Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2015 10:57:49 AM EDT
Got a new Mitch Rosen IWB holster and the fit is VERY tight!

They recommend their product, Leather Lightning to improve draw speed without ripping my pants off  LINK

Not that Is expensive ($14 w/shipping) but anyone have any idea What it really is?

Anyone ever use it? Your thoughts?

Loosely related question... While this one is great for conventional RH 2:30 3:00 IWB position! I would like a cross draw (RH) IWB to wear in the 9:00 to 9:30 position with a good forward cant... Suggestions for that?
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 1:37:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't used anything to loosen holsters other than plastic sandwich bags and the gun.

My MS holsters always come in so tight, you can barely draw the weapon.  I put the pistol into a couple of sandwich bags force it into the holster and let it set a few days.

It doesn't cost anything and achieves the desired result.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 3:36:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I haven't used anything to loosen holsters other than plastic sandwich bags and the gun.

My MS holsters always come in so tight, you can barely draw the weapon.  I put the pistol into a couple of sandwich bags force it into the holster and let it set a few days.

It doesn't cost anything and achieves the desired result.
View Quote

This is the way to do it. Alessi and Ritchie recommend this way, too, for tight new holsters. I believe this is referred to as "blocking" the holster. Wax paper can be a good alternative to the sandwich bag.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 1:20:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I had done that with a single layer of Saran Wrap but your right, I need to increase it a few mill.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 1:46:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I've used a bottle of the Leather Lightening on a MR holster and it didn't help at all. I've tried blocking it and drawing several hundred times (with great difficulty) and it is still unuseable. It's the worst holster I've ever had. Sure is pretty though!
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 1:51:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Ive used leather lightning.  They sent me a bottle for free due to a production snafu and it works.  

It is expensive because its a VERY small bottle.  Like the size of a nail polish bottle.  

Id try plastic bags first

Link Posted: 8/16/2015 4:42:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've used a bottle of the Leather Lightening on a MR holster and it didn't help at all. I've tried blocking it and drawing several hundred times (with great difficulty) and it is still unuseable. It's the worst holster I've ever had. Sure is pretty though!
View Quote

That would be really frustrating.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 6:12:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have you called them about it?

I put in my call with in 5 minutes of tearing off my belt loops
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 6:14:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ive used leather lightning.  They sent me a bottle for free due to a production snafu and it works.  

It is expensive because its a VERY small bottle.  Like the size of a nail polish bottle.  

Id try plastic bags first

View Quote

Depends on where you buy your nail polish
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 6:46:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

After trying everything, including two bottles of LL, I called and spoke with Mr. Rosen. He was rude and insulting. I told him I wanted to return the holster for him to check and see if he could do anything to stretch it out a little. He said how much do you want it stretched? I said just enough so it's useable. He replied "enough so it's useable" are not quantifiable terms. I replied, make it so it works.

I sent it in and got it back two weeks later and it still can't be used.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 5:27:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

After trying everything, including two bottles of LL, I called and spoke with Mr. Rosen. He was rude and insulting. I told him I wanted to return the holster for him to check and see if he could do anything to stretch it out a little. He said how much do you want it stretched? I said just enough so it's useable. He replied "enough so it's useable" are not quantifiable terms. I replied, make it so it works.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's bad. I had an Alessi CQC (not S) that was unusable. When I contacted them (and this was after Lou had passed) they gave me a few different things to try (blocking, wax paper, overnight, etc.) and said that if that didn't work, send it to them and they would make it right. I never had to send it to them, but at least they sounded willing.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 5:33:34 AM EDT
[#11]
One other suggestion I'd give about a super tight leather holster. Normal "blocking" the holster overnight was not enough for a super tight holster I had once. It seemed that blocking it made it easy to holster and draw the gun while the holster was not being worn. But when the holster is actually attached to a belt and a body, it pulls the leather in a way that holds onto the pistol even tighter.

So, one weekend when I wasn't going anywhere, I put the unloaded pistol in a couple layers of wax paper, put all that in the holster, and then put the holster on myself with a stiff gun belt, tightened everything up, and wore that whole thing around the house all day. This provided the additional "stretching" that seemed to be needed in order to make the holster work.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 8:30:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
One other suggestion I'd give about a super tight leather holster. Normal "blocking" the holster overnight was not enough for a super tight holster I had once. It seemed that blocking it made it easy to holster and draw the gun while the holster was not being worn. But when the holster is actually attached to a belt and a body, it pulls the leather in a way that holds onto the pistol even tighter.

So, one weekend when I wasn't going anywhere, I put the unloaded pistol in a couple layers of wax paper, put all that in the holster, and then put the holster on myself with a stiff gun belt, tightened everything up, and wore that whole thing around the house all day. This provided the additional "stretching" that seemed to be needed in order to make the holster work.
View Quote

Good idea, Hero. I'll try that.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 3:51:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I would always treat\oil the leather then wear it around the house for awhile let the leather break in and mold to the firearm.  I gave up all leather holsters years ago though.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 3:59:36 PM EDT
[#14]
I used some when I got one of the MR express line holsters. Applied a little on the inside of the holster and boned out the inside with a cheap boning tool I picked up at a hobby shop. Just worked it like that for a few days while watching TV and was able to get the inside as smooth as glass. still tight as hell but it slides out smooth.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 10:11:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I used Leather Lightning on a very tight VMII holster and it worked just fine. I was able to draw my 1911 without pulling my arm out of joint!!!  A few months of use and it was just right!
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 6:09:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks gang!

I will order some and let you know
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:25:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

So, one weekend when I wasn't going anywhere, I put the unloaded pistol in a couple layers of wax paper, put all that in the holster, and then put the holster on myself with a stiff gun belt, tightened everything up, and wore that whole thing around the house all day. This provided the additional "stretching" that seemed to be needed in order to make the holster work .
View Quote

I've used the Leather Lightening and it does make the inside of the holster slick and slippery.  However, it never solved my tight holster problem until I discovered the problem Hero outlines above.  I'm not disappointed in the LL but the real solution was to do as hero did above.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 3:36:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Just wanted to let all of you know.

Got the Leather Lightning yesterday and a fairly small amount rubbed inside with my finger (latex gloved of course) solved all issues

From giving myself a wedgie to a slick draw in 2 dabs... Not bad

I continued to block in multiple layers of plastic while waiting to remember to order it, about a week, but it was still hard to draw.

But I do concede that there are a few holsters out there that are still too tight for this to fix alone.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 5:00:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I've used a similar product, Hyde-Glyde, with good result.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 9:30:00 AM EDT
[#20]
If plastic isn't enough use a sock and force it in the holster. I use a belt and put the holster in a bind to give it that extra clearance.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 1:11:30 PM EDT
[#21]
I also used it on another holster that I had pushed up from a Ruger LC9 to a SIG 250 in .45 ACP... It was OK but there was slight snag in getting it started out of my pocket.

The Leather Lightning also cleared that up in one application

After identifying the likely spots in the holster, I put a dab on one finger and rub it around till it is covering the area of interest well. Same for other spots then a wear check to see if more is needed or I missed a spot...
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 4:48:31 PM EDT
[#22]
This thread caused me to order bottle myself. Used a bit in a couple of my especially tight holsters. I will now say I'm a huge fan of this product. Holsters as fast as kydex, no loss in retention.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top