Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2014 4:53:24 AM EDT
What were you hoping to achieve ideally?
Improved accuracy?
Chamber support?
Std rifling for lead ammo?
A different look?
Threads on the muzzle?

Im wondering what the average glock user who replaces a barrel is hoping to achieve.

I know I have replaced several for threads, one for accuracy, and have hoped for accuracy improvement with all.

And it was never because the glock didnt shoot great for $550 but more because it would be cool if I could get it to shoot even slightly better because if there was a special $1500 glock performance center model I might buy it if it was twice as accurate.  Obviously there is no such division.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:14:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:17:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Threads.

Would consider chamber support for older 10's, and standard rifling for lead, if I reloaded.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:08:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Chamber support?
Threads on the muzzle?

Im wondering what the average glock user who replaces a barrel is hoping to achieve.
Snipped.
View Quote

As above,  I have an Osprey in .45 and use it on my G19,20 and 21. With the better chamber support I don't have the Clock bulge when I reload.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:12:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Threaded
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:37:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought a Glock 22 LE trade in for cheap and wanted it specifically for .357Sig.  I bought a stainless KKM barrel (used) to make this happen.  

I use the .357Sig to make the indoor range "less busy".  If it is over crowded, I pop off a mag and usually about half the people leave.

I have two free boxes of .40, but I haven't fired any through this gun.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:43:11 AM EDT
[#6]
The only aftermarket barrel I have is a Storm Lake threaded barrel in my G17.  TiRant 9 currently in the ATF holding pattern. I'm considering a KKM for my G20 for the conventional rifling.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:48:13 AM EDT
[#7]
We have 'after market' barrels for our G20's, mainly because I reload a LOT of cast bullets.  The extra chamber support is nice also.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:27:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Threads for a can.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:50:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Threads

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:57:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I bought a Lone Wolf barrel to convert a  Gen4 G22 from .40 to 9MM and to be able to shoot lead if desired. It has been great. I have shot it a bunch and highley recommend Lone Wolf barrels....<><....:)
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:53:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Threaded
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:28:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I bought a Lone Wolf barrel to convert a  Gen4 G22 from .40 to 9MM and to be able to shoot lead if desired. It has been great. I have shot it a bunch and highley recommend Lone Wolf barrels....<><....:)
View Quote

I did likewise, as .40 always seems to be available but prefer the 9mm, and concur with MSPRet.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:31:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Threads!!!!

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:40:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Lead + Threads

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:40:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I have two Glock 23s (I bought one and the wife bought me one for Christmas a few years ago).  I decided I wanted a Glock 19 so I bought a Lone Wolf conversion barrel.  I also changed the extractor parts to 9mm and a 9mm ejector. I got a deal on 9mm magazines from a  guy who worked for a gun store that was closing.   The damn thing works perfectly and it would take about 5-6 min total to turn it back to a 40 S&W.  As a matter of fact I may buy another conversion barrel and ejector /extractor just so I could change the other one over to 9mm.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:22:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Building a 20L.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:25:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:21:16 PM EDT
[#18]
i needed a 6'' barrel for hunting, got the lonewolf ported 6.5''. love it, 10mm
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:46:42 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought a .357 Sig barrel for my G22 just to have another caliber to play with.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:24:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Would you guys prefer the barrels to be more or less accurate than stock glock?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:33:18 AM EDT
[#21]
My stock barrel shoots sub three inch groups at 25 yards so any accuracy gain with after market would be marginal. We can't have cans here so not an option for me. With proper care ( a few passes of a brass brush and one patch every 200 rounds is sufficient ) lead bullets out of the stock barrel do fine.
I see more functioning issues with after market barrels than stock even with lead bullets for what it's worth
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:37:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Who would prefer a less accurate barrel?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:38:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

The only suppressor I have is for .22 so I don't have a need for a Glock threaded barrel.

I did some research on aftermarket barrels and it seemed hit or miss if there was an actual accuracy gain. Guys that were getting 3 - 4" groups at 25 yards off hand with a factory Glock barrel weren't getting 2" less with KKM/Barsto/Wilson but were getting minimal 1/2" less groups. I get under 4" groups with my 10 year old Glock 19 gen3 from the 25 yard line off hand, if I could get under 2" from an aftermarket barrel as long as I do my part I would be interested in an aftermarket barrel. They just don't seem that consistent from the reviews I've read. One guy will get a noticeable difference in a Gen4 G22 but no gain in a Gen3 G19 using the same manufacturer.  

I would say the only real benefit to an aftermarket Glock barrel that isn't needed for a suppressor would be to shoot lead thru.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:27:28 AM EDT
[#24]
At one time or another, all of the above.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:57:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I said that because when I brought it up to a friend he said I was in the minority and most people dont care.

Ive purchased lone wolf, wilson, and storm lake glock barrels and have found lone wolf to be more loose than oem, storm lake was tighter but caused 6-8" elevation change at 25, and wilson was maybe 25% more accurate than stock.  The wilson dimensionally was identical to glock oem but the  chamber was tighter.

I was hoping for an improvement but found most barrels to be no tighter. I do think bar sto would be an exception, but I find it harder to want to wait 4 months for delivery.  I had a bar sto sig 220 once that took a 7" group (including first round wich was always a flier) and turned it into a 7/8" one hole 8 round group at 25 with 185 fed gmm wadcutters.  It seems that barstos philosophy is near zero tolerance from my relatively light experience with that single drop in barrel.

The 220 group was off bags and when I rolled back that target it seemed miraculous.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:28:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I said that because when I brought it up to a friend he said I was in the minority and most people dont care.

Ive purchased lone wolf, wilson, and storm lake glock barrels and have found lone wolf to be more loose than oem, storm lake was tighter but caused 6-8" elevation change at 25, and wilson was maybe 25% more accurate than stock.  The wilson dimensionally was identical to glock oem but the  chamber was tighter.

I was hoping for an improvement but found most barrels to be no tighter. I do think bar sto would be an exception, but I find it harder to want to wait 4 months for delivery.  I had a bar sto sig 220 once that took a 7" group (including first round wich was always a flier) and turned it into a 7/8" one hole 8 round group at 25 with 185 fed gmm wadcutters.  It seems that barstos philosophy is near zero tolerance from my relatively light experience with that single drop in barrel.

The 220 group was off bags and when I rolled back that target it seemed miraculous.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a Bar sto G19 barrel, and the chamber was so tight that it wouldn't always chamber my reloads.  I shoot metal plates, and notice no difference in accuracy when comparing an oem G19 vs one with a LW barrel.  I will never say I want less accuracy, however reliability is number 1, so I would not want more accuracy if it negatively affects reliability.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:32:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can understand being OK with a barrel that is just as accurate as the factory barrel, but there is no way I'd want to put in an aftermarket part that made my gun less accurate regardless of what other features it had.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:59:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Threads for cans
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:59:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Ok so dumb question - why cant you shoot lead reloads out of a standard glock barrell?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:20:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Ok so dumb question - why cant you shoot lead reloads out of a standard glock barrell?
View Quote

Leads builds up in the polygonal rifling and will cause an over-pressure situation.  You could shoot a little lead without any trouble as long as you keep it clean, but it 1) isn't a great idea to do it on a regular basis and 2) voids your warranty if you have a KB because of it.

*Legal disclaimer: I'm just a dude on the internet.  Don't take my advice as gospel.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:22:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I had a Bar sto G19 barrel, and the chamber was so tight that it wouldn't always chamber my reloads.  I shoot metal plates, and notice no difference in accuracy when comparing an oem G19 vs one with a LW barrel.  I will never say I want less accuracy, however reliability is number 1, so I would not want more accuracy if it negatively affects reliability.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did the barsto seem to shoot better than glock?

The only brands I havent owned for glock were barsto, kkm, & jarvis.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:35:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Many thousands of lead bullets out of my glocks regular commercial cast nothing special- scrub bore every 200 rounds and it is fine. Btw any reload voids the glock warranty. With reasonable cleaning and care a lead bullet reload will never hurt a glock. Any load that blows up a glock would have very likely blown up any other gun it was put in as well
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:29:13 AM EDT
[#33]
I have three after market barrels, in late 2004 I got both a blued steel 6" Jarvis G21, KKM's 1st ever custom SS 45-10MM 6" conversion barrel, and in 2010 I got a Lone Wolf SS 6" G24 barrel.  I got them simply because I was making custom pistols.  I've never had any issues with my stock Glock barrels.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:40:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:17:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Threaded
Caliber conversion
CDI factor
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:16:25 AM EDT
[#36]
I installed a KKM barrel on mu Glock 20SF.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p183/Randominator/G20-3_zps4c22a042.jpg

My reasons?

1. The ability to shoot lead bullets.  I cast 190 grain WFNGC's.  This is the main bullet I shoot in this gun.
2. Better chamber support.  I handload all my ammo and this increases the life of the cases.
3. Hunting.  I purchased this gun to hunt with and the 6" barrel gives better velocity.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:39:09 PM EDT
[#37]
I bought a Lone Wolf to shoot .357Sig in my G23. I have really become a big fan of that round. Reloading it is the only way to be able to afford it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:40:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Improved accuracy?
Chamber support?
A different look?
Threads on the muzzle?

I know I have replaced several for threads, one for accuracy, and have hoped for accuracy improvement with all.

And it was never because the glock didnt shoot great for $550 but more because it would be cool if I could get it to shoot even slightly better because if there was a special $1500 glock performance center model I might buy it if it was twice as accurate.  Obviously there is no such division.
View Quote

My reasons for the two KKM barrels bought this year was for 1) utmost reliability (as one of them is for concealed carry) and 2) threaded for suppressor use.

I wanted OEM barrels but they were scare and hard to find so for the next best thing I wanted something as high quality as possible.

KKM meets those requirements and is a very high quality product.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top