Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2015 3:36:44 PM EDT
I like the gen 4, but I'm thinking I just prefer the gen 3 overall. The finish, the handles, etc.

I feel like I remember reading that gen 3s are still being made and sold, is that true?
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 3:37:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes. Glock would be stupid to stop making them. Many, many people prefer the Gen 3 over the 4's.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 3:44:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes. Glock would be stupid to stop making them. Many, many people prefer the Gen 3 over the 4's.
View Quote

Good to hear.

I wonder if the standard "teflon" gen 3 finish is going to remain?
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 3:53:58 PM EDT
[#3]
gen 3 has been a money maker for them.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 3:54:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Good to hear.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to hear.

I would not hold you breath as everything I have seen lately has been the new park like finish.  The days of the frying pan finish Glock are over.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 4:05:24 PM EDT
[#5]
hopefully I'm picking up my gen 3 19 threaded barrel version tomorrow...I think these were recent manufacture runs, too. I'm not sure of the finish on them though, I guess I'll be surprised.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 4:07:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I would not hold you breath as everything I have seen lately has been the new park like finish.  The days of the frying pan finish Glock are over.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to hear.

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 4:19:45 PM EDT
[#7]
For the time being, they are, but it's just a matter of time.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 4:25:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to hear.

I know I liked the egg shell, teflon look, frying pan finish myself.  Both my Gen4's and my Gen2 have the park look the rest of my Gen3s have the frying pan finish.  My G19.4 is already showing wear only a few months into it being carried vs my G32.3 that only greyed out over the years but the finish is pretty good looking other than looking a little grey instead of black.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 4:26:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sure they are not just leftovers from distributors?
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 4:32:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I agree, might even be selling more Gen3.
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 4:33:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I doubt it. If they're making money with them and customers still demand them they aren't going to quit making them any time soon.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 4:48:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I doubt it. If they're making money with them and customers still demand them they aren't going to quit making them any time soon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The popularity of the Gen 4 grows every year. You can see it on this very forum. These threads used to go heavily in favor of the Gen 3 and now it's the other way around. The Gen 3 will go away.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 4:48:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes they still make them. Yes they still sell them. There is a demand for them so they will likely continue to do so for the near future.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 5:00:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The popularity of the Gen 4 grows every year. You can see it on this very forum. These threads used to go heavily in favor of the Gen 3 and now it's the other way around. The Gen 3 will go away.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would agree about the growth in popularity on the Gen4. Most of us can remember when the Gen4 first came out, no one wanted it. It was plagued with problems from go, etc. They have gone a long way in fixing issues that came up and have pretty much turned that reputation around. Pretty much everyone would agree that at this point the Gen 4s are solid guns.

While it may be true that the Gen 3 will "go away." I don't know that it is quite that inevitable or quite that soon. They still sell a lot of Gen3s. Last I checked there were still states that allowed the Gen3s but the Gen4s aren't on the list of approved guns. Subject to change to be sure. Options are a good thing, I hope Glock continues to give customers options by offering both Gen 3 and Gen 4 guns.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 5:09:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good to hear.

That's correct. I have bought 2 new recent production Gen3's lately and they have the same slide finish as the Gen 4's.

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 5:19:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which could be mainly due to new customers. Old customers are still buying Gen 3's. That isn't going to stop. Not to mention there's many new customers who still choose Gen 3's over 4. Also, this forum is a tiny fraction of the overall buyers.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 5:21:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That's correct. I have bought 2 new recent production Gen3's lately and they have the same slide finish as the Gen 4's.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to hear.

I own Gen 4's and Gen 3's. The last two Glocks I bought are Gen 3's. I like them both, but depending on what the gun will be used for (competition, carry, etc) I prefer Gen 3's. Not to mention there's significantly more aftermarket for Gen 3's. Yes, Gen 4 is catching up, but it's not there.

Bottom line is Gen 3's ain't going anywhere for a long time.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 5:30:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Old customers are still buying Gen 3's.
View Quote

I bought my first Glock in 1989 and shot Gen 3s for many years. My biggest gripe was always the fact that the Gen 3 grip didn't offer any traction when wet. I also never realized how inferior the mag release was until I bought a Gen 4. People buy Gen 3s because that's what they're used to or because some guy on the internet told them to. People buy Gen 4s because they like the features.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 5:35:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I bought my first Glock in 1989 and shot Gen 3s for many years. My biggest gripe was always the fact that the Gen 3 grip didn't offer any traction when wet. I also never realized how inferior the mag release was until I bought a Gen 4. People buy Gen 3s because that's what they're used to or because some guy on the internet told them to. People buy Gen 4s because they like the features.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry buddy, but your opinion that Gen 4's are better are not fact.

The Gen 3 mag release is considerably better than the Gen 4. Yes, Gen 4 is bigger, but unless you use the front of it, you cannot get enough engagement to drop a mag because the last ~30% of the damn release is almost flush with the frame of the gun - so there's that. The Gen 3 works fine for many people. Guys shoot Gen 3's 100% stock in GSSF and win 1st place all the time. Doesn't seem like it's hindering them.

It's opinion man. There's no clear cut "better." Once you get over your obsession with Gen 4's and realize not everyone shares that obsession, you'll understand why Gen 3's aren't going away anytime soon.

All this is coming from someone who ones both generations.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 5:51:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awful broad brush you are painting with there, Picasso.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 6:06:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to hear.

Well that's very disappointing.

You guys may think I'm ridiculous for saying this, but no longer having that nice and *durable* finish really makes the glock less appealing to me. I absolutely love the finish on my 5 year old 23. It has ZERO wear marks.

The 3 week old 43 I have on the other hand......
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 6:24:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Gen3 is not going away anytime soon or possibly ever.  I think Glock will keep it as just another model pistol like the XD line ups.  They sell to many of both line ups to dissolve a good source of income.  Yeah maybe someday they will release a Gen5 and demand for 3s dwindle but I think that is a long time from now before we see Gen5.  Not like pistols are making leaps and bounds improvements over any other pistol.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 6:29:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You guys may think I'm ridiculous for saying this, but no longer having that nice and *durable* finish really makes the glock less appealing to me. I absolutely love the finish on my 5 year old 23. It has ZERO wear marks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to hear.

You must not carry the pistol that much they will wear.  The finishes are both durable and the black is just coloring the surface metal is all nitrided that is what matters.  If you are worried about wear marks on your pistol I do not know what to tell you other than carry in a purse because leather or kydex carry is going to rub color off any brand pistol..... I wear mine as a badge of honor and give my pistol more character and over all looks better because I use it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 6:51:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Heh.  One forum isn't exactly a good sample size.  What people seem to forget is the huge Military/LEO market for which change does not come quickly.  Gen3 17s and 19s will always be in demand because they maintain part compatibility not only across the first couple generations of the same model (for many parts, not all obviously) but also across calibers.  Frankly, Glock should've kept the single recoil spring and tiny mag release (albeit with a mag release cutout) while enhancing the texture and adding backstraps.  Then you could swap parts between Gen3 and  Gen4, which is ideal.  

At the end of the day, a lot of people including myself buy Glocks for their ridiculous track record, and.........

Gen3: 19 years of service
Gen4: 5 years of service

19 > 5
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:02:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Because of the Huge market from California shooters, you'll not see the Gen3 Glocks disappear.

As the general public can only buy the Gen 3 models in California as they are the only Glock models (most of them) on the approved CA handgun roster.

The Gen 4 Glocks came too late to be grandfathered in.

Only LEO in California can buy the Gen4 NEW from an FFL. People moving into the state can bring any handgun into the state with them, just no standard capacity mags.

The CA general public can buy Used Gen4 Glocks, from face to face transaction in an FFL.

Then there was the Single Shot Exemption (SSE) loophole that many civilians got the Gen 4 Glocks. But that loophole was closed Jan 1, 2015. That's how I got the G42 via SSE. The G43 came too late for SSE.

So the only way to get a Gen 4 Glock is via the used market in CA, which are demanding $$ for the Gen 4 models now that SSE is gone.

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 9:48:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Heh.  One forum isn't exactly a good sample size.  What people seem to forget is the huge Military/LEO market for which change does not come quickly.  Gen3 17s and 19s will always be in demand because they maintain part compatibility not only across the first couple generations of the same model (for many parts, not all obviously) but also across calibers.  Frankly, Glock should've kept the single recoil spring and tiny mag release (albeit with a mag release cutout) while enhancing the texture and adding backstraps.  Then you could swap parts between Gen3 and  Gen4, which is ideal.  

At the end of the day, a lot of people including myself buy Glocks for their ridiculous track record, and.........

19 > 5
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

19 > 5

I think the change in magazine release is fine. However, I don't think they should have changed the guide rod assembly, as it's a critical component of the system, and has been proven over the years. I also don't like the changes they had to make to the frame and slide to accommodate the larger guide rod assembly.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:09:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You must not carry the pistol that much they will wear.  The finishes are both durable and the black is just coloring the surface metal is all nitrided that is what matters.  If you are worried about wear marks on your pistol I do not know what to tell you other than carry in a purse because leather or kydex carry is going to rub color off any brand pistol..... I wear mine as a badge of honor and give my pistol more character and over all looks better because I use it.
View Quote

I have a pistol on me all day, every day. The teflon type finish on the gen 3's just didn't wear, period. I can see some areas with *slight* fading but that's it. No scratches, no shiny spots, nothing.

Not so with the 43 that I've carried for a couple weeks. It looks like shit pretty much and I dislike it.

If I'm not "an operator" because I like my pistols to stay shooting nice, then so be it. I like the old finish, period.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:13:38 AM EDT
[#28]
I like the new finish better than the old frying pan finish.

The old finish was goddamn slippery when wet and sucked for that reason.

I don't care if it shows wear, it's easier to grip.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:14:10 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I would agree about the growth in popularity on the Gen4. Most of us can remember when the Gen4 first came out, no one wanted it. It was plagued with problems from go, etc. They have gone a long way in fixing issues that came up and have pretty much turned that reputation around. Pretty much everyone would agree that at this point the Gen 4s are solid guns.

While it may be true that the Gen 3 will "go away." I don't know that it is quite that inevitable or quite that soon. They still sell a lot of Gen3s. Last I checked there were still states that allowed the Gen3s but the Gen4s aren't on the list of approved guns. Subject to change to be sure. Options are a good thing, I hope Glock continues to give customers options by offering both Gen 3 and Gen 4 guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's coming to an end. Massachusetts doesn't approve Glocks after 1998 and California is dropping Glock.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:22:35 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

19 > 5
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

19 > 5
Glock will swap out Gen 3 for Gen 4. They are big on thag. Right now my agency is swapping from Gen 3 G17 and G22 to Gen 4 17. Glock made a great deal.

LE agencies are easy to swap. Especially when Glock comes in and says "So you have 20 year old Gen 3s? Will give you Gen 4s and take you Gen 3s plus a $100 a gun."
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:47:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I have a pistol on me all day, every day. The teflon type finish on the gen 3's just didn't wear, period. I can see some areas with *slight* fading but that's it. No scratches, no shiny spots, nothing.

Not so with the 43 that I've carried for a couple weeks. It looks like shit pretty much and I dislike it.

If I'm not "an operator" because I like my pistols to stay shooting nice, then so be it. I like the old finish, period.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The old style finish was the shit, but it has been gone for years, I think it was phased out around 2010.  

The gen 3 and 4 both come with the same finish now, and I agree it's pretty crappy in comparison.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top