Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2017 2:34:10 AM EDT
I took the fam out to see the Lego Batman movie tonight and decided to break in my ankle carry rig for the first time.  The weight of the pistol affected my gait, that was not something I anticipated.  Nobody noticed, as far as I could tell.  I was wearing a pair of black Dickies pants so plenty of room around the cuff of the pants and I don't think I printed that anyone would see.  I went for outside of my right ankle as I am right handed.  I didn't tell my wife I was carrying and she didn't notice.  

Pretty uneventful experience.  

The fact that I had significantly extra weight on that leg mean that while walking I was conscious of what I was doing and that was a little distracting.  Pocket carry is less distracting.

I suppose it was OK.  I would probably prefer pocket carry, though.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:41:03 AM EDT
[#1]
What kind of holster?

I have a Galco ankle glove and carry a Kahr P9 on the ankle in addition to my IWB 1911. The ankle is the most comfortable way to carry I've ever experienced. Do not even notice it. I'm 5'10 and 160, so not exactly a big guy either.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 2:44:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree having extra weight on one ankle and not the other is super awkward
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 4:40:14 AM EDT
[#3]
That's interesting, maybe bilateral carry would be more comfortable.  I'd rather carry two suitcases, one in each hand, it's easier to balance than to compensate.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:49:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I wear an ankle rig rarely and in very select situations.  While walking down the street in NYC at 0230, I realized that my ankle is really, really far away.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:56:01 AM EDT
[#5]
What are you carrying? A 642 on my ankle and I almost forget its there.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:16:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wear an ankle rig rarely and in very select situations.  While walking down the street in NYC at 0230, I realized that my ankle is really, really far away.
View Quote

+1

If the ankle gun is a backup/second gun, that's one thing. But the only time I will carry my primary/only gun on my ankle is if the choice is between carrying on my ankle or not carrying at all, for whatever concealment concerns there may be in the environment/location. The ankle is the least preferable carry location for me.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:39:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What kind of holster?

I have a Galco ankle glove and carry a Kahr P9 on the ankle in addition to my IWB 1911. The ankle is the most comfortable way to carry I've ever experienced. Do not even notice it. I'm 5'10 and 160, so not exactly a big guy either.
View Quote

That's a whole lot of weight, bulk and  hardware to have fewer rounds on tap than a g19
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:49:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I agree having extra weight on one ankle and not the other is super awkward
View Quote
I tried with my G27. Didn't care for it. I have a really nice Galco holster I should probably sell. 
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:53:22 AM EDT
[#9]
First, realize the trade-offs for ankle carry for your primary.

That said, a *good* holster is necessary, with a suitable gun.  Then just get used to it--practice.  Feels weird the first week or so, but my G27 carries great in a Kramer ankle rig.  The Quasimodo gait is a result of unfamiliarity with the carry method.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:06:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I tried ankle carry several times, Glocks are way too big for me, the Sig 938 or smaller are doable but still not comfortable. It feels and looks like I have a brick strapped to my ankle.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:02:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Some kind of black velcro based thing.  It did the job.  I would prefer to carry something lighter, but I would prefer to shoot something heavier.  I'm kind of recoild sensitive, so it's better for me to carry a smaller round and more of it.  I'd rather shoot something twice vs blasting a big hole in something.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:28:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I carried a S&W model 15 on my ankle for many years flying for the USAF.  Since I was seated most of that time it worked well.  I had a cheap nylon rig that velcro'd around my flight boot and a vertical strap with another velcro that wrapped around the calf.  I had to shorten the vertical strap between the two velcro straps to make it work for me.  

I tried inside and outside the ankle on both legs and didn't like it; then I positioned the gun in front over my right foot and that worked much better.  

I still have the holster in case I ever decide to carry a backup gun, but OWB is considerably more comfortable and accessible so I would never use it for EDC.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:16:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Was there a reason you went on the outside of your right leg?  I think most righties go inside the left ankle.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:53:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Was there a reason you went on the outside of your right leg?  I think most righties go inside the left ankle.
View Quote
Me?  I didn't.  I carried on the front, like where my shin is.  That eliminated the weird gait.  The holster was on the outside of my boot so it wasn't pushing right on my shin.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:57:15 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't like ankle carry for the reasons mentioned. Prefer in waist band and out of waist band with a loose fitting shirt.

Vince
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:04:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Me?  I didn't.  I carried on the front, like where my shin is.  That eliminated the weird gait.  The holster was on the outside of my boot so it wasn't pushing right on my shin.
View Quote

Sorry, question was intended for OP.  Thanks for your insight.  I'm somewhat considering moving my BUG to my ankle to gain a TQ and pressure dressing (or ankle carry the med gear; haven't decided yet).
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:31:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Personally I always carried on the inside of either leg, made drawing with either hand a breeze.

I know 2 guys who ankle carry frequently as a BUG. One a G27 and the other a S&W Shield. The proper holster makes a big difference.  I wouldn't primary carry on my ankle unless i needed to deep conceal, or seated in a vehicle.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 6:09:49 AM EDT
[#18]
I ankle carry a 340pd occasionally in a Galco rig.

Super light. But not an ideal carry style.

However not a bad option as a backup to IWB.

Pocket carry still preferred for backup piece when practicable.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:42:32 PM EDT
[#19]
I did a galco ankle glove with a jframe. Inside my left leg cause im right handed. I forget its there.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:19:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I've got an ankle holster my LCP, my Shield, and my Glock 27. I'm right handed, carry them on inside of left leg. The Glock is the only one that really affects gait for me, due to weight.

I don't ankle carry often, when I do, it's not my primary carry method, and it's in a situation I'll be seated for a lengthy period of time, like when I go to the movie theater, or a road trip.

Even at my grandpa's funeral, I had my Shield AIWB because the holster has tuckable clips. On a black belt, not a single person noticed, if they did, they didn't say anything.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:43:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Right handed you need it on the inside of your left ankle.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:37:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I carry on the inside of the left ankle. I've tried using the outside right ankle but it feels more uneven and it's easy to hit the gun on something if you step close to it.

It's also faster to draw from the inside left ankle while you're siting down. I can draw from my ankle faster than from my waste while in a car. But normally only ankle carry if I can't carry anything else.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:18:05 PM EDT
[#23]
You should be carrying on the inside of your weak ankle. As a righty I carry on my left ankle. I wear my S&W 342Ti on my ankle almost every day, it is comfortable. I forget I am carrying sometimes. The key is pairing a compact, light weight pistol with a quality ankle holster. The gun I carry weighs about 12oz. I use a Galco ankle glove with a calf strap. The Galco ankle glove is the most comfortable ankle holsters I have tried. Expansive yes, but this is one of those buy once cry once situations. I think a lot of the reasons you hear people complain about ankle carry is that they are using a cheap holster that doesn't support the weight of the gun and they are trying to ankle carry too much gun. I personally could not imagine trying to carry something like a Glock 26 in an ankle holster.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 5:09:01 AM EDT
[#24]
I started carrying a gun on my inside left ankle (i'm a righty) about 5/6 months ago. It's strictly a BUG/why not carry option for me. It's some cheaper UTG/Leapers rig I found on Amazon. I wanted to try it with a cheaper (but it seems to be of good quality) holster before putting down a bunch of money  for a dedicated ankle rig.

As I said, it's simply as a BUG/why the Hell not, carry gun option. And it's a Beretta Bobcat/21a. It's small and comfortable. I tried carrying my XDs. Too big for me. I'll need to try a 642 or similar for gigggles.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 6:30:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I took the fam out to see the Lego Batman movie tonight and decided to break in my ankle carry rig for the first time.  The weight of the pistol affected my gait, that was not something I anticipated.  Nobody noticed, as far as I could tell.  I was wearing a pair of black Dickies pants so plenty of room around the cuff of the pants and I don't think I printed that anyone would see.  I went for outside of my right ankle as I am right handed.  I didn't tell my wife I was carrying and she didn't notice.  

Pretty uneventful experience.  

The fact that I had significantly extra weight on that leg mean that while walking I was conscious of what I was doing and that was a little distracting.  Pocket carry is less distracting.

I suppose it was OK.  I would probably prefer pocket carry, though.
View Quote

I find that ankle carry puts the firearm too far out of reach, in an awkward position, and you have to be very self conscious about that. I can fidget around my phone case on my belt, my wallet, my shirt, and my pants and not give away I am carrying. You start messing with your ankle, people think you either have cankles or a gun. If it's small enough to ankle carry, its small enough to pocket carry. If its small enough to pocket carry, ankle carrying is silly IMO. YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:05:47 PM EDT
[#26]
I ankle carry an LCP as a backup gun a few days a week just because I can. I would never ankle carry as a primary carry gun unless it was the only option (such as wearing scrubs). Pocket carrying a backup gun sucks for me because I already have enough crap in my pockets and it weighs the front of my pants down with a G19 and spare mag appendix.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:13:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I took the fam out to see the Lego Batman movie tonight and decided to break in my ankle carry rig for the first time.  The weight of the pistol affected my gait, that was not something I anticipated.  Nobody noticed, as far as I could tell.  I was wearing a pair of black Dickies pants so plenty of room around the cuff of the pants and I don't think I printed that anyone would see.  I went for outside of my right ankle as I am right handed.  I didn't tell my wife I was carrying and she didn't notice . . .
View Quote

Move that holster to the inside of your left leg. Hope you have a good holster. I use a Galco Ankle Glove with a airweight J-frame. It's not bad at all. It's certainly not the most accessible way to carry a gun but at least you have a gun with you. It's actually quite easy to get to if you're seated (restaurants, cars, desk, etc.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top