Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2015 11:45:24 PM EDT
I know there's no real point with factory mags working well, but theoretically couldn't you squeeze an extra round or two in, if the magazine sides were wider (no plastic)?
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:02:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Seems like I remember in the early 90's, someone came out with one.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:45:35 AM EDT
[#2]
A midsized Police Department near Kansas City Missouri early on transitioned to Glocks.  I do not remember the manufacturer, but they ditched the factory magazines and issued steel magazines.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:48:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes many absolute crap trash steel mags were made especially just prior to the awb 1994. None are worth a dam and will pretty much do nothing but malfunction and chew up your plastic mag release.
Avoid like the plague
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:49:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes many absolute crap trash steel mags were made especially just prior to the awb 1994. None are worth a dam and will pretty much do nothing but malfunction and chew up your plastic mag release.
Avoid like the plague
View Quote

I was going to say it seems like a metal mag would be rough on the plastic mag release.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:01:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't plan on grabbing any, especially with Magpul and Korean ones out... just curious about the history
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:36:36 AM EDT
[#6]
USA mags made them. They were garbage.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:21:14 PM EDT
[#7]
What would be the point the space saved in the mag by making just a steel mag would maybe MAYBE if you are lucky get 1 more round of 9mm in the mag but I seriously doubt that.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:29:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Not saying it makes sense, just curious if anyone did it in the past.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:39:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I tried Scherer mags a while back in a GLOCK 20 and 29.

After much disappointment, I learned that they only magazine that functions reliably in a GLOCK is a GLOCK magazine.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:34:24 AM EDT
[#10]
During the ban people were using metal USA mags and sending the gun to Aerotek to have a metal mag release installed.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:48:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I learned that they only magazine that functions reliably in a GLOCK is a GLOCK magazine.
View Quote

...and post-recall Magpuls.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:23:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Triple K made some too.  They weren't any wider. they had little bumps on them to to make up for the thinner sides. they were crappy too...
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:23:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't see how the sides could be thinner to squeeze in any additional rounds, and still lock properly with the mag release (since the release doesn't protrude into the magazine body, but is rather stopped on the outside).  The inside diameter would seem to be X, while the inside of the grip frame would be X+ a not inconsiderable Y.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top