Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/2/2013 4:55:56 PM EDT
Been carrying  this  about a month and a bit.
I noticed the rust after the first weekend.. Funny my two H&K's are rust free after 2 years of carrying.

Is this just a shitty finish on the gen4's ?? Anybody????

Link Posted: 7/2/2013 5:02:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine have never done that.
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 5:06:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Just a little surface rust, should be easy to take off, but it shouldn't be happening. Glock needs to refinish that slide.
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 5:07:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I didn't think that was possible.
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 5:21:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Edited.  Warning sent.  - DV8
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 5:22:40 PM EDT
[#5]
definitely shouldn't be doing that! None of my guns have ever done that....except my 91/30 when I neglect it and my Winchester 1887.
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 5:23:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't quote violations of the CoC.  - DV8
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 5:29:51 PM EDT
[#7]
That's weird call Glock.
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 5:33:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Whatever is happening it burns my stomach where the gun rides in the holster.

I have bought 2 more gen 4 19's and a gen4 26.  
I hope they all don't do this.

This is not a bash Glock thread.
I have a few.

Link Posted: 7/2/2013 5:51:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/2/2013 6:28:23 PM EDT
[#10]
You've been eating battery acid again haven't you...
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 6:51:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I have only seen one Glock rust. A former LEO where I live could get one to rust. For some reason his sweat was highly acidic. And he sweat a lot. He could rust most guns shut in short order. With his off duty carry Glock it just got some minor surface rust.

The only gun I have ever gotten to rust was an HK USPc. It would rust in the serial number and proof mark engravings. I was told on HKPro that it was because the serial and proofs were cut after the finish was applied. Never happened with my P2000, P30, or P30L though.

Do you leave this in the holster at night?

I have had three Gen 4 Glocks. All three of them have had a different slide finish.
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 7:06:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Thats never happened to any of my glocks, I even carry one when im roofing and it gets drenched in sweat.  You should call glock and have them refinish it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 7:24:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Do you leave this in the holster at night?

I have had three Gen 4 Glocks. All three of them have had a different slide finish.

Yes I leave it in the holster, but it is a speed scabbard, so the holster stops way shy of this area.
Also I leave my USPc & P30s in their hoster also. All ride in the same style of Desantis leather.
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 10:57:50 PM EDT
[#14]
OP, I'd call Glock on that.  I have *numerous* Glocks (2nd and 3rd gen) and none of their slides has done that.  My carry Glock stays in its kydex 24/7 and the bluing is worn off a lot of the slide and still no rust.

Great pics, BTW.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 12:48:57 AM EDT
[#15]
I've been wanting to buy a new 19, but these newer Glock's seem to be fucking junk.

I wish they'd raise the price instead of cutting all these corners.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 1:40:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just a little surface rust, should be easy to take off, but it shouldn't be happening. Glock needs to refinish that slide.

Yep, and you need to make sure they pay shipping both ways.  No excuse for that.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 6:03:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Yep none. A Glock should never look like that under normal carry.  Yet again more proof they cheaped out over the last few years. Your not the only one to post similar rusting issues over the last 6 months.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 6:47:04 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

+1

My gen 3 has not rusted even after being hit with water.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 7:15:49 AM EDT
[#19]
The finish isn't what prevents rust on a Glock - it's the treatment of the steel itself.  IMO Glock may need to replace that slide.  None of mine have ever done anything like that, even when the finish is worn off.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 7:31:26 AM EDT
[#20]
please do not make these types of posts in tech sections
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 8:39:48 AM EDT
[#21]
I sweat like crazy and my gen 4 19 hasn't rusted yet.  Never put any oil on the outside of it either.  I would call glock and get it refinished.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 11:22:16 AM EDT
[#22]
I bet your sweat will kill a rattle snake. Just kidding. Something is wrong with that slide. I only have two glocks but neither have done that.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 11:42:26 AM EDT
[#23]
I have seen this before. I live in a climate that can get pretty warm 105 yesterday and carry glocks and sigs on a regular basis. Never had this issues when i carry but my brother carries the same and end of the day they show rust like the OP posted. It did wipe off with a rag ( touch of oil ) but it happens due to his sweat. Even  happens on stainless slides from other manufactures.
-sigadvantage-
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 1:03:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Glock has been experimenting with the finish of their guns due to the newer nitration treatment.  If you call them they will probably refinish the slide for you.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 6:15:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Glock said to ship just the slide to them..

Dude sounded like this was not the first one to rust like this.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 6:50:34 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a new 19 that has been treated pretty rough and nothing like that.  Bet they had a bad run of them.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 6:52:21 PM EDT
[#27]
What serial prefix was on this one? I have two in the t prefix and hope they don't have the same problem over time.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 6:54:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What serial prefix was on this one? I have two in the t prefix and hope they don't have the same problem over time.

TCE

Link Posted: 7/4/2013 2:25:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Just hit it up with some clp. Mine had it in one spot. Clp a couple times and never again.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 3:09:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 6:47:49 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Definitely not normal. You got a friday gun. Something during the nitrocarburization process of that slide, went terribly wrong. Send it back, they should fix that no questions asked, and drop in another mag just for your trouble.
HTR.

Lets hope so.

Link Posted: 7/4/2013 7:33:31 AM EDT
[#32]
edited - DV8

Link Posted: 7/4/2013 9:34:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 9:09:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Uh, time for that to go back to Glock. Normal rust on a Glock is none.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:52:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

years of carrying a glock. I have never seen this.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:45:14 PM EDT
[#36]
In all my years being involved with and maintaining Glocks at the PD I work for (since 1993), I've only ever seen 1 Glock rust. That was a very early G26 that the Officer who owned it took absolute shit care of it. He ankle carried it in the rain, in the snow, getting it all sweaty, whatever, and never taking care of it. It was so bad a few times (absolutely fucking filthy, internal dust bunnies and dry as a bone) that I was absolutely amazed that it ran at qualifications. He ended up getting 1 pinhead-sized spot on the muzzle of the barrel, and it cleaned off with just a rag soaked in CLP. I yelled at him and he started taking a little better care of it, namely wiping it down and cleaning the crap off of and out of it once in a while. It never came back.

The PD went to issued duty guns last year, Gen4 G22s. All serial numbers are TFD prefix. So far, no rust on any, and I have been checking them after the reports of rust with the new nitriding process. Guess we'll see how they hold up, since these guys don't take any better care of them than they do any of the other guns. Sad part is, so far, they run like raped apes and they are so accurate that qualification scores have actually gone up a little, without any more practice, either.

I'd send it back to Glock and let them look at it, as you said you are going to do. I'd bet they will take care of it. At the same time, based on some info I remember from my last armorer's class (back in April), I'd bet they will also say that you need to take better care of it and do more preventative maintenance. The instructor in the class came right out and said one minute that the new nitriding process is actually better than Tenifer, but the next minute said that they do need wiped down and cared for on a regular basis. So, which is it? Is the new process better and more rust resistant than Tenifer, or do they need more care than earlier guns? Can't have it both ways, now. When asked about it, he brushed it off and went on without answering. Really makes me wonder.

Bub75
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 9:04:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
In all my years being involved with and maintaining Glocks at the PD I work for (since 1993), I've only ever seen 1 Glock rust. That was a very early G26 that the Officer who owned it took absolute shit care of it. He ankle carried it in the rain, in the snow, getting it all sweaty, whatever, and never taking care of it. It was so bad a few times (absolutely fucking filthy, internal dust bunnies and dry as a bone) that I was absolutely amazed that it ran at qualifications. He ended up getting 1 pinhead-sized spot on the muzzle of the barrel, and it cleaned off with just a rag soaked in CLP. I yelled at him and he started taking a little better care of it, namely wiping it down and cleaning the crap off of and out of it once in a while. It never came back.

The PD went to issued duty guns last year, Gen4 G22s. All serial numbers are TFD prefix. So far, no rust on any, and I have been checking them after the reports of rust with the new nitriding process. Guess we'll see how they hold up, since these guys don't take any better care of them than they do any of the other guns. Sad part is, so far, they run like raped apes and they are so accurate that qualification scores have actually gone up a little, without any more practice, either.

I'd send it back to Glock and let them look at it, as you said you are going to do. I'd bet they will take care of it. At the same time, based on some info I remember from my last armorer's class (back in April), I'd bet they will also say that you need to take better care of it and do more preventative maintenance. The instructor in the class came right out and said one minute that the new nitriding process is actually better than Tenifer, but the next minute said that they do need wiped down and cared for on a regular basis. So, which is it? Is the new process better and more rust resistant than Tenifer, or do they need more care than earlier guns? Can't have it both ways, now. When asked about it, he brushed it off and went on without answering. Really makes me wonder.

Bub75
View Quote

I may be a cynic but I'm going to contend that any process which replaces one banned due to environmental regulations is probably going to be inferior.

It just works out that way.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 10:34:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Switched from a USPc to a g19 and have experienced the same thing. TCB prefix. The usp never got a speck of rust even after a weekend of salt water fishing. I go for a jog with my 19 and it's red in the morning. I'm still happier with the Glock, but that's a tad frustrating.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 11:54:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Glock said to ship just the slide to them..

Dude sounded like this was not the first one to rust like this.
View Quote

I have been carrying mine for a year duty weapon everyday and noticed small patches of rust on it mostly from the winter but I have worn the finish off on it at a few places. Pissed me off because it wore in less then 6 months. Have been using Frog lube on mine since I found it and have had no problems with rust since then.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 2:53:56 AM EDT
[#40]
My Gen 4 19 is doing that on the other end of the slide. I just thought it was cause of the holster.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 3:18:23 AM EDT
[#41]
It happens. I know a guy in Arkansas that had corroded Glocks, S&W,
and has peeled the finish on a 642.  

Normally this is a lack of maintenance issue. In a humid environment, or
if the carrier sweats greatly on a regular basis. The carry weapon should
wiped nightly, allowed a bit of breathing time outside the holster at night ,
and field stripped and cleaned weekly
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 4:12:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Yep none. A Glock should never look like that under normal carry.  Yet again more proof they cheaped out over the last few years. Your not the only one to post similar rusting issues over the last 6 months.
View Quote

I've seen people post situations like this for over 10 years so it can happen from time to time.  It's not something new.

Send it back to Glock.  They will send you a new slide.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 6:59:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Don't know what's going on with that one. Never seen anything like it on a Glock. If you do return the slide, I'd make every effort to get the same slide back.

I have a Gen-2 21 that I had bought new on a police letterhead.  I carried it daily and it went through the week long firearms qualifications class at the police academy with me I shot at least a thousand rounds through it during that week. It was my daily duty weapon after that. Two years later I had to sell it to another officer friend of mine to pay for a divorce.

Fast forward five years later and I run across this same officer and he says "hey!  Look what I got?"  He pulls up his shirt and he has that same Glock tucked in his waistband. He then asked if I wanted it back and I said "yes, let's go the ATM."  

During the five years he had it, it had never been cleaned, 50 round qualification courses shot twice a year plus plinking on the side. He had carried it on duty in a holster, off duty in his waistband and sliding around under the seat of his car.The rear sight was missing and filthy was a kind description of the condition it was in.

I took it home and soaked it overnight in gun cleaner. In the morning there was a quarter inch thick layer of dirt and who knows what else in the bottom of the pan. After through cleaning and oiling, I took it to the nearest Glock armorer that had a rear sight and had a new one installed.

Today that gun sits in a quick access locker in my gun/reloading room.

After all that, it never looked like the one in that picture.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 8:04:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 9:10:21 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

that ain't right
View Quote
True.  I have never seen a glock rust.

Link Posted: 7/28/2013 7:48:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

^This. I've carried my gen 3 through thick and thin for over 5 years. Never seen anything like this; although I am meticulous about my stuff, this should not be happening regardless if you aren't meticulous like me.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 8:14:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I may be a cynic but I'm going to contend that any process which replaces one banned due to environmental regulations is probably going to be inferior.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bub75

While you may well be right, I'm betting that the rust issues are just a QC issue with the new process. After all, if it was just that the process itself was inferior, then we would have rusting Glocks all over the place. It seems to be spotty; some rust, most don't. Guess we'll find out as the guns with the new process get older and see more use. The fact that Glock seems to be perfectly willing to fix/replace rusted guns with few, if any, questions asked seems to me to indicate there is a problem and they know it. I just wish to hell that they could go back to Tenifer. I have a 1st Gen G17, a 2nd Gen G21 and a Gen2.5 G26 that were finished in Tenifer. NEVER a spot of rust or anything else and none of them have been babied. They have sometimes been abused, in the fact that they got sweated on, rained on or whatever on and haven't been cleaned for a long time. While we're at it, let's wish that Glock would quit using MIM parts, but that's another issue.

Bub75
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 3:45:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Got a call from Kevin @ Glock.

They are shipping me a whole new slide, he said that he wanted his boss the head of QC ?? to run some tests on it.
Anyhoo there was no bullshit from Glock about the rust, just get me a new one.
Kudos to Glock. If the new one rusts up also I'll mark it up to my sweat or whatever and get it ceracoated.

One of the members here offered me a pretty good deal for coating.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 4:24:41 PM EDT
[#49]
We had a few glock 21's rust like that after being in our thigh rigs coming ashore (ocean). Our MEU 1911, and HK never had an issue with the ocean, only the glock.

I would suggest sending the slide in and buying some froglube to coat your guns with.
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 4:26:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Glock has been experimenting with the finish of their guns due to the newer nitration treatment.  If you call them they will probably refinish the slide for you.
View Quote

It is going to get worse as the USA made glocks do not have the same finish as the Austria made glocks do. EPA regulations and such.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top