Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2016 6:14:07 PM EDT
Background: I currently own a Glock 19, and 17. I appendix carry the Glock 19 in summer and winter, occasionally I carry the 17 OWB when wearing a coat.

I recently started working as an engineer and am beginning to dress differently. Ultimately I can no longer carry appendix with a 19 as I wear tucked in shirts every weekday. The shirts usually range from a polo to dress shirt. I am looking for something I can leave in my car, and to throw in my pocket in errands after work.

Suggestions: ?

Side Note: I borrowed my buddies Glock 26, tried ankle carry, but being a smaller frame guy, most of my pants are a slimmer fit, and the 26 printed very very heavily.
Edit 1: Would prefer 9mm, but .380 is not off the table.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 6:17:54 PM EDT
[#1]
What holster are you using for the 19?  It is possible to AIWB a 19 with a tucked in shirt, whether that's the right option for you or not I can't really say.  If that doesn't work, you could try a good appendix setup with a Glock 43

G43 is too big for pocket carry for me, so if that's the route you're going to go you might have to step down to something like an LCP or P3AT

ETA: Ankle carry a G43 or shield?
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 6:25:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What holster are you using for the 19?  It is possible to AIWB a 19 with a tucked in shirt, whether that's the right option for you or not I can't really say.  If that doesn't work, you could try a good appendix setup with a Glock 43

G43 is too big for pocket carry for me, so if that's the route you're going to go you might have to step down to something like an LCP or P3AT

ETA: Ankle carry a G43 or shield?
View Quote

Currently this: https://strongsideholsters.com/product/clandestine-iwb-holster/

I've thought about AIWB tucked, but I'm a slimmer guy, I think with a dress shirt it would be too bulgy.

Ankle of a shield is an option, I'm just afraid if I go buy one, and quality ankle holster it still may be too big when wearing slimmer dress pants.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 6:36:12 PM EDT
[#3]
get a ruger lcp
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 6:44:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I've thought about AIWB tucked, but I'm a slimmer guy, I think with a dress shirt it would be too bulgy.
View Quote

With a holster that's designed to be tucked, you might could get away with it.  Might be worth a try, since a holster is cheaper than a new gun.

Being skinny is a plus for concealing an appendix carried gun. I can tuck in a G19 with a mag holder opposite it and you'd never know, especially with a black belt to match the clips
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 7:17:41 PM EDT
[#5]
since you are already used to the Glock platform... a G42 with a Recluse pocket holster... pic is for the "cargo pant" model... they make a similar for traditional front pockets... the slit in the front allows purchase of the pistol, with backing to help with printing... I can shoot it much more accurately and quicker than my LCP... it is significantly larger than the LCP

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:49:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Ruger LC9s  is my answer.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 10:08:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Kahr P380 in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster, or a kydex pocket holster from Alabama Holster Company.

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 10:48:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
get a ruger lcp
View Quote

This.  I love the Glock 43, but it's no pocket pistol.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 2:34:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Ruger LCP Custom. Because if you're going to recommend it, best to suggest one the OP will actually like and not hate.

Hickok45 is a Glock guy like the OP, so here is the review:

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 4:13:55 AM EDT
[#10]
If you want to pocket carry, take a look at the S&W BodyGuard too. Im a Glock guy myself, but I love my BG. Its the only small gun out of the ones I tried that shoots like a bigger gun IMO. It has full features and slide locks back on empty as well.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 4:37:28 AM EDT
[#11]
I have the original LCP, and I love it. Also, I have had zero issues with it, functioned flawlessly right out of the box, and feeds everything I have tried in it. *shrug* I also have to wear a "dress" uniform every day, and no one can tell I always have it on me, every day. So all year long, I'm armed with something at work. Soon as I get off work property though, I have my Glock 30S.

Wallet holster for the win, when it comes to concealment of these little micro pistols.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 4:47:54 AM EDT
[#12]
S&W 642
Just a bit thicker but unless you wear real tight pants it works pretty well .

I find I shoot it better than any of the small light autos
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 7:52:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Sig P938 in a SwapRig holster.

I modified this holster a bit by cutting down the hook and moving one of the retainer screws to better fit the pistol profile.

17oz. unloaded.  7+1 9mm.  Shoots very soft for its size.  In fact, I find it easier to shoot than my friend's Bodyguard.

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:15:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Glock 42/43 Appendix. If you can't do that, your pants are too tight and you need to stop dressing like a teenage girl.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 2:57:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Glock 42/43 Appendix. If you can't do that, your pants are too tight and you need to stop dressing like a teenage girl.
View Quote

The pants wouldn't print as much as the shirt I would think. Appendix holsters need to have some sort of tuck in towards the body or the grip of the gun will print badly.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:08:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The pants wouldn't print as much as the shirt I would think. Appendix holsters need to have some sort of tuck in towards the body or the grip of the gun will print badly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what a wedge is for.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:23:58 AM EDT
[#17]
This isn't a great picture, but I wanted to show the OP what an AIWB setup could look like tucked in.  Glock 19 and a spare mag.

As others have said in a a hundred threads before, a good stiff belt will make all the difference.  In the picture I'm wearing this one which I just got, so I can't speak to its durability, but it sure is rigid.

Anyway, hope this helps
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 10:15:05 AM EDT
[#18]
For your sort of situation, I use an LCP with Crimson Trace Defender Laser and extended mag in an original, no clip Remora IWB used as a pocket holster in right front pocket.

Slightly lower profile would be the LCP with no modifications in a DeSantis Nemesis in the right front pocket.

First rule of gun fighting - Have a gun
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 10:30:43 AM EDT
[#19]
My buddy has this for his work carry deep conceal.  I used it for a week to see if I liked it.  I did like it but I really have no need for deep concealment.

http://urbancarryholsters.com/

I carry a G19 or Walther PPS in a Comp-Tac M-Tac holster.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:01:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This isn't a great picture, but I wanted to show the OP what an AIWB setup could look like tucked in.  Glock 19 and a spare mag.

<a href="http://s38.photobucket.com/user/nathan210/media/IMG_20160203_184245924_zpsmc8qu2hs.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e147/nathan210/IMG_20160203_184245924_zpsmc8qu2hs.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s38.photobucket.com/user/nathan210/media/IMG_20160203_184512876_zpsledgnjlm.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e147/nathan210/IMG_20160203_184512876_zpsledgnjlm.jpg</a>

As others have said in a a hundred threads before, a good stiff belt will make all the difference.  In the picture I'm wearing this one which I just got, so I can't speak to its durability, but it sure is rigid.

Anyway, hope this helps
View Quote
You were printing without even knowing it.

We need as a group, really need to give up on trying to reeducate and instead problem solve the OP's wishes. He will not die without a G19, trust me.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:20:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

We need as a group, really need to give up on trying to reeducate and instead problem solve the OP's wishes. He will not die without a G19, trust me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s38.photobucket.com/user/nathan210/media/IMG_20160203_184245924_zpsmc8qu2hs.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e147/nathan210/IMG_20160203_184245924_zpsmc8qu2hs.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s38.photobucket.com/user/nathan210/media/IMG_20160203_184512876_zpsledgnjlm.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e147/nathan210/IMG_20160203_184512876_zpsledgnjlm.jpg</a>

Anyway, hope this helps

Trust me, to the casual observer, that would go unnoticed. I asked two friends who ccw to find the gun -while looking at me, not a cell phone picture - and they couldn't.

OP has a 19, and asked for recommendations on a new gun or a new way to carry. No one is suggesting that he will die without a 19, just providing the recommendations he asked for. Like I said before, a new holster is cheaper than a new gun.

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:39:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Trust me, to the casual observer, that would go unnoticed. I asked two friends who ccw to find the gun -while looking at me, not a cell phone picture - and they couldn't.

OP has a 19, and asked for recommendations on a new gun or a new way to carry. No one is suggesting that he will die without a 19, just providing the recommendations he asked for. Like I said before, a new holster is cheaper than a new gun.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyway, hope this helps

Whatever.

I have learned long ago that there is no one gun to do it all. People who carry tend to notice what to look for to see if so an so is carrying or not. And a pocket gun will always conceal easier and better in those type of clothes. It will also be way more comfortable all day without the need to adjust and show everyone that you're armed.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:54:16 PM EDT
[#23]
if a shield or g43 aint it, SW j frfame
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:01:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Whatever.

I have learned long ago that there is no one gun to do it all. People who carry tend to notice what to look for to see if so an so is carrying or not. And a pocket gun will always conceal easier and better in those type of clothes. It will also be way more comfortable all day without the need to adjust and show everyone that you're armed.
View Quote

I agree with you on this.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 2:37:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
get a ruger lcp
View Quote

$199 this weekend at PSA
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 6:41:18 PM EDT
[#26]
After lots of conversations and debates I think I'm moving forward with a Kahr CW380. It's the smallest .380 that's reliable I can find. Also, can be picked up for around 325 new/used.

I'll just have to carry a spare mag. I'd love to carry the 19, but untucking, and retucking a dress shirt everyday after work in my car sounds like a giant pain in the ass. I'd rather just slip it into my pocket.

Thoughts?

Sig .380 is out because of price. If i wanted to spend that much on a pistol it would be a Glock 40 MOS.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 6:45:54 AM EDT
[#27]
G43 is NOT a pocket gun for me.
G42 can fit in a pocket, but it's still a bit on the heavy and bulky side.
LCP on the other hand, disappears. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on a LCP custom.

I work from home now - when I worked in the office, carrying was strictly verboten. Pretty much immediate dismissal.
I carried a NAA 22 for a long time in that environment. The a P32 or P3AT, then the LCP.
With the better sights on the new LCP's, it really makes no sense to get a G42 - other than the TLR-6. That's about it.
Well and the G42 is more comfortable to shoot, but it won't conceal like an LCP.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:45:09 AM EDT
[#28]
PM9

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:08:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
After lots of conversations and debates I think I'm moving forward with a Kahr CW380. It's the smallest .380 that's reliable I can find. Also, can be picked up for around 325 new/used.

I'll just have to carry a spare mag. I'd love to carry the 19, but untucking, and retucking a dress shirt everyday after work in my car sounds like a giant pain in the ass. I'd rather just slip it into my pocket.

Thoughts?

Sig .380 is out because of price. If i wanted to spend that much on a pistol it would be a Glock 40 MOS.
View Quote

Ruger LCP is 199 on Palmetto state alllll day. I think the lcp or a J-Frame would work for you.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:40:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Personally i went with a LCP + shoot through wallet holster to be my new AOM (always on me) gun. I carry a sr9c otherwise
Took advantage of the 199 deal from PSA. Just couldnt pass it up.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:38:45 AM EDT
[#31]
I'd go with a tuckable AIWB since you're already used to that position, and I'd do it with the pistol you already have. You could try a belly band under your shirt, but it's going to slow down your draw worse than a pocket holster. Personally, I see no reason at all to go any smaller than a compact Glock sized pistol. Especially true with all of the holster options out there.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 8:05:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Kahr PM9 or CM9 with a Recluse OS Solo holster.  Takes 9 mm +P+, looks like a wallet in your pocket, never gets in the way, and you can access it without untucking anything.  I prefer to have something larger with me, but this is SO natural and convenient to carry.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 8:34:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
get a ruger lcp
View Quote

Amen.

I hate that little dinky gun.  Until I need a little dinky gun.

Link Posted: 2/15/2016 11:20:22 AM EDT
[#34]
My favorite carry method for deeper concealment and comfort is the 511 holster shirt.  Its under armour type material with underarm pouches on each side.  I have carried a G23 this way but usually go with something smaller.   This shirt under a button down gives decent access to pistol and would take being frisked to have pistol discovered.

Big benefit is this makes bathroom stops a no brainer.  No holding up your pants while standing at a urinal,  no wondering what to do with pistol if its a sit down.

Downside is cost.  59$ ea and if you wanted to go everyday it would take a few shirts to be able to cycle through laundry and always have clean ones.  I have had one for 5 years and used it maybe 50 times.  So far no wear showing of any sort.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 6:32:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Update: Here
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 6:53:10 AM EDT
[#36]
I have been carrying a Ruger LCP almost every single day since I purchased it in 2012, that's over 4 years of carrying this pistol almost every single day. The version I have is one of the earlier ones, milled sights, early trigger etc. Honestly I haven't wanted one of the newer versions with the improved trigger and sights. Crazy right? Well no not at all actually, often I carrying the LCP as a 2ndary pistol (main being a Glock 30S) and do so with a wallet holster, some of the pants I wear have somewhat more narrow rear pockets, and I'm pretty sure if it had the improved sights, they would snag. God forbid I need it, and I'm trying to draw it quickly and it gets caught. Besides for the intended purpose of a pistol like this, I'm not worried about the minimal sights or trigger. I seriously think some of these people that "review" pistols after only a little time with them on youtube or whatever have pushed the newer version touting the original as a piece of shit because they couldn't do well when they were target practicing with it at a range. That is NOT at all what the pistol is for imo. It's a minimalistic last choice up close point and shoot defensive pistol. It's always gone bang with any ammo I have put though it and as small and light as they come, and at a price that just about anyone can afford. I think it's great personally.

ETA: And doesn't really have any dumb shit like a chamber indicator etc. to snag clothing.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 12:12:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Thoughts?

View Quote

I like the small Kahr's more than a lot of people do. Have two CM9's and like them so much I bought a third as a gift for one of my sons to replace his old Makarov ccw pistol. But if I'm only getting .380 power from my pocket gun, my pocket gun is going to be something smaller and lighter than the Kahr's; specifically an LCP. Same caliber, same capacity, lighter weight, better concealability. Thoughtfully loaded, it's (imo) about as effective on a shot-per-shot basis as a lot of the .38 loads we carried in the 70's, and the LCP gives me the advantages (as would the CW380) of 40% more capacity, faster reloads, and more concealable spare ammo (magazine vs. speedloader) than the J-frames did back then; so on the occasions that I'm only carrying a pocket gun, it's actually still in my comfort zone.

Mine is one of the old ones, bought in probably late 2009 or early 2010; and I've read that the triggers on the new ones are different. Don't know how the new ones compare to the old ones, but if they're as good, I'd recommend them highly.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 12:33:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I like the small Kahr's more than a lot of people do. Have two CM9's and like them so much I bought a third as a gift for one of my sons to replace his old Makarov ccw pistol. But if I'm only getting .380 power from my pocket gun, my pocket gun is going to be something smaller and lighter than the Kahr's; specifically an LCP. Same caliber, same capacity, lighter weight, better concealability. Thoughtfully loaded, it's (imo) about as effective on a shot-per-shot basis as a lot of the .38 loads we carried in the 70's, and the LCP gives me the advantages (as would the CW380) of 40% more capacity, faster reloads, and more concealable spare ammo (magazine vs. speedloader) than the J-frames did back then; so on the occasions that I'm only carrying a pocket gun, it's actually still in my comfort zone.

Mine is one of the old ones, bought in probably late 2009 or early 2010; and I've read that the triggers on the new ones are different. Don't know how the new ones compare to the old ones, but if they're as good, I'd recommend them highly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thoughts?

LCP is 6+1, same as CW380, how is that 40% more?

Or are you saying it's 40% more than a wheel gun? Also, althought I hate the .380 round it's so small/concealable and I don't plan on stopping with 1 shot anyways.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 6:38:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Or are you saying it's 40% more than a wheel gun? Also, althought I hate the .380 round it's so small/concealable and I don't plan on stopping with 1 shot anyways.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thoughts?

That's what I meant; not meaning to knock Kahr at all - I like them.

After posting the above, I went & looked up the specs on the CW380. I didn't realize how much smaller it is than the CM9 and how close to the LCP it really is. Only 0.3" taller, 0.08" wider and less than one ounce heavier; and actually beats out the LCP a little bit in overall length at 0.2" shorter.

I could easily talked into the CW380 myself, now that I know it's true size.
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 9:40:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

After posting the above, I went & looked up the specs on the CW380. I didn't realize how much smaller it is than the CM9 and how close to the LCP it really is. Only 0.3" taller, 0.08" wider and less than one ounce heavier; and actually beats out the LCP a little bit in overall length at 0.2" shorter.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/P380five.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thoughts?

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/P380five.jpg

I was debating between the 2, and liked the kahr design a little more, went and shot it yesterday, shoots great, hurts to shoot, but it shoots good.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 7:32:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Somebody help me out here, I thought the wallet type holsters were outlawed several years ago but I'm seeing a lot of them for sale. Maybe it was just a certain one for certain guns I can't remember.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 12:46:21 AM EDT
[#42]
I know you've kind of moved on to small semi autos, but a 642/442 in a belly band can't be dismissed. I personally have a much easier time getting good hits with the revolver than with the small autos. Plus the reliability can't be understated.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 1:18:45 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Somebody help me out here, I thought the wallet type holsters were outlawed several years ago but I'm seeing a lot of them for sale. Maybe it was just a certain one for certain guns I can't remember.
View Quote

I think they started making them slightly different to skirt the law. If a certain part or percentage of the pistol is exposed, then it is kosher? (I'm recalling this from another thread, could be wrong.)

Link Posted: 3/21/2016 7:24:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Thoughts?

View Quote

I recently switched to a Kimber Micro Carry, given the size, weight, controllability and relentless reliability with anything I've fed it.

Plus with a 2.75" barrel it can deliver expansion and 12" penetration in bare ballistic gel with a half dozen commercially available loads using the Hornady XTP.  That's a lot less likely with an even shorter barrel.

In comparison to the Sig P238, the base model Kimber is about $120 less expensive, and in comparison to a polymer framed  Kahr .380 it's only 3 oz heavier.   Personally, I've never been a Kahr fan and I firmly believe you usually get what you pay for.  If swinging a Sig or  Kimber isn't an option now, I'd save the difference and just buy a Sig or Kimber once.

Also, after about 25 year of concealed carry with semi-autos, I also became a J-frame fan, preferring a 2" or 3" Model 60 in .357 Mag for carry when I want a hand gun with more punch.  It seems counterintuitive but the J-frame revolver actually conceals very well even with a 3" barrel, as with the exception of the cylinder, the width is much less, so the average thickness and bulk is much less.   And it is very comfortable to carry as it has no square edges. .  

-----

Otherwise,  I agree you're on the right track going with a smaller pistol for concealment for casual business dress carry.

A pocket holster is ok, but I still prefer a good tuckable IWB holster carried at about 3:30-4:00.

The Wild Bills Concealment Covert Carry works extremely well, even with a slightly larger pistol like the PPK/S.  The location of the clip allows for a thinner profile and the design keeps the butt tucked in tighlty  to your side. And it can be used for AIWB carry as well.

http://www.wildbillsconcealment.com/covert_carry.htm

Link Posted: 3/21/2016 3:44:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Also could take a look at the LCR 9mm as a pocket gun. No new cartridge and a snub nose is about as good as it gets with with a pocket holster.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top