User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 11:07:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's also a story out there of a guy who fought off home invaders and fired 30 rounds or more.

Then you read what happened to Blitz and Mike_P and they didn't fire as many.

Use common sense and don't be too over analytical about this.We're not cops for those that go about our lives. Life is too short to be this paranoid.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I always carry at least 4. But, it comes down to what you are comfortable with. I always look at the worst case scenario and plan accordingly. The best case, average scenario is not the one that is going to get you killed. The worst case scenario is the one that will get you killed. Especially if you run out of ammunition. For example, most common, everyday dregs will probably not want to get into a gunfight and go into flight mode. Then there are the ones whose physiology gives them superhuman strength. Consider many police encounters where the bad guy(s) was shot multiple times and continued to shoot at the police, even though their bodies had taken multiple, seemingly incapacitating damage.

An example would be the two armored car robbers who engaged in a shootout with FBI agents in Miami in 1985. They took multiple hits to major organs and continued to shoot at FBI agents and killed several of the agents before they finally died. Someone will come along and say that they're not the FBI and have no intention of engaging armored car robbers. But, the point is, you carry a gun for protection without intending to engage anybody in a life threating situation. You may not intend to use your weapon, but, you carry it just in case you do.  You leave your house and have no intention of walking in on an armed robbery at the gas station. The people having dinner at the Luby's restaurant in Texas had no intention to encounter a nutcase who would drive his pickup truck into the restaurant and get out and start shooting restaurant patrons for no apparent reasons. Who expected that to happen when they went there to eat?

There was a Vietnamese restaurant in New Orleans where they were robbed. The robber didn't just rob them she took them into the back and shot all of them to leave no witnesses behind. Turned out a little girl survived and identified the robber as a uniformed NOL police officer. I'm sure none of the restaurant patrons thought they were going to be robbed and then killed that day.

Or the nut that went into the McDonald's restaurant in San Diego and started shooting patrons for no apparent reason. Or the two terrorists in San Bernardino, CA. If I am out and about and something like this happens, I will be wishing I had even more than the 4 magazines that I carry now. FBI Special Agent Mireles who almost died in the shootout in Miami in 1985 said he learned one thing from that experience. Carry as much ammo as you can.

Wow..... If you get to the point of needing 4 mags you are doing it wrong.  Pistol is only to get you back to your rifle or vehicle to GTFO of that situation.  

Mag in pistol and spare that is all for me.

Granted this is about a cop at work, but, even if he tried to retreat, I doubt he would have just him go.  If the bad guy here decided to take you on, I think you would have the same problem as this cop.  
https://www.policeone.com/police-heroes/articles/6199620-Why-one-cop-carries-145-rounds-of-ammo-on-the-job/

I usually carry a spare mag, either a 17 round one for the G19 or an 8 round one for the P290RS.  For either one, it is a DeSantis in my front weak side pocket.
There's also a story out there of a guy who fought off home invaders and fired 30 rounds or more.

Use common sense and don't be too over analytical about this.We're not cops for those that go about our lives. Life is too short to be this paranoid.

If I actually expected to need to use my pistol somewhere, I would not go there.  Kind of like if I knew I was going to need my seat belt / air bag, I would stay at home or walk which is what I think you mean by "common sense".  I don't think it ever hurts to have extra rounds though.  If you can't carry an extra mag, it isn't the end of the world by any stretch, but if you can, why not?

...and yes, I did cite an extreme example.  It is kind of like winning the lottery in reverse, very unlikely and not how to plan your retirement.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 11:32:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

If I actually expected to need to use my pistol somewhere, I would not go there.  Kind of like if I knew I was going to need my seat belt / air bag, I would stay at home or walk which is what I think you mean by "common sense".  I don't think it ever hurts to have extra rounds though.  If you can't carry an extra mag, it isn't the end of the world by any stretch, but if you can, why not?

...and yes, I did cite an extreme example.  It is kind of like winning the lottery in reverse, very unlikely and not how to plan your retirement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I always carry at least 4. But, it comes down to what you are comfortable with. I always look at the worst case scenario and plan accordingly. The best case, average scenario is not the one that is going to get you killed. The worst case scenario is the one that will get you killed. Especially if you run out of ammunition. For example, most common, everyday dregs will probably not want to get into a gunfight and go into flight mode. Then there are the ones whose physiology gives them superhuman strength. Consider many police encounters where the bad guy(s) was shot multiple times and continued to shoot at the police, even though their bodies had taken multiple, seemingly incapacitating damage.

An example would be the two armored car robbers who engaged in a shootout with FBI agents in Miami in 1985. They took multiple hits to major organs and continued to shoot at FBI agents and killed several of the agents before they finally died. Someone will come along and say that they're not the FBI and have no intention of engaging armored car robbers. But, the point is, you carry a gun for protection without intending to engage anybody in a life threating situation. You may not intend to use your weapon, but, you carry it just in case you do.  You leave your house and have no intention of walking in on an armed robbery at the gas station. The people having dinner at the Luby's restaurant in Texas had no intention to encounter a nutcase who would drive his pickup truck into the restaurant and get out and start shooting restaurant patrons for no apparent reasons. Who expected that to happen when they went there to eat?

There was a Vietnamese restaurant in New Orleans where they were robbed. The robber didn't just rob them she took them into the back and shot all of them to leave no witnesses behind. Turned out a little girl survived and identified the robber as a uniformed NOL police officer. I'm sure none of the restaurant patrons thought they were going to be robbed and then killed that day.

Or the nut that went into the McDonald's restaurant in San Diego and started shooting patrons for no apparent reason. Or the two terrorists in San Bernardino, CA. If I am out and about and something like this happens, I will be wishing I had even more than the 4 magazines that I carry now. FBI Special Agent Mireles who almost died in the shootout in Miami in 1985 said he learned one thing from that experience. Carry as much ammo as you can.

Wow..... If you get to the point of needing 4 mags you are doing it wrong.  Pistol is only to get you back to your rifle or vehicle to GTFO of that situation.  

Granted this is about a cop at work, but, even if he tried to retreat, I doubt he would have just him go.  If the bad guy here decided to take you on, I think you would have the same problem as this cop.  
https://www.policeone.com/police-heroes/articles/6199620-Why-one-cop-carries-145-rounds-of-ammo-on-the-job/

I usually carry a spare mag, either a 17 round one for the G19 or an 8 round one for the P290RS.  For either one, it is a DeSantis in my front weak side pocket.

I carry an extra mag. But that is it. And what you said made no sense. Better to have the gun and not need it then need it and not have it. And if you think driving with no seat belt is retarded. There are over 300,000 automobile related accidents leading to 32,000 give or take deaths a year. That's not even counting the amount on no death automobile incidents and injuries.

How about never go outside, live in a bubble, reinforce your bunker, because meteorites.

Let's not make this retarded.

Spare mag maybe, and a gun is okay. You don't need to be carrying over a 100 rounds on you when you are not a cop and just a joe civy. Life is too short to be this damn paranoid and over analytical.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 1:33:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I carry an extra mag. But that is it. And what you said made no sense. Better to have the gun and not need it then need it and not have it. And if you think driving with no seat belt is retarded. There are over 300,000 automobile related accidents leading to 32,000 give or take deaths a year. That's not even counting the amount on no death automobile incidents and injuries.

How about never go outside, live in a bubble, reinforce your bunker, because meteorites.

Spare mag maybe, and a gun is okay. You don't need to be carrying over a 100 rounds on you when you are not a cop and just a joe civy. Life is too short to be this damn paranoid and over analytical.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have an engineering degree so it is quite possible that what I wrote is less than clear.  

At most I carry one spare mag.  I do wear my seat belt as it is a very reasonable precaution.  I don't visit "the hood" or other high crime areas.  I don't drive like a moron.  I do go pretty much where ever I feel like going.  If I see something bad going down, I will call 911 and let them handle it if at all possible.  I paid damn near 8k in property taxes last year so someone else can deal with that shit.  My sidearm is a last resort, kind of like my seatbelt.  If I plan on using either one due to my own actions, I am doing something very wrong.  It is the "other guy" I have no control over.  I am still going to drive my dogs to the nearby forest preserve tomorrow and take them for a walk like I do most weekends. I will drive carefully in case someone else screws up, I will try to avoid them.  I am not a perfect driver so if I screw up, I hope they do the same.  I believe it is very unlikely that I will be involved in a car crash tomorrow, but the probability is non-zero.  I have been walking my dogs at this forest preserve for 4+ years, and I have never had a bad encounter with anyone but the probability of encountering a "bad" person is non-zero.  I will have my G19 with me.  In the unlikely event that I encounter a bad person, the pistol may or may not be a useful tool.  In an even more unlikely event, the single 17 round spare magazine may or may not be a useful tool.

I actually think we are in agreement.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 1:54:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 3:06:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No one ever walked out of a gunfight complaining of having too much ammo left.
View Quote

Lots of people walk around with too much crap in their pockets, though  

If I'm carrying something that holds 15ish rounds, I don't bother with an extra mag.  Gun Keys phone knife wallet flashlight is already bulky as hell. I'm not interested in wearing a mall ninja duty belt 24/7
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 4:02:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Off-duty I carry either my Glock 23, and one extra magazine or my XDS 9mm, and an extra magazine.
On duty, I carry my issue Glock 22 and 5 extra magazines, plus a 20-round AR magazine on my duty belt.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 9:58:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I have always found that if you Can't Hit your target, you can't carry enough ammo to overcome that

There are different scenarios that require different solutions. But seriously, as a civilian, do you need enough for a 4 hour firefight!?!

Bernard Goetz had 5 rounds and 4 assailants and did fine without a reload...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top