Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/6/2016 8:50:08 PM EDT
I'm looking to get a .380 for pocket carry. I've tried my buddies Glock 43, which is basically the same size as the 42. Too big. My PF-9 works with one pair of pants I own. I am looking for a true pocket pistol, and something in the .380 size from what I've tried in my pockets at gun stores is what truly would be a comfortable pocket pistol for me.

I have it narrowed down to the Ruger LCP, or the S&W Bodyguard. ARFCOM, pick my pocket gun!
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 9:04:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Beretta Cheetah and a Kimber Micro Custom that I absolutely love. Check out the Micro line of Kimber's, you will not be disappointed in performance.

Sorry didn't read your narrowed list before posting.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 9:09:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm looking to get a .380 for pocket carry. I've tried my buddies Glock 43, which is basically the same size as the 42. Too big. My PF-9 works with one pair of pants I own. I am looking for a true pocket pistol, and something in the .380 size from what I've tried in my pockets at gun stores is what truly would be a comfortable pocket pistol for me.

I have it narrowed down to the Ruger LCP, or the S&W Bodyguard. ARFCOM, pick my pocket gun!
View Quote

With those two I would say the Ruger. Mainly because I just do not like the S&W plastic guns. Or I really should say their plastic guns do not like me as I do not lock my wrist down. Now their pocket revolvers I would look at cause I know that isn't going to jamb on me like the autos.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 9:10:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I love my Sig P938 9MM
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 9:14:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Sig 238 or Ruger LCP depends on your budget
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 9:16:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I've shot the Sig 938, and hated it. I was deadset on getting one too until I actually shot one. Is the 238 much different than the 938?
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 9:17:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Out of those choices I'd take the LCP. When I have to pocket carry I carry a jframe.

I've never had a problem with the LCP just that I hate the trigger (it's a 1st gen and apparently have improved since). I also love my Kimber Micro .380 so I would suggest that over either the Bodyguard or the LCP. Sig p238, Colt Mustang or the Kimber would be my choice for .380. My LCP runs fine however the Kimber is much more shootable.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 9:20:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Out of those choices I'd take the LCP. When I have to pocket carry I carry a jframe.

I've never had a problem with the LCP just that I hate the trigger (it's a 1st gen and apparently have improved since). I also love my Kimber Micro .380 so I would suggest that over either the Bodyguard or the LCP. Sig p238, Colt Mustang or the Kimber would be my choice for .380. My LCP runs fine however the Kimber is much more shootable.
View Quote

J-frame is just too thick for me for pocket carry. I love mine, but it's an IWB gun for me due to thickness. I'll have to see if I can find a Colt Mustang to try out.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 9:29:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

J-frame is just too thick for me for pocket carry. I love mine, but it's an IWB gun for me due to thickness. I'll have to see if I can find a Colt Mustang to try out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kimber gets a bad rep on this forum and I had every intention of getting a p238 or a Colt until I compared them in person. The Kimber was cheapest and had the best fit/finish out of the limited few I looked at. The Colt had the worst fit/finish. I know people who have an example of each and no one has had any issues with any of them.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 9:38:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Kimber gets a bad rep on this forum and I had every intention of getting a p238 or a Colt until I compared them in person. The Kimber was cheapest and had the best fit/finish out of the limited few I looked at. The Colt had the worst fit/finish. I know people who have an example of each and no one has had any issues with any of them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't get the Kimber hate. I'm looking at their compact 9mm 1911's for my next 1911.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 9:39:41 PM EDT
[#10]
LCPs are so cheap right now. I couldn't say no to one.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 9:49:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

PSA has them for $200!

For that price, I think it's hard to go wrong, especially since it will be a back up gun, not a primary carry gun.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 9:54:51 PM EDT
[#12]
A bit late to the game and not one of your narrowed down options but what about a new Remington RM380.  Love mine, have about 500rds through it with no issues.

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 10:01:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A bit late to the game and not one of your narrowed down options but what about a new Remington RM380.  Love mine, have about 500rds through it with no issues.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31815523/RM380_SW442.jpg

View Quote

Haven't even seen one of those in person. How does it compare thickness wise to the j-frame?

For me, my j-frame is just too thick.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 10:21:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got a Diamondback DB380 that is super small.  I shot the heck out of it and it seemed to function fine.  Others may disagree and there are multiple reports of FTF & FTE.  That aside, mine is reliable.  It disappears into a pocket or IWB.  Now I cry my G43 with TLR-6 everywhere.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 10:47:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I've shot the Sig 938, and hated it. I was deadset on getting one too until I actually shot one. Is the 238 much different than the 938?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a bit smaller and better recoil. I like the 238 better but the Ruger LCP is a good gun and shoots well. For me the 238 has been better, it's more accurate for me, and it seems that it's built more solid. But for the price it should be.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 11:02:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Haven't even seen one of those in person. How does it compare thickness wise to the j-frame?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My J-frame measures ~1.31 at the cyclinder.  My RM380 measure ~.94 at it thickest area on the grip.  The slide is thinner ~.88 inches thick.

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 11:04:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

My J-frame measures ~1.31 at the cyclinder.  My RM380 measure ~.94 at it thickest area on the grip.  The slide is thinner ~.88 inches thick.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31815523/RM380_SW442%20top.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the side by side pics!
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 11:09:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No problem.  Give one a look if you get a chance.

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 11:11:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Bodyguard.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 11:58:00 PM EDT
[#20]
FWIW i love my P238 for pocket carry. Little thinner than a j-frame which is my second choice but so much more reliable than my LCP. although heavier than the lcl it doesn't bother me. For slightly larger pockets the Kahr cm/pm 9's are hard to beat
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 12:19:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Might just be me, but a G43 is a bit larger than the 42. I have a G42 and a LCP. If I'm pocket carrying, it's the LCP - hands down!
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 1:09:28 AM EDT
[#22]
My choices weren't mentioned. First the Pocket Pistol King, an Interarms Walther PPK/S and second a Colt 1908.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 5:14:33 AM EDT
[#23]
I have an LCP. I love it for pocket carry.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 7:09:26 AM EDT
[#24]
I have an LCP and G42... while the G42 is larger, I can shoot it much more accurately and quicker than the LCP...the short sight radius and the long DA trigger pull  that breaks at the frame of the LCP are much harder for me to shoot well than the G42 which trigger breaks in the mid pull like all Glocks
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 9:26:56 AM EDT
[#25]
I have a no laser bodyguard.  I have about 400 rds through with about 3/4 failures! First I thought it was the fiocchi ammo so I picked up 200rds of remmington hollow points. The first hundred where flawless and extremely accurate.  Just opened the 2nd box of Remington's and had a stove pipe with the first mag.
  I like everything about this gun and it's very accurate but can't really trust it yet.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 11:20:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have an LCP and G42... while the G42 is larger, I can shoot it much more accurately and quicker than the LCP...the short sight radius and the long DA trigger pull  that breaks at the frame of the LCP are much harder for me to shoot well than the G42 which trigger breaks in the mid pull like all Glocks
View Quote

G42 is smaller than the G43 but not by much.

I've owned both an LCP and Bodyguard .380, and I would have to pick the Bodyguard between those two choices.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 12:20:17 PM EDT
[#27]
For $200 bucks, I jumped on the PSA deal for the LCP.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 5:55:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

PSA has them for $200!

For that price, I think it's hard to go wrong, especially since it will be a back up gun, not a primary carry gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PSA has them for $200!

Right!?  

I hated to add a new caliber, especially a diminutive one like .380, but it's cheaper than a P3AT!  I got it as a backup, but found that it works great for NPEs where discretion is paramount, times when I have to dress up, and for air travel since it fits in such a small case and doesn't take up luggage space.  And, of course, it fills the BUG role well.  And that price.  

I've been really happy with it for pocket and IWB carry.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 5:57:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

I can't get over the fact that the takedown pin is held in by hopes that it doesn't fall out.  WTF wouldn't they put a detent - at least a spring-in-a-notch deal?  
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 8:19:24 AM EDT
[#30]
If slim is what you are looking for,  check out the beretta pico.  At .71" wide mine disappears in my pocket.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 9:17:11 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I can't get over the fact that the takedown pin is held in by hopes that it doesn't fall out.  WTF wouldn't they put a detent - at least a spring-in-a-notch deal?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The slide has to be between in-battery and slide lock to get it out.  The hole in the slide is pretty tight to the pin diameter so the alignment has to be precise. Something that is only going to happen with deliberate effort.  There is no way that pin can come out shooting, I even tested it shooting "gangsta" style.  It's a non-issue IMHO.

Link Posted: 5/8/2016 9:48:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Wife carries a Keltec P3AT. Very slim, lightweight, and easy to carry.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 10:04:31 AM EDT
[#33]
LCP
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 10:30:09 AM EDT
[#34]
LCP. It has reliability at the right price. Mine is very reliable and is a great back up gun for duty use.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 11:57:00 AM EDT
[#35]

I've been carrying a handgun of some sort for 30 years now.  I've always been searching for that perfect size-weight-caliber combination.  I finally acquired a Ruger LCP and I must say that it almost meets my given criteria.  Now that the .380 round has improved lately, I've decided to use this as my EDC gun and BUG for on-duty.  I had a North American Arms Guardian in .380, but I found it too heavy and it hurt my hand to shoot it.  Nothing like that with the Ruger LCP, easy to shoot, doesn't hurt my hand and is damn accurate out to 7 yards.  It's become my new pocket carry pistol with no regrets.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 8:23:48 PM EDT
[#36]
The Kimber Micro is a good choice for a pocket .380.  

It doesn't have the square lines of the Sig 238, making it more comfortable for pocket or IWB carry.  Mine has been relentlessly reliable (over 900 rounds to date and no malfunctions).  Despite being notably smaller and lighter than a PPK/S, it has substantially less felt recoil than a blow back operated .380 ACP and it is capable of excellent rapid fire combat accuracy.

Ballistically, I've found that I can get 980 fps with a 90 gr XTP using a max load of Titegroup, and that is fast enough that it will provide excellent expansion in bare gelatin.  I'll need to do some testing this summer to see how well it does in a heavy clothing test as it is a little below the 1000 fps threshold that bullet needs to reliably expand in heavy denim - but worst case it'll expand about 50% of the time, and the other 50% will be no worse than an FMJ  - and for summer carry it's a non issue.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 8:54:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
My choices weren't mentioned. First the Pocket Pistol King, an Interarms Walther PPK/S and second a Colt 1908.
View Quote

My pocket carry is a Manurhin Walther PPK/S
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 9:04:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

PSA has them for $200!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PSA has them for $200!

This is true but I also think the cw380 from Kahr is hard to beat.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 1:12:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Looks like im way outnumbered here, but I love my non-laser BodyGuard. I carry it often, usually in gym shorts but as a backup gun as well whenever I feel like it.
Mine has had no failures other than a dirty follower in one mag that wouldn't lock the slide back on empty. It shoots like a larger gun to me, and is very accurate for such a small gun. Eats all ammo ive tried through it, defense or reloads.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:57:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

PSA has them for $200!

I owned a CW380 for a little bit, and it was a stellar gun. I sold it because of all the horror stories I heard/read about Kahr's customer service. It was a neat little gun and handled the .380 load well.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 6:30:24 PM EDT
[#41]
I had a ruger lcp, went to a local range & rented a sig p238. I sold the lcp & bought a P238.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 9:59:40 PM EDT
[#42]
I can't speak to the Lcp, but I sold my bodyguard because I hated the trigger
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:55:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I can't speak to the Lcp, but I sold my bodyguard because I hated the trigger
View Quote

This.

Love my Glock 42 though. I pocket carry it in my back pocket.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 4:35:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Kahr CW380
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 8:33:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Just picked up the LCP I ordered last week. Put 150 rounds through it without any flaws. Shockingly accurate at 7 yards for such a little gun. Shoots even better than my PF9.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 8:41:31 PM EDT
[#46]
When I pocket carry it's the Mustang XSP. When I pick this better model of the LCP, it may be in the rotation of pocket carrying for me. Both are smaller than either the 42 and the 43 which for what it's worth, the glock single stacks are way too big for pocket carry to begin with.

Link Posted: 5/14/2016 10:32:16 PM EDT
[#47]
The LCP gen 2 or custom is really hard to beat. I traded away my j frame so I needed to pick up a pocket pistol cheap. I got a gen 2 LCP for $200. That in a sticky holster is the perfect solution for when you can't carry. I put 80 rounds through it today and it was not bad at all, I'm really impressed.

Link Posted: 5/15/2016 12:58:10 AM EDT
[#48]
My mom picked up a used bodyguard 380 with laser last weekend for a hell of a steal. It is too small to fit in her carry purse, I picked up a pocket holster for it today and tomorrow we're going to the range. If for some reason she doesn't like shooting it I'm going to attempt to acquire it from her as a pocket carry pistol for when I'm wearing something I can't carry my springfield in my iwb holster.

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 12:53:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The Kimber Micro is a good choice for a pocket .380.  

It doesn't have the square lines of the Sig 238, making it more comfortable for pocket or IWB carry.  Mine has been relentlessly reliable (over 900 rounds to date and no malfunctions).  Despite being notably smaller and lighter than a PPK/S, it has substantially less felt recoil than a blow back operated .380 ACP and it is capable of excellent rapid fire combat accuracy.

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h470/SDBB57/FDD319C6-55E6-4AF3-A455-F79A7D6E55DF_zps2vzr56m7.jpg

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h470/SDBB57/0BE61E11-604B-4BC7-8E86-2C3753DEAE9B_zpsci2h6k7u.jpg

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h470/SDBB57/AD525597-2015-4F1D-B4D4-F11B50D196F8_zpskupkakv1.jpg

Ballistically, I've found that I can get 980 fps with a 90 gr XTP using a max load of Titegroup, and that is fast enough that it will provide excellent expansion in bare gelatin.  I'll need to do some testing this summer to see how well it does in a heavy clothing test as it is a little below the 1000 fps threshold that bullet needs to reliably expand in heavy denim - but worst case it'll expand about 50% of the time, and the other 50% will be no worse than an FMJ  - and for summer carry it's a non issue.
View Quote

I handled a Kimber last Friday in Gander Mountain; I fell in love with it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 5:44:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Of those the Ruger LCP...  but for me I'd pick a Kel-Tec P3AT over the LCP.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top