Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2015 9:08:36 AM EDT
Looking for a shoulder setup and I have abolutely zero experience with them. I am wondering if there is a shoulder setup that I could alternate between two different guns? I would like to carry vertically, and I prefer leather over Kydex as it seems to be easier on the guns. The two different guns that I am interested in carrying (not at the same time) are a 686 with a 4 inch barel, and a full size 1911(no rail). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 10:04:11 AM EDT
[#1]
The only shoulder holster I really have any experience with is the Galco Miami Classic.  You can buy just a replacement holster and a speedloader pouch to replace the holster and magpouch you are using from one gun to another.  But it involves undoing several brass grommets(?) to change out the holster.  When I first bought mine over 20+ years ago, I bought the holster for a 1911/High-power and the holster for my Beretta/645, but it was horizontal carry, not vertical carry.

Very comfortable holster.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 7:35:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I looked at that one, it seems like a nice option, but I would really prefer something vertical. It also seems like it would be difficult to switch out the holster part. Maybe I need to buy two different ones?
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 8:35:43 AM EDT
[#3]
It's not that hard to switch them out.  And I saved over 1/2 the cost by just buying the components instead of a whole different rig.

I've never used one of the vertical ones, but there are several companies that make them.  Just dig around a bit. Usually the vertical rigs are for the bigger guns like Desert Eagles, 6 inch revolvers, or stuff like that.  Most of the others are going to be horizontal.

Link Posted: 7/14/2015 8:47:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Galco has a vertical shoulder system as well.  I've got one for a 1911...that I don't wear as much as I thought I would.  
CHRIS
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 12:27:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Can I ask why you don't use it very often? Is there a better way to tote around a full size handgun? No open carry in my state
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 12:48:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Question wasn't directed at me, but I don't use mine as much as I thought I would either, but basically it just sucks to have to wear a jacket everywhere you go.

When I lived in San Diego it was easier, because a light weight jacket or zip-up was easy to wear everywhere.  Here in Texas, the weather is a bit more extreme.  But even when it's jacket weather, you go places where it's heated inside and the jacket wants to come off, which doesn't happen while wearing a shoulder rig.

While wearing OWB or IWB and concealed with a shirt or tuckable holster, then you can still take off the jacket and do whatever you want.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 1:56:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I got it to wear around the farm on the tractors or my 4-wheeler.  I ended up going with a ram mount setup for the 4-wheeler and strap a holster in the tractors.  

It is a comfortable holster but I usually go with a basic OWB paddle when I CCW.  

CHRIS
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 11:04:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Shoulder holsters are an odd topic.  Many people think they want one, until they actually use it.  Of all the folks I know that conceal carry (both LEO and non) only one uses a shoulder rig with any consistency and that's due to ortho issues more than anything else.  I've tried them over the years and have only found one or two that I have any use for and neither are for a full size pistol.  

Shoulder rigs seem to one area where you have to go big or go home.  Cheap shoulder rigs just don't work.  Expect to pay upwards of $200, especially if you want leather.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 11:17:17 AM EDT
[#9]
The Miami Classic is what you want; you can buy separate holsters/mag carriers according to the weapons that you may own and you can either choose vertical or horizontal carry (I would use horizontal carry).

The history of the shoulder rig is interesting; it was originally made as a custom rig for actor Don Johnson for the "Miami Vice" TV series, using the layout of the "Jackass" rig, designed for the Chicago PD, 14 years earlier...

The first custom-made Jackass rigs began service in 1970 with officers of the Chicago Police Department, whose input helped Rick Gallagher develop and refine the earliest generations of Galco holsters. It was the Jackass Rig that popularized horizontal carry and originated the silhouetted (cut-off end) shoulder holster. In the early 1970’s polymer swivel connectors were introduced as a refinement to the Spider harness and holster. In this period the Jackass rig was advertised in Shooting Times magazine and written about by Dick Metcalf in the same magazine.

Hollywood recognized the dramatic appearance of this product and helped to give it the celebrity status it enjoys today. The Jackass rig worn in the 1981 James Caan film Thief documents the evolution of the Jackass rig and the fact that Michael Mann Productions was using it in Hollywood at that time. However, by the time that same production company was developing a television series starring Don Johnson, Property Master Charlie Guanci was unable to contact us. In 1980, Jackass Leather had changed its name to Galco International, Ltd. and, in 1983, had moved from Chicago to Phoenix.
View Quote

http://www.galcogunleather.com/about-miami-classic.html
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 9:41:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Both of these comments sum up the situation pretty well.

“Many people think they want one, until they actually use it.”

“…it sucks to wear a jacket everywhere you go.”

And to paraphrase another arfcommer who once said (on a different topic);  “I feel like I’m tied up in the middle of a fishing knot.”….This also applies to shoulder holsters.

Shoulder holsters are really a specialty item.  They are the answer for certain situations.
1) You are a plainclothes cop/FBI/Secret Service and wear a suit and tie all day long.
2) You spend MANY hours seated in a car.
3) You live in a cool/cold weather climate and spend almost all day outside.
4) You are starring in a Hollywood movie and the director wants his cameraman to be easily able to frame you and the weapon up in close-up/head and torso shots.

Because of Steve McQueen/Don Johnson/Bruce Willis (and others), they score massive points on “coolness”, but they aren’t comfortable or all that practical for most people who ccw.

When it is very cold, they can be layered under a bulky cardigan under a jacket and then one can remove the jacket and still wear the cardigan and still conceal the weapon (I have actually done this, even at work where it is chilly inside).

I have one and I DO use it……..5% of the time.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 6:00:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Appreciate all the input, maybe I just shouldn't carry "large" guns when I'm out and about. I would still like to though.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 10:59:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Looking for a shoulder setup and I have abolutely zero experience with them. I am wondering if there is a shoulder setup that I could alternate between two different guns? I would like to carry vertically, and I prefer leather over Kydex as it seems to be easier on the guns. The two different guns that I am interested in carrying (not at the same time) are a 686 with a 4 inch barel, and a full size 1911(no rail). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
View Quote

Kydex usually tends to wear in particular spots but leather is much worse for over all finish.  Just saying.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 6:42:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I had a galco vertical shoulder holster for my 226 that I boughtas a bump in the night rig. it was nice to grab 54 rounds and not need a belt when im in my shorts.

The vertical setup was floppy and prit near impossible to conceal. I can conceal a 226 with a tshirt with a good holster.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 11:40:26 PM EDT
[#14]

I'm a very happy shoulder holster user. My EDC weapon is a RIA 1911 Commander .45, I just could not find a holster that was comfortable on my hip.
The biggest problem was driving , I just could not make it work, the weapon was captured by the seat belt it also dug into my hip and leg. After much thought
I decided to try a shoulder rig, I bought a $12.00 nylon horizontal shoulder holster just to try the concept out, it worked out perfectly no more hip or leg discomfort
and I had access with the seat belt fastened. During my search for a quality leather shoulder holster, I saw an ad for a used leather Miami classic style rig for $40.00
and took a chance. It turned out to be just what I was looking for ,it also included a two pocket mag carrier on the opposite side. I couldn't find a mfgr. name on it but
it's very comfortable and has never let me down. That 1911 fits very well under my left arm and is totally out of the way, the twin mag carrier balances well on the other side.
 Now I'm a happy delivery guy!

................................................  Jack
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 12:27:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shoulder holsters are an odd topic.  Many people think they want one, until they actually use it...  

...I've tried them over the years and have only found one or two that I have any use for and neither are for a full size pistol.  

Shoulder rigs seem to one area where you have to go big or go home.  Cheap shoulder rigs just don't work.  Expect to pay upwards of $200, especially if you want leather.
View Quote

Agree with pretty much all the above. I actually use a shoulder rig fairly regularly, but for small guns like CM9 and G26. I used to use them for guns up to 1911 and L-frame, but not anymore.

A huge +1 about "don't buy cheap". I've tried them from pretty much every part of the price spectrum, and the lesson is simple - the cheap stuff will make you either hate them or make you keep buying new ones looking for something better. I really like galco's "Jackass" rig and Ken Null's stuff. My two most-used ones are actually SurvivalSheath pull-thru's, but their harnesses have been changed out to Jackass harnesses. With the kydex pull-thru holster bodies on the thin, flexible Jackass harness, I regularly conceal a pair of small guns under a tucked-in, one-size-large shirt; which allows dressing in a completely "I'm not carrying a gun" way as far as anyone can tell.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 5:13:20 PM EDT
[#16]
As the two above post indicate I am also very happy with my shoulder rig a  Galco Miami Classic.....once you get used to it you hardly know it's there.   do not buy a cheap one with velcro adjustments, they're horrible....been there done that.  cold weather is a piece of cake....warm weather is a little harder, but not hard enough to make me go back to belt  or IWB carry. like most I have a desk drawer full of holsters that I no longer use. what works for me in southeast summers is shorts with a tucked t shirt and a Hawaiian print shirt with 1 or 2 buttons buttoned.  I know it sounds weird to specify a pattern for a shirt but over the years, I've had friends   comment on "printing" with a solid color shirt, the pattern seem to confuse the eye for some reason.....ymmv.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 12:33:12 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a miami classic and classic II I perfer the wider straps of the II. I don't use it a ton mostly when I am driving long distance in the car as it is more comfortable and easier to get to for me. I also carry a 1911 hunting since I wear bibs, often times, other carry options are out of the question. Don't go cheap I have an uncle mikes I got cheap at the LGS it works but not very comfortable and looks like crap. If you plan to carry a heavier weapon like the 1911 I suggest the the Miami Classic II due to the wider straps.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 11:03:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:...it sounds weird to specify a pattern for a shirt but over the years, I've had friends   comment on "printing" with a solid color shirt, the pattern seem to confuse the eye for some reason.....ymmv.
View Quote

Major +1, should have mentioned that myself. A random pattern (woodland, large paisley, hawaiian) conceals better than a geometric pattern (checks, straight stripes), and a solid color conceals worst of all. I'm generally wearing under a completely buttoned-up shirt, and the random patterns conceal much better. Also, fabrics with some 'body' to them, rather than clingy, soft ones; they help even out and hide the presence of the guns underneath.

Basically anything to distract the eye. A pen in the pocket (or a B&D executive edge as I carry) adds distraction or camouflage as well. Sounds stupid I know, but it's observed personal experience over years of carrying this way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top