Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2016 11:28:19 PM EDT
I need an IWB holster for my new Springfield XDs 4.0.  Unfortunately Comp Tac isn't making holsters for this gun so I have to look elsewhere and was considering an Alien Gear.  I'm wondering everyone's thoughts on the original 1.0 Cloak Tuck vs. the newer 3.0?  I saw a comment in another thread about the 3.0 making you sweat more in the summer, is that true?  We have a long and hot summer here!

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:57:27 PM EDT
[#1]
But it's a dry heat!

Except when it's humid.

In for the answer.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:28:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:47:44 AM EDT
[#3]
My comments about this in the other thread were based upon 24 years of a combination of city and state plainclothes LE, federal and private contract work and just concealed personal carry where I've worn a slew of body armor and concealment holsters in the Texas Gulf Coast and South Texas regions.  Synthetic materials tend to increase sweat, not "wick" it away as in cooler climates, which is consistent with what coworkers have experienced with ballistic vest undershirts, cc holsters, vest covers, etc., as well.  Cotton and leather are still the best things to have up against your skin imho.  Its near 80% humidity here today and the leather on my 1.0 is dry.  If you akwsys plan on having a shirt between the neoprene and your body above the beltline, this may not be an issue but why pay more for it? I have a nagging hip injury that is aggravated by other holsters at 4oclock but i can't even feel the full sized XD in the 1.0 at the same position so i'm not sure the 3.0's extra padding would of value...
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 12:45:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I have tried the 3.0 it does not make me sweat anymore than my comp-tac but I have not carried it anywhere near as much as comp-tac so I cannot give you an objective opinion based on real world usage.  The 3.0 is better made IMO than the 1.0.  I also wear under shirts so it does not sit next to my skin.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:50:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks all for the replies.  Yeah I usually wear an undershirt between the holster and my body, but not 100% of the time.  Hmmm, still not sure which to try...
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:19:07 PM EDT
[#6]
People rave about the Stealthgear Onyx because of the way the material breathes. Maybe see if they offer a mold for your pistol.

XDS .40

$100 and a 45 day wait and it's yours!
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:23:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
People rave about the Stealthgear Onyx because of the way the material breathes. Maybe see if they offer a mold for your pistol.

XDS .40

View Quote

Wow, pass.  I think I'd rather sweat a little
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 6:19:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

XDS .40

lol, I was thinking the same thing
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:53:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

XDS .40

$100 for a quality holster is not outrageous. I paid $95 for my JM Custom OWB2 and there is a 9-10 week wait on it. Bought an paid for on March 19. He's usually ahead of his lead time so I'm hoping to have it before the end of the month.

I'd be tempted to order an Onyx for my G43, but I'm just not a fan of IWB behind the hip. I prefer appendix carry.

OP, I honestly don't think you'd be disappointed by the SteathGear. A lot of people like them. I know it's a large chunk of change upfront for a holster you aren't sure if you'll like. Maybe keep an eye on the EE. I've seen them pop up from time to time.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:21:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

$100 for a quality holster is not outrageous. I paid $95 for my JM Custom OWB2 and there is a 9-10 week wait on it. Bought an paid for on March 19. He's usually ahead of his lead time so I'm hoping to have it before the end of the month.

I'd be tempted to order an Onyx for my G43, but I'm just not a fan of IWB behind the hip. I prefer appendix carry.

OP, I honestly don't think you'd be disappointed by the SteathGear. A lot of people like them. I know it's a large chunk of change upfront for a holster you aren't sure if you'll like. Maybe keep an eye on the EE. I've seen them pop up from time to time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

XDS .40

I'm sure it's a nice holster, I'm just not looking to spend that much right now.  I sort of doubt I'll have any luck on the EE finding a left handed holster for a sort of unusual gun, XDs 4"

If you're looking for a hybrid holster for your G43 check out the Comp Tac Cavalry holster.  That's what I used before I sold my G43.  Really comfortable holster; I'd have just ordered one of those if they made it for the XDs 4".  And it's a lot cheaper than the Stealth Gear.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 7:57:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I just picked one up on another forum. I ordered a new skin for my pistol, they have the deal to swap it out for free, but I wanted both. Everything I have read about Aliengearholsters.com has been positive from people that I trust. Mine is their 2.0 version that supposedly has the leather that resists sweat. The new material is probably more comfortable but nothing lasts like leather. NCH
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 1:00:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I love my 3.0 however I am normally wearing an undershirt. The few times I have carried without an undershirt I didn't notice anything different in regards to sweating. Over all it's a very comfortable holster.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:12:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

XDS .40

I got my stealth gear last year. It was real nice when it was hitting 100.  It is worth the hundred bucks but i only had a 15 day wait.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top