Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/5/2017 6:38:49 PM EDT
I carry iwb at 3 or 4 o'clock.  I am interested in appendix carry.  Is it popular because it's fast or because it conceals better?

I've always carried at 3 or 4. But in the summer it prints a bit with a light shirt.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 7:55:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Both.  Understand going into it that body type has a lot to do with what works best for you.  Unless you're very thin, I would highly recommend getting a holster that has a claw or at least a wedge.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 7:59:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I has teh belly
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 8:00:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:... in the summer it prints a bit with a light shirt.
View Quote
Is printing illegal?  If not, then why worry about it?
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 8:11:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I has teh belly
View Quote
Me too! If you go up a size on pants, loosen up the belt, the belly conceals even more. Think of it, like a shed roof.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 8:24:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Conceals better, quicker draw(if you care about that sort of thing),more control, draw while on your back, less likely to injure you if you fall, YMMV.

For me, benefits outweigh the cons.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 8:33:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Not giving a shit about printing legally. I'm just thinking about some shithead grabbing it when bent over.or something.

Also, let's be honest, I like new toys ...
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 8:36:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Just to the left of my right poket pointed directly at my right ball.
g-code incog
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 8:42:09 PM EDT
[#8]
conceals way better and is a little faster.

Try it. What gun?
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 3:15:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Glock 26 and 19.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 7:57:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Personally JM custom kydex is my favorite but if you want to try a good quality holster that won't break the bank, give mastermind tactics AIWB holster a shot.  Excellent quality and CS for the price.  I have one for my 19.
https://www.mastermindtactics.com/shop-1/aiwb. Has a claw and wedge.

Great holster to see if you like carrying aiwb without spending a bundle and waiting 2 months.  Great price, quick shipping, excellent value.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 11:38:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Carry style and position is very subjective to the carrier.  I am still hunting around trying to find a setup that feels good for me that is AIWB.  Due to prior injuries it is difficult to appendix carry even sometimes IWB is painful but I most times just suck it up.  

I have a G43 with a TLR-6 in an INCOG Shadow with a super-mojo attached on the magazine attachment side.  I ride the holster high to minimize contact with certain areas when I appendix carry it.  Disclaimer I have not actually started carrying it like this except range and around house for testing until I am comfortable using the setup.  I still carry a G19 with XC1 in a INCOG Shadow at 4 o'clock as my everyday carry.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 1:29:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Not giving a shit about printing legally. I'm just thinking about some shithead grabbing it when bent over.or something.

Also, let's be honest, I like new toys ...
View Quote
OK, we all like new toys.  Have you considered AOWB?  Much more comfortable.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 2:03:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Personally JM custom kydex is my favorite but if you want to try a good quality holster that won't break the bank, give mastermind tactics AIWB holster a shot.  Excellent quality and CS for the price.  I have one for my 19.

Great holster to see if you like carrying aiwb without spending a bundle and waiting 2 months.  Great price, quick shipping, excellent value.
View Quote
These holsters are both good options to try. Me personally, I like the longest slide configuration I can get for a specific gun for holster stability, comfort and concealment reasons, and a slight safety advantage. For example for any 9mm Glock, I like a G34 length AIWB holster. It sounds counter intuitive, but for my body time a longer holster is considerably more comfortable. YMMV.

I was just having this discussion with a coworker a week or so ago. There is no free lunch and it much depends on your body type, gun you're carrying, how high your typical pants ride on your waist, etc. If you buy a less than ideal holster to test the waters of AIWB, don't be surprised when you don't like it. The loss in money on a good holster if it doesn't work out is minimal, maybe $20. Worth it to buy once cry once.

As for the printing concerns, the only time I even want a thought that I might be carrying a gun is when the gun comes out of the holster.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 2:07:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I carry iwb at 3 or 4 o'clock.  I am interested in appendix carry.  Is it popular because it's fast or because it conceals better?

I've always carried at 3 or 4. But in the summer it prints a bit with a light shirt.

Thanks
View Quote

I find it's a bit faster on the draw and it conceals better.  It still prints a bit with a fitted T but not nearly as bad as a 3-4 oclock.  

Note that it's not very comfortable or concealable if you have a belly.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 2:09:37 PM EDT
[#15]
dupe
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 8:08:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Thank you all for the replies.

Do you prefer the solid loops, clips, or soft loops?

It seems like appendix carry is more finicky or a pain in the ass to set up compared to more traditional options..
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 6:57:18 AM EDT
[#17]
1) It conceals WAY better on me
2) it is far more comfortable seated/driving in a car (which i do a lot of)
3) i can access my gun quickly if i'm carrying a child (which i'm often doing on weekends)
4) might be .1-.2 seconds faster.

I like hard clips -- honestly the best clips i've ever used are the GCode INCOG clips.  I've used soft loops too, and still do on my mag carrier, but i like the gun a bit more locked in place.  

A strong quality gun/EDC belt is going to be key for AIWB.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 8:00:51 AM EDT
[#18]
I usually wear a Wilderness Tac 1.5" belt.  Beltman 1.25" for dress.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 10:00:29 PM EDT
[#19]
For me it's just more livable day in and day out.  JM Custom wirh G19 for me.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 3:44:22 AM EDT
[#20]
After carrying AIWB and pocket carry for awhile, I don't feel like I have control of a weapon at 3 or 4 o'clock.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 5:32:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thank you all for the replies.

Do you prefer the solid loops, clips, or soft loops?

It seems like appendix carry is more finicky or a pain in the ass to set up compared to more traditional options..
View Quote
Yes.

While more of a pain to put on I prefer a solid loop as they're arguably the strongest and flattest profile overall. In order of preference I like:

Split kydex or injection molded loop (so I can center it on my first belt loop on most of my pants)
    Solid kydex or molded loop
    One way pull the dot loops (easy on off by often print more in my experience)
    A GOOD belt clip that locks under the belt. JM Custom Kydex and several other companies use the same US made injection molded clip
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 9:46:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think I am going to try the Mastermind as you suggested.

One last question, do I need the wedge?  If so, foam vs neoprene?

Ok, two... The clip is more convenient. Any reason to avoid the clip?
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 4:30:02 PM EDT
[#23]
It's extremely uncomfortable with a belly.  I lost a ton of weight and now it's my preferred method of carry.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 6:26:35 PM EDT
[#24]
I dropped 13 pounds in the last 2 weeks on keto. Another 10 and I'll be back where I was last year.

I wore a blade tech iwb today with my 19.  About 2 inches off center. I have some pain their from an inguinal hernia surgery 20 years ago. The muzzle dug right into it... The 26 was a little better.

It was a little more comfortable if I moved the muzzle to my centerline. But this meant I had to move the buckle to the left.  This holster is not an AIWB so there's that.

I don't think the wilderness tactical belt is the best for this setup.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 8:08:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I think I am going to try the Mastermind as you suggested.

One last question, do I need the wedge?  If so, foam vs neoprene?

Ok, two... The clip is more convenient. Any reason to avoid the clip?
View Quote
I just ordered my 2nd Mastermind AIWB, this one for a Shield. The standard wedge comes with the holster, I'd start with it. While belt clips aren't my favorite attachment method, they use the US made injection belt clip that is very popular with holster makers these days. It bites deep under the belt and in fact can be more difficult to remove than you'd expect. Again, not my favorite but for convenience it is a pretty good option. Since I have the other attachments already, I ordered this one with the clip to play with. I say go for it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:56:32 AM EDT
[#26]
A buddy of mine was kind enough to let me wear his for a few days. Kydex G26 with a spare mag.  It's all one continuous piece with a belt clip at each end.

Pretty comfortable overall. However, a 4 hour drive became intolerable towards the end.  The muzzle was really digging into the bony area above the groin.  The muzzle was centered on my midline to keep the butt from printing... No claw or wedge.  Pushing the butt in relieved that pain a bit.  I assume that is what the claw does.

The G19 was just too big and printed bad.  Really just the butt.

Overall.I like it. Takes the sagging off my hips, even with a gun belt.

Also the G26 holster is so shallow, it feels like it will roll out when you bend forward..

Regards
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:58:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
A buddy of mine was kind enough to let me wear his for a few days. Kydex G26 with a spare mag.  It's all one continuous piece with a belt clip at each end.

Pretty comfortable overall. However, a 4 hour drive became intolerable towards the end.  The muzzle was really digging into the bony area above the groin.  The muzzle was centered on my midline to keep the butt from printing... No claw or wedge.  Pushing the butt in relieved that pain a bit.  I assume that is what the claw does.

Also the G26 holster is so shallow, it feels like it will roll out when you bend forward..

Regards
View Quote
A claw and or wedge help with the grip printing.

For driving: I pull my carry belt up slightly above normal and tuck my shirt behind the holster so I can tuck the lower seat belt behind while driving. Has proven to be really comfortable for me, increases accessibility and could prevent it from being pushed into my abdomen if I get into an accident.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:39:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Yeah, that makes sense for driving.  Any advice on a belt with a small buckle? I usually wear a wilderness tactical and the buckle on that is just a whole bunch of real estate..
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:54:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yeah, that makes sense for driving.  Any advice on a belt with a small buckle? I usually wear a wilderness tactical and the buckle on that is just a whole bunch of real estate..
View Quote
No suggestion on a small buckle belt. I have a few wilderness and 5.11 1.5"/1.75" belts I wear with the buckle offset to my left.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:35:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Appendix is the only way I can carry without printing badly or causing some back pain. It allows me to comfortably conceal a larger handgun, and have my pants/belt a tad looser so that it doesn't bother my back as well. Comfort will be dependent on your body type and proportions, but I find that a longer holster actually makes it more comfortable because the holster has something to leverage against instead of just digging into the soft part of your groin below the belt buckle.

ETA: again it is all personal, but I routinely drive/sit for several hours at a time with my appendix rigs without any discomfort.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:33:27 PM EDT
[#31]
My experience has made me a big fan of appendix carry.  I have always had big hips/thighs and a big butt, even when I was lean AF right after basic training.  (so pocket carry is never going to be an option for me cuz I dont like baggy stuff)

I carried at 4'oclock at first (like everybody) and then tried shoulder rigs.  I actually prefer shoulder rigs but neither is good at hiding the gun.  At 4, the gun is hanging off my already wide waistline and the shoulder rigs require BIG jackets to keep them hidden.  Not my cup'a tea at all.  

So I tried AIWB.  Carried without a round in the chamber at first since I was terrified of a round destroying my balls but after carrying that way for awhile and seeing a Colion Noir video about carrying with a round in teh chamber I went back to carrying glocks ready to go, but now in AIWB.  I have found that AIWB is the most comfortable.  I am 5'10" and was about 180 lbs when I left the army and got up to 210 as of last October (depressed divorced life got me pretty good for awhile).  I recently moved to Utah and have been working like a dog to lose weight and get back in shape.  So far Im at 200 but Im not just losing weight, Im building muscle.  (Nutrition for this is one hell of a monotonous bitch but it is possible).  Gut is much smaller.  

All that to say that I've been very lean, fat and I'm moderately lean again.  I've carried appendix the entire time and have always enjoyed it.  To be sure, it is easier when your legs and gut aren't as squishy but even then it was never painful to drive (even all day) or walk for awhile.  So the biggest positive about Appendix for me is that comfort.  It is the most important factor in whether you wear your guns and AIWB is always the most comfy for me.  At least when were talking about concealed.  

Other things I enjoy about AIWB:  

Virtually no printing, even when I was at my fattest.  Sure my waist looks a little bigger but it just looks like a little more gut, it doesn't look remotely like a gun in your pants.  Now that Im leaner I don't even notice the increased footprint of my waist now when I check in the mirror on my way out the door.  I know you said you got belly but this gives you an idea of what to expect now AND what you might expect if you ever lose weight.  

Easier to get my holster on my belt.  Most of my holsters right now have soft loops and so I have to push the belt through them, I cant like squeeze them like a cereal bag clip and just push them between my skin and my pants/belt.  I actually like those types of clips and most future holsters will come with those but the holsters I currently have are the soft loops and it is a huge PITA getting them on at like 4'oclock between belt loops in your pants.  

Downsides to AIWB:

Most "AIWB" marketed holsters are just IWB holsters and suck for AIWB, especially if you are fat.  There are still plenty of options but most of the super cheapo ones are automatically DQ'ed in my experience.  Expect to spend $60 at the VERY least on a holster.  If you don't you will just hate whatever POS you do buy and will end up buying the good one down the road anyways so just man up and do it right the first time.

Pissing in urinals can be awkward as hell, especially if you are in a crowded restroom like right after a movie gets out.  Again, this one was more of an issue when I was fatter but even lean it can be a pain if you're rocking a bigger gun (like semiauto, not package) though if that takes up alot of space like mine does then, again, you gotta make more room for it to take that piss  too.  The struggle is real lol

Bending over hurts.  Always crouch.  Even lean this is true but when I was fat, bending down to pick something up or like tie your shoes was really uncomfortable.  Now its just unpleasant.  You usually do this for guns at 3-5'oclock too but there its not for pain and just to avoid having your shirt ride up and have your gun become visible.  With AIWB, its done to avoid pinching your nuts/johnson or having the frame dig into your guts.  

Belt buckles are now an enemy.  If you already use CCW designed belts then this doesn't matter since most of those are designed with small/spartan buckles.  But if you wanna rock a flag of Texas or something, thats not gonna happen (comfortably) with a gun and your dick all trying to share the same real estate.  

Cant think of any others right now.  But those are the pros and cons as I see it.  In my mind the Pros greatly outweigh the Cons which is why I love appendix carry.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 5:53:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Thank you for the reply.
Off topic.  Please give keto a try. I didn't believe but I tried it.  I dropped weight like a crack whore.  45 pounds in 4 months. Every one in the office thought I had aids.

Anyway, I really liked everything about it except the printing and groin pain. I do think a claw device and wedge would fix that.
I'm going to not give up yet.
Regards
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 1:11:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Ill look into keto.  

What I've been doing is hitting the gym twice a day (sometimes 3 times).  Cardio, weights (main body part) and on the 3 a days, Ill hit abs and calves for that session.  Nutrition is boring AF.  Egg whites, skim milk, greek yogurt, lentils, chicken breast, turkey breast and protein powder/bars for protein.  For carbs I have cereal, granola, mixed veggies (mostly corn and peas but Ill mix other shit in sometimes).  Thats it for carbs.    For fats: guac, almonds, walnuts, pecans, chia and flax seeds and thats it.  

Only stuff I can do to make shit taste better is mild salsa (hate mild but i was having hot stuff way too often and it was messing with my digestion), mustard (both work great on anything I heat up, and honey for the greek yogurt.  

Its been miserable but keeping above 30g of protein per meal 6 or 7 times a day, 3 hours apart is working wonders.  My divorce gut is slowly but surely vanishing while muscle mass is increasing.  

The irony is this is all to look good for ladies.  But (if history is anything to go by) the second I start dating a girl, shes gonna fuck up my nutrition and workout schedule.    I guess at that point it won't matter as much anymore
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 9:44:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Ill look into keto.  

What I've been doing is hitting the gym twice a day (sometimes 3 times).  Cardio, weights (main body part) and on the 3 a days, Ill hit abs and calves for that session.  Nutrition is boring AF.  Egg whites, skim milk, greek yogurt, lentils, chicken breast, turkey breast and protein powder/bars for protein.  For carbs I have cereal, granola, mixed veggies (mostly corn and peas but Ill mix other shit in sometimes).  Thats it for carbs.    For fats: guac, almonds, walnuts, pecans, chia and flax seeds and thats it.  

Only stuff I can do to make shit taste better is mild salsa (hate mild but i was having hot stuff way too often and it was messing with my digestion), mustard (both work great on anything I heat up, and honey for the greek yogurt.  

Its been miserable but keeping above 30g of protein per meal 6 or 7 times a day, 3 hours apart is working wonders.  My divorce gut is slowly but surely vanishing while muscle mass is increasing.  

The irony is this is all to look good for ladies.  But (if history is anything to go by) the second I start dating a girl, shes gonna fuck up my nutrition and workout schedule.    I guess at that point it won't matter as much anymore
View Quote
Check out fitness singles.com

I met my wife there. We help each other out if one starts to get lazy
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 10:34:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Currently rocking a Mastermind tactics AIWB for the 19.  Love the claw, great ride height, very comfortable.  The wedge didn't do anything for me.  I would recommend their product, cheap and fast way to try it out.

I had been previously unsuccessful concealing the Glock 19.  I've got a smaller waist and the butt always stuck out.  The mastermind claw really tucks it in for me.  I wear the gun at about 12:30-1 o'clock.  Now it conceals almost as well as my 43.

I wear it with a Blue Alpha Gear 1.5" belt.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 12:59:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Regards
View Quote
What brand?  It matters.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 8:11:54 AM EDT
[#37]
No name.  A friend of his makes kydex holsters.  Doesn't have a website..
Looks kinda like this..

Link Posted: 5/9/2017 4:54:27 PM EDT
[#38]
I just changed from 4 o clock to AIWB in the last month.  I like it a lot.  But having said that, my main carry gun is a Smith 442.  So it's a lot smaller.  I have a G26 and I'm not as comfortable with it there, but it still works.  

I like the option of a holster that allows you to pull it off your belt.  When you're at the range, it seems like a good idea to take your holster off your belt to reholster.  I know not everyone does it that way, but that allows for a very safe situation.  If holstering with it inside your pants, there just seems like less room for error, so to speak.   Or if there was an error, less damage.  

Combat Jack gave me the idea of taking your holster off every time you reholster.  

But yeah, I don't want to go back to 4 oclock at all.  At this point.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 5:12:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
No name.  A friend of his makes kydex holsters.  Doesn't have a website..
Looks kinda like this..

http://cdn6.bigcommerce.com/s-549p36gi16/products/128/images/748/lkfg__27464.1491150793.480.480.jpg?c=2
View Quote
Try another brand.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:08:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Thanks All,

Ordered the Mastermind AIWB and spare Carrier.  I'll post back when I have a chance to try it out.

Regards
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:40:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Although others have covered this, it was explained like this to me:
1: it's faster and easier to draw from directly in front than reaching behind and fishing around.
2: people don't generally go around staring at each other's crotches
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:22:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Thanks All,

Ordered the Mastermind AIWB and spare Carrier.  I'll post back when I have a chance to try it out.

Regards
View Quote
Good move.  Looking forward to hearing about your experience.  Use a good belt and reholster slowly.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:31:05 PM EDT
[#43]
I have a few good gun belts, but think I may need a thin one with a low profile buckle..
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:32:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I have a few good gun belts, but think I may need a thin one with a low profile buckle..
View Quote
Take a gander at the Volund G hook Atlas belt
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:02:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Thanks All,

Regards
View Quote
I ordered one for my shield and it's been my go to holster.  It's a great deal for the price and accessories you get with it.  I just ordered another one for my Sig P320
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 8:27:01 PM EDT
[#46]
I want to carry AIWB, but I too have a belly.

I have dabbled in it before, with bad and decent holsters. Standing it was ok, but sitting it was unbearable (I blame the belly, but I had a RCS Vanguard on a G26)

I am working on losing weight now, and I will try again when I get low enough to get flat belly.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 10:38:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I want to carry AIWB, but I too have a belly.

I have dabbled in it before, with bad and decent holsters. Standing it was ok, but sitting it was unbearable (I blame the belly, but I had a RCS Vanguard on a G26)

I am working on losing weight now, and I will try again when I get low enough to get flat belly.
View Quote
You don't need a flat belly and the Vanguard is not a good choice for you.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 10:52:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
I know it doesn't need to be flat, but it needs to be smaller than it is now

With my belly the way it is now it pushes the gun into me, both in the belly and above the groin. When I tried it last, with the VG which may have been the problem, I would walk with it and be ok, I think I could have loosened up my belt some. But the sitting I couldn't get around.

I've had a close to divorce situation, stress at work and have put on a few more pounds, so I need to get back down and really try it again and give it a real go.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 4:52:19 PM EDT
[#49]
AIWB all comes down to holster choice and trying various mounting options and positions until it fits your body size just right.

I'm not a little guy. 6'4, 240 pounds and carry a roland special g19 in a CNC keroman V2 and it's extremely comfortable. If it's summer and I'm just rolling during the daylight, I'll use a phlster classic with their new claw and a stock g19.

Play with mounting types and see what ya find, but above all, use a proper holster
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 9:06:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

With my belly the way it is now it pushes the gun into me, both in the belly and above the groin. When I tried it last, with the VG which may have been the problem, I would walk with it and be ok, I think I could have loosened up my belt some. But the sitting I couldn't get around.

I've had a close to divorce situation, stress at work and have put on a few more pounds, so I need to get back down and really try it again and give it a real go.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck with everything, I mean that.  If you have a Glock 9mm, let me know if you want to try a holster.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top