Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2016 2:30:30 PM EDT
Would night sights be useful on a pistol that already has a flashlight on it? Trying to decide if I should spring for the model that has the night sights if I intend to carry it with a light mounted. It seems like the light would put off enough light to make the night sights unnecessary but I don't have much experience with pistol lights. Is this a place where spending the extra $80 for night sights is worth it in your experience?

Link Posted: 10/2/2016 3:08:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not a light fan, but wouldn't the night sights help with picking up the proper sight picture as the light won't illuminate the sights?
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 3:19:49 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm not a light fan, but wouldn't the night sights help with picking up the proper sight picture as the light won't illuminate the sights?
View Quote
Yeah I suppose it depends on if you are indoors or outdoors. Never really used a pistol mounted light yet so I don't know how much of the light (if any) escapes back towards the user and if it adequate to get a sight picture. I just wonder if the light is so bright that it "blows out" the tritium glow, if that makes any sense.

Link Posted: 10/2/2016 3:23:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Nights sights help you see your sights.

A light helps you see your target.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 4:00:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes this. Although I notice that a light on my AR helps to see the sights even if it just silhouettes them since they themselves are not luminescent. I like night sights but from my experience shooting in the dark I can say that they only work for me for one shot. After that the muzzle flash blows it all out of the water.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 4:04:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Both

night sights are great for low light where you can positively id your target but cant see your sights very well.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 4:55:39 PM EDT
[#6]
It depends on the sights. If you can see light on either side of your front sight night sights are not necessary.  For me I carry a G19 with a light and warren tactical sights, blacked out rear and fiber front. I can't see the fiber when shooting at night with the weapon light. But I have space on either side of the front sight so I can line up the sights with no issue. Tritium on the front may help you line up the sights faster but the fiber works well enough for me.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 5:37:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I have night sights and lights on three pistols.  Those are my home pistols.  My EDC just has night sights.

Having said that, both are good to haves, one or the other is a necessity to have.  Lights break, batteries go bad, or you're not where you can grab one with a light when you need it.

I know folks who say they don't need a light because they have night sights.  Some say a light is bad because it gives your position away.  I know some who say that night sights alone are just crazey because if it's too dark to see the standard sights you can't be sure what you're shooting at.

Well, if someone is shooting at you, do you need to ID their face?  Or do you just need to be able to put your night sights on their torso?  Sometimes you may get enough light from another source to identify a threat, but still not enough light to line up those sights - unless you can see them.

The light does make it nice, to identify stuff when you don't have any other way of seeing what's there.  You can use the momentary on/off lever/setting so it goes off quick if you need it to go off as you un-ass the spot you where in when you hit the light and saw a reason to duck/dodge.

Link Posted: 10/2/2016 6:48:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Night sights allow you to engage a positively identified target from darkness.  Example:  you are in a dark room connected to a dimly lit hallway.  If you have a safe angle of fire and know where potential good guys are, night sights allow you to fire into the hallway upon an identified threat without activating your light.

Weapon mounted lights allow you to positively identify your target.  They also can provide an outline to your sights, but only while the light is activated.

An example of using both might this:  It's 2:30am.  After hearing glass break down the hall, you use your weapon mounted light to illuminate an unknown person in your dimly-lit home, positively identifying them as an armed intruder.  Good tactics dictate that after your light was activated, you move position.  As long as you have a safe background to your target, you can fire from the darkness as you move positions, or begin firing immediately once you have reached a position of cover/concealment.  

Tritium sights give you more options for how to handle the illuminate/move/shoot situation, but they don't force you to take any specific response.  I employ both night sights and a weapon mounted light on my concealed carry/ HD pistol.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 8:53:45 PM EDT
[#9]
For HD, I'll take a weapon light over night sights any day of the week.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 9:57:29 PM EDT
[#10]
You shouldn't be shooting at anything you can't identify. Night sights don't help you ID anything or anyone.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 7:42:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I like to have both, the illuminated tritium dots are still visible in your peripheral vision when focusing on the target and aid in sight alignment.

For me night sights are a must on all carry guns regardless if a light is mounted or not, but opinions on the matter vary.

Also, if you are using a WML correctly when clearing rooms, you will be spending quite a bit of time moving with the light off.

Link Posted: 10/4/2016 9:53:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You shouldn't be shooting at anything you can't identify. Night sights don't help you ID anything or anyone.
View Quote

That is only how fathers shoot their sons in the middle of the night when the son is sneaking back in after partying it up all night.

Know the rules..... Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.  You cannot do that if you cannot see it and darkness is everywhere.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 10:40:21 AM EDT
[#13]
White light > Night sights.

Whether a hand-held or weapon mounted light, it's my opinion that a good white light is an absolute must. As others have said, you need to id the target. It's just plain irresponsible to shoot into darkness without knowing your target and what's beyond it.

As for night-sights: I found them to be of no benefit whatsoever in my course. When using a light,  the tritium glow was invisible. In low-light drills if it was light enough to i.d. the threat it was light enough to pick-up your front sight. And considering in most self-defensive shootings the sights aren't even used I say they're not at all necessary.

But I do like the night-sights when I look over at my pistol on the night stand and see them glowing brightly. They could be of help in that regard, to locate your gun in the dark.

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 11:23:00 AM EDT
[#14]
The weapon-mounted light will make the sights perfectly visible.  

In any case, none of that stuff is necessary if you take a little bit of effort and make it so you can see inside your house at night.  Set up motion-activated night lights.  If you are worried about a home invader cutting the power before coming in there are even battery-powered lights you can have.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 4:02:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I use both. I wanna see my target,  maybe blind my target. It will certainly allow a sight picture. If the light fails then the glowing dots are better then standard sights in the dark. But id pic a light as a first priority over glowing dots but thats just my preference.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 2:47:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I like to have both, the illuminated tritium dots are still visible in your peripheral vision when focusing on the target and aid in sight alignment.

For me night sights are a must on all carry guns regardless if a light is mounted or not, but opinions on the matter vary.

Also, if you are using a WML correctly when clearing rooms, you will be spending quite a bit of time moving with the light off.

View Quote

^ I think this is well said. My daily ccw piece as well as my HD handgun both wear trijicon HDs and a X300U for these reasons.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 4:34:02 AM EDT
[#17]
I prefer both. If I could absolutely only afford one, then I would choose a WML. But I'll take any advantage I can get. Ideally night sights, a WML, and a hand held are what I try to carry at all times.

80 bucks for night sights is less than I spend a month on ammo so to me that's a no brainer. I would like to be prepared for as many situations as reasonably possible.

Either way, train with what you've got and save up until you can afford what you want. With enough practice you'll know what you need. I've ran a night course with a handgun with and without night sights. Definitely better with night sights.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:01:01 AM EDT
[#18]
For the cost vs usefulness, get the night sights.

In almost every low light situation a white light will be more advantageous.  The white light will allow you to ID threat, develop sight picture, and (depending on lumens/environment) dominate the threats vision and ability to react.

Night sights are the most useful when there is enough ambient light to ID threat, but not enough to develop a sight picture.  IF its truly "DARK", then you need a light anyway.   Stereotypical Example: Guy approaches you in a dim parking lot at night with a crowbar wearing dark clothes. Night sights would allow you to develop a sight picture without employing a light.  If you are running a handheld, this could save you some time to engagement, with a WML not much.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 1:12:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I prefer both. If I could absolutely only afford one, then I would choose a WML. But I'll take any advantage I can get. Ideally night sights, a WML, and a hand held are what I try to carry at all times.
View Quote

I agree with this.  OP, of your indicated options, I'd say WML too. But if I could only afford one of the 3 options, I'd vote handheld as your first option.  Reason being is that even with a WML your handheld should still be your primary.  It's your goto light source for target identification and searching that shouldn't be done with the muzzle of your gun, ie your WML.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 1:41:31 PM EDT
[#20]
They are not redundant, and if you can afford to have both, get both.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 2:13:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

This, one is not a replacement for the other.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 10:53:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Every advantage is just that an advantage.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 11:43:17 PM EDT
[#23]
No, they are both pieces of the same puzzle.  Night sights allow you to aim, the flashlight allows you to identify what you are aiming at.  If you are indoors you might get enough spill to illuminate your sights, but you cannot count on that, and more importantly, if you can light something up with a light, they can see you too...
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 6:23:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
^^ This!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 8:40:44 AM EDT
[#25]
This has been discussed ad nauseum.

A WML lights up your target, not your sights. Get the night sights.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1722231__ARCHIVED_THREAD____Night_sights_are_pointless_.html&page=1

Link Posted: 10/11/2016 9:07:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This has been discussed ad nauseum.

A WML lights up your target, not your sights. Get the night sights.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1722231__ARCHIVED_THREAD____Night_sights_are_pointless_.html&page=1
View Quote

...And the light. If you can't see what you are shooting at then you have no business pulling the trigger.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 1:56:00 AM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 10/15/2016 8:56:35 AM EDT
[#28]

But, But...

Night Sights are useless with a WML...

Hence why I like BOTH

Link Posted: 10/15/2016 1:41:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 2:09:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

A light is also a mechanical device....mechanical devices will fail at some point.  

two is one...
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 4:24:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

A light is also a mechanical device....mechanical devices will fail at some point.  

two is one...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

two is one...

So he'd need a second light. Or a light switch
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 4:25:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Would night sights be useful on a pistol that already has a flashlight on it? Trying to decide if I should spring for the model that has the night sights if I intend to carry it with a light mounted. It seems like the light would put off enough light to make the night sights unnecessary but I don't have much experience with pistol lights. Is this a place where spending the extra $80 for night sights is worth it in your experience?  
View Quote

IMO yes 100%. If you've ever had your gun out at night with a light or not and needed to use you would understand that night sights are important.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 4:18:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly! Because of that reason alone, night sights and a weapon mounted light are not redundant. I also carry a flash light because not every situation in the dark justifies the un-holstering of your weapon. However, in those situations that do justify having the weapon at low ready, a weapon mounted light is a great advantage to have (in spite of those who ignorantly think that you have to point your weapon's muzzle at whatever your are wanting to illuminate; you don't, you keep the muzzle pointed 45 degree angle toward the ground and the light will illuminate a large area).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top