Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2015 7:50:25 AM EDT
So ive been considering a shoulder holster. But wanna hear if any memebers have gievn them a try before, and liked or disliked using them. Im thinkinf of a galco lite for either my shield or xdm 3.8 compact
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 8:30:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Sundays at church.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 10:07:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Used one "open carry" while deployed (M9 in a Galco).  Only way to really conceal with one is a relatively heavy & loose jacket.  If you need a CCW "shoulder holster" check out Kangaroo Carry.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 10:10:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I tried one once. I realized, $70 later, that I prefer it on my hip.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 10:14:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Only time I use a shoulder holster is when it's cold enough to wear coats. I hardly use it since I'm in Houston, heh. Shoulder holsters are comfortable, but not nearly as practical as a good hip holster.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 10:44:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I have tried a couple, they are in the box of holsters now.
I just prefer hip carry.  This sparks holster makes it easy.
My EDC.

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 12:01:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I used to carry a full-sized 1911 in a vertical shoulder holster.

The major advantage I found was that it is much easier to take a shit in a public restroom when wearing a shoulder holster.

Other than that, they all have good and bad.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 2:30:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I've only tried it with a cheap one and a Model 19, beat my back up pretty bad. Most likely attributed to cheap shoulder holster or improper adjustment.

Given this experience I'm very hesitant to try a higher end one for fear of the same result.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 4:14:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Can you define "beat my back up"?
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 5:47:01 PM EDT
[#9]
{This is a copy & paste from a post in a thread a year or so ago: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_10/155599_Shoulder_rigs.html&page=1 }

Key thing with a shoulder holster is doing it right. Even a good shoulder rig will be uncomfortable and inefficient if poorly adjusted & fit. A poor shoulder holster will suck no matter what you do. The Miami Classic that SJustice mentions is a very good one, although old-school & far from cutting-edge. Not an insult at all, their even-older Jackass version is actually my favorite harness. A leather holster-body in a shoulder rig can be thick & bulky; I prefer Kydex, but that's largely because thinness (and anything else that helps concealability) is extremely important to me.

I've pretty much settled on the Jackass rig for the harness section of my rigs, which is basically just a softer, suede version of the miami classic. For the holster bodies I use kydex pull-thru's from ww.survivalsheath.com. I have three set up this way; one for glock 19, one for glock 26, and one for kahr cm9's.

Biggest mistakes/problems when fitting & adjusting are that most people wear them too low. They can be more comfortable that way, but lose a lot of concealability and also flop around a lot. Adjusted high & tight under the pect, with muzzle diagonally up (which the miami classic style harnesses tend to), you can conceal a lot of gun under a jacket. Same way, you can also conceal a pretty-good gun (g26's & cm9's in my case) under a one-size-large, tucked-in dress shirt. Poorly adjusted, or poor rig to begin with, you just can't do that.

Upsides to a shoulder rig are that they don't require a stiff 'gunbelt' belt, if concealed properly, they can be harder to detect than a belt holster or pocket holster, and if you ever find yourself needing to use a stall in a public restroom, the gun remains holstered, undisturbed.

Downsides are that if in deeper concealment (ie, under a shirt), they tend to be slower to draw from; at least for me. They also (the diagonal & horizontal ones) also 'sweep' a whole lot of things throughout the day. The nice lady sitting behind you in church, your kid in the backseat of your car, etc. Not a danger with a good, protective holster, but it's a valid concern imo and bears consideration. This same sweeping means they can't be used in many training and competition settings, since they're pointing the wrong way (ie, at the officials, spectators, whoever) when you start to draw them.

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 5:48:43 PM EDT
[#10]
{This is an older post from a different forum. It was 2012, so the 'six years' mentioned is actually nine or more now.}

I've carried a pair of glock 26's in a shoulder rig for nearly six years now. It took tweaking, experimenting and adjusting, but after a lot of annoyance and frustration, finally came up with a setup that works perfect for me. Whether it works for you, I can't say - I'm 6'3", 50 inch chest, 38 inch waist, and 37 inch sleeve; rather oafish. (In all honesty, I'm crowding a 40-inch waist nowadays - sue me, I'm over 50 now.) My setup uses a galco jackass harness combined with pull-thru holsters from survivalsheath. The jackass harness is basically a lighter-weight suede version of the miami classic.

What I didn't mention is that those two glocks are carried under my shirt. I normally wear an XLT shirt, and just wearing an XXLT instead lets me wear that rig undetected. I do make a point to choose shirts carefully; patterns are better than solids and random patterns are better than geometric ones.

Turn around time from survivalsheath is several weeks; I get the impression it's a one-man, part-time thing but can't say for sure. But the end result is very good - adjustable-tension pull-thru holsters much like the old alessi bodyguard series; but without trigger-guard snaps, just tension retention. (Trigger guard snaps would be a bad idea for glocks imo.)

Just two or three months ago I ordered new holster bodies and made up a new rig; this time for kahr cm9's. Being smaller, they allow more leeway in shirt choice. Still love the concept.

Before anyone asks, no I don't think I'm in a John Woo movie and I don't shoot two guns at once. But it's frankly easier to conceal two guns in a shoulder rig than to conceal one; since one on each side is 'balanced' visually than a gun on just one side. It's also easier than with the typical setup of a gun on one side and mags on the other, since two guns are identical in size & shape, and one gun with off-side mags are inherently different.

Whether it's right for anyone else, I can't say; but it's worked phenomenally for me for years now. I sing in churches pretty regularly, including at the state baptist convention this year (I'm LE and in-church carry is legal for me), and so I'm real often on stage in front of people, and never had a detection issue with this setup. The only times I've ever been 'made' has been when someone catches me with a surprise hug; but a hug is likely to catch most any carry method other than pocket or ankle, and the people who I let hug me know I'm liable to be carrying in the first place.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 7:10:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can you define "beat my back up"?
View Quote

Felt like I had been under a hood all day leaning over an engine. Essentially a very sore lower back.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 7:15:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Used one "open carry" while deployed (M9 in a Galco).  Only way to really conceal with one is a relatively heavy & loose jacket.  If you need a CCW "shoulder holster" check out Kangaroo Carry.
View Quote

+1 in a Galco VHS

Damn I hated that thing but it was pretty convenient to throw on for trips to the PX or DFAC.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 7:16:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So ive been considering a shoulder holster. But wanna hear if any memebers have gievn them a try before, and liked or disliked using them. Im thinkinf of a galco lite for either my shield or xdm 3.8 compact
View Quote

What holsters have you tried so far and what didn't you like about them?
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 7:20:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Shoulder holsters have a lot going against them besides flagging yourself and others every time you draw, they are because of that, not allowed for use on ranges, which means you can't train, go to classes, or compete with them.

Training, classes, and competition are how you get good at shooting for self defence.

So effectively, shoulder holsters are nothing more than convenient way to carry a gun.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 8:02:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Shoulder holsters have a lot going against them besides flagging yourself and others every time you draw, they are because of that, not allowed for use on ranges, which means you can't train, go to classes, or compete with them.
View Quote

I attended LFI with that 1911, and that holster.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 8:07:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice on long car trips.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 8:10:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

When?

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 8:12:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
When?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When?  

Quite some time ago.

1985, or so, I think.

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 8:17:41 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Quite some time ago.
1985, or so, I think.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

When?  

Quite some time ago.
1985, or so, I think.

A lot has changed in 30 years. Radically, and for the better.

The state of the art for both style and training would make average shooters now, shoot better than top tier shooters of 1985 (except for of course the naturally gifted mutant robot shooters who are statistical outliers)

Except for fundamentals of marksmanship, much of what was applicable in 1985, has been completely voided by modern practices because it's better, faster, more accurate, safer, easier to train with and for and so on. That includes holsters.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 8:28:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The state of the art for both style and training would make average shooters now, shoot better than top tier shooters of 1985 (except for of course the naturally gifted mutant robot shooters who are statistical outliers)

Except for fundamentals of marksmanship, much of what was applicable in 1985, has been completely voided by modern practices because it's better, faster, more accurate, safer, easier to train with and for and so on. That includes holsters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When?  

Quite some time ago.

1985, or so, I think.

So you're saying the cup and saucer grip or gripping the wrist of your firing hand with your weak hand isn't cool anymore?
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 8:29:11 PM EDT
[#21]
While I too prefer a hip ride, if I'm driving a long way (wife's sister lives on the other side of the state) I'll get out the Bianchi X-15.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 8:29:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

So you're saying the cup and saucer grip or gripping the wrist of your firing hand with your weak hand isn't cool anymore?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
It's making a comeback.

ETA- I was going to practice that in secret, then troll everyone at the local IDPA practice shoots at my home range, never got around to it though.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 8:35:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Never did either, did you?
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 8:36:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Most any young  guy who gets a carry permit ends up buying and playing around with a shoulder holster.

I am convinced about the only folks who end up using them much are police detectives who always wear suit coats or some kind of jacket and
don't really care that most folks who take the time to look can tell they are wearing a gun .

Yeah , I know they work for some folks , but not many
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 9:09:27 PM EDT
[#25]

When I carried my 1911 it was either in a shoulder holster or a pancake high rise belt holster.

Winter time, jackets, the shoulder holster worked fine for me.  My arm/chest is big enough that the 1911 (horizontal holster) was hidden pretty well.  I had to pull the jacket open and go for the 1911 for you to know it was there.  Two magazines in the pouch on the other side attached to the belt.  It worked fine for me.

I no longer carry that way because I don't carry the 1911 anymore.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 11:39:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
...the shoulder holster worked fine for me.  My arm/chest is big enough that the 1911 (horizontal holster) was hidden pretty well.  I had to pull the jacket open and go for the 1911 for you to know it was there...
View Quote

Shhh.... don't tell people that you can actually make shoulder holsters work well. There's been so many negative reports - often by guys who've tried a tanker shoulder holster, a hunting shoulder holster, or a $30 nylon "tactical" shoulder holster - that it's become common knowledge that the species is inherently flawed. Of course, at one time it was 'common knowledge' that .30 carbine rounds bounce off Koreans in winter clothing.

It takes a lot (a LOT) of time, effort, and adjustment to get a well-chosen shoulder holster to conceal well; no way around it. And NO amount of time, effort, and adjustment will make a poorly-chosen shoulder holster conceal well. And fact is, while some shoulder holsters can conceal extremely well, the vast majority of shoulder holsters just don't. Just as with an OWB holster, there are options that conceal well, and options that don't.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:46:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Just bought a Ted Blocker Life Line for my Glock 19. By far the most comfortable and best concealing shoulder holster I have tried.

Granted, I had a cheap South American 1911 shoulder holster and a Galco for my Security six, so we may not be comparing apples to oranges
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:41:20 PM EDT
[#28]
OST.  I picked up an Alessi Bodyguard shoulder holster recently - only used it a couple times so far - but after finagling it for few hours to get it adjusted to my liking, I forget it is there.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 8:13:44 PM EDT
[#29]
I carry in a shoulder holster when riding a motorcycle or when on long car trips and have been doing so for 40 years.

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 11:18:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

I use the Kangaroo Carry with a Springfield XDS and have been rather happy with it.  It even works well with t-shirts.  From my experience, it makes long car rides much more comfortable than  carrying IWB.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 5:16:37 PM EDT
[#31]
I find them pretty useless and bulky.  I rarely wear a coat and you have to train much differently than drawing from an IWB holster.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 6:49:23 PM EDT
[#32]
As you are discovering a controversial issue.  Shoulder rigs are a love/hate sort of thing with little middle ground.  I've tried a bunch of them over the years and can tolerate one or two.  A Bianchi upside revolver rig (like Steve McQueen used in Bullitt) and a Bianchi horizontal rig for my PPK.  I've never found a full size rig I liked.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 7:02:32 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

As you are discovering a controversial issue.  Shoulder rigs are a love/hate sort of thing with little middle ground.  I've tried a bunch of them over the years and can tolerate one or two.  A Bianchi upside revolver rig (like Steve McQueen used in Bullitt) and a Bianchi horizontal rig for my PPK.  I've never found a full size rig I liked.
View Quote
Those are the only ones I like, every once in awhile I snake my Moms Colt Cobra, and that SW inverted holster when I "don't want to carry" but still pack heat.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top