User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:08:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
LGS has them for $399

Is that about as good as it gets for regular retail pricing?
View Quote

Allow me to ask this another way. How much profit do you think it's reasonable for a gun dealer to make on a popular/hard-to-get gun? In the case of the Glock 42, the MSRP is $480 but your dealer has it priced for $400. What do you imagine his cost is? Is he making $200? Would $100 be reasonable? $50? $25? 10?

I'm just curious what people think the margins are or should be? How much money do you imagine the dealer is making selling a 42 for $400? Whatever you think he's making, do you begrudge him that or do you think he should cut it more?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:16:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Not all dealers get the same price from wholesalers.  There are 10 gun prices which is the price given if the dealer purchased 10 guns, my dealer gets the 10 gun price on most firearms he purchases because of his volume.  Some dealers and chain stores that have higher volumes get better prices than the low volume dealers.  Problem is the wholesalers  keep the price up on new releases to dealers which is passed on to the consumers.  My dealer normally marks guns up  15%  but if the item is under $200 he usually marks up 20%.  If the gun is very expensive he may sell at 10% Mark up especially if it is to a good customer.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 3:00:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Allow me to ask this another way. How much profit do you think it's reasonable for a gun dealer to make on a popular/hard-to-get gun? In the case of the Glock 42, the MSRP is $480 but your dealer has it priced for $400. What do you imagine his cost is? Is he making $200? Would $100 be reasonable? $50? $25? 10?

I'm just curious what people think the margins are or should be? How much money do you imagine the dealer is making selling a 42 for $400? Whatever you think he's making, do you begrudge him that or do you think he should cut it more?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LGS has them for $399

Is that about as good as it gets for regular retail pricing?

About 10% markup is acceptable to me. Of course your shmall mom and pop store probably wont be able to stay in business at those prices. Unless they figure out its better to make  $110.00 selling ten Glocks than to make $100.00 selling one Glock. If customers are not waiting in line to buy guns, you are charging too much.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:29:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

About 10% markup is acceptable to me. Of course your shmall mom and pop store probably wont be able to stay in business at those prices. Unless they figure out its better to make  $110.00 selling ten Glocks than to make $100.00 selling one Glock. If customers are not waiting in line to buy guns, you are charging too much.

View Quote

I guess I charge too much. A high percentage of the tire kickers that come through my place have to ask their wife or will be back on Friday.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:00:25 PM EDT
[#5]

This store you know what you want and what the price is before you go there. You take a number when you arrive. In about a half hour you get to the register to buy you gun(s). its like that 6 days a week for the entire day.

High volume makes up for low prices.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:52:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
http://www.proforceonline.com/FeaturedItems/Banner4.jpg

This store you know what you want and what the price is before you go there. You take a number when you arrive. In about a half hour you get to the register to buy you gun(s). its like that 6 days a week for the entire day.

View Quote

Q: But, Steven, how do you sell Glock 42's at $35 below dealer cost and still make money?
A: I make it up in volume

I don't know how this place can sell a Glock 42 for $320, but I do know that your local gun shop can't do that.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:32:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Q: But, Steven, how do you sell Glock 42's at $35 below dealer cost and still make money?

I don't know how this place can sell a Glock 42 for $320, but I do know that your local gun shop can't do that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not everyone's "dealer" price is the same. But you know that.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:02:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Bought a 42 on gunbroker last night. $399.00 plus $18.00 shipping. No upcharge for credit card.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 2:15:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I try not to be a beta tester/early adopter so Ive waited. But I think I waited long enough for the bugs to be worked out. Ordered a Blue Label today for $319.99. Can pick it up from the distributor in a couple weeks.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 4:52:16 PM EDT
[#10]
$399.00 +tax here around Birimingham, AL is the best I have found.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:12:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Dans Ammo has them for $379 I believe.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:14:05 AM EDT
[#12]
$368
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 5:30:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Saw a deal for $389 at a gun show today. Didn't fo as I'm not a huge fan of the .380 round.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:04:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Picked mine up today.

Test fire date 9-23-14.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:17:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

This is the store description on their retail store page:

Centrally located in Brea, California the ProForce store is not open to the general public and only open to Law Enforcement, Military (both active and retired), Security Personnel, Medical First Responders and Fire Professionals. ID is needed to gain entry into the store which is open Monday - Saturday 9am-6pm Pacific for your convenience.
(emphasis added)

The store only allows in, and only sells to.......  Blue Label qualified customers.  And that is the G42 Blue Label price.  

Also, its ILLEGAL for a FFL TO SELL a G42 to non-LEO in CA.    http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:41:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

(emphasis added)

The store only allows in, and only sells to.......  Blue Label qualified customers.  And that is the G42 Blue Label price.  

Also, its ILLEGAL for a FFL TO SELL a G42 to non-LEO in CA.    http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Centrally located in Brea, California the ProForce store is not open to the general public and only open to Law Enforcement, Military (both active and retired), Security Personnel, Medical First Responders and Fire Professionals. ID is needed to gain entry into the store which is open Monday - Saturday 9am-6pm Pacific for your convenience.
(emphasis added)

Saved me some typing.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:54:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

He doesnt know about the SSE.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:55:36 PM EDT
[#18]
I paid $399--wouldn't even come down to $389 because of demand.  I'm reading from many people who are getting $320-$350 now, but not around here.  

I don't care about the percent over cost my LGS charges as long as it's within $20-$30 of what I can find on the Internet (since with sales tax that will put me at $50 more).  Usually, the HUGE LGS has the same price as the cheapest I find on the Internet--and will match prices if you ask.  I much prefer to support the local guys if I can, and will pay a bit extra to do so.  One small shop has the best employees, but can't compete with the big guy's prices--but I buy all my accessories and stuff there beacuse they're good people--cleaning stuff (FireClean!), mags, a wilson combat barrel, slings, etc.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top