Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2016 4:29:57 PM EDT
I just transferred from city to county. At my last agency, we carried Safariland 6360 holsters, which are my favorite duty holsters. The draw is smooth, even under high stress. My current SO uses Safariland 6280 level III holsters with the sls hood and sentry. I'm slowly adapting to the sentry, however, the inside of the holster has what appears to be a thick leather/suede liner, which makes for a pretty snug fit with my Glock 22 and TLR 1 HL. I've noticed when I draw with this holster, there isn't nearly as much forgiveness, which concerns me in a high stress environment. Often times the thick leather liner will catch on my duty weapon when I draw. The liner is textured like worn leather and is almost tacky to the touch, so it sticks to the finish of the Glock when drawing the weapon. Any advice on smoothing out/hardening the liner?
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 4:50:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine smoothed out after *a lot* of draws.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 4:53:21 PM EDT
[#2]
FPNI, + maybe wipe down front half of slide with silicone rag.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 7:52:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
or just your preferred gun lube.  Nothing wrong with a little oil in this type of holster.

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 8:06:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

or just your preferred gun lube.  Nothing wrong with a little oil in this type of holster.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This too, though I prefer the cloth, since it cuts down on chances of anything getting on the slide serrations.  But careful and light application of oil will work just dandy.

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 8:30:52 PM EDT
[#5]
This is what I have done with several Safariland lined duty holsters over the years. Spray the suede lining with pure silicone spray till its saturated and dripping. It is important to use pure silicone spray, not WD40 or anything like that. Let the silicone soak into the suede for a couple of minutes, then stuff rags down into the holster to soak up the excess silicone. Put it on your belt, adjust the retention screw to where you are happy and practice your draw many times. By the time you get done, it will be slicker than snot.

Bub75
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 6:11:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Just leave the gun in there. Soon enough it will loosen up. I'm sure practicing your draw would help also and is never a bad idea to practice that.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 4:13:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 8:04:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Silicon spray in a can and a lot of repetition. The 6280 is great for a gun without a light but it seems to be very finicky with a light attached.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 9:41:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Will you're new department allow you to use the other holster? And/or put a hood on your old one if it doesn't have one already (or buy a new 6360 with hood and sentry) so it looks the same. Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission

I switched from the suede line one without the ALS to the 6360 and it is much smoother and faster for me but we are allowed to carry whatever holster (and firearm) we want as long as it's approved by our firearms instructor.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 9:51:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Lots of draws...

Reason: Burnished leather is slick. Repetitive rubbing between flat metal and leather will burnish the rough areas.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:43:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Ditch the 6280 and get a 7360. The 7000 series does away with the suede lining and then draw is much improved.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:56:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Silicone spray
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 4:31:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ditch the 6280 and get a 7360. The 7000 series does away with the suede lining and then draw is much improved.
View Quote

Probably stuck with basket weave.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 8:18:33 AM EDT
[#14]
$12, applied with your finger - it's that simple LINK

Initially I applied a generous coating with my finger from both ends of the holster and rubbed it in followed by many draws. Reapplied as needed.

Then  wrapped my pistol in Saran Wrap, applied another rubbed in generous application, holstered the wrapped pistol overnight. They say it won't hurt your gun but I can't bring myself to just leave it on there. They also say this part is not needed (probably right but a holdover from my wet & wait days).

It wears off at a subtle rate and when it finally dawns on me it is getting harder to draw, I reapply a light coat.

I have used this on all my leather holsters since then and barely used an 1/8th of the bottle.

WD40 goes on my door hinges, not my leather holsters
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 2:15:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This is what I have done with several Safariland lined duty holsters over the years. Spray the suede lining with pure silicone spray till its saturated and dripping. It is important to use pure silicone spray, not WD40 or anything like that. Let the silicone soak into the suede for a couple of minutes, then stuff rags down into the holster to soak up the excess silicone. Put it on your belt, adjust the retention screw to where you are happy and practice your draw many times. By the time you get done, it will be slicker than snot.

Bub75
View Quote

This guy stole my idea . Seriously, this works with every safariland Ive had. But, the holsters with a light do hang up with worrying frequency, to the point where im not comfortable using them.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:57:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Bub75
View Quote

This worked outstanding, thanks!
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 1:00:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would, unfortunately it's department policy to use the issued holster...
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:25:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Yep silicone lube and practice. The 6280 has always seemed more prone to hanging up if you get any twist to your draw, it likes the gun to be drawn straight up. I didn't care for the Sentry either, it adds a double thumb movement. The 6360 seems smoother both in the draw and the release movement. The hood release leaves your thumb in the right position to hit the ALS lever and release the gun. When I had my 6280 I would leave the Sentry unlocked much of the time and only snap it on if I was going into a crowd or tight spot.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 8:14:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bub75

You're certainly welcome. I've carried Safariland holsters exclusively for 25 years and this has worked VERY WELL for every one. Just drawing and holstering will eventually do it, but it takes forever. The silicone just speeds and slicks things up. Not to mention, the silicone helps to waterproof the suede and, as a result, helps keep your gun from rusting.

Bub75
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 8:53:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Get some silicone spray and lots of practice drawing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top