Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2015 9:50:29 PM EDT
So I've noticed lately that when shooting my Glocks, the slide won't go to lock back when the mag is empty.  Some of them are older guns that I've had for a while, but one of them is a brand new G34 that I shot for the first time today.  I'm assuming that it is because I am riding the slide stop with my normal grip.  It doesn't happen with any of my other handguns.  What can I do to alleviate this?
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:02:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I filed down the stop/release thing to make it narrower on my G35 because my hand was activating it.  If that doesn't work it's of course your grip.  Pulling your support hand back instead of rolling it forward so much will take your hand off the stop.  Well, it does for me anyway.

ETA: I guess you could try one of the aftermarket parts.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:07:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Pull your left hand/thumb muscle down a bit. I hit the stop a bunch of times the first time I shot my Vickers 17. Moving my hand down a bit solved the problem. I have no issues with standard and OEM extended parts FWIW.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:42:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pull your left hand/thumb muscle down a bit. I hit the stop a bunch of times the first time I shot my Vickers 17. Moving my hand down a bit solved the problem. I have no issues with standard and OEM extended parts FWIW.
View Quote

I have had this trouble a lot I am trying to learn to shoot with my right thumb on my left hand.  I had this trouble with my PPS also.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:47:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I curl my right thumb OVER my left thumb--as taught by Kyle Defoor.  
I've NEVER had a problem until I got the Aero-Tek extended release...but it also seems to have a weak/wonky spring.  I emailed them, but they never got back to me.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:16:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I replace the extended slide stop with the standard slide stop.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:25:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Ghost also makes a bullet forward slide release that moved the slide release away from my grip.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:38:30 AM EDT
[#7]
My right thumb rides in the depression on the left side of the frame and my left thumb rides 'under' the right one.  I know this may not be 'proper' form, but it works for me.  I also have installed 'Ghost' extended slide locks on al of our Glocks.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:20:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I put a lot of pressure inward on the gun with both my hands, but I suffered from deactivating the slide stop on slide lock. I also suffered from activating the slide lock too early when rounds were still in the magazine. I have an extremely high and tight grip though. Here is how I solved both problems.

I went back to the standard OEM flat slide stop. Removed the vickers slide stop and OEM extended off my glocks. I THEN cut my slide stops horizantally on the flat face portion of the slide stop. If you look closely you will see that that there are lines running across the flat face of the slide stop. I basically cut off half the length of the slide stop to create a smaller profile one and recontoured the stop and deburred it. The combination of switching back to the OEM flat slide stop prevented me from accidentally activating it early with rounds still in the mag. As my high grip no longer caught on the slide stop and brought it upward during firing. Removing material off the slide stop prevented me from putting so much pressure on the slide stop with the support hand thumb swell by removing most of the surface area my thumb swell pressed against on (more of my thumb swell now only presses up against the frame and not the surface area of the slide stop).

I have done this on my Glock 19 carry, 17 HD, and 34 IDPA/USPSA and no longer run into any of these problems!

Best of luck!
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:58:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I noticed I did the exact opposite with my new Vickers G19 with the Vickers slide stop. When firing +P rounds I had the slide lock back because I bumped it during recoil. May just put the stock one back in since that is what I'm used to. IDK.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:12:37 PM EDT
[#10]
^ I removed my vickers as well because of this exact reason!
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:13:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ghost also makes a bullet forward slide release that moved the slide release away from my grip.
View Quote

This works. I operate it with my support hand.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:27:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I had the problem of keeping the slide lock from working when I first got my G17. I had to do a little live fire practicing with the brain engaged, focusing on not squeezing with my thumbs until one day I didn't have to think about it. Really didn't take long. Shoot tactical comps and things now, no problems, high grip thumbs forward.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 7:22:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:30:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the advice guys, looks like I've got a couple of things to try.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:50:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I replace the extended slide stop with the standard slide stop.
View Quote

This...
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:33:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I put a lot of pressure inward on the gun with both my hands, but I suffered from deactivating the slide stop on slide lock. I also suffered from activating the slide lock too early when rounds were still in the magazine. I have an extremely high and tight grip though. Here is how I solved both problems.

I went back to the standard OEM flat slide stop. Removed the vickers slide stop and OEM extended off my glocks. I THEN cut my slide stops horizantally on the flat face portion of the slide stop. If you look closely you will see that that there are lines running across the flat face of the slide stop. I basically cut off half the length of the slide stop to create a smaller profile one and recontoured the stop and deburred it. The combination of switching back to the OEM flat slide stop prevented me from accidentally activating it early with rounds still in the mag. As my high grip no longer caught on the slide stop and brought it upward during firing. Removing material off the slide stop prevented me from putting so much pressure on the slide stop with the support hand thumb swell by removing most of the surface area my thumb swell pressed against on (more of my thumb swell now only presses up against the frame and not the surface area of the slide stop).

I have done this on my Glock 19 carry, 17 HD, and 34 IDPA/USPSA and no longer run into any of these problems!

Best of luck!
View Quote

I grip the same way and have this problem about 50% of the time. How about a pic or two of the mod?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:00:14 PM EDT
[#17]
I hate the Vickers slide stop wouldn't allow me to slingshot the slide for some reason. I love the Vickers extended mag release on all my Glocks though.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 3:56:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Go back to the 70's teacup grip like I do.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:52:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Your grip should put pressure on the sides of the gun. Not down on it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 10:41:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I grip the same way and have this problem about 50% of the time. How about a pic or two of the mod?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Best of luck!

Here you go. This is the 19 I carry everyday. See closely the modified slide stop.

NOTE: be sure to debur your slide stop after cutting it. Depending on how clean of a cut you did (I used a mill) you may need to bevel the corners, the rear face of the slide stop, and VERY slightly sand the polymer face of the lower behind where the slide stop normally covers and sits. I do not suggest cutting any lower than I did as it may have a negative effect on reliable disengaging of the slide stop. Depending on how much of a problem you have with deactivating or activating the slide stop unintentionally you may choose to remove only 1/4 of the slide stop as oppose to 1/2 like I did.  

YMMV on this mod, however if done right and taking into account all areas that interact with the slide stop I have not had one problem with the mod as far as reliable release with the strong hand thumb, support hand thumb,or power stroking the slide. Functions just as it was unmodified.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top