Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2011 2:05:22 PM EDT
I heard that Glock is not using the same tennifer process on new guns as before.  When comparing a new glock with an old one, I saw a color difference in the finish/slide, but I wanted to ask here to get all of the information.  So, did Glock change their process of treating the slides? If so, when did this happen and why?
Link Posted: 8/27/2011 3:02:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Since the tenifer treatment is "within" the metal, I'm not sure any change in it would be visible through the black finish.  So I don't think anything has changed in that respect.  But I have heard people talk about "old finish" and "new finish", how one was shinier/duller than the other.

Only been a Glocker for about a year and all but one of my Glocks were bought new as Gen 3's within the last year or so.  I have a 2005 G21, but I honestly can't see a difference between my 2010 manufactured Glocks.  So I have no idea.
Link Posted: 8/27/2011 3:04:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I am not sure about the Tenifer process.  I did hear something about them not being able to do the process here in the states due to the process not living up to EPA and OSHA specs for safety during application.  I do not know if there is any validity to that or not.  As for the change in color on the slide, it has NOTHING to do with the Tenifer process!!  Tenifer is a process that is clear and it bonds to the steel at a molecular level.
Link Posted: 8/27/2011 3:34:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I am not sure about the Tenifer process.  I did hear something about them not being able to do the process here in the states due to the process not living up to EPA and OSHA specs for safety during application.  I do not know if there is any validity to that or not.  As for the change in color on the slide, it has NOTHING to do with the Tenifer process!!  Tenifer is a process that is clear and it bonds to the steel at a molecular level.

This is exactly what I heard, only I was told that b/c of the EPA/OSHA standards, Glock changed the tennifer process for US guns.  That is what I want to figure out, was the process altered or is it the same still?
Link Posted: 8/27/2011 3:48:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I think the actual protective metal finish is the same, but the black coating is different.  It's more of a matte finish, and more grippy.  It's not as durable, so it might scratch to the bare metal, but the tennifer will still protect the metal from corrosion, just like the old finish.
Link Posted: 8/27/2011 4:19:52 PM EDT
[#5]
All I can say is, my new G30 and G21 have different finish to them than my G27 and G22 from 5 years ago.
Link Posted: 8/27/2011 4:32:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Nothing has changed with the tennifer. They just put a different finish on top of it. I want to say that the shiny finish was some type of Teflon finish and the matte finish is parkerizing or somthing similar.
Link Posted: 8/27/2011 5:11:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Rumor is that they've done away with Tenifer in favor of a similar process that is EPA-friendly because they produce some Glocks here in the US for export to countries that don't have export/import treaties with Austria, and they see no reason to use two different processes. If you look at their various websites, they no longer mention Tenifer.
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 12:33:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Rumor is that they've done away with Tenifer in favor of a similar process that is EPA-friendly because they produce some Glocks here in the US for export to countries that don't have export/import treaties with Austria, and they see no reason to use two different processes. If you look at their various websites, they no longer mention Tenifer.

Umm, you mean like the mention and explanation of Tenifer that they give on the official Glock website, as of the last time I checked, 48 seconds ago?

Click me to dispell allegations of ass hattery

Link Posted: 8/28/2011 12:58:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/28/2011 1:27:21 PM EDT
[#10]
The central glock.com website hasn't been updated for like two years.

http://www.teamglock.com/technology

Click the "Engineering" tab, then the "Surface Treatment" tab below that. They don't mention Tenifer, or any other specific name.

Check out this guy's G26, it's not a Gen4 but it has the same new gray finish as most Gen4's do: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17581005&postcount=42
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 2:00:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Wrong.

Glock still uses Tennifer for all slides made in Austria. There is a small number of Glocks made in the US and marked as such on the slide, in place of "Austria". These US made Glocks do not use the traditional Tennifer due to EPA regulations. They use melonite, or something similar. I cant really remember right now, but Melonite and Tennifer are basically the same thing.

Quoted:

Click the "Engineering" tab, then the "Surface Treatment" tab below that. They don't mention Tenifer, or any other specific name.

Check out this guy's G26, it's not a Gen4 but it has the same new gray finish as most Gen4's do: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17581005&postcount=42

Lots of confusion online about tennifer and the black finish on Glock slides. Tennifer is not the visible finish on the slides. It is a invisible metal surface treatment. Glock originally used Parkerizing or something similar for the slide finish. Then they moved to a really smooth, shiny black finish on Gen 3s that some people describe as Teflon like. Recently, Glock has moved back to a grey, rough, Parkerized looking finish similar to Gen 1s.
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 2:03:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

on the Glock website, it still has TENIFER listed as one of the three main selling points on the intro page.
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 2:11:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Lots of confusion online about tennifer and the black finish on Glock slides. Tennifer is not the visible finish on the slides. It is a invisible metal surface treatment.

Yes I know, Tenifer is a metal case-hardening process, it has nothing to do with the finish. But Tenifer is known for it's unbeatable corrosion-resistance, it's more corrosion-resistant than most stainless steels. If these newest Glock slides, which are coincidentally gray finished, rust so easily I doubt they're Tenifer treated. If you look at the Glock slides that say USA on them, they have the exact same gray finish. With Melonite the gray finish IS a by-product of the Melonite process.
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 2:25:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The website hasn't been updated in two years? Damn, how did the Gen 4 Glocks manage to get on the Site? Opps, wait, they updated it. Here is a news flash, you dont have to update a website every 6 months when you make the SAME DAMN THING over and over, year after year. Regardless, the Glock website has obviously had updates. you FAIL

Link Posted: 8/28/2011 2:42:05 PM EDT
[#15]
All this talk about the tenifer treatment not meeting US standards and therefore being outlawed here..............I thought the same thing, going on the numerous posts I had read stating just that.

But it turns out, "tenifer" is the exact same thing as "melonite" on the M&P's and whatever is on the XD's, which are both made in the US.  All the same thing, just different names.  So I'm not sure why people thought tenifer was a no-go in the US.  I was corrected in another thread here.
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 4:51:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quite simply, gun shop rumors exist even on the internet.
Melonite (M&P/SD) = Tenifer (Glock) = Tenifer Plus+ (XD/XDm)

The source of the confusion stems from the use of alkali cyanate which tends to involve some nasty chemicals and byproduct reactions –– arsenic acids and certain cyanides come to mind; however, the EPA does not ban these chemicals for legitimate operations to licensed individuals, businesses, etc. There are strict safety guidelines and waste disposal procedures that must be met.

The rampant misinformation in this thread is mind-boggling.
Link Posted: 8/29/2011 9:02:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Melonite may be the same as Tennifer, but it must be that Glock has come close to perfecting the process and S&W has not.  I say "come close" since we have a G17 slide at work with rust on it, with no damage, that we are sending back to Glock to be refinished.  It's a Gen 3 that's about 7 years old.

OTOH, another one of our locations switched to 9mm M&P's, and they are having a lot of slide rusting problems.
Link Posted: 8/29/2011 9:43:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Melonite may be the same as Tennifer, but it must be that Glock has come close to perfecting the process and S&W has not.  I say "come close" since we have a G17 slide at work with rust on it, with no damage, that we are sending back to Glock to be refinished.  It's a Gen 3 that's about 7 years old.

OTOH, another one of our locations switched to 9mm M&P's, and they are having a lot of slide rusting problems.

M&P slides are stainless steel and because of that much, much more quality control has to go into the nitriding process.  If you do any step incorrectly or with too much deviation in temperature per step you actually end up with something that is far less corrosion resistant than the original steel.  

Glock gets around this by using carbon steel for the slides and generally takes to the nitriding process much more easily.
Link Posted: 8/29/2011 11:15:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

M&P slides are stainless steel and because of that much, much more quality control has to go into the nitriding process.  If you do any step incorrectly or with too much deviation in temperature per step you actually end up with something that is far less corrosion resistant than the original steel.  

Glock gets around this by using carbon steel for the slides and generally takes to the nitriding process much more easily.

That makes sense.  I guess S&W probably thought using SS would make it more corrosion resistant, but it backfired on them.  So many people think SS cannot rust, but there's some carbon in SS, so although it requires less maintenance, it can't be completely neglected.

Top Top