Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:41:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I am extremely happy with the TLR1-HL. Great for clearing inside a house or other building. And it lights up a backyard and seems pretty durable.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:36:11 PM EDT
[#2]
It would be interesting to know how many of the "you must have night sights" crowd have actually been in a self defense situation where you've had to deploy and fire your weapon or been through force-on-force training.

I've never ONCE seen my sights. NEVER. Stress point, Body point index that's it.

I'll go as far as saying that if you're able to obtain Sightpoint index than you're not in a situation where you should be pulling the trigger.

You could remove the sights from your defense pistol and be just as effective as one outfitted with the most uber cool, expensive, fiberoptic, tridium powered night sights.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:29:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It would be interesting to know how many of the "you must have night sights" crowd have actually been in a self defense situation where you've had to deploy and fire your weapon or been through force-on-force training.

I've never ONCE seen my sights. NEVER. Stress point, Body point index that's it.

I'll go as far as saying that if you're able to obtain Sightpoint index than you're not in a situation where you should be pulling the trigger.

You could remove the sights from your defense pistol and be just as effective as one outfitted with the most uber cool, expensive, fiberoptic, tridium powered night sights.
View Quote

I've never been in an actual shooting.  I have had force on force training, low light/no light training, shoot houses, etc.  I always saw my sights when I wasn't shooting from retention.  It's a pretty widely accepted notion that you should be able to see your sights before you shoot something.  With a white light turned on your sights will become a black silhouette regardless of tritium inserts, gold beads, fiber optics, pink nail polish or whatever.  I personally like a contrasting front sight for when the white light is *not* turned on, and I like a tritium vial in there too for those times when it's not completely dark.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:57:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:I've never been in an actual shooting.  I have had force on force training, low light/no light training, shoot houses, etc.  I always saw my sights when I wasn't shooting from retention.  It's a pretty widely accepted notion that you should be able to see your sights before you shoot something.  With a white light turned on your sights will become a black silhouette regardless of tritium inserts, gold beads, fiber optics, pink nail polish or whatever.  I personally like a contrasting front sight for when the white light is *not* turned on, and I like a tritium vial in there too for those times when it's not completely dark.  YMMV.
View Quote

Excellent. I was hoping someone would reply with actual experience. I've had my fair share of Force on Force training as well in shoot houses and have only once encountered a situation where I've had the luxury of taking the time to see my sights (and it was a no shoot situation). Even within a 15 foot range, the majority of the "justified discharge" situations went from assessing the situation to "Oh shit they're producing a weapon and charging...MOVE, DRAW, SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT!" Situations like that happen way to fast (in my opinion) to support your notion that you should be able to see your sights before firing. That's where your muscle memory should kick in, you point with your thumbs or cover the target with your gun and fire.

During a low/no light house clear I spotted an intruder before they spotted me, which bought me the time to move to cover and order them out which was the only time I've put my sights on someone. I was not within my right to shoot however.

Granted the more situations you train in the less tunnel vision you will have over time and you'll be able to see more, be more relaxed if you will.

They are a tool, much like a weapon light. If you'd like to have more tools at your disposal that's you're right.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:00:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good for you, you can save a ton on sights then.  Other experts who have been in the most dire situations advise otherwise though.  As for most cool and expensive, eh I don't think anything said that was a must.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:35:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Just a point on claiming force-on-force training doesn't support the use of night sights...

How many are doing FOF in low light, and how many have night sights on their airsoft or SIMs gun? I do but I'm guessing most don't.

In my FOF low-light training I did find the night sights to be very valuable in getting hits without turning on a light. (The exercise was such that shooting your opponent in the dark was appropriate.)

I think night sights are not the end-all solution to all things home defense, but they rarely hurt and can definitely help.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 8:00:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I started a thread in GD so we can stop derailing this one.

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:25:22 AM EDT
[#8]
what ammo do you plan to use? recommend either 147 grain HP or 124-127 +P HP ammo. My personal favorite is Winchester RA9TA

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:20:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
what ammo do you plan to use? recommend either 147 grain HP or 124-127 +P HP ammo. My personal favorite is Winchester RA9TA

View Quote

Shooting on a college budget limits me to Tulammo and my friend's reloads, so this was something I hoped to test once I bought my gun.  I appreciate the recommendation though, this is what you use with a G19 I assume?
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:50:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Shooting on a college budget limits me to Tulammo and my friend's reloads, so this was something I hoped to test once I bought my gun.  I appreciate the recommendation though, this is what you use with a G19 I assume?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go to sgammo.com and buy some standard pressure 124 HST or Gold Dot.

It's in stock, it's >$25 per box of 50 and it works.

I prefer +p, but it's damn near impossible to find these days and when you do, it's high.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:55:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Like this. Not shown is the factory +2 extensions I have on the mags; plain and simple... Oh, and the ZEV Tech trigger job inside.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 2:05:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I prefer +p, but it's damn near impossible to find these days and when you do, it's high.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

With 9mm shot placement is very important, don't skimp on range time. Try IDPA, USPSA, and steel plate competitions. All three can be eye opening experiences, they're good trigger time, and should not be confused with or considered training. Training is the next thing you should get after the gun.  Take some classes or make friends with guys who teach classes and pick their brains.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:45:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

With 9mm any handgun cartridge shot placement is very important, don't skimp on range time. Try IDPA, USPSA, and steel plate competitions. All three can be eye opening experiences, they're good trigger time, and should not be confused with or considered training. Training is the next thing you should get after the gun.  Take some classes or make friends with guys who teach classes and pick their brains.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

With 9mm any handgun cartridge shot placement is very important, don't skimp on range time. Try IDPA, USPSA, and steel plate competitions. All three can be eye opening experiences, they're good trigger time, and should not be confused with or considered training. Training is the next thing you should get after the gun.  Take some classes or make friends with guys who teach classes and pick their brains.

FIFY
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:27:51 PM EDT
[#14]
My G19 that serves as my HD Pistol. I have a TLR 3 light attached to it with factory sights.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:02:19 PM EDT
[#15]
My favorite night sight is the Ameriglo I-Dot, good sight picture love the two dot setup.

I've got a TLR-1S and a TLR-3, both good but the TLR3 is a better size for the 19.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:52:34 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I shoot at night a lot.  I have put right at 1K downrange this month in low/no light conditions with a Glock 19/X300U.

Advice:

-Save your money on the night sights.  They're pointless.  I use the stock plastic sights with no perceived disadvantage.  The last low/no light training I did was with a Glock 19/X300 with Ameriglo Defoors (black on black sights).  No problems.

-Do buy an X300U.  Hands down best pistol light I've ever used.  Love it.  Worthwhile upgrade from the X300.

-Buy more ammo.  Shooting at night is fun.
View Quote
I disagree strongly.

Self Luminous Tritium night sights are unconditionally manadatory equipment on any defensive arm.

If you do nothing else to your bedside handgun, DO at the very least put night sights on it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top