Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2015 8:11:58 PM EDT
Hello all. I just recently completed the class. I have a G19 on order that will be my primary piece. Looking for recommendations for both. I am 5ft 10in, and 150-155lbs. Thinking about IWB. Any help is appreciated thanks.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 9:45:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Leather or kydex?

Leather or nylon?
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 9:57:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 12:43:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Do not, repeat do NOT, skimp on your belt or holster, OP.

I am NOT saying buy a $300.00 belt or holster, but buy a REAL gun belt and a GOOD holster. Anything else will beat your ass to death,
sag, stretch, roll, flex, collapse and otherwise make your life miserable, not to mention unsafe.

I can comfortably carry my big-ass 5" steel 1911 with my Blackhawk!  Kydex-lined Instructor's belt and Old Faithful hybrid OWB. Less than $100.00
and I trust my life to it. I finally went with an Instructor's belt because of weight loss (yay me!) and all I have to do is cinch it tighter. Before hand I wore
a Wild Bill's gunbelt; GREAT belt @ $54.00. That what my Instructor's belt cost, too.

Don't skimp! That is the single hardest point I struggle to make with my new-to-CCW friends (and I don't think I've made it with some of them).

There's great products out there, OP. Be prepared to eventually get several holsters, to fit your wardrobe. No, I'm not kidding.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 12:51:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do not, repeat do NOT, skimp on your belt or holster, OP.

I am NOT saying buy a $300.00 belt or holster, but buy a REAL gun belt and a GOOD holster. Anything else will beat your ass to death,
sag, stretch, roll, flex, collapse and otherwise make your life miserable, not to mention unsafe.

I can comfortably carry my big-ass 5" steel 1911 with my Blackhawk!  Kydex-lined Instructor's belt and Old Faithful hybrid OWB. Less than $100.00
and I trust my life to it. I finally went with an Instructor's belt because of weight loss (yay me!) and all I have to do is cinch it tighter. Before hand I wore
a Wild Bill's gunbelt; GREAT belt @ $54.00. That what my Instructor's belt cost, too.

Don't skimp! That is the single hardest point I struggle to make with my new-to-CCW friends (and I don't think I've made it with some of them).

There's great products out there, OP. Be prepared to eventually get several holsters, to fit your wardrobe. No, I'm not kidding.
View Quote

Yep, a real gun belt makes an amazing difference. Do not use a regular dress belt. They suck for guns! I like blade tech eclipse for OWB and crossbreed for IWB.

I plan on getting a few more crossbreed for my other ccw guns as well as some blade tech eclipse as well.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 1:07:26 PM EDT
[#5]
The two belts below are my favorites.

Ares Ranger Belt $95

SOE EDC belt $65

I carry in Bravo Concealment holsters currently but we have tons of excellent choices currently. Just to name a few,

Bravo Concealment

Raven Concealment

Off the grid concepts

Like the others said buy quality, may cost more but its worth it. Good Luck!

EDIT: I forgot to mention kydex contacting skin can be uncomfortable for some people depending on your body type and how you dress it may or may not be an issue. If you think that may be an issue consider hybrid holsters, they are kydex covered in leather or another material to make it less abrasive on your skin.

Link Posted: 6/13/2015 1:32:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies all. I don't have a specific budget in mind. I have absolutely no qualms about spending money on something that I might have to use to defend my life. I'm about to pull the trigger on 500rds of 9mm HST

As for leather or kydex or nylon, give me pros and cons. I've never bought a holster or belt other than a dress belt for my regular outfit. I looked a little bit in the belt thread.

The Ares Aegis belt looks pretty good. Doesn't immediately say "GUN BELT". Don't know why I need a melonite buckle lol but I like it better than stainless. My brain doesn't compute the sizing with it though, I'm a 32in waist (closer to 31in) and I'd want no more than 6in of tail overlapping. Any ideas what length I should look at?
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 2:00:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Leather vs Nylon in a belt really comes down to do you want it to look like a dress belt or a gun belt both will be very rigid and stiff. A well made leather belt will last a life time just like a well made nylon belt.

Leather vs Kydex in a holster is subjective. Kydex maintains its form better when the gun is out so it is easier to holster one handed or when moving a cover garment out of the way. Kydex also has more positive weapon retention in my experiences, since the gun literally clicks into place. Leather holsters feel better on the skin and are less abrasive. If you are the kind of person to care about this kind of thing either one will eventually mess up the finish on your gun after drawing and re holstering a ton, just comes with the territory.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 9:10:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Will kydex holsters ever lose their retention from warping or sagging? Or just crack from use and time? Obviously they are less maintenance intensive than leather right? No need to worry about sweat drying it out.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 11:00:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I suggest for IWB a hybrid holster kydex out and leather or other softer material in.  Comp-Tac, Alien Gear.  Also all kydex wrapped in soft materials are good options Bravo Concealment, Raven Gear.

Belt buy a good belt the first time.  Ares Gear (Aegis or Ranger belt), Wilderness

Spare mag carrier will be more up to you if you want kydex or leather.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 11:01:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Will kydex holsters ever lose their retention from warping or sagging? Or just crack from use and time? Obviously they are less maintenance intensive than leather right? No need to worry about sweat drying it out.
View Quote

The thicker .08 will last quite a while.  The thin stuff not so much it flexes and has a higher tendency to crack.  Leather still offers better comfort against soft tissue but you have to treat your leather.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 1:00:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote

Not unless you over heat them, like to 200°F+

They can crack, but this a rare under normal use.

Way less maintenance. Just hose it out with water and dry (Optional: rub the inside with car wax)

Sweat can not hurt it.

Check out the holsters that I make

This one is a tuckable IWB, Kydex, wrapped in synthetic microsuede

Link Posted: 6/15/2015 2:28:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Wilderness Tactical Instructors belt and a Comp-Tac MTAC.    
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 11:55:30 AM EDT
[#13]
For a casual-look belt, a Wildnerness Instructor's 5-Stitch is an excellent choice.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 12:06:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm roughly your size…slightly smaller: 5' 9", 145lbs.

Crossbreed's Super Tuck and Bullhide's 1 1/2" Dress belt ( http://www.bullhidebelts.com/Rich-Brown-Smooth-Bullhide-Dress-Leather-Belt_p_185.html ) work very well with my G26.

What works even better in hot weather w/shorts is my G42 and a Crossbreed Mini Tuck (same belt).
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 1:23:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
For a casual-look belt, a Wildnerness Instructor's 5-Stitch is an excellent choice.
View Quote

This and half the cost of anything with the blingy Cobra buckle.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 4:48:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Belts ,
Leather : the beltman
Webbing : Ares ranger

Holsters ,
IWB :
Milt Sparks SS2
OWB :
Raven Concealment

This is what has worked for me but I'm new to CCL game living in Chicago. I read reviews here & everywhere I could & asked people & now have a few horsehide belts from the beltman , a few different colors scuba webbing ranger belts from Ares

A few IWB leather holsters from Milt Sparks & a few Kydex holsters from Raven concealment & couldn't be happier with my purchases.

Pep
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 4:54:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Wilderness instructor belt 5 stitch, raven phantom with IWB soft loops AND OWB loops. You'll be golden for multiple carry methods with just 1 rig.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 4:58:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Lots of great responses. Thank you all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top