Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2015 6:06:06 PM EDT
Got a job with a railroad. They have a policy against concealed carry or weapon on premises. This is a job that has non-traditional hours and work times, with extensive travel. Im new to the industry. Should I consider deep concealment (SW 36, Bodyguard etc) or am I just paranoid?

I used to work with a convicted felon (Unkown what the charges were, great guy and never had issues) but we also had truckers in and out of the warehouses...I never knew what or who had what intentions or background...You just never know. Id sometimes carry and sometimes not.

My job will also be in a very industrial/downtown area.

Who carries on the railroad? Anyone? I read that the RRPD can authorize carry, but I feel like thats a "Gotta have a legit reason" sort of thing, and even so if they deny Im Effed, and probably wouldn't even let me have it in my truck.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 6:21:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a truck driver Class A Cdl and my company doesn't even allow on property however concealed means concealed. I use to carry a 642 but lately have carrying a Keltec 380 since it's so nice and flat.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 6:25:00 PM EDT
[#2]
If you feel like you need it, carry it. You get caught carrying and you may lose your job. You get caught in a situation where you need your carry piece and you don't have it, you may lose your life.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 6:35:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you feel like you need it, carry it. You get caught carrying and you may lose your job. You get caught in a situation where you need your carry piece and you don't have it, you may lose your life.
View Quote

This is how I feel. I cant afford to get caught. I worked hard for this job and need it to work out. So IF I do carry, it needs to be deeply concealed. I work on a railroad where I am on me feet, moving, and I have little clue what else I'll be doing. I think I can get by with a 38 and some spare mags/speedloaders.

The smallest guns I have are a CZ82 and a 3in J frame. Neither of which fit the bill for deep conceal.

I used to have a S&W 642 but I wasn't a fan, but it looks like I may have little choice. That sucker beat the shit out of my hand, but I used stock grips.

It may also help to know I am 5'8 and 150 lbs. Not a big guy, but my EDC is a full size 1911 or a CZ75B, but of course I will need much smaller.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 6:52:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I live in Maryland so I carry KY Jelly so I can lube my own anus so my rapist doesn't injure himself and sue me
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 7:14:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 8:30:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I have several friends who have their CC permits, and who work for two different railroads.  None of them carry on the job. They've all been on the job for a long time.  

I've suggested they keep it in the bottom of their lunch boxes, or in their grips.  Out of sight - out of mind.  But they see it differently, and in the end, it's their decision.  

Link Posted: 11/8/2015 8:42:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have several friends who have their CC permits, and who work for two different railroads.  None of them carry on the job. They've all been on the job for a long time.  

I've suggested they keep it in the bottom of their lunch boxes, or in their grips.  Out of sight - out of mind.  But they see it differently, and in the end, it's their decision.  

View Quote

The thing that concerns me is the amount of theft that goes on, and I was reading about firearms being stolen. IDK who steals firearms while being unarmed.

It just concerns me. A lot.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 9:11:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I work for a Tier 1 Railroad.  We also have the standard corporate policy of No Guns.

However, show me a maintainer that is working by himself at 2 am in either BFE or an Industiral area that isn't carrying, and I will be rather surprised.

Heck, when I was out west, it wasn't uncommon to see coyote rifles in company trucks, on the clock!  Nobody cared out there, it was part of it.

Like any job, it will all depend on your co-workers and immediate managments' attitude.

Granted, if you do wind up defending yourself and/or your truck full of expensive equipment, you'll get fired straight away, of course.

Link Posted: 11/8/2015 10:02:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I work for a Tier 1 Railroad.  We also have the standard corporate policy of No Guns.

However, show me a maintainer that is working by himself at 2 am in either BFE or an Industiral area that isn't carrying, and I will be rather surprised.

Heck, when I was out west, it wasn't uncommon to see coyote rifles in company trucks, on the clock!  Nobody cared out there, it was part of it.

Like any job, it will all depend on your co-workers and immediate managments' attitude.

Granted, if you do wind up defending yourself and/or your truck full of expensive equipment, you'll get fired straight away, of course.

View Quote

Just wondering...Is there any requirement to report that? I mean, assuming no one is harmed...But if someone attempted to assault me, I pulled a gun, he fled and I lived, I wouldn't say shit. Heck, if a shot got off in that part of town and no one knew the wiser...is there a requirement by law to report? I might not, if theres nothing doing or if nothing would come of it.

Now if theres laws saying I must, or if someone was hit, me them or otherwise, then yea...I fess up and there goes the job.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 10:33:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I think if you discharge your firearm at a person, losing your job should be an okay consequence because you are happy to be alive and not seriously injured.

That's the mantra that I live by with it at least. Come job loss, court date, arrest, conviction, whatever, I should know that I felt like I was doing the right thing at that time or I won't even think about pulling it.

I know, not what you are looking for, but I felt it was worth mentioning.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 10:38:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Their job, their rules. If you really want the job, play by the rules.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 10:48:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hey guys, Im all about following the rules. Heck, Im .mil as well, so I know what following orders means and the consequences if you don't. I also know my protection is my own responsibility.

If anyone has insight and experience in rail yards and can attest to the dangers of such locations and if I will need it, let me know. I just keep reading about firearms shipments being stolen, and a couple shootings near rail yards. I know my rail yards have RR Police, are they 24/7 around the clock?

Also, the head of the RRPD can authorize CC of a weapon in writing. Has anyone ever gone through this process and succeeded??
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 11:21:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Got a job with a railroad. They have a policy against concealed carry or weapon on premises. This is a job that has non-traditional hours and work times, with extensive travel. Im new to the industry. Should I consider deep concealment (SW 36, Bodyguard etc) or am I just paranoid?

I used to work with a convicted felon (Unkown what the charges were, great guy and never had issues) but we also had truckers in and out of the warehouses...I never knew what or who had what intentions or background...You just never know. Id sometimes carry and sometimes not.

Who carries on the railroad? Anyone? I read that the RRPD can authorize carry, but I feel like thats a "Gotta have a legit reason" sort of thing, and even so if they deny Im Effed, and probably wouldn't even let me have it in my truck.

Thoughts?
View Quote

I have an acquaintance who is a drug addiction counselor.  She says that a TON of the dudes she sees are railroad workers.  I asked my neighbor, who has worked the railroad for fifteen years, he said yes, a huge number of the dudes working on the gangs are addicts.  And that the name "gangs" is appropriate in more sense than one.  In fact, when I asked him, he had just had to fire one of his men for showing up tweaking the week before.  He had known that the dude was an addict, and specifically counseled him to tell the company, and the company would pay for his rehab, and pay him time off to get the rehab.  Nope, the dude didn't want rehab, he wanted to keep using.

You may have as much to worry about from your fellow employees as from anyone else.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 11:44:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I have an acquaintance who is a drug addiction counselor.  She says that a TON of the dudes she sees are railroad workers.  I asked my neighbor, who has worked the railroad for fifteen years, he said yes, a huge number of the dudes working on the gangs are addicts.  And that the name "gangs" is appropriate in more sense than one.  In fact, when I asked him, he had just had to fire one of his men for showing up tweaking the week before.  He had known that the dude was an addict, and specifically counseled him to tell the company, and the company would pay for his rehab, and pay him time off to get the rehab.  Nope, the dude didn't want rehab, he wanted to keep using.

You may have as much to worry about from your fellow employees as from anyone else.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thoughts?

Fuck.

The problem with druggies is that if I DID carry, it would have to be DEEPLY concealed to get by at work. That means low caliber, low capacity. That doesn't translate well to certain addicts.

Also, do you mind if I ask what state that was in?
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 12:09:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Nobody carries on the railroad, that would be against the rules.

The first rule of fight club is.....

Refer to rule 4.13a
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 12:28:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Fuck.

The problem with druggies is that if I DID carry, it would have to be DEEPLY concealed to get by at work. That means low caliber, low capacity. That doesn't translate well to certain addicts.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thoughts?

Fuck.

Utah.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 12:39:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Utah.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thoughts?

Fuck.

Utah.

Noted.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 12:43:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Ruger LCP or Kahr CW380. Pocket holster. Can't get much more concealed than that.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 2:10:49 PM EDT
[#19]
I work for large east coast RR, and carry EVERY DAY!  Fuck the RR and their rules!  I go home EVERY night, alive and well!
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 2:42:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I live in Maryland....
View Quote

Thats easy to fix.....but it did take me 40yrs to move.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 5:27:13 PM EDT
[#21]
I put in a stint on Road & Yard Train Crews.  Would your job require U.S. DoT drug screening? That's about as body invasive as the job got for me.
Every damn time I got paired up with a Long haired Engineer his number came up and the entire Train Crew did a random piss cup screening. Work was hauled until the entire crew provided a sample.  I was never patted down for drug screening.
From what I experienced you could have carried but, one quick view on a printing of your carry gun from someone who was "concerned" could easily end your RR career.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 11:18:38 PM EDT
[#22]
carried a Ruger LCP 380 for years in business casual (slacks) and used a hancerchief to go over the holster and gun, I never got caught. My work did not permitt me to carry. I worked with hard core felons every day. If you need it to save your life it was worth loosing your job.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 11:41:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Concealed means concealed but prepare to suffer the consequences if caught.

However i do know quite a few Philly Amtrak employees that pack. Can't say that i blame them.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 8:47:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Being dead is a lot worse than being fired, because you can always get another job can't do the same with your life (pending of course your belief in reincarnation).

My job doesn't allow carry and I abide by that. Of course my job doesn't place me alone, outdoors, at all kinds of hours surrounded by questionable co-workers with high turnover rates.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 12:39:10 AM EDT
[#25]
SW442 is what you want. carry deep cover and apply for a waiver with RRPD. you are in TX, you might get one.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 1:09:28 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Thoughts?
View Quote

What's amazing to me is you got a job with a railroad considering the number of class I T&E employees who are currently furloughed.

Link Posted: 12/3/2015 12:13:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
SW442 is what you want. carry deep cover and apply for a waiver with RRPD. you are in TX, you might get one.
View Quote

I'll be going east coast for this job
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 1:54:54 PM EDT
[#28]
13 years as an Engineer and a Coductor and I've carried all of them. Los Angeles, Phoenix, Dallas, Houston. Lots of train crew carry but like you have been advised, don't ask, don't tell.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 3:10:04 PM EDT
[#29]
10 years as a conductor with a class 1 railroad as well. Carried the whole time. I've worked all over the Midwest, the northwest and the South. The common theme is dont ask, dont tell. Your life is always more important than the job. Railroads are normally located in the worst neighborhoods in America and employees will see all walks of life at one point or another.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 3:30:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The thing that concerns me is the amount of theft that goes on, and I was reading about firearms being stolen. IDK who steals firearms while being unarmed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never carry off body. Deep concealment in a belly band works.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 3:32:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

What they don't know won't hurt him. His job, his life, his chance to take.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 12:32:35 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't know a railroader who doesn't have a gun on him pretty much all the time.  I'm talking conductors and engineers, not track gangs.  And many of the track gang guys are packing at times.  Back in the day the Bauer .25 auto was a favorite.  These days they seem to go for a Ruger LCP or some flavor of snub .38.  The LCP would be EASY to conceal day in and day out.  

Just don't screw up OP.  Railroads love to hire guys just so they can see how long it takes to fire them.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 5:16:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 5:17:00 AM EDT
[#34]
End of the line.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top