Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2015 11:35:19 PM EDT
I will be picking up one of the Enhanced Duty Slides from PWS, for those who are interested in this slide I will do my best to give as much info and my take on the slide. Will post pictures ASAP.

Information so far is that it is scheduled for market in mid May 2015, for those that do not know it is made from billet 1704 Stainless Steel with a diamond like coating, front and rear serrations and is supposed to improve trigger pull to a consistant 4lbs.

Until more information comes out I will post it in here.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:41:44 PM EDT
[#1]
How is it better than the factory slide?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:52:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

for those that do not know it is made from billet 1704 Stainless Steel with a diamond like coating, front and rear serrations and is supposed to improve trigger pull to a consistant 4lbs

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:01:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

for those that do not know it is made from billet 1704 Stainless Steel with a diamond like coating, front and rear serrations and is supposed to improve trigger pull to a consistent 4lbs

How so... any specs to explain?
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:14:40 AM EDT
[#4]
The EXACT specs are not released but from I see is that the slide has a tighter fit to the frame to remove the "slop" and is why you would gain a more consistant trigger pull.

The other plus is that the slide is made from a high grade stainless steel (1704) and the coating has high strength to if to be better against wear.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:26:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

for those that do not know it is made from billet 1704 Stainless Steel with a diamond like coating, front and rear serrations and is supposed to improve trigger pull to a consistent 4lbs

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/01/jeremy-s/pws-enhanced-duty-slide-for-glock/

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:38:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's made by Zev.  That should tell you why it's better.

I'm in for two Gen4 19 slides when they start making 'em.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 2:15:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 2:27:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 2:52:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Holy crap, $450 retail is too damn steep for this guy. I'll keep my "inconsistent" triggers and $450 in my pocket.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 3:14:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Holy crap, $450 retail is too damn steep for this guy. I'll keep my "inconsistent" triggers and $450 in my pocket.
View Quote

It is not the sole purpose of the slide.

Take away just the consistant trigger and focus on the slide itself.

People out there send out their factory slide to get machined for the front serrations and then have to pay for a coating be it cerakote, NP3, or nitride after the machine work. So that alone on a factory slide is at least $200 (low end cost), now factor in if you do not have a slide for your Glock frame as I purchased a frame with out the slide so my build will need a slide regardless. Do I pay $300 for a factory slide that the serial number does not match the barrel and frame I have? Or for $150 more have a slide that is heavy duty stainless steel with a very durable coating (which is my main reason for going with the slide) with the added bonus of the forward serrations and then a tighter tonlerance that improves trigger pull.

Yes there are other slides out there, Lone Wolf has a stainless steel slide but the serrations are not a Glock style cut and it is bare, ao you have to buy all the internal parts for it and I would want it to be black in color, more cost. Plus I HATE the bull nose on those slides.

Zev makes a slide but I do not care for the crazy machine cuts in the slide.

The EDS from PWS has a unique look but still keeps the overall Glock look.

When you factor in the amount of money for the slide vs what you would do elsewhere it actually ends up being a good price when you factor ALL the benifits of the slide.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:50:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I have to say, this is the only non-OEM slide that I would ever consider.  But then again, I buy my Glocks and don't see myself ever building one from scratch.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:38:00 PM EDT
[#12]
This slide has the potential to cure Glock's inconsistent ejection and it has to be tougher.  Glock's resulferized steel slides ain't all that great.  

I'm very happy to see someone stepping up and building a (hopefully) duty-worthy aftermarket slide.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:16:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Cost as much as a complete Blue Lable gun?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:10:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

A factory Glock slide is currectly going for a starting price of at least $300 vs this upgraded slide of $450. That a price difference of $150
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:27:13 AM EDT
[#15]
To each their own but for a basic duty/carry/self defense Glock, I see no reason for this (especially for the price). The only way I would potentially be interested in this was if I wanted to build a competition specific Glock. In that case I would want a long slide version (G34 length) and for the money, I'd expect it to have an MOS cut.

Like I said, to each their own but that's my $.02 on it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:12:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

A factory Glock slide is currectly going for a starting price of at least $300 vs this upgraded slide of $450. That a price difference of $150
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only a fool would pay $300 for a factory slide when a complete gun is only $98 more.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:21:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Only a fool would pay $300 for a factory slide when a complete gun is only $98 more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Explain how a NEW Glock costs $398?? And blue label does not count as one of the ways seeing as not everyone can get a blue label Glock....

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:16:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Explain how a NEW Glock costs $398?? And blue label does not count as one of the ways seeing as not everyone can get a blue label Glock....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I joined GSSF for one year and shot one match. I've already got two GSSF coupons and had my membership extended to three years for free. Its not hard to get blue lable pricing.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 3:18:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I joined GSSF for one year and shot one match. I've already got two GSSF coupons and had my membership extended to three years for free. Its not hard to get blue lable pricing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well that is fine if you want a stock black Glock... But that is not what I am building, I have a new G17DE RTF2 that I bought without the slide. Blue label does not apply to all Glocks. So there are people who like to build up their Glocks and it does not make them a "fool" to buy a slide that is made the way they wanted or those who send their slides out to get machined or coated to the way they want.

I have a collection of Glocks, two of which are as they came in the box, a black Gen3 G32 and a LAV G19DE RTF2. Others I have modified, one a G19C which was machined for an RMR, and so forth. The point of the PWS Enhanced Duty Slide is for those who dont have a slide for the build they are working on, those who dont want to modify a factory slide, etc. No one is forcing you to buy one, this thread is made for the purpose of those who would be interested in getting one either because they want a stainless steel slide with Glock like front and rear serrations, or they want it because the slide will give a consistant 4 lb trigger pull with a completely stock frame and internals. It does not make a person a fool for buying something they want.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 3:25:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Here is the frame for the build:
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:34:20 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm in the don't see value but I'll be curious to hear what you think when you get it. I understand that it's not exactly a ton of money to be worried about either way so buy what you want/like.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:38:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep. You can get the slide work done on your OEM slide in that picture for $200
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:00:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do NOT have a slide for my G17 as I bought it new with out one... Read previous posts as to why one would buy this slide...
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:42:34 PM EDT
[#24]
People are missing the point.  Glock slides are pretty trashy, Zev's slides are not.  

These slides are not for the 'parts are parts' type of people and trying to explain it futile, since they think metal is metal and the cheapest piece is the same because it's metal.  

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:12:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
People are missing the point.  Glock slides are pretty trashy, Zev's slides are not.  

These slides are not for the 'parts are parts' type of people and trying to explain it futile, since they think metal is metal and the cheapest piece is the same because it's metal.  

View Quote

Well thats certainly debatable. I think Zev slides look like gawdy shit. the OP's PWS slide looks good.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:26:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Since when are Glocks slides "pretty trashy?"
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:01:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Question:  
OP--your frame for the build appears to be a gen4, but I thought the PWS slides were only for gen3 guns.  
Is there a gen4 slide from PWS?

ETA:  just noticed the mag-release.  It is a gen3.  Texture looked like a gen 4 or something.  Must be that rtf style.
I'm sure the PWS slide will be great.  Good steel, good coating, etc...for a tiny bit more than an OEM.  

I wonder how many parts are proprietary?  Any idea?  That's my main worry.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:28:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have yet seen one shatter falling on the ground. You're trying to defend the price of this zev slide too much. Now, you just look like a fool
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:29:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Question:  
OP--your frame for the build appears to be a gen4, but I thought the PWS slides were only for gen3 guns.  

ETA:  just noticed the mag-release.  It is a gen3.  Texture looked like a gen 4 or something.  Must be that rtf style.
I'm sure the PWS slide will be great.  Good steel, good coating, etc...for a tiny bit more than an OEM.  

View Quote

It's the Vickers edition.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:36:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Question:  

View Quote

Yeah its the Vickers edition of the RTF2 in Dark Earth, Gen 3.5

From what I have read the slide is made by Zev for PWS, all the internal parts are factory Glock. The main reason for going with the slide is it being a heavy duty stainless steel with its coating will be pretty darn corrosion resistant. The front serrations and the 4lb trigger is an added benefit.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:27:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
People are missing the point.  Glock slides are pretty trashy,
View Quote

Really? Who sold you that BS? If you want one of these PWS slides then go for it but don't try to justify it with ignorant falsehoods.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:59:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

From what I have read the slide is made by Zev for PWS, all the internal parts are factory Glock. The main reason for going with the slide is it being a heavy duty stainless steel with its coating will be pretty darn corrosion resistant. The front serrations and the 4lb trigger is an added benefit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Question:  

sounds like you are set on it.  buy it and report back experiences.....but you don't need everyone to like what you like.  $450 for me is too steep for the perceived benefits.  may not be for you.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:04:02 AM EDT
[#33]
I have pretty good understanding of how Glocks function and I am skeptical about their claim of the slide giving the pistol 4 lb trigger pull.

The only parts in the slide, that I know of, that can affect trigger pull weight are the striker spring and firing pin safety spring.  Exactly how is PWS claiming that this slide will give a 4lb trigger pull?

The only thing I can think of is that slide comes complete with a lighter striker and firing pin safety springs.  However, I don't like changing the striker spring because I want maximum primer ignition reliability.

Eitherway it's a real stretch to convince me this slide is worth almost the price of a complete pistol.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:38:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Screw it. I will get one. Looks pretty cool. Price is a little steep though.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:02:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Really? Who sold you that BS? If you want one of these PWS slides then go for it but don't try to justify it with ignorant falsehoods.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ever heard of 'brass to the face'??  That's a product of out of spec slides.  Randy Lee of Apex will tell you all about it.
Ever seen a breech face cracked out?  That's a product of the reduced impact strength of resulfurized steel.
Ever seen a slide crack through the ejection port?  Same as above.  

I love Glocks, but I've seen all of those problems first hand, some a few times.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:28:56 AM EDT
[#36]
So you are confident that if this slide were out in the numbers a Glock slide is, you wouldn't see the same issues?
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:24:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Ever heard of 'brass to the face'??  That's a product of out of spec slides.  Randy Lee of Apex will tell you all about it.
Ever seen a breech face cracked out?  That's a product of the reduced impact strength of resulfurized steel.

I love Glocks, but I've seen all of those problems first hand, some a few times.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's going to take some time to even get conclusive proof that this slide will fix any of those issues.  That's a not claim anyone can make at this time...
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:11:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It's going to take some time to even get conclusive proof that this slide will fix any of those issues.  That's a not claim anyone can make at this time...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, they're not using resulfurized steel in these slides, as well as putting more time into QC for the slides. The slide crack and breech face crack could be fixed through the steel quality, and the out of spec slide issues would be solved with QC.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:13:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
So you are confident that if this slide were out in the numbers a Glock slide is, you wouldn't see the same issues?
View Quote

Where did he state that? The lower production size would allow greater QC. If they increased production size to that of Glock's, then there would inherently be a greater chance of QC issues.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:31:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Where did he state that? The lower production size would allow greater QC. If they increased production size to that of Glock's, then there would inherently be a greater chance of QC issues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is the material the issue or is the QC? Or is it just shit is bound to happen?

What's the material in a Glock slide anyways?

I ask the questions because I work in a tool shop, we deal with this stuff every day. I won't even come close to calling myself a tool maker so I like the discussion and learning that comes with it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:39:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I ask the questions because I work in a tool shop, we deal with this stuff every day. I won't even come close to calling myself a tool maker so I like the discussion and learning that comes with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Ordnance Grade Steel"
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:43:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whatever helps you justify your purchase dude
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:30:13 PM EDT
[#43]
I would not go as far to say the Glock factory slide is junk, I myself never had a problem with them.

This build came down to:

Complete Glock 17 slide $300
Complete Glock 17 NiB slide $380
PWS Glock 17 slide $450
Zev slide $500

I already have Glocks with stock slides and modified slides. I was contemplating the NiB slide but would rather have a factory slide NP3+ coated if I went down that route. Plus that color does not strike me all that well on an Dark Earth frame. I by no means am buying the slide for the "consistant 4lb trigger pull," I am buying it because its made from 1704 stainless steel and the coating it has on it. Secondary is the machining of the top edge of the slide with added front serrations which give it purpose but will look good too.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:34:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Adding front serrations would add $200 or so to an OEM slide.  This one probably has deeper rear serrations as well.
For your purpose and what you're looking for, I think it sounds like a great option.
I look forward to the report when you get it.  
--
So what parts ARE proprietary, and NOT replaceable with OEMS?
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 5:34:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Adding front serrations would add $200 or so to an OEM slide.  This one probably has deeper rear serrations as well.
For your purpose and what you're looking for, I think it sounds like a great option.
I look forward to the report when you get it.  
--
So what parts ARE proprietary, and NOT replaceable with OEMS?
View Quote

All the internal parts are said to be factory Glock parts.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 5:46:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

This...most popular selling pistol in America and the dude thinks 100% of them will be flawless...

Guy needs to stay in his own dream world.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 5:25:03 PM EDT
[#47]
So how do you like it?
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 7:00:58 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I would not go as far to say the Glock factory slide is junk, I myself never had a problem with them.

This build came down to:

Complete Glock 17 slide $300

Complete Glock 17 NiB slide $380

PWS Glock 17 slide $450

Zev slide $500

I already have Glocks with stock slides and modified slides. I was contemplating the NiB slide but would rather have a factory slide NP3+ coated if I went down that route. Plus that color does not strike me all that well on an Dark Earth frame. I by no means am buying the slide for the "consistant 4lb trigger pull," I am buying it because its made from 1704 stainless steel and the coating it has on it. Secondary is the machining of the top edge of the slide with added front serrations which give it purpose but will look good too.
View Quote

There is much price difference between a $300 "complete" factory slide and the $450 PWS slide. Add your barrel, RSA and all the other internal parts to the PWS slide and then let us know what the real price difference is. I'm not knocking your choice, I've spent way more than $450 on neat looking, cool gun stuff, it's just intellectually dishonest to say that it's only $150 more than a factory slide.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go order another $250 trigger kit for my new G19.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 7:23:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've only ever seen cracked slides at the ejector port on Glock 22's with 30k+ rounds down the pipe with the original recoil spring. These particular Glocks had the evil MIM parts that were supposed to fail(and didn't). No other excessive wear observed, which is surprising considering the level of care(or lack there of) these weapons received.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 12:16:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I've only ever seen cracked slides at the ejector port on Glock 22's with 30k+ rounds down the pipe with the original recoil spring. These particular Glocks had the evil MIM parts that were supposed to fail(and didn't). No other excessive wear observed, which is surprising considering the level of care(or lack there of) these weapons received.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've seen a 17, two 34s, and a 23 with slides cracked through the ejection port.  Granted the 9mms were high mileage competition guns, the 23 (Gen 2) was one a cop bought back when the PD he worked for went to M 'n Ps in 2008.  Saw only one with the breech face cracked out, it was in for repair at a local shop.  I've seen a rear frame rail cracked off of two 35s (two consecutive seasons, same shooter), a couple of trigger springs, and a locking block pin (another 23).  

I've seen literally countless Glocks in the past few years with brass to face and otherwise shitty ejection and prone to stovepipes.  Glocks have always has somewhat erratic ejection, but they have had some serious issues sine 2009.  Hang around USPSA, IDPA, and range quals for a few years and you start to notice things.

If ZEV can build a bad-ass slide that makes 'em run like a top, I'm in for two (I actually am on a list for 2 Gen4 19 slides when they make 'em.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top