Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2013 4:45:10 PM EDT
Hey guys,
I noticed a lot of threads about this lately so I figured I'd do some quick comparison pics of two of my Glock 19s, one with the Inforce APL and one with my Streamlight TLR-1.

Thickness (The TLR-1 is easily a half inch thicker than the Inforce APL which is a huge difference). The Inforce is basically the same width as the Glock slide while the TLR-1 is thicker

From top shows the length difference, once again about 1/2" difference:

From the front. You can see how the upper Glock 19 is canted from the TLR-1 being wider than the frame causing the cant:

Overall, more sleek, lighter, and boasts more lumens on a single bulb. I think the Inforce is great and so is the TLR-1. Design wise, the APL has the edge in my opinion and experiences.

Hope these pics help some of you guys looking for lights.
Link Posted: 8/1/2013 5:24:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I generally stick with Surefire. I have X200s, 300s, and a 300 Ultra. Have never had the urge to try Streamlight.

I have not gotten the chance to see an Inforce in person. So a couple questions if you will.

How does the construction feel? Well made?

How do the activation switches work?

ETA: To be honest until I saw your picture showing how narrow the light is I had no interest in one.
Link Posted: 8/1/2013 5:46:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I generally stick with Surefire. I have X200s, 300s, and a 300 Ultra. Have never had the urge to try Streamlight.

I have not gotten the chance to see an Inforce in person. So a couple questions if you will.

ETA: To be honest until I saw your picture showing how narrow the light is I had no interest in one.
View Quote

I've always been a Surefire only guy as well but I'm seriously considering trying out the Crimson Trace Lightguard for my carry G19.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/1/2013 5:53:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/2/2013 2:53:46 AM EDT
[#4]
twpayne,

The construction feels solid. It's polymer which is different then I'm used to but it has a good solid feel to it, not cheap or plasticy. Corners aren't sharp hardware seems of good quality and metal inserts are in the polymer so you can use loctite on the screws. It's priced right at $120 (+/- 10).

They are push paddle. You just give it a quick tap and it stays on. You hold the paddle down for momentary on.
Link Posted: 8/2/2013 5:15:44 AM EDT
[#5]

The issue I have is that even though it may be slimmer and shorter, major companies (safariland) are still going to use their universal light cup on holsters, so you will see no benefit from size reduction there.

I'm not sure where you saw that the APL was brighter, but the previous model TLR was/is 300 lumens. That's 100 lumens brighter, and hour longer run time, in a less expensive metal package.

The new HL TLR is 630 lumens with the same run time as the APL.  

The weight savings is a little over an ounce, which is only from loosing a battery.

I'm not sold on these yes, but I would be interested in trying one.
Link Posted: 8/2/2013 5:13:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Cool. The old TLR-1 which is the one I have was listed at 120 lumens. I wonder if I should call Streamlight and see if they'll do a free upgrade for me. I don't use Safariland holsters or universal holsters in general so for me the slim factor of the APL is an improvement. I don't think you'd be disappointed if you tried out the APL but the TLR  is great also. You're served amazingly well with both.
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 4:01:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Cool. The old TLR-1 which is the one I have was listed at 120 lumens. I wonder if I should call Streamlight and see if they'll do a free upgrade for me. I don't use Safariland holsters or universal holsters in general so for me the slim factor of the APL is an improvement. I don't think you'd be disappointed if you tried out the APL but the TLR  is great also. You're served amazingly well with both.
View Quote

Does Streamlight do upgrades??
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 4:26:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I have no clue. They are only like 2 hours from my place so shipping it to them would be cheap for me. I'm just curious. I e-mailed them last night so when I hear back I'll let you know.
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 2:18:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I ran a Streamlight TLR-2 prior to my Inforce APL and the weight different is noticeable right off the bat. You honestly don't need to spend a lot of time comparing them to just feel the weight difference. Any length you can lose in a carry pistol does help especially if you carry Appendix and find yourself sitting in cars a lot.  

In terms of the brightness the Streamlight has a brighter hot spot, no doubt, but from what I can see the throw of the light is pretty much the same and it's more than bright to ID guys and see their hands at defensive distances.  Now, I wouldn't put the APL on a rifle I expected to use at rifle distances, but for a handgun it's perfect in my opinion.

I also like the controls a lot better on the APL than on my Streamlight. The paddle switch is huge on the APL and makes using with gloves a lot nicer than the Streamlight. Now, I live in the great north where winter gloves are a must at least three months out of the year so I like that with thick winter gloves I can still very easily and nicely operate that APL.  I also like that it's absolutely ambi.  While the Streamlight has controls on both sides they swing different ways.  You push the TLR's lever down on the left for momentary on, but have to push it up on the right.

Link Posted: 8/4/2013 11:46:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Love the APL on my Glock 17 EXO so much, had to pick up one for my G21SF yesterday.  The 21SF had been wearing a Surefire X300, but I just prefer how much smaller the holster can be made to fit the APL.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top