Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/17/2016 6:56:01 AM EDT
Howdy folks, I'm hoping you can help!

I am a thin framed woman and I carry a Glock 42 with an attacked flashlight/laser accessory (streamlite TLR-6). I also have an extended magazine, mostly just for the pinky grip. Even with all the accessories, it's still not a big gun, but I am having the WORST time concealing it! I feel like I've tried every kind of holster to no avail. The only true concealment I can get at this point is a bulldog thigh holster under my church dresses, but I don't want to always have to wear dresses in order to conceal!

Does anyone else out there have this problem? Does anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 7:03:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you tried appendix carry and a looser fitting shirt that will hang loose from you body below your chest?
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 7:05:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Taurus 605 PROTECTOR Hammerless  357 Mag
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 7:15:24 AM EDT
[#3]
A little more info would help. Which positions are you currently trying to carry in? What belt and holster are you currently using? What is your current manner of dress and how are you printing?
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 8:25:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Uhh... no.

OP, try dressing around the gun. A good belt and a good holster make a world of difference, but if you don't dress around the gun, those items won't matter.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 8:26:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Currently I am appendix carrying with a simple leather holster I picked up at Academy, but if I use this holster I can't use my TRL-6. I'm typically a jeans and tshirt kind of girl, but you can still see the outline of the handle. I've also tried wearing more baggy clothes, but that too seems to be a dead giveaway that I'm trying to conceal something. In the past I have tried carrying at my hip, carrying in various bra holsters (my boobs are tiny so this doesn't work), and carrying at the back of my waistband. I recently ordered a Glock pocket clip and I'm hoping this solves SOME issues.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 8:38:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Tagging for my wife.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 8:49:16 AM EDT
[#7]
How do you carry currently? iwb or owb?

Are you having issues with it bulging or when you wear short shirts that don't cover your waist?
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 8:55:47 AM EDT
[#8]
if you occasionally dress in cargo shorts...a lot slower, but I have a very low perception of threat... I use a Recluse two side cargo model designed for cargo shorts if you typically wear them...slit front allows access to the grip and still hides the outline...

the perception that others will know you are carrying is common when you are new to concealed carry... most people don't have a clue... with the shall issue provision in Florida, you are not alone with a tell tale bulge, that most mistake for a cell phone case
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:00:48 AM EDT
[#9]
First, be sure you aren't over-thinking this.  If you're new to concealed carry, you will probably be a little too self-conscious for awhile.  Trust a friends opinion over what you see in the mirror.  And that TLR limits your options, so if it's the laser you value, consider something less bulky like a Crimson Trace.  And of course, practice a lot.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:04:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
First, be sure you aren't over-thinking this.  If you're new to concealed carry, you will probably be a little too self-conscious for awhile.
View Quote

This is true. Welcome to the site

Also, you'll find some good info in this section:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_1/71_Women_Shooters.html
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:12:13 AM EDT
[#11]
My wife used a Crossbreed MiniTuck for her LCP but lamented the requirement to wear pants with a belt.  A female friend found a canvas (or at least a heavy cotton, not sure which) fabric holster on Etsy that worked well under jeans, skirts, etc.  Similar in concept to a belly band - no kydex.

Good luck, stay safe!
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:20:50 AM EDT
[#12]
T-Shirt / Jeans = not conducive to carry.

Baggy clothes do not necessarily make you conspicuous.  You have to compromise SOMEWHERE.

I pocket carry a Sig P938.  It's thinner than the G42 (and my Ruger LCR, and my LC380 (which I sold when I found the Sig,) and it's very comfortable to shoot.  My friend's Bodyguard in .380 is 'snappier' than my 9mm.

I'm a little 'chunky' for IWB, and I don't trust OWB without some sort of covering garment, like a jacket.  Pocket carry is the way to go.

I'm willing to give up the light and the laser.  Most SD scenarios happen at close distances, and a good set of night sights is what I'll rely on.  Would I like to have a rally small light (say, the size of a Crimson Trace...)?  Absolutely.  Much staying concealed is more important to me.

My two cents.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:27:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Currently I am appendix carrying with a simple leather holster I picked up at Academy, but if I use this holster I can't use my TRL-6. I'm typically a jeans and tshirt kind of girl, but you can still see the outline of the handle. I've also tried wearing more baggy clothes, but that too seems to be a dead giveaway that I'm trying to conceal something. In the past I have tried carrying at my hip, carrying in various bra holsters (my boobs are tiny so this doesn't work), and carrying at the back of my waistband. I recently ordered a Glock pocket clip and I'm hoping this solves SOME issues.
View Quote

Are you talking about one of those bolt on clips that run along the side od the frame? Like this.

DO NOT CARRY your glock without a proper holster that fully covers the trigger. Carrying with the trigger exposed is asking to ND with that style a pistol.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:29:04 AM EDT
[#14]
First, thank you all so much for responding to me and helping me out!

I still am very new to CC so perhaps you guys are right in my being super self conscious. I just don't want to have to dress like a guy in order to be safe. When I get my Glock holster-pin (hopefully in a few more days), I'll let y'all know how it works.

Ladies (and gentlemen who have a woman in their life that carries), what are your favorite holsters/holster styles?

(Please don't recommend any other firearms, my Glock is my baby and he is all I need in my life ??)
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:30:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Yes! But the pin clip is to clip it INTO a fabric holster that covers the trigger. I don't want the trigger exposed. I just thought the pin clip would make it less bulky.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:38:00 AM EDT
[#16]
My lady has had the best results carrying in a cross draw rig. She's a righty, so that's at about 10-11:00 position for her. Ditching the mag extension may or may not help too.

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:41:10 AM EDT
[#17]
I carry at 12 o'clock in a belly band. I sold my m&p shield because it's just not concealable for me in summer wear and if I'm in a sweater, I can carry the G19.

I can only reliably conceal a Keltec P3AT in jeans and a t-shirt or a dress.

Also, push up bras help push your shirt out and make it tent over your gun, hiding it better.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:44:44 AM EDT
[#18]
most people are oblivious of people printing. I don't know if it's because of so many people here in Florida carry or just we are so used to phones in pockets or on belts, I don't really know. I carry a Sig P229 Elite with the threaded barrel on it so it's a little longer and the beavertail on the Elite is more pronounced and I have only been made a few times and I carry everyday since 87. If you are a woman just carry in your purse, that is where my wife carries her .357 S&W  
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:45:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
First, thank you all so much for responding to me and helping me out!

I still am very new to CC so perhaps you guys are right in my being super self conscious. I just don't want to have to dress like a guy in order to be safe. When I get my Glock holster-pin (hopefully in a few more days), I'll let y'all know how it works.

Ladies (and gentlemen who have a woman in their life that carries), what are your favorite holsters/holster styles?

(Please don't recommend any other firearms, my Glock is my baby and he is all I need in my life ??)
View Quote

The Keltec you can carry beats the Glock you can't. At least try ditching the accessories. Or wear a winter coat in July so you can carry "your baby".

I find I make better choices when I do what works, rather than what triggers my emotions. But it's your guns, your wardrobe and your life.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:46:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
most people are oblivious of people printing. I don't know if it's because of so many people here in Florida carry or just we are so used to phones in pockets or on belts, I don't really know. I carry a Sig P229 Elite with the threaded barrel on it so it's a little longer and the beavertail on the Elite is more pronounced and I have only been made a few times and I carry everyday since 87. If you are a woman just carry in your purse, that is where my wife carries her .357 S&W  
View Quote

Purse carry is a horrible idea. For so many reasons.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:47:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

It beats not carrying I guess, but yeah...
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:48:05 AM EDT
[#22]
I carry a G19 on my 5 o'clock position with a IWB Multi Holster. I'm 5'8" and 110lb. If I don't tell people I'm carrying, no body will notice that I am. Like others said, don't over think it, when you wear tighter clothes it will print a little that's for sure, but don't worry about it. Nobody is focused on/around your hip unless you are!. At the beginning, I used be very self conscious about it, touching my clothes, making sure it's covered, it's not printing. As you get use to it, It becomes a part of the clothes you wear, I sometimes have to touch it to make sure It's there, cuz I'm so comfortable with it that I sometimes forget it's there, lol.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 9:57:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does it really? Women don't control access to their purses well. Every woman's turned around to find a friend's two year old opening her compact, or shaking her keys. Fuck purse carry. If it's not important enough to carry on your person, then don't fucking bother because you're not serious about guns anyway. It's not a fucking lipstick, it doesn't go in your purse.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 10:02:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Hey come on now. I did a lot of research before investing in my Glock. My selection process took 5 months worth of research, YouTube video, reading reviews and magazine articles, and shooting a plethora of guns. I settled on the Glock because of its durability and longevity. I want the comfort that, God forbid, I ever actually need my gun, I don't want it jamming or misfiring. Glocks are very hardy and my 42 is an incredible shot, not wild or pushy. I handle my gun instead of my gun handling me. Most importantly, MY gun works best for ME. That doesn't mean you have to shoot the same thing, nor does it mean that you would feel as comfortable with it.

It's better to carry a predictable firearm you can trust and one that you feel comfortable shooting. For me, this is my Glock. For you, it might be your Keltec. I pray it never lets you down when you need it (no sarcasm).

Happy shooting!
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 10:02:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Does it really? Women don't control access to their purses well. Every woman's turned around to find a friend's two year old opening her compact, or shaking her keys. Fuck purse carry. If it's not important enough to carry on your person, then don't fucking bother because you're not serious about guns anyway. It's not a fucking lipstick, it doesn't go in your purse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's all true, but I might try to steer someone that wants to carry but wouldn't carry on their person towards a CCW purse that you carry cross-body, so it's not easy to snatch.
No, Tory and MK don't make carry purses, and the women that value fashion over protection, as you said, probably don't have the right mindset for carry anyway.

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 10:03:43 AM EDT
[#26]
I also think purse carry is a horrible idea. It's too vulnerable. If it's not on your body, there's no way to be in complete control of it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 10:09:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Here is the problem for one.  Look into a better holster look at something made of Kydex.  Second it sounds like you are new to carrying so I am going to let you in on something that is going to change your life.... Stop worrying about printing or a little tell showing.  Most people around you are to involved with what is happening on Facespace or Snapgram or texting lol omg to their kitty kat.  

Lots of great choices exist for a holster but you should look into one that has clips that will push the firearm into you.  Like my G-Code INCOG the clips cant out so it pushes the firearm up against me.  Also look into a carry belt that has adjustable tensioning and that is stiff it will help the firearm to stay put in the same spot also increasing comfort.  I have an Ares Gear Aegis belt yes yes I know this may not be for you but female friendly equipment does exist.  I know I am not an expert on female friendly equipment but groups do exist on Facebook that are for women who carry.

Lastly good on you for taking the empowerment to carry and determine your life!  

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 10:16:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Hey come on now. I did a lot of research before investing in my Glock. My selection process took 5 months worth of research, YouTube video, reading reviews and magazine articles, and shooting a plethora of guns. I settled on the Glock because of its durability and longevity. I want the comfort that, God forbid, I ever actually need my gun, I don't want it jamming or misfiring. Glocks are very hardy and my 42 is an incredible shot, not wild or pushy. I handle my gun instead of my gun handling me. Most importantly, MY gun works best for ME. That doesn't mean you have to shoot the same thing, nor does it mean that you would feel as comfortable with it.

It's better to carry a predictable firearm you can trust and one that you feel comfortable shooting. For me, this is my Glock. For you, it might be your Keltec. I pray it never lets you down when you need it (no sarcasm).

Happy shooting!
View Quote

You're not understanding what I'm saying. I love my glock. It's my favorite gun. My Keltec has a shitty trigger and I don't enjoy it at all.

How much research you put in is irrelevant. If you're willing to dress around your gun, by all means, carry it. It's better than my gun, no argument here.

But if you can't, then carrying a mouse gun is better than none at all. It's up to you. Big sweaters and a great gun or t shirts and an ok gun. But you're unlikely to magically start concealing your setup just by finding 'a better holster'.

Do what you want.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 10:18:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That's all true, but I might try to steer someone that wants to carry but wouldn't carry on their person towards a CCW purse that you carry cross-body, so it's not easy to snatch.
No, Tory and MK don't make carry purses, and the women that value fashion over protection, as you said, probably don't have the right mindset for carry anyway.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Women won't consistently carry that purse cross body. It's bullshit. They don't know they're lying when they say it, but they're not going to maintain control of the purse or drill to where they can pull the gun in time.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 10:21:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Do what you want.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 10:24:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Try this, but lower on your hips than she's got it. Gun dead center, muzzle so low it's printing like a little dick. Belly bands smooth the contours of the gun and make it look like you're just a little fatter, whereas holsters add bulks and make a little lump. Go bigger on the band than you think you need, because your hips are bigger than your waist. Mine is from Galco, you can try them on at the gun store. They may have a blue gun to lend you while you try.

Oh, and cut off that top strap, you don't need it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 10:28:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Try this, but lower on your hips than she's got it. Gun dead center, muzzle so low it's printing like a little dick. Belly bands smooth the contours of the gun and make it look like you're just a little fatter, whereas holsters add bulks and make a little lump. Go bigger on the band than you think you need, because your hips are bigger than your waist. Mine is from Galco, you can try them on at the gun store. They may have a blue gun to lend you while you try.

https://img0.etsystatic.com/107/0/9394392/il_340x270.883035532_id29.jpg

Oh, and cut off that top strap, you don't need it.
View Quote

I have a belly band the Pistol Wear PT-2.  I use it when I ride my bike with a Walther PPS and they also make a smaller version as well.  Belly bands work well because I am normally wearing gym shorts and a semi loose/fitted shirt.  I am 6'1" 145# so I am a slender guy and it disappears on me.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 10:36:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's ok as long as you realize that the moment a firearm is in it is no longer a purse but a holster and treat it as such.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 10:41:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It's ok as long as you realize that the moment a firearm is in it is no longer a purse but a holster and treat it as such.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't trust a single woman in the world to do that. And it's still not a holster. Purses are on the ends of straps. They go all twisty when you're fighting off a bad guy. Get a buddy, a blue gun and a maxpedition man purse. Take video. Report back.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 10:44:21 AM EDT
[#36]
You have done your homework on your gun choice for sure.  The holster for it is not as easy, nearly all of us who have been carrying for a while have a box of holsters for a reason.   Some times you just have to go thru several till you land on one that just works for you.

I do like Snows idea of the belly band(and the push up bra).   Seriously,  I can get away with a 1911 IWB covered by a t shirt, but only because my chest is bigger than my belly.   I bet you can find the right combo of holster/t shirt/short sleeve shirt that will conceal the glock and light .
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 11:03:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Happy shooting!
View Quote

Well except for the .380, I have no issues with Glock.  I've trusted one for six years.  They are unbeatable for reliability.  I get along great with a Comp-Tac Minotaur holster.  Check one out, it might be the ticket for you too.  But like I said before, practice!  A lot!  You need to know how to access the gun from seated, standing and laying down, and how to orient to your left and right, how to move your hands and feet, etc.  If you haven't already, look into professional instruction from a reputable source.  This is a very serious undertaking.   I apologize if this sounds like I'm talking down to you, that is not my intent.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 11:04:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

This or an 85.  Smooth grips. Easy to conceal.  

Square guns with extra crap on them?  Not as easy.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 11:23:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I am a thin framed woman and I carry a Glock 42 with an attacked flashlight/laser accessory (streamlite TLR-6). I also have an extended magazine, mostly just for the pinky grip. Even with all the accessories, it's still not a big gun, but I am having the WORST time concealing it! I feel like I've tried every kind of holster to no avail. The only true concealment I can get at this point is a bulldog thigh holster under my church dresses, but I don't want to always have to wear dresses in order to conceal!

Does anyone else out there have this problem? Does anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks in advance!
View Quote

And another thing: lose the laser. Use your sights, don't chase a dot, you're not a cat.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 11:38:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Ruiz,

My wife just started carrying her Glock 42/TLR-6 in a purse...her choice.

We just ordered her a Sticky Holster and a couple of Sticky mag pouches to try out.

Sticky Holster

And to Snow, we'll have to check out the belly bands. A to "chasing the dot", my wife prefers leaving the laser off and just uses the light. While I wish my wife chose the Glock 43 9mm, she liked the 42 better. Her carry ammo is Speer Gold Dot 90 grain hollow points.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 12:22:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Take fashion clues from FHRC. If she can conceal a piss bag, back brace and body armor under those repurposed drapes that she is wearing then you ought to be able to hide a G42 under there.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 12:27:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Have you checked out Falia?

http://www.faliaphotography.com/p/more-photos-my-bug-out-bag-guns-etc.html

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 12:44:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

And another thing: lose the laser. Use your sights, don't chase a dot, you're not a cat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks in advance!

Rabbits like lasers too.

But seriously, lose the TLR-6, it makes an already bulky gun even bulkier, which increases the compromises you have to make to conceal it.  Carrying concealed is all about compromises, you just have to decide what you are going to compromise on.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 12:55:18 PM EDT
[#44]
finally got photobucket to load... if your jeans are loose enough to get a hand in the front pocket... Recluse makes a version that is tapered to fit the cut of the pocket, and still gives access to the pistol due to the cut, while help to prevent printing... this version has the foot that stabilizes it in cargo pockets..

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 12:59:35 PM EDT
[#45]
I print w/ my Glock 23 and don't worry about it.  The Kel Tec SUB-2000 rides in my murse.

Carry the little gun on you, carry a bigger gun w/ lights, lasers, bipod, RDS, night vision, bayonet, etc, in the purse.  Use the advantage of your gender - you can pack an Uzi in that thing.  If someone is stupid enough to grab the purse, shoot him w/ the little gun.  He doesn't know there's a gun in it.

Carry it w/ a thick cross strap, and the likelihood is he'll switch to an easier target that he doesn't have to wrestle w/ to get it away.

No one says you can only carry one gun.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 1:02:36 PM EDT
[#46]
If your legally conceal carrying I wouldn't even worry about printing
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 1:03:25 PM EDT
[#47]
I carry a G43 in one of these in the summer.

It comes with cord that you run through the eyeholes on the holster and can loop around a belt, belt loop, etc.  I also use the NPE 2 when I carry the G43 deeply concealed in a Thunderwear/Smart Carry style holster.

http://www.onesourcetactical.com/the-npe-holster-2-1.aspx#.WAUDYMu7rcs
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 1:24:57 PM EDT
[#48]
As a man I can't believe I'm gonna say this but stop wearing yoga pants.

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 1:29:44 PM EDT
[#49]
I forgot to say that the Trijicon HD's

Are great sights for the Glock 42
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 1:29:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Ex used to carry an XDM in a pair of under tech shorts and could not print in anything from jeans and a T-shirt, to sun dresses.

Apparently they do leggings now as well.

Either way, things work good and... well... if you're concerned about it look good.

Gal I knew was pushing 5'10" and about 110-120 lbs, so pretty thin framed herself.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top