being able to smoothly drop and be pushed in?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:50:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Did magpul fix the issues that they were having with them not being able to smoothly drop and be pushed in?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interested in this and night sight options that allow you to release the slide by snagging the sights on holster/belt/whatever.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:17:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Interested in this and night sight options that allow you to release the slide by snagging the sights on holster/belt/whatever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got my first glock (gen4 17) 2 weeks ago. Took it out 2 days later. Already put in the ghost rocket 3.5 connector and glock extended slide stop/release. Will put in the ghost spring kit tomorrow, and trijicon night sights will be here on the 1st.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:08:41 PM EDT
[#33]
So I took out the G4 G21 today for the first time.  I've been dry firing it  after doing a basic field strip and lubed the points the manual stated plus swabbed the barrel.

Gun functioned fine for the 100 rounds I put through it, no stoppages or anything.  It did eject a few rounds onto the bill of my hat, though, but it didn't give me any stoppages or other problems.

Felt pretty nice not having to reload after 8 shots, recoil was pretty much the same as my MC Operator with a TLR-1S and a magwell.

Trigger was pretty heavy, buddy said it was even heavy for a Glock.  So whenever my parts get in he will show me how to disassemble, reassemble, and what contact points to polish so that I'll be able to whenever I get the 17.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:09:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got one of the new issue Magpul GL9 mags and have put about 100 rounds through it and it drops free both when its fully loaded and unloaded.  I am running it in a G17 for now until I get a G19.  So far there has been no issues at all from the mag.  All of that being said, the mags are about $16.00 a piece.  You can get a factory Glock 17 mag from CDNN for $19.99 and they run through them pretty regularly.  I think that I will spend the couple $$'s more to get the factory mags over the Magpul ones.  This has just been my experience and thoughts on the 1 Magpul GL9 that I have.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:15:12 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm sure the magpul magazines will get tweaked and improved. Honestly I'd use them for the range, but use OEM for serious things.

The ETS magazines also look promising

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:31:46 PM EDT
[#36]
GREAT choice!  Don't listen to the BS about issues, there NEVER were any issues!  A couple "Basement gunsmiths that don't know what they're monkeying with!  The Gen4 G17 is THE BEST 9mm you can buy!
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:40:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was never an issue. They had a snafu where the mags would cause failures in 19s and 26s. They instantly admitted they screwed up, fixed the problem, and replaced every affected mag body free of charge.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:45:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I got one of the new issue Magpul GL9 mags and have put about 100 rounds through it and it drops free both when its fully loaded and unloaded.  I am running it in a G17 for now until I get a G19.  So far there has been no issues at all from the mag.  All of that being said, the mags are about $16.00 a piece.  You can get a factory Glock 17 mag from CDNN for $19.99 and they run through them pretty regularly.  I think that I will spend the couple $$'s more to get the factory mags over the Magpul ones.  This has just been my experience and thoughts on the 1 Magpul GL9 that I have.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Magpul mags are $16 shipped. CDNN (who has the best price on mags) has $10 flat shipping.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 1:46:33 PM EDT
[#39]
This coming weekend I'll be picking up the G4 G17.

In the mean time, I polished the mating surfaces of the G4 G21, installed the Glock minus connector, and put in a Vicker's slide stop.  I've not tried any other extended slide stops, but I can drop the slide via slidestop easier than when the stock slide stop was on.  I will probably still continue to use the slingshot method as that's how I trained, always good to be capable to perform it both ways.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 2:46:05 PM EDT
[#40]
With regards to the lube question,

Truth is, you can run a glock bone dry.  I like to use really a really light clp like rem oil, basically sprayes everywhere over and in the whole gun, then wipe the outside down.  But everyone has a different method that works for them, because it really doesn't matter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top