Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2015 10:16:32 AM EDT
I'm looking to have Cerakote applied to the slide of my FDE G34 and maybe my FDE 19 as well.  I want the color to match as closely as possible.

I've seen the "Full FDE" Glocks from Lipseys and like that look. I read somewhere that Austrian FDE might have been the color they used but haven't been able to find out for sure.  Can anyone verify that?

Does anyone have pics of Glocks they've had done with Austrian FDE Cerakote?  How's it match the factory Glock FDE frames?

Thanks.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:13:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm interested in the same thing (sort of). I'm looking to have my Glock 23 frame Cerakoted to match the factory frame color, and it's really hard to compare colors/photos online when everything has different lighting and white balance.

That being said, I can't verify that Lipseys uses Austrian FDE, but I did read that that color was Cerakote's attempt at matching Glock's frame color, so it would make sense.

As far as photos/matching,

Copper Brown looks fairly close:

Austrian FDE looks slightly less green:

Depends a lot on the light, though; also Austrian FDE:

Austrian FDE

Flashlight is Austrian FDE

Patriot Brown looks good IMO (though I don't think this is a factory FDE frame)

Patriot Brown:
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:01:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for linking those pictures.  I see you've exhausted Google as well lol.  Those are the same few pictures I've been able to find.

I agree that it's hard to tell online.  That's why I was hoping to find someone on here that has one with a factory FDE frame and aftermarket coated Austrian FDE slide that could take a few pics in different lighting.

Lipseys has even said theirs is very lighting dependant.  They stated that their color was formulated by Cerakote to be the best match in natural or incandescent lighting.  I've read first hand accounts that verify that along with florescent causing a greenish tint on the Lipsey's "Full FDE" models.  

If I could verify that Lipsey's used Austrian FDE that would be good enough for me.  That copper brown looks pretty good in that specific picture though.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:33:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Eh, well, I tried. Haha

I found all of those on Cerakote's website. There might be more, I just got sick of flipping through the galleries. http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/finishes/H-261Q/austrian-flat-dark-earth/
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:29:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks for linking those pictures.  I see you've exhausted Google as well lol.  Those are the same few pictures I've been able to find.

I agree that it's hard to tell online.  That's why I was hoping to find someone on here that has one with a factory FDE frame and aftermarket coated Austrian FDE slide that could take a few pics in different lighting.

Lipseys has even said theirs is very lighting dependant.  They stated that their color was formulated by Cerakote to be the best match in natural or incandescent lighting.  I've read first hand accounts that verify that along with florescent causing a greenish tint on the Lipsey's "Full FDE" models.  

If I could verify that Lipsey's used Austrian FDE that would be good enough for me.  That copper brown looks pretty good in that specific picture though.

View Quote
The factory-ish FDE cerakoted slides don't always even match each other.  At the shop, we have two 17s that have noticeably different slide colors--and neither match the frame exactly.  They're about the same amount off, though one is lighter and one is darker.  I'll see if they're still there tomorrow, and try to get an iPotato picture up here.

ETA:  no idea about what colors the slides are, vis a vis catalog offerings.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:34:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The factory-ish FDE cerakoted slides don't always even match each other.  At the shop, we have two 17s that have noticeably different slide colors--and neither match the frame exactly.  They're about the same amount off, though one is lighter and one is darker.  I'll see if they're still there tomorrow, and try to get an iPotato picture up here.  

ETA:  no idea about what colors the slides are, vis a vis catalog offerings.
View Quote

If you could snap some pics that would be great.  A picture of them both side by side inside and another shot of the two next to each other outside in the sun would be awesome if you can swing it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:12:14 AM EDT
[#6]
kodiak koatings in shelbyville ky is who does the cerakote for factory glocks....

call them and ask how different the factory fde is from austrian flat earth..

i dropped my NEW glock 22 2 weeks ago and scratched the slide and got in touch with lipseys and then kodiak for repair...

had my baseplates done while they repaired my slide..

good group of guys.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:17:17 AM EDT
[#7]
and yes, the slides look GREEN under fluorescent lights and match nearly perfectly outside... its crazy.

heres a pic of fde slide on my OD glock 17....

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:43:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
kodiak koatings in shelbyville ky is who does the cerakote for factory glocks....

View Quote

Thanks alot, that's the most solid lead I've gotten so far.  I'll look them up and give them a call!

ETA:  Got in touch with Kodiak and verified that they coat the Lipsey's slides in Austrian FDE.  Thanks for the info Edit!
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 2:00:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:Thanks alot, that's the most solid lead I've gotten so far.  I'll look them up and give them a call!

ETA:  Got in touch with Kodiak and verified that they coat the Lipsey's slides in Austrian FDE.  Thanks for the info Edit!
View Quote

Winner, winner!  Nice detective work, guys.

And sparky, thanks for following up and posting your findings here.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:57:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Thanks alot, that's the most solid lead I've gotten so far.  I'll look them up and give them a call!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then Austran FDE is extremely inconsistent.

Sorry I couldn't get any outdoor pictures. We were swamped.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:42:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the pictures!  Yeah that is a pretty big difference in color.  Crazy how green it looks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top