Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2014 7:49:21 PM EDT
I watched and wondered for about a year if Froglube was gonna turn out to be just another fad that came and went... so after hearing quite a few good reviews on this product I decided to try some. The firearm that I shoot the most is my Glock 23 so I decided to try it out on it in November. I did the initial strip and clean and I put Froglube on the slide and barrel by putting them in the oven for a few minutes and applying the paste per the instructions. I've been to the range about a dozen times since then and all I do when I get home is wipe everything down and reapply the paste.

This stuff really works. As you shoot, the components heat up and the Froglube actually comes out of the pours of the metal and lubricates the gun. I've heard different posters on ARFcom say that Froglube wasn't meant to be used on a Glock but I've been using it for 3 months now and really like this stuff. Another thing I like about it is that there's no way to accidently put too much lube on the slide and then have it leak out into your jeans when you CCW IWB, leaving a oil spot on your pants...

Oh, and I don't care what ya'll think, it smells great too.... so how about it, who else is trying Froglube on their Glock?

- Clint
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 8:18:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Been using Froglube for over a year and a half and I haven't had an issue with it. Plus it does smell awesome
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 8:23:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Never bought Froglube after seeing a couple posts about it gumming up in frigid weather.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 8:39:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never bought Froglube after seeing a couple posts about it gumming up in frigid weather.
View Quote

I'm not real sure what they are talking about since I live in Alaska and have been out in -15 below zero cold shooting this Glock lubed with Froglube and haven't experienced this "gumming up" phenomenon.... but with that said, when you apply this stuff to your gun, you let the part cool and then wipe off the excess, so I can't even understand what would be gumming up since the lubricant is supposed to be IN the metal not ON the metal.... but yeah, I know what you mean about people talking, I read some of the same posts and that's why it took me so long to try it... so idk, I haven't found that claim to be true. I think this rumor got started and is being spread by the "I heard" crowd...

- Clint
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 8:49:06 PM EDT
[#4]
what is frog lube supposed to do?

I just use wheel bearing grease. Stays on forever and doesn't dry out, and it is cheap.  a $5 tub will last 5 lifetimes.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 8:57:39 PM EDT
[#5]
yup
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 9:48:19 PM EDT
[#6]
My Glocks are run damn near dry.

Just a very small drop of oil on the frame rails and I am done with them.

Link Posted: 1/18/2014 10:25:41 PM EDT
[#7]
CLP for many years and many thousands of rounds.  No need to fix what isnt broken.  Froglube is pungent.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 11:24:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Been using it on everything for a year or so now, very happy with it. I had my carry 19 on me when it was -16 with windchill getting firewood and no gumming up
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 6:58:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Froglube had one of the most atrocious marketing approaches I've ever seen right when the stuff came out. It was very gimmicky and geared towards armchair commandos. They've cleaned it up a lot since then.

I still don't use it, because 1) I usually run everything fairly dry so I have no issues of "gumming up" and 2) Froglube won't do anything that SLIP2000 or TW25B won't do. If you've actually tested it out and it's working for you - great, keep using it.

Quoted:
I had my carry 19 on me when it was -16 with windchill getting firewood and no gumming up
View Quote

Were you shooting your gun, or just getting firewood?

Link Posted: 1/19/2014 9:03:52 AM EDT
[#10]
I like Frog Lube in gas operated guns.  It has a very high flash point...almost 4x that of petroleum based lubes which will cook off breakdown when the gun gets hot.  I have less carbon fouling on my pistons and bolts, and the fouling that is there is easier to clean.

Other than that, I stick with the dinosaur stuff.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 10:11:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm not real sure what they are talking about since I live in Alaska and have been out in -15 below zero cold shooting this Glock lubed with Froglube and haven't experienced this "gumming up" phenomenon.... but with that said, when you apply this stuff to your gun, you let the part cool and then wipe off the excess, so I can't even understand what would be gumming up since the lubricant is supposed to be IN the metal not ON the metal.... but yeah, I know what you mean about people talking, I read some of the same posts and that's why it took me so long to try it... so idk, I haven't found that claim to be true. I think this rumor got started and is being spread by the "I heard" crowd...

- Clint
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- Clint

Hmm, better to hear this from you since you would know first hand. Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 11:00:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Froglube had one of the most atrocious marketing approaches I've ever seen right when the stuff came out. It was very gimmicky and geared towards armchair commandos. They've cleaned it up a lot since then.

I still don't use it, because 1) I usually run everything fairly dry so I have no issues of "gumming up" and 2) Froglube won't do anything that SLIP2000 or TW25B won't do. If you've actually tested it out and it's working for you - great, keep using it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
I had my carry 19 on me when it was -16 with windchill getting firewood and no gumming up

just getting wood sir, I don't shoot in this weather. Wasn't frozen though.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 11:18:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I used to use gun butter and CLP more often. The one thing that I really like about frog lube (aside from the nice smell) is that it doesn't run all over the place when it is applied (paste)
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 11:22:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm a CLP or M7Pro LPX guy myself. More of a fan of the dino oils.

I will admit that the Glock is probably the most lubricant insensitive gun out there though.  I'm sure you could use Peanut Butter at -40 degrees and it'd still work awesome.

Link Posted: 1/19/2014 11:31:45 AM EDT
[#15]
I use Frog Lube on every pistol and rifle I own. When properly applied it is a fantastic product. I have not experienced a single problem using it. The biggest improvement I have noticed is how clean the barrel is after shooting. This is especially noticable in my S&W M&P 15-22. This particular rifle would get heavy lead fowling in the barrel anytime I used any Winchester products. Whether it was wildcats or M22, after 200 rounds or so it would start key holeing and was very difficult to get the lead out of the barrel. Now that I've been using frog lube I can run 1000 rounds of the same ammo through the gun with zero fowling. In fact it usually only takes a few patches before the barrel is spotless. Because of this experience I use Frog Lube on every gun I own.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 12:13:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Slip 2000 EWL
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 12:24:43 PM EDT
[#17]
I use Froglube on every firearm I own and I have been more then happy with its results. I live in hot East Texas so the "gumming up" when cold is a non issue. I like the fact that Froglube seeps into the metal, not on it. And when shooting, the gun heats up you can visually see the Froglube working.

I bet alot of the people that don't like Frogbube haven't even tried it.

Link Posted: 1/19/2014 12:44:30 PM EDT
[#18]
I have been using Magnalube G for close to 20 years on my Glocks. I find no need to reinvent my wheel, which spins quite nicely.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 2:28:37 PM EDT
[#19]
I handled a guys Remington 1911 he'd FL'd, no shit, felt like a new Ed Brown.

Super smooth / slick would be an under statement.

Link Posted: 1/19/2014 3:52:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

You know, I was messing around with my buddy's G23 that only has about 200 rounds through it, and it seemed really "tight" compared to mine... He asked me to clean it for him and Froglube it and now it feels as smooth as mine... So idk... But it does seem to make a firearm function smoother doesn't it!?

- Clint
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 4:33:36 PM EDT
[#21]
+1 on M7 PRO.  No frog lube.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 4:35:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I will admit that the Glock is probably the most lubricant insensitive gun out there though.  I'm sure you could use Peanut Butter at -40 degrees and it'd still work awesome.

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2014 6:30:07 PM EDT
[#23]
I've used it exclusively on my G17 and Colt AR since buying them new. These two have never had anything on them outside the factory besides FL and they work perfectly. The key, in my experience, is just to apply it as the manufacturer recommends. I can see how if someone just loaded tons of the paste onto their bolt carrier and then let it sit in sub-zero temps...it could get gummy. But I've shot my FrogLubed guns in about 5-10°F and they worked fine. Granted I didn't sit out there for too long because my a** was freezing...but the guns didn't gum up.

Its not the greatest thing in the world, but then again its not snake oil. I used regular Break-Free CLP for years before FL, and that worked fine as well. The only reasons I made the switch were because 1) its non-toxic and 2) it doesn't smell like s***. If those things don't matter to you...I'd recommend sticking with cheaper petroleum based products.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 10:38:29 PM EDT
[#24]

- Clint
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 10:46:26 AM EDT
[#25]
I have used it on all of my guns for the last couple months and I love it. Slides on my pistols are noticeably smoother, and it seems to stay on everything a bit longer than the previous products I used.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 11:55:21 AM EDT
[#26]
I talked to a Frog Lube rep a while back, asking about comments that it would freeze up in cold conditions.  He told me yes, that can happen if you go squirting the Frog Lube liquid on the gun as if it were regular oil/lube.  He said when it's cold, if you've done the original application correctly (heating the components to let the lube soak into the metal), you can run it completely dry and it will never seize up.  The lube heats up and lubricates, and as it cools, recedes back into the metal. no residual liquid sitting around to freeze.

I've used Frog Lube only on my AR and my XD-9 for about 6 months now with no issues.  Have gone out on some really fricken' cold days, and both weapons run great.

Plus, the wife no longer bitches about the chemical smells emanating from my workbench.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 2:48:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Looks like I will have to try this wonder drug.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 6:02:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Glocks need so little lube to run it does not much matter what product you use. From time to time I go to matches or shows where lube companies are giving out free samples and I tend to use whatever. Getting lube in the right places is more important than what product you use. And a little goes a long way. I just finished off a four ounce bottle I have been using for about 8 years. I shoot at least twice a week and run around 10k-15k a year in ammo expenditure so the guns do get used
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 7:50:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You know, I was messing around with my buddy's G23 that only has about 200 rounds through it, and it seemed really "tight" compared to mine... He asked me to clean it for him and Froglube it and now it feels as smooth as mine... So idk... But it does seem to make a firearm function smoother doesn't it!?

- Clint
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- Clint

Disregard, my apology, wrong thread.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 11:55:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 10:40:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The "soaking into the metal" part makes me skeptical.
View Quote

I hear 'ya.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 10:48:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I hear 'ya.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear 'ya.

I kinda thought the same thing, but the stuff definitely makes the guns feel smoother
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 11:52:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I kinda thought the same thing, but the stuff definitely makes the guns feel smoother
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear 'ya.

I have been shooting several times since I've started using the product... The gun is dry when I get to the range... As the gun heats up from being fired, it gets wet... When you stop shooting and the gun cools back down, it is dry again... So it defiantly goes back into the pours of the metal, like they claim it does!

- Clint
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 12:36:22 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm sure it works,

but show me a high magnification pic of gun metal. I used to have to cut , polish and inspect under a microscope welds.
I never once saw anything that resembled pours or anything else a liquid could "soak" into. it, if anything is a crystalline structure.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 12:47:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I might have to try running mine with peanut butter.  If it doesn't work, at least it will smell good.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 5:53:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have used it on all of my guns for the last couple months and I love it. Slides on my pistols are noticeably smoother, and it seems to stay on everything a bit longer than the previous products I used.
View Quote

Same here, very good results.  ARs, Glocks, stainless revolvers.   Clean up is with paper towels and q tips now.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top