Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/25/2015 3:00:41 PM EDT
A short while ago I purchased my first IWB holster, a horsehide Crossbreed Supertuck for a Glock 19.  I'm new to CCW so I'm still at that stage of trying out different things.  If, unlike me, you're an old hat with CCW then you may have forgotten the rather confusing process of trying things out.  Its tricky because you can't just look up some review and pick the best product.  Looks like a lot of this is very specific to an individuals body, their build, their climate, etc.

I was hoping to borrow on your experience and wondering if you might share your opinions and thoughts on the different IWB makers?  Where on your beltline do you carry?  Do you carry a spare mag?  Where & how?  I've been watching YouTube reviews and reading on the net, and I've always found that reviews are one thing....but the opinions of everyday folks who use this stuff everyday has a lot more value.

If you would be so kind, it would be great if you might share your 'build' as well.  I'm a small framed guy...5'6", 130 lbs...athletic build.  I can't pull off AIWB carry due to an injury.  When I open carry an OWB holster on the range or training...I always had it at 3 o'clock.  I've found that I have far more limited options IWB and concealed.  My hip is just too bony to have it at 3 o'clock so I'm wearing more over the back pocket of my jeans to get it tucked out of the way.  So I'm researching crossbreed, alien gear, etc. etc. to find some other options that might be the right option for me.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 3:10:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Theis
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 3:22:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I've only been carrying for ~18 months or so.

I started with a Galco KingTuk for a compact 1911. It was okay but I knew I needed something else. So I took a chance on the AlienGear iwb. Much more comfortable and easier to tuck the shirt around. When I upgraded to a CCO 1911 (Officers' frame fit with a Commander length barrel and slide) I tried the AlienGear v.2. Even more comfortable. I've wearing it since March or April. It's so comfortable that I wore it on a ~1100 mile motorcycle ride through +100* southern Utah in June. The only time I took it off was sleeping and when we jumped in the river to cool off. Despite the high heat of the weekend the holster was never so uncomfortable that I thought I needed to remove it to feel better.

I'm really sold on AlienGear holsters.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 3:56:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Stealth Gear, Alien Gear, and Theis all work great
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 3:58:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I have not tried any of the solid holsters for IWB as I have recently started carrying this way. I use a Sticky holster which fits my G17 and some other full size pistols I own. Very comfortable and I can just take it out and put it away while it is still sheathed in the holster. When drawing the pistol it doesn't stick in the holster, and I can cant the holst or let it ride high or low.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 4:03:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the Garrett Silent Thunder holsters. They are leather lined kydex, very good quality holsters.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 4:38:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Another recommendation for Alien Gear. Have had mine for a year and it's been great. It is starting to get a little worn though. My next holster will be something I can carry with my TLR-1.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 5:14:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I use a Bianchi Model 135 Suppression Hybrid IWB holster. It has a foam backing covered with anti-microbial mesh that is very comfortable in all weather conditions. The foam backing might be more comfortable for you than just a piece of leather.

The other holster I would take a look at is the StealthGear ONYX IWB holster. I've never seen one in person but the backing looks to be similar to the Bianchi so it might also be more comfortable than just a piece of leather.

The Bianchi will run you ~$50 but it's made in Mexico, and the StealthGear ONYX will run you ~$100 and it's made in the USA.

Link Posted: 10/25/2015 6:14:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been digging a Comp-Tac MTAC for my G19.  Granted, I've only had it for a couple of weeks, but it's amazingly comfortable and does a good job of concealing the gun.  

For smaller pistols, I rely on High Noon Holsters, PJ Holsters and Clinger.

I avoid any holster without a clip or loop (unless I'm pocket carrying).
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 7:32:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I have only tried a couple different ones but I'm a huge fan of the Alien Gear holsters. Compared to some brands out there, you can have holsters for 3-4 different firearms vs the cost of other makers.

I will say I was not very impressed with the 2.0 Alien Gear because the backing on mine cracked internally in a bunch of different spots. The original is cheaper and works better in my experience.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 8:24:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Crossbreed Supertuck, or a very good copy of one. 6 years+
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 8:26:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A short while ago I purchased my first IWB holster, a horsehide Crossbreed Supertuck for a Glock 19.  I'm new to CCW so I'm still at that stage of trying out different things.  If, unlike me, you're an old hat with CCW then you may have forgotten the rather confusing process of trying things out.  Its tricky because you can't just look up some review and pick the best product.  Looks like a lot of this is very specific to an individuals body, their build, their climate, etc.

I was hoping to borrow on your experience and wondering if you might share your opinions and thoughts on the different IWB makers?  Where on your beltline do you carry?  Do you carry a spare mag?  Where & how?  I've been watching YouTube reviews and reading on the net, and I've always found that reviews are one thing....but the opinions of everyday folks who use this stuff everyday has a lot more value.

If you would be so kind, it would be great if you might share your 'build' as well.  I'm a small framed guy...5'6", 130 lbs...athletic build.  I can't pull off AIWB carry due to an injury.  When I open carry an OWB holster on the range or training...I always had it at 3 o'clock.  I've found that I have far more limited options IWB and concealed.  My hip is just too bony to have it at 3 o'clock so I'm wearing more over the back pocket of my jeans to get it tucked out of the way.  So I'm researching crossbreed, alien gear, etc. etc. to find some other options that might be the right option for me.

Thanks!
View Quote

I carried a Colt Combat Commander off duty for many years in a simple elk hide iwb holster. I have moved to a Glock 30s with a oswb only because I have gained ten pounds and will not buy a larger size pants. I will lose the weight!
I like the iwb because it holds the pistol much more securely and it sits lower on the belt line. Its nice in the summer time when you can wear a square cut short sleeve shirt and still cover your pistol.
One problem I had was, I had rubber Pachmeyer grips that my shirt would hang up on because they were not slick.
I really liked them, but switched over to wood grips and solved the problem

Link Posted: 10/25/2015 9:14:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

+1 Crossbreed super tuck for multiple firearms. I was in a motorcycle accident 7 years ago with one on and was very impressed. I'm 5'6 and 185 pounds solid
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 1:04:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

+1 Crossbreed super tuck for multiple firearms. I was in a motorcycle accident 7 years ago with one on and was very impressed. I'm 5'6 and 185 pounds solid
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Supertuck is best tuck.  I had to do a little trimming on the bottom of mine due to my body shape and experiment with the clip position.  I carry it about 4:00-4:30 and its comfortable all day.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 3:42:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 4:41:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a few alien gear holsters. They work well but for some reason I'm just not completely sold on them. I'm finding myself liking the INCOG style IWB or AIWB much better. Personal preference i just don't like the super wide backing of some of the super tucks and alien gear ones.

ETA: I'm a lefty so i carry in between 7-8 o'clock on my back usually or AIWB. Spare mag goes in my right front pocket.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 5:44:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Love my TT Gunleather holsters!
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 6:29:02 PM EDT
[#17]
HBE Leatherworks

or Ritchie Gun Leather for leather holsters

Comp-tac CTAC for kydex.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 7:08:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Raven Vanguard 2 advanced.

Nuosu iwb.

T Rex aiwb

Gun Craft aiwb

NSR is pretty decent

JM custom Kydex iwb
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 5:13:25 AM EDT
[#19]
I still prefer the late Bruce Nelson Summer Special design.  Several manufactures make copies of it.

CD
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 8:06:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Comp-Tac MTAC
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 8:45:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Following the buy once, cry once philosophy, a buddy recommended a Milt Sparks versa 2.

Won't buy anything else now.

Txl
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 3:29:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Fist #19. First 10 years with a Kahr K9, then the last 6 years with a Walther PPS.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 4:20:13 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a "raw dog tactical" holster for my 1911 and Glock 19
I am happy with them both.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 4:25:51 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote
This

Link Posted: 10/28/2015 8:50:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Easy one, Crossbreed, and MDJ out of Texas. I have had Sparks, Galco, Incog, and others. For an IWB holster comfort, concealment, and  retention are paramount. I love how many makers paint their holsters or give them flashy colors as a selling point.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 9:02:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Milt Sparks
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 10:38:14 PM EDT
[#27]
I love my Milt Sparks executive companion.  I have been carrying a Kimber Compact CDP in it since 2001.  It is worn but still just as tight.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 8:49:36 AM EDT
[#28]
I tend to prefer the smaller holsters for the compact/subcompact pistols.  PJ Holster & Stealth Gear USA for me.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 10:16:27 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Theis
View Quote

This.  Theis.

Link Posted: 10/29/2015 10:27:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Thanks!
View Quote

In addition to crossbreed and alien gear (both good), look into comp tac.  The mtac is right up there, and is what i used for strong side carry.  I've since switched to appendix with a gcode holster though.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 10:33:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I still prefer the late Bruce Nelson Summer Special design.  Several manufactures make copies of it.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/CZ75_left_side_Bruce_Nelson_rig.jpeg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/CZ75_right_side_Bruce_Nelson_rig.jpeg

CD
View Quote

I have a Galco version of this for my P239. I like it well enough.  

Recently bought an Alien Gear 3.0 for my Glock 19. It's pretty comfortable.

I wear both at 4:30-5:00.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 10:24:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Been carrying for 18 years so have had my fair share to try out. OWB, IWB and ankle. That being said I've only recently gone to kydex. currently using JM custom Kydex and its superior quality and his CS has been second to none in my experience. If leather is your game then the BN is the way to go in my opinion
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 11:51:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Milt Sparks!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 9:58:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Milt Sparks!!!!!!!!!!!
View Quote

I keep coming back to my Milt Sparks Summer Special, even after trying and liking quite a few others. You can't go wrong with Milt Sparks.

Also recently tried out an original IWB Alien Gear. I don't know how well it'll do over time, but its very comfortable (more so than my Crossbreed) and seems to be a hell of a bargain for the price.

Link Posted: 10/30/2015 10:45:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Theis
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 7:06:59 PM EDT
[#36]

Concealment solutions black mamba CE.  I've had it for about 3 months and I love it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 7:13:33 PM EDT
[#37]

Concealment solutions ASP 2.1. Love this one too.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 7:20:52 PM EDT
[#38]

Concealment solutions Cobra OWB. This one I just got in the mail today. It fits very snug to your hip and with a light jacket conceals nicely.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 7:37:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Following the buy once, cry once philosophy, a buddy recommended a Milt Sparks versa 2.

Won't buy anything else now.

Txl
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:00:54 PM EDT
[#40]
JM Custom has been awesome. I have two of their AIWB holsters and they are great.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 9:07:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Crossbreed.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 9:57:01 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h138/HALO20_photos/Arfcom%202/image_1.jpeg

Concealment solutions ASP 2.1. Love this one too.
View Quote

That one's sweet. Though if use it for hip carry not appendix.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:09:25 AM EDT
[#43]
I have been using a CompTac Minotaur for years with my Glock 19.  I've tried a few others but always come back to the Minotaur.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:14:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Have used all the big names and some with wait times. Now I use a local company. Kinetic Concealment. Top notch and priced right.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:13:31 AM EDT
[#45]
TT Gunleather.  
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 12:24:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Kramer, horsehide IWB
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 1:00:40 AM EDT
[#47]
El Paso Saddlery
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 10:13:02 AM EDT
[#48]
I am not small framed (6'3 250) so not sure if my advice is applicable.  I carry a Glock 19 in a gun craft kydex. I had them add the suede on the out side.  Love it. Had several double clip IWB leather and kydex holsters but now just use the gun craft. Not cheap and the wait time is a bit much, but very high quality product.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 12:29:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Just wanted to say thanks to all for the responses.  Excellent advice and options here.  Thanks for sharing them.  This thread will be handy in the future too when I'm looking to try out something different
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 4:21:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Milt Sparks
View Quote

Yep. Get a Milt Sparks Versa Max II and you'll be done with holster experimentation
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top