Is it a big hassle? Chances of getting
it stolen?

TSA regs seem pretty straight forward.

Input please.

Thanks!

John
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 1:05:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Last time I did it was in the fall I think.  Pretty easy.  Case for gun, retail container for ammo, lock on the suitcase.  Go to the "special services" or whatever ticket counter to have them give you the slip.  Take your case to TSA to be scanned.  (This process can change depending on airline and airport)

(Yell GUN loudly if they try to make you prove it is unloaded )
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 1:06:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I live here in FL, and just took a trip to see family in Michigan for a week. I brought my Glock 19, zero hassle both ways. You may have your bag "randomly searched" by tsa after you check it but really its no big deal. Florida airports are used to people checking guns, its really not a huge deal.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 1:10:44 PM EDT
[#3]
It's simple if you don't make a big deal out of it.

1.  Firearm has to be unloaded (duh) and in a case.  I personally don't worry about lockable cases nor lockable luggage (and neither have any of the airlines I have flown) but you could lock either both if you feel the need.  The safe thing would be prepared to lock the pistol case.

2.  Place cased firearm at the top of the/a bag you plan to check.

3.  Once at the ticket counter simply tell the agent "I have a firearm to declare."  S/he will give you an orange sign which says "UNLOADED FIREARM".  Inconspicuously open your checked bag and place the card on/near the pistol case.  You could put it inside but I never bother.

NOTE:  The ticket agent does NOT need nor want to see your firearm so don't take it out of it's case nor it's case out of your checked bag.  They don't care what it is, you don't need to prove it's unloaded, etc.  As stated:  if you don't make a big deal out of it, it won't be a big deal.

4.  Close 'em up and you're done...bag goes behind the wall and the next time you see it will be in baggage claim.

I have heard of people managing to get their bags pulled off the belt at the places where you have to hand carry your bags from the ticket counter to the checked bag drop point, but I never have.  I've have been pulled for explosive residue, but never just for firearms.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 1:22:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Go on the website of the airline you will be flying on.

They will have a section regarding their preferred method of you locking up the case and how they consider loaded magazines.  They may or may not have an issue with loaded mags.

I usually take the slide off my pistol but that is not required.

It is not a difficult process.  Note that you have to declare the firearm at the ticket counter.  This will ADD time to your travel.  

Link Posted: 8/8/2016 1:36:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I have been looking for
lockable cases. I was
thinking it should be made
of sheet metal, but if they
need to scan it, will that
work, or cause a problem?

Also, can I put the pistol
case in another piece of
luggage, or does it need
to be transported in a
separate article?

Lastly, is there any reason
that I shouldn't put one of
my 18650 powered lights
in the the gun case? I sort
of wondered if they will freak
out about a lithium battery
in my bagage.

I'll check Delta's website.

Thank again!

John
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 1:44:11 PM EDT
[#6]
For anyone else interested, here is
a copy of the handgun requirements
from Delta's website.

Shooting Equipment

Shooting equipment is allowed as checked baggage only. It must fit within the very specific criteria that we outline below.
Declare to the Delta representative that you are checking a firearm.
Declare the existence of a firearm to security personnel if there's a security checkpoint before the Delta counter.
All firearms must be declared by the passenger to a Delta representative at the main ticket counter.
Present firearm(s) unloaded and sign a "Firearms Unloaded" declaration.
Firearms must be packed in a locked manufacturer's hard-sided container specifically designed for the firearm, a locked hard–sided gun case or a locked hard-sided piece of luggage. Handguns may be packed in a locked hard-sided gun case, and then packed inside an unlocked soft-sided piece of luggage. However, a Conditional Acceptance Tag must be used in this case.
Maintain entry permits in your possession for the country or countries of destination or transit.
Ensure small arms ammunition is packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood, plastic or metal boxes and provide separation for cartridges.
You are responsible for knowledge of and compliance with all Federal, State or local laws regarding the possession and transportation of firearms. For more information about this regulation you can visit the TSA websiteopens in a new window.
If you are transporting a firearm to the United Kingdom, a permit from the United Kingdom is specifically required. You must contact the United Kingdom for more information about securing this permit.
Until further advised, passengers departing Brussels, Belgium are not allowed to check weapons including, antique, sporting, hunting or toy rifles in their checked baggage.
The following types of ammunition are not accepted:
Gun powder; such as Pyrodex or Black Powder
Ammunition with explosive or incendiary projectiles
Ammunition, including case, exceeding 11 pounds (5 kg) gross weight per passenger
Pistols and accessories must be included in one case and contain:
Pistol telescopes
Noise suppressors
A small pistol tool case
No more than 11 lbs. (5 kg) of ammunition, including case
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 1:57:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Get there earlier than normal, 2 hours is best.  If you don't they will easily make you miss your flight.  This happened to me in February.  I was at the counter 1 hour before my flight and they immediately fucked me.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 1:57:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have been looking for
lockable cases. I was

case in another piece of
luggage, or does it need
to be transported in a
separate article?

my 18650 powered lights
in my bagage.

Thank again!

John
View Quote

I have flown with both a metal case and a plastic case.  The main issue is to make sure you can lock it correctly.  They should (technically) have an issue with a lithium battery but I have flown with my Surefire lights in the past.  I usually take the opportunity to put a package of fresh batteries into the case.

You put the locked case containing the firearm into a piece of your checked luggage.  They will then hand the bag to a TSA worker who lets the X-ray dude know there is a firearm in the bag.  Sometimes they have you wait there while they do this.  Again, it adds time so calculate that into your travel plans.  They often use the opportunity to view firearms in the scanner as a learning opportunity.  I have watched my bag go through and be scanned several times by different operators.  They give you the thumbs up and off to the gate you go.

Remember your firearm has to be able to be legally possessed at both your departure and arrival location.  I have had people ask me (for instance) if they were flying out of Logan Airport in Boston if they could bring their firearm to Florida for a family vacation.  I point out that as they are NH residents (not Mass residents) then they probably don't have a Mass License to carry and that would be not so great.  By not so great I mean you gonna be raped.

Link Posted: 8/8/2016 3:20:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Here is Delta's Lithium
battery requirements, as
well.

Lithium Batteries
As you probably know, traveling with consumer electronic and medical devices containing lithium cells or batteries (e.g. watches, calculators, cameras, cell phones, laptops, camcorders, hearing aids, etc.) is allowed onboard as carry-on. Spare lithium batteries are allowed as carry-on only, and must be individually protected to prevent short circuits.
Tips to properly transport spare lithium batteries:
Pack spare batteries in carry-on baggage.
Keep spare batteries in the original retail packaging to prevent unintentional activation or short-circuiting.
If original packaging is not available, effectively insulate battery terminals by isolating spare batteries from contact with other batteries and/or metal.
Specifically, place each battery in its own protective case, plastic bag or package, or place tape across the battery's contacts to isolate terminals.
Take steps to prevent crushing, puncturing, or putting a high degree of pressure on the battery, as this can cause an internal short circuit, resulting in overheating.

Size Limits for Lithium Batteries:

Passengers are permitted to travel with lithium ion batteries that contain a maximum of 160 watt hours per battery.  Any lithium ion battery containing more than 160 watt hours is prohibited from carriage on all passenger aircraft. Lithium ion batteries installed in a personal electronic device can be transported as checked or carry on baggage. Lithium ion batteries not installed in a device (spares) must be in carry-on baggage and no more than two (2) spares between 100 and 160 watt hours are allowed.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 3:07:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Go on the website of the airline you will be flying on.

They will have a section regarding their preferred method of you locking up the case and how they consider loaded magazines.  They may or may not have an issue with loaded mags.

I usually take the slide off my pistol but that is not required.

It is not a difficult process.  Note that you have to declare the firearm at the ticket counter.  This will ADD time to your travel.  

View Quote

This.  I flew to FL in March, and didn't have any problems.  It only took me about 5 extra minutes to check in.  Same when we departed Tampa Airport.  I thought it was going to be a huge PITA but it wasn't at all.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 3:16:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

It's simple if you don't make a big deal out of it.

1.  Firearm has to be unloaded (duh) and in a case.  I personally don't worry about lockable cases nor lockable luggage (and neither have any of the airlines I have flown) but you could lock either both if you feel the need.  The safe thing would be prepared to lock the pistol case.

2.  Place cased firearm at the top of the/a bag you plan to check.

3.  Once at the ticket counter simply tell the agent "I have a firearm to declare."  S/he will give you an orange sign which says "UNLOADED FIREARM".  Inconspicuously open your checked bag and place the card on/near the pistol case.  You could put it inside but I never bother.

NOTE:  The ticket agent does NOT need nor want to see your firearm so don't take it out of it's case nor it's case out of your checked bag.  They don't care what it is, you don't need to prove it's unloaded, etc.  As stated:  if you don't make a big deal out of it, it won't be a big deal.

4.  Close 'em up and you're done...bag goes behind the wall and the next time you see it will be in baggage claim.

I have heard of people managing to get their bags pulled off the belt at the places where you have to hand carry your bags from the ticket counter to the checked bag drop point, but I never have.  I've have been pulled for explosive residue, but never just for firearms.
View Quote

I travel with my handgun pretty often.  Pretty much what he said.

A couple of things.

1.  Do yourself a favor and put a checklist in the hard case you're transporting the gun in.  I put every thing in my backpack when I arrived, and forgot the loaded spare mag in the bag when returning.  A bit of a hassle (they took me into a back room and fingerprinted me) and I lost the mag.

2.  Get to the airport earlier than usual.  You can do everything right, and still get taken to a room where they will thoroughly hand search your checked bad and your carry-on bag(s).  This took about 45 minutes the one time it happened to me.

3.  The only other wait I've experienced was having to wait at the ticket counter while they X-rayed my checked bag.  But that was only 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 3:19:09 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/9/2016 3:24:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have been looking for
lockable cases. I was

case in another piece of
luggage, or does it need
to be transported in a
separate article?

my 18650 powered lights
in my bagage.

Thank again!

John
View Quote

Pelican makes a nice one I got on Amazon . I will look at it and see what model it is.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 3:25:16 PM EDT
[#14]
My additional advise would be to place an extra lock inside your firearms luggage container.  I do this in the advent that they decide to inspect and open your luggage and you are not present, if they cut your locks they will not ship your firearm, unless it can be re-locked.  This almost happened to me in philly, bastards were breaking out the bolt cutters just as I got to secuity.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 9:00:56 PM EDT
[#15]
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 9:59:19 PM EDT
[#16]
This sounds reasonable.

Thanks!

John

Link Posted: 8/11/2016 8:10:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I've done this many times also, and each airport does it slightly differently.  It's never been a big deal, though.  (The weirdest one was in Albany NY, where I had to wait for the county sheriff's dept. to show up and check my carry license.  I'm not quite sure what that accomplished.)

One thing I like to do that hasn't been mentioned here is use a bicycle lock to cable my gun case into my suitcase.  Valuables go missing from luggage all the time, so I figure I will make it a little more difficult for some baggage handler to slip it out when no one's looking.  (I'd do the same for anything else of value that I couldn't just put in my carry-on.)  I also check my bag discreetly at the baggage claim to make sure it's still in there.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 8:42:18 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I've done this many times also, and each airport does it slightly differently.  It's never been a big deal, though.  (The weirdest one was in Albany NY, where I had to wait for the county sheriff's dept. to show up and check my carry license.  I'm not quite sure what that accomplished.)

One thing I like to do that hasn't been mentioned here is use a bicycle lock to cable my gun case into my suitcase.  Valuables go missing from luggage all the time, so I figure I will make it a little more difficult for some baggage handler to slip it out when no one's looking.  (I'd do the same for anything else of value that I couldn't just put in my carry-on.)  I also check my bag discreetly at the baggage claim to make sure it's still in there.
View Quote

I'm trying visualize that.

What do you secure the cable to?  Or do you just make sure the luggage has an internal D-ring, or some other solid attachment point?
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 12:03:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What do you secure the cable to?  Or do you just make sure the luggage has an internal D-ring, or some other solid attachment point?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My suitcase has one of those handles that telescopes in and out so it can be rolled instead of carried.  Those tubes run right down the back inside the suitcase and are exposed at the top (cheap luggage, I suppose), so they are real easy to get the cable around.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 12:17:03 PM EDT
[#20]
you dont have to check firearms on flights,, just keep them on you in your holster, its cool.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 1:45:24 PM EDT
[#21]
That's the way it should be for us lowly
American citizens.

I really wish it was that simple. Show a
DL & a CCW permit.

"Thank you sir. Have a nice flight."

John

Quoted:
you dont have to check firearms on flights,, just keep them on you in your holster, its cool.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/12/2016 10:13:04 PM EDT
[#22]

flying with a gun has gotten to be a big pain, plus you run the risk of getting your gun stolen.

Big Risk of never seeing your firearm again.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 9:43:53 AM EDT
[#23]
I am going to take that risk,
and not be a pussy about
providing safety for my family.

John
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 10:18:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I am going to take that risk,
and not be a pussy about
providing safety for my family.

John
View Quote

Yeah, a Glock is replaceable, your family is not.

On one trip I opted to leave it home because we had a layover in NYC, and I've read the stories about people being delayed, having to stay overnight there, and getting arrested when they go to check back in with their firearm safely secured in their luggage.  The flight went without a hitch, but the hotel was in a lot seedier neighborhood than I expected, and by the time we got there it was 2:00 am.  The parking lot was shared with a bar, and a guy in front of the bar came over wanting to clean our windshield for a few bucks.  I think this particular individual was harmless, but come on, you don't approach my family in a bar parking lot at 2:00 in the morning.  I acted like I did in fact have my gun on me, and unambiguously told him no.  

On the next trip we avoided NYC and the gun came with us.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 10:37:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Last February I flew for the first time in something like 30 years. From western Colorado to Savannah, with a layover in Dallas.

My suicase is a soft sided thing with an internal frame for the pull handle.

I picked up a ~$10-$15 hard pistol case and two small padlocks for it. Put the gun and a box of ammo in the case, locked it and used a cable lock through the case handle and around the frame.

Wyenni declared at the counter in Grand Junction she had me sign the card and slip it inside. Easy peasey.

When it was time to come home I declared the gun in Savannah and the clerk asked to see it. I opened the suitcase, pulled back a layer of clothes (I packed it in the middle to so the clothes would add padding so a handler couldn't feel a hard case or hear it hitting the frame.) As soon as she saw the hard case she said that was enough and had me sign the card I then put inside the suitcase. One more step than before but still easy peasy.

Overall no problems or issues at all.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 12:05:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

flying with a gun has gotten to be a big pain, plus you run the risk of getting your gun stolen.

Big Risk of never seeing your firearm again.
View Quote

How often do you fly with a firearm? I do it often (at least once a month) and have never had a problem. I flew home from leave with a rifle case that had two ARs and four Glocks jammed inside and they didn't say a word to me other than handing me the firearms unloaded slip.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:13:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Hello!

I made it down & back with no issues.

I made up the printed page as shown
and held it over the bag I had the case
in, so I didn't have to notify other travelers
that might overhear it. I also had a printed
copy of TSA's regs, just in case there were
some other questions, or the ticket person
was not up to speed with the procedures.

I also used a cable lock to secure the case
to my luggage, as someone suggested.

I had the case locked when we arrived at
KAVL, and the girl asked me to unlock the
case, so I did. I signed the "Firearms Unloaded
ticket & placed it inside the bag on top of the
case. She asked us to wait for a few minutes.
She returned in about 5 minutes & said we
were GTG. Upon arrival at KMCO, my bag
was spit out on the carousel like all the
others. I was expecting it to be hand carried to
me, or to have a huge red tag on that screamed
"GUN", but it was completely nonchalant.

Arriving at KMCO for the return trip was equally
laid back, except the ticket girl said it needed to
be locked, so I locked it. Having to unlock it at
KAVL, was a little odd, but I thought they were
going to inspect it, and then ask me to lock it,
but they let it go.

Completely no issues either way.

Thanks for the input!

John

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:16:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Sounds like my experiences.  Little inconsistencies throughout the process, but not enough to be a big deal - except for the time they did a 45-minute stripdown of my bags in a private room.  Probably a statistical anomaly.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:41:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
2.  Get to the airport earlier than usual.  You can do everything right, and still get taken to a room where they will thoroughly hand search your checked bad and your carry-on bag(s).  This took about 45 minutes the one time it happened to me.
View Quote

This is good advice though even without a firearm. I had this happen to me in Canada and I was totally unarmed. Got stopped and questioned up and down, stuck in a back room for half an hour with security. No idea why they stopped me; best guess is I resembled somebody they were looking for (although I'm dubious on there being a bomb scare from a guy who looks like a Czech-German).

Finally all came to an end when the guy who initially detained me came in with his supervisor saying, "This is the guy." (Who, me? What?)

Supervisor's face instantly morphed from very serious to total exasperation, looks at his underling, says, "NOOOO, Frank." Heaved a sigh, thumbed toward the door and said, "You're free to go, sir."

I imagine "Frank" got a talking to, and/or an order to get glasses.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:55:49 PM EDT
[#30]
FYI, http://handgunlaw.us/ has links at the top of the main page under "travel links" to the TSA and major airlines firearms transport policies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top