Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/24/2016 2:09:29 PM EDT
A frequent topic of discussion on this board. I ran across this video today and thought it had a lot of good information/advice presented in a concise way.

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 4:13:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Good video.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 4:18:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice vid.  Chris is a good dude and a shooter; met him at a course earlier this year.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 5:18:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I wish I could AIWB carry I really want it to work but it is super painful for me because of prior injuries.  I have tried several holsters designed for it and cannot do it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:48:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wish I could AIWB carry I really want it to work but it is super painful for me because of prior injuries.  I have tried several holsters designed for it and cannot do it.
View Quote

It's not for everyone. Medical issues complicate life.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:52:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Good advice.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:16:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Good video. I love AIWB carry if I can't carry OWB. I carry OWB mainly outside of work, when I don't give a fuck if I print, shirt hangs up, whatever. AIWB at work, because everyone I work with hates guns and are raging liberals who would probably shit their pants if they found out I had a gun every fucking day. They have no problem with whatever knife I carry though.

Even bought one of my high school employees a Kershaw Leek, and one employee was going off about switchblades because it's assisted opening, so now I carry an automatic knife just to prove there's nothing bad about them. Shockingly, they all have come around to seeing knives as tools the way I do, and not weapons.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 6:17:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I had to watch this video twice. Great articulation and representation of thoughts. The calm yet friendly tone stayed the same, there was no my way or the highway, no edginess, no anger, no ridicule, and no shock value at all.

We need more of this and less trying to undermine other people's experienced or inexperienced opinions. That's not a discussion, that's just being a person trying to stir things up by targeting certain people who speak against their narrow minded beliefs.

Still not for me, I don't have the body type and I am stocky meaning a muscular endomorph with permanent nerve damage in the 6th, 5th, 4th, and 3rd lumbar. I used to be a mesomorph but after getting shot with blunt force trauma, life happens as they say.

I can easily conceal from the strong side without a jacket. But if it works for you, by all means, go for it and heed this man's advice in the video.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:23:52 AM EDT
[#8]
What pistol is he using during the reholstering portion of the video?
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:26:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What pistol is he using during the reholstering portion of the video?
View Quote
I think it's the PX4 compact.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:19:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Great video. Agree with everything in it.

I went through every major manufacturer to see what worked for me. A lot of money spent, but I can look at an appendix holster now and gave a good idea if it will work for me.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 9:50:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell me about it..... I have box of holsters in my gun closet that I tried trying to find a holster that was comfortable to carry IWB.  I love that we have so many options.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:10:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Been carrying at 12:00 since '04 in a CTAC. Couldn't carry any other way.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 3:25:22 AM EDT
[#13]
I inherited my dads thick legs and big booty with a small waist so 4:00 carry prints like a MF on me.  AIWB was the only way I could keep my guns concealed unless I was wearing obnoxiously long jackets.  Have to agree that regular IWB holsters are no fun and seriously pinch or crush your nuts/manhood while sitting down, but even AIWB holsters start to suck if you have to walk long distances.  

Course, now that I live in California, CCW isn't something I have to worry about anymore
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 5:18:52 AM EDT
[#14]
I've gotten so fat the last ten years that if I do that my belly pushes the grip outwards and the muzzle points right at my dick. I can't do it. I had washboard abs until I was in my about 40, and not being able to really exercise, combine with slowed down metabolism fixed that real fast.

Link Posted: 9/16/2016 3:01:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:Have to agree that regular IWB holsters are no fun and seriously pinch or crush your nuts/manhood while sitting down, but even AIWB holsters start to suck if you have to walk long distances.  
View Quote

This can be true for some people, and a lot of the times it can be cured by adjusting the holster height or possibly a different holster altogether. Its not for everybody though.

However, ive never heard anyone say that it was uncomfortable to walk long distances with an AIWB holster. That seems odd to me, as most people are fine with walking around as long as they don't have to sit for long periods of time.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 5:20:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Good video. I rarely carry appendix, but there are times when this method is the best for me. Only thing I'd add is that whatever method(s) you chose to use, practice with it and go slowly until you are confident and competent with it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 5:43:42 PM EDT
[#17]
This is how I carry - doesn't print in a t-shirt and is comfortable for the most part.  Getting past the pistol pointed at your junk was the hardest part.  

I have to admit I love that most of the year is jacket season and I can hip carry.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 7:10:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I just got an incog to try out with my G43 and so far I'm liking it. I do have the gun set to ride higher in my pants than most people I see carry AIWB, because its more comfortable this way. I also haven't got past the mental block of having a loaded gun pointed at my junk, I've been testing it out without a round in the chamber.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 7:36:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Doesn't work for me. I'm slightly overweight, (read that as FAT) and AIWB just doesn't work. 4 o'clock in a milt sparks does though. I really want to but it's just not comfortable. I guess I need to do about 10,000,000,000 sit ups.

Excellent vid, just the right tone for an instructor. He needs to be one of our major faces in the fight for our rights. I can even ignore the slightly hippsterish beard.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 12:46:24 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm fat and it works for me.I carry a CZ P-01 in a Stealth Gear AIWB and it's the most comfortable holster I have ever used.

Now having said that ,no holster that I have ever used is comfortable just varying degrees of what I can stand and for how long I can stand it.With the SG holster I can go almost all day without wanting to throw the pistol and holster out the window.

I've been carrying a pistol for over 30 years and this is as good as it gets for me.

Pocket carrying my PM9 is the best ,but not enough thrust per squeeze.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 4:50:44 PM EDT
[#21]
I've been carrying AIWB for a few months now. Using a holster purpose built for AIWB is a must. For me it is  the most comfortable mode of carry and it conceals the best. I carry in a KnightFall customs AIWB.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 11:37:05 AM EDT
[#22]
I have no doubt it would be the easiest for me to conceal, but I just don't feel safe with where the handgun is pointing.  I know they don't go off unless you pull the trigger, but it's just ingrained in me not to point a loaded gun at myself.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 2:25:11 AM EDT
[#23]
You need to watch the video.  If you're pointing it at yourself, you're doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 11:54:18 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm not talking about drawing or reholstering, I mean when I'm sitting down, the muzzle it pointed at sensitive flesh.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 2:06:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm not talking about drawing or reholstering, I mean when I'm sitting down, the muzzle it pointed at sensitive flesh.
View Quote

So it's just going to go off?
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 2:31:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reread my first post.

I know it's not going to just go off, but I wouldn't point my loaded gun at my dog, a friend, or the side of my head knowing it's not just going to go off :)  I'm not bashing others who use AIWB, I just stated that I don't don't feel comfortable with it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 3:01:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 3:04:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.  That's the Left's argument: guns have a mind of their own and operate indiscriminately without their owner's consent and therefore are too dangerous for anyone other than a "professional" to own.  After all, "professionals" are parallel to God and never fuck up.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 3:11:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Exactly.  That's the Left's argument: guns have a mind of their own and operate indiscriminately without their owner's consent and therefore are too dangerous for anyone other than a "professional" to own.  After all, "professionals" are parallel to God and never fuck up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's just going to be a hangup for some people, myself included.
Nothing is 100%, accidents DO happen, but to each his own.   I would just rather put it into the seat than my junk or femoral artery if I win (lose) that lottery.
If I'm handling a loaded gun, such as removing my holstered CCW at night, I still don't point it at anything that's alive in the process, better safe than sorry.  Tell me I'm stupid for thinking that way, please.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:39:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Reread my first post.

I know it's not going to just go off, but I wouldn't point my loaded gun at my dog, a friend, or the side of my head knowing it's not just going to go off :)  I'm not bashing others who use AIWB, I just stated that I don't don't feel comfortable with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reread my first post.

I actually understand the concern about un/reholstering. I dont really understand the concern about a holstered gun. How do you carry while walking on the second story of a building?

Link Posted: 10/10/2016 9:52:54 PM EDT
[#31]
I have done a TON of draw-practice, and for me, the time it takes to rack the slide is utterly negligible, so I carry empty chamber.  My draw times are within .1 sec of each other when they are both smooth, and I actually won against the timer when I fumbled my draw about half of the time.  I have a bit of a gut, so appendix is only a quickie carry for me, when I am not carrying, and just want to throw a gun in the pocket kind of situations, but it is faster fro me than Strong side IWB, mostly due to less fumbling with clothing.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 10:22:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well one of the basic tenets of safe gun handling is never to point a gun at anything you do not wish to destroy sooooo.....Yeah, I'm just not comfortable with it either. At 3:00, I can tote a pistol very comfortably, totally hidden and never have to point it at myself at any point during the process-

But do what you like. You do you, and I'll do me and I'm okay with that.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 7:04:51 AM EDT
[#33]
I only carry AIWB....the guy in the vid above pretty much nailed it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 9:11:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Well one of the basic tenets of safe gun handling is never to point a gun at anything you do not wish to destroy sooooo.....Yeah, I'm just not comfortable with it either. At 3:00, I can tote a pistol very comfortably, totally hidden and never have to point it at myself at any point during the process-

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you carry while walking on the second story of a building when there are people below you?
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 9:31:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

How do you carry while walking on the second story of a building when there are people below you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Around here we don't have all that many 2-story buildings, at least not ones I need to visit often

Plus you're sweeping air most of the time in that case, whereas with appendix carry, you're pretty much guaranteed a severe injury to yourself in the very unlikely event of an AD.

Only type of holstered carry that freaks me out more is those CCW bras where the gun hangs below in the center and the muzzle is pointed up at the woman's chin...
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 10:29:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Right, posting that link won't stir the pot. Nope, not one bit.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 10:48:05 AM EDT
[#38]
I carry AIWB. Have for years. I'm fine holstering and doing administrative things with it, but that took time to get comfortable with.

If you don't want to, don't.

It's not a good carry for accident prone or people who don't think quickly.

Link Posted: 10/11/2016 10:48:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

I just walk around temple indexing all day.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 11:49:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Actually that just reinforces what myself and everyone else here who appendix carries have been saying since the beginning
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 1:06:24 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I have done a TON of draw-practice, and for me, the time it takes to rack the slide is utterly negligible, so I carry empty chamber.  My draw times are within .1 sec of each other when they are both smooth, and I actually won against the timer when I fumbled my draw about half of the time.  I have a bit of a gut, so appendix is only a quickie carry for me, when I am not carrying, and just want to throw a gun in the pocket kind of situations, but it is faster fro me than Strong side IWB, mostly due to less fumbling with clothing.
View Quote

Are you saying that your draw from appendix + charging your gun = roughly the same time as your strong-side loaded draw?
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 1:40:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Are you saying that your draw from appendix + charging your gun = roughly the same time as your strong-side loaded draw?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also, how do you plan to charge your pistol if your support hand is occupied or injured? I know how to rack the slide off my belt, holster or other objects but trying to do that while fending off someone is basically impossible.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 3:11:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Also, how do you plan to charge your pistol if your support hand is occupied or injured? I know how to rack the slide off my belt, holster or other objects but trying to do that while fending off someone is basically impossible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hes gonna rack that slide right off the bad guy's face
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 5:26:44 AM EDT
[#44]
AIWB doesnt work for me but I can see the allure for those it does work for. Its fast as hell being the main advantage.

What gives me the willies is seeing "instructors" teaching it with the whole focus being on speed. So many times I see newer shooters running a 19 from AIWB trying to go fast because thats what their youtube god told them. The worst part is they invariably start reholstering fast at the end of whatever 3 yard drill they are doing so they can get back to trying to get that .8 from concealment. Its like watching a toddler walk across a highway.

AIWB carry itself is not to blame for that of course. Its just a technique but I think thats where some of the push back comes from. People who have been carrying/around guns for decades and have seen accidents happen watch some college kid sticking a 19 in his junk at warp speed and just get skeezed out by it. Its not the techniques fault some people are stupid but it will take the flak for it once in awhile.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 8:37:29 AM EDT
[#45]

I will agree striker fired guns coupled with appendix carry is not quite as forgiving if one is negligent; however it certainly is not the only way to get yourself hurt with a handgun. Whatever you are doing you need to pay attention! For me - personally - I prefer strongside with a gun that has a hammer.

Link Posted: 10/12/2016 11:53:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I will agree striker fired guns coupled with appendix carry is not quite as forgiving if one is negligent; however it certainly is not the only way to get yourself hurt with a handgun. Whatever you are doing you need to pay attention! For me - personally - I prefer strongside with a gun that has a hammer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's me, strongside carry of a gun with a hammer (and a real safety preferably). If I can't get a safety then I'll take a long trigger pull like the sig 250
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 12:08:41 PM EDT
[#47]
appendix carry will not and won't ever work for me. I carry in plainclothes and in uniform.

A pistol carried up front like that would cause all sorts of problems.

I always ask people if they could successfully run an obstacle course with their pistol. Hurdles(jumping) is a bitch, going through windows and over fences is a HUGE bitch, ect. Most people won't have to do anything like that ever though.

I learned and trained to carry strong side, so that is where I'll stay. It's what works for me....probably not you.

Link Posted: 10/12/2016 12:10:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
appendix carry will not and won't ever work for me. I carry in plainclothes and in uniform.

A pistol carried up front like that would cause all sorts of problems.

I always ask people if they could successfully run an obstacle course with their pistol. Hurdles(jumping) is a bitch, going through windows and over fences is a HUGE bitch, ect. Most people won't have to do anything like that ever though.

I learned and trained to carry strong side, so that is where I'll stay. It's what works for me....probably not you.

View Quote

IMO, dudes that carry in uniform should carry their off duty gun in the same place.

Link Posted: 10/14/2016 3:46:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
What gives me the willies is seeing "instructors" teaching it with the whole focus being on speed. So many times I see newer shooters running a 19 from AIWB trying to go fast because thats what their youtube god told them. The worst part is they invariably start reholstering fast at the end of whatever 3 yard drill they are doing so they can get back to trying to get that .8 from concealment. Its like watching a toddler walk across a highway.
View Quote

I carry appendix, and I agree with the above. I really wish the whole "get your draw and first shot under a second" thing never became a thing. I get that for those people that is just another drill for them, and they need a time to see their progressions, etc. But for most people, and ESPECIALLY the people new to guns or appendix carry, the focus shouldn't be on speed AT ALL.

However, once its put on Instagram its the new standard, and unfortunately some people think they have to do everything just like the IG ballers, regardless of their own experience or skill level.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 9:22:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top