Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2015 11:30:08 AM EDT
When did appendix carry popularity take off?

Seems like it came out of no where.

Is cross draw next?
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 7:54:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Appendix carry has been around for a very long time.  Some folks just haven't heard about it...what's old is new again.  I think a big part of why Appendix carry became popular again is the influx of well made appendix carry holsters.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 11:00:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the idea, but it seems that you need to be somewhat in shape.. My belly would probably make it uncomfortable...
Eta when I see someone like Haley demonstrate it, of looks great.  In order for me to see my belt I must pull my stomach in with both hands and then thrust my hips forward... Or I can stand in front of the mirror and usually see my belt.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 11:09:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like the idea, but it seems that you need to be somewhat in shape.. My belly would probably make it uncomfortable...
Eta when I see someone like Haley demonstrate it, of looks great.  In order for me to see my belt I must pull my stomach in with both hands and then thrust my hips forward... Or I can stand in front of the mirror and usually see my belt.
View Quote

Appendix carry works better for certain body types.  With that said, I've also seen some bigger guys pull it off as well...
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 12:52:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fatty checking in to say it depends on the gun a lot. I can appendix all day long with my S&W Shield 9mm mainly comfortable. (Sitting down it digs into my belly a bit until I casually "scratch" my belly.) Wearing an undershirt seems to eliminate this mostly. I just bought a G19 today and am thinking hip IWB carry in a King Tuk.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 1:35:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Fatty checking in to say it depends on the gun a lot. I can appendix all day long with my S&W Shield 9mm mainly comfortable. (Sitting down it digs into my belly a bit until I casually "scratch" my belly.) Wearing an undershirt seems to eliminate this mostly. I just bought a G19 today and am thinking hip IWB carry in a King Tuk.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'll want a CrossBreed, super tuck, and carry at about 4-5 o clock, I am a big guy as well. I did not like the king tuk, Glock dug into my side too much. 6'3" 290lbs for comparison.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 7:18:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You'll want a CrossBreed, super tuck, and carry at about 4-5 o clock, I am a big guy as well. I did not like the king tuk, Glock dug into my side too much. 6'3" 290lbs for comparison.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went ahead and took the risk because ot was the best the local gunshop had for the 19. Its comfortable for me I was lying on my bed earlier on my back right on top of the pistol watching TV and it didn't dig in to the point of pain. You have 4 inches and 40lbs on me, so maybe I'm not as thick as I thought.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 12:32:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I carry Glock 19 AIWB all the time and it works great for me.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 2:38:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Appendix carry is "Mexican Carry", renamed for some silly reason!  It's been around as long as handguns themselves.  I've seen old period paintings, with flintlocks being carried this way!  ANYTHING but new!
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 3:29:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Appendix carry is "Mexican Carry", renamed for some silly reason!  It's been around as long as handguns themselves.  I've seen old period paintings, with flintlocks being carried this way!  ANYTHING but new!
View Quote

'Mexican Carry' is a carry without a holster anywhere in the waistband. - Jeff Cooper as I recall.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:38:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm a big guy and carry AIWB almost exclusively due to a shoulder injury. I carry off center closer to my right hip, usually carrying a Glock 1911 or Commander sized 1911. It took some getting used to and adjusting the placement until I found the sweet spot but, I'm happy with it.
I'm using an Incog for the 19 and an off brand kydex for the 1911. It works very well for me.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 1:45:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
usually carrying a Glock 1911 or Commander sized 1911.
View Quote

OMG they actually made one?!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 3:41:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

The proper holster makes a hell of a diff also.
Don't go with any old holster stuffed in your pants....that's the reason 90% of people can't pull it off;
Instead, invest in a good, purpose built holster, such as CCC's "Shaggy", or a JM Custom or Raven Concealment, or even a Zorn Holster.

I just received a CCC Shaggy from Rich, the thing is awesome, and purpose built to thrust the grip of the pistol inward toward your abdomen, eliminating any printing.
I also have the Zorn "Skinny rig", which works well.
Backround:  5'8" tall, just under 200 lb, 36" waist.  I have a bigger chest area, and this also allows shirts to have a drape effect.  Anyone can do it comfortably, provided the proper holster.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:16:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is my weapon and method of carry most of the time unless I'm wearing a suit and then I've got a great OWB holster.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 10:51:00 PM EDT
[#14]
You might take a look at clinger holsters. i have 2 of their stringray model holsters for my shield 9mm and my mod 2 in 45 and i love them. I'm thinking about ordering the atom, which is their reversible aiwb holster, for my shield as well. I also have alien gear 2.0 for my shield but i only ever wear it if i have to tuck in a shirt, to me it's just to wide for such a small gun.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 3:46:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I think that popularity of smaller pistols has made appendix carry more popular.  I can't comfortably appendix carry a pistol with a longer barrel because it digs into the hip when seated.  I don't even notice an LCP carried at 1 o'clock in a Desantis Summer Heat.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 2:36:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I first saw this...

In case I don't imbed correctly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA-xIssgT-o

Then an undercover cop told me about where he kept his gun...
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:23:56 PM EDT
[#17]
I just cannot justify pointing a gun at my junk. Ever. I don't care how many safety features it has or how many people do it.

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:25:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here. I use an Incog and its an incredibly comfortable holster.

AIWB is the most concealable and comfortable for me, but I'm tall and really skinny. When I've tried carrying at 4 o'clock the pistol or holster digs into my kidney and hip.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:27:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I just cannot justify pointing a gun at my junk. Ever. I don't care how many safety features it has or how many people do it.

View Quote

At least for me, my pistol points directly at my femoral artery, and not the family jewels. I'm a glass half full type of guy
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 4:08:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

At least for me, my pistol points directly at my femoral artery, and not the family jewels. I'm a glass half full type of guy
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know this isn't GD....I still thought it worth mention. It's just not for me, but I like the way you think.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 8:58:46 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote
I'm OK with someone carrying a wheelgun or an auto with an exposed hammer AIWB but, yeah I'm kind of there myself and carry strongside IWB. Striker fired guns carried in that position take it to cringe territory for me.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:00:42 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmmm.......live junkless or bleed out and die. I'll take your option as well!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top