Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2015 9:28:40 PM EDT
Need holster/maker recommendations for an M&P with tlr. My current holster is a RCS style paddle holster and works but it has started cracking. It is also worn down by grip tape thus has no retention. The gun will bounce around while running or moving up stairs. And it has slid out the holster at least once while I was prone.

Pistol:
IMG_0005 by Darren Ho, on Flickr

Something in the similar style and space for grip tape.  A cut out for an rmr for future upgrade would be nice. The only conclusion I have so far is for an thumb break of sorts?

Thoughts/advise please

Current ideas:
http://www.wolfhollowtactical.com/products/light-bearing-holsters

and this thumb break assist, skip to 1:00
https://youtu.be/yc8nn2AvCQg?t=1m
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:18:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I use Raven Concealment holsters (not sure if that is what you were referring to by rcs style paddle as I have not seen a paddle option) for my light bearing pistols and am very happy with them.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:36:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't think mine was from Rcs. I remember it referred to as a paddle style/shape and continued using that verbiage. I may have to look into another one I guess.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:49:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Lifetime warranty.

Send it back for a new one.  Ohh... I see, it's a knockoff.

Well, buy real one.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:31:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't really understand how grip tape would cause wear affecting retention.

<edit> Never mind, small pic on phone. I see now that you decided to put grip tape on the slide for some reason. I guess that would do it.
Solution; 1) Buy quality holster to replace the ruined one. 2) Take grip tape off the slide so you don't ruin another holster.

As far as light bearing bolsters go, I'm very happy with my x-concealment M series. Dunno if they could accommodate a RMR, but their customer service is great, and they'll be able to tell you.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:59:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

<edit> Never mind, small pic on phone. I see now that you decided to put grip tape on the slide for some reason. I guess that would do it.
Solution; 1) Buy quality holster to replace the ruined one. 2) Take grip tape off the slide so you don't ruin another holster.

As far as light bearing bolsters go, I'm very happy with my x-concealment M series. Dunno if they could accommodate a RMR, but their customer service is great, and they'll be able to tell you.

View Quote

I have some nerve damage in my left hand thus not letting me rack bare slides. At most, I can do it once. The bare slide just slides (pun intended) along my fingers, grip tape gives a better grip
I usually take em off and replace once every 6 months or so, just to keep em fresh.

Pic of left hand. One of the safer pics.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:32:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I have some nerve damage in my left hand thus not letting me rack bare slides. At most, I can do it once. The bare slide just slides (pun intended) along my fingers, grip tape gives a better grip
I usually take em off and replace once every 6 months or so, just to keep em fresh.

<a href="http://s217.photobucket.com/user/iamboxbear/media/the%20flip/421ad81e.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc19/iamboxbear/the%20flip/421ad81e.jpg</a>
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s217.photobucket.com/user/iamboxbear/media/the%20flip/421ad81e.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc19/iamboxbear/the%20flip/421ad81e.jpg</a>

I see. Sorry for my tone then. X-concealment is really responsive, you might consider calling or emailing and explaining the situation, they might be able to accommodate.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:23:44 PM EDT
[#7]
No worries, it's perfectly understandable. Some people do mods for looks, some need mods to help them
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:32:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
No worries, it's perfectly understandable. Some people do mods for looks, some need mods to help them
View Quote

Maybe look into the rubber grip tapes? Talon does some rubber types, maybe they would work? http://talongungrips.com/other-grips/material/1x4-sheets.html
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:36:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Maybe look into the rubber grip tapes? Talon does some rubber types, maybe they would work? http://talongungrips.com/other-grips/material/1x4-sheets.html
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I persume but I do have a foot long roll of grip tape from Amazon at home. I'll look into it. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:28:25 AM EDT
[#10]
I was thinking about this thread last night, and came back to look at what sights you're running.

Have you looked into the I.C.E. claw rear sight to assist with running the slide, at least in extremis?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:25:09 AM EDT
[#11]
What you need to do is order a custom made holster from a customer holster maker. An off the shelf product will not do.

You will need to measure the width of your slide with the grip tape and let the holster maker know so that they can account for the extra width.

With that said, the primary retention on a light-bearing holster would be on the light, not the slide. However, there is some friction between the slide and the holster which aids in retention.

With your pistol setup like that, you should consider adding a 2nd level of retention, such as a hood, to use when you are running and doing ground drills etc.

I would be glad to try to help you out more. In order to not violate the rules of this forum, please IM me or email me if you want to discuss this any further.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:10:21 PM EDT
[#12]
If you're looking for IWB why not try Comptac?

I have a C-Tac for a 17 with a TLR-1 and I find the retension to be great. Its adjustable, and the belt tightened up against it works well to make it even tighter.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:38:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I have a C-Tac for a 17 with a TLR-1 and I find the retension to be great. Its adjustable, and the belt tightened up against it works well to make it even tighter.
View Quote

Because CompTac won't custom make him a holster that will accommodate this grip tape on the slide...
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:40:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I was thinking about this thread last night, and came back to look at what sights you're running.

Have you looked into the I.C.E. claw rear sight to assist with running the slide, at least in extremis?
View Quote

Not the same but I do have something similar, had to take an updated pic.

IMG_0012 by Darren Ho, on Flickr
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:44:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Because CompTac won't custom make him a holster that will accommodate this grip tape on the slide...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My first holster was a Comptac or similar leather/polymer iwb holster. It was not comfortable and the leather did not work with the tape. The paddle style works for some reason or another
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 10:19:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

My first holster was a Comptac or similar leather/polymer iwb holster. It was not comfortable and the leather did not work with the tape. The paddle style works for some reason or another
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The c-tac is full kydex or whatever plastic they use, no leather. I don't see why it wouldn't work.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 6:43:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The c-tac is full kydex or whatever plastic they use, no leather. I don't see why it wouldn't work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had half the info, holster was a Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 8:39:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Look at alien gear. I just ordered my first AG stuff. Went with the combo deal. People rave about them and the warranty.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 10:54:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Lifetime warranty.

Send it back for a new one.  Ohh... I see, it's a knockoff.

Well, buy real one.
View Quote

This....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top