Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2015 4:13:43 AM EDT
I have both a comptac mtac and a raven phantom for a g19. I need to wear an untucked polo shirt, and don't have any flexibility in that.

The Mtac is nice, but the biggest problem I have with it is the belt clips slip off the belt and I have to constantly check or readjust it. I spend a lot of time sitting in, then getting in and out of vehicles. This happens with stiff and less stiff 1.5" belts. I've even almost accidentally dumped the pistol getting out of a vehicle.

The raven phantom attaches the best, with the soft iwb pull dot snap loops, but the actual holster just sits too high and it prints too much for comfort. The hard kydex also doesn't feel very comfortable in a car seat for 8-12 hours. I ordered an additional tuckable iwb loop set, which makes it sit lower, but there was just too much shit going on connecting to the belt.

I'm looking for a production model kydex holster, one I'm not going to need wait eight weeks for. What are some options that address the shortcomings of the Mtac and the phantom?
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 5:21:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Man, I've been through a lot of IWB holsters and I always keep coming back to the CTAC (not a big fan of the MTAC).

It seems weird that your MTAC is moving around as much as you're describing. Are you tightening your belt enough? What kind of belt(s) have you tried?

With either a Wilderness Instructor's belt or a Beltman leather belt, tightened to my waist, I've never had an IWB holster move around like that (or come off!).
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 5:51:54 AM EDT
[#2]
It's not so much that it's moving, mostly just coming unhooked. I've tried a stiff soe belt, a less stiff 5.11 , and regular dress belts. It's tight enough, but for some reason that front loop likes to come unhooked. A perfect solution would be the raven pull dot soft loops on the mtac, but the heights don't work out.

I'm willing to try another brand or style.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 7:17:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I've found that if the belt is thin enough (regardless of stiffness), the Comp-Tac standard clips may want to come off the belt. They stay on thick belts very well (IME). What about C-Clips for your MTAC?

As for other IWB holsters, I like the CCC (Custom Carry Concepts) Quick Cover, with whatever mounting option you prefer. I like the FBI cant with the standard outrigger clip.

Link Posted: 6/2/2015 11:35:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I absolutely hate the mtac holsters...

A harwell protuck is what you seek, they ship really fast and I love mine. I have owned it for years and I originally got the "comfort" cut and later gave it a "combat" cut.

I have been carrying my m&p9c lately in the mtac and it is less comfortable than the g19 in the protuck.

Link Posted: 6/3/2015 2:12:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Part of me wants to try some of the knife/holster kit soft loops to see if I can get longer loops, or possibly even drill into the raven to get it to sit lower. The raven, I feel, is a better made product, and I just don't want to think twice about which belt I'm wearing for the holster to stay attached. Bravo concealment is always another option as well, I just don't want to spend the money and wait only to find it has the same height issues as the raven.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 9:53:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I absolutely hate the mtac holsters...

A harwell protuck is what you seek, they ship really fast and I love mine. I have owned it for years and I originally got the "comfort" cut and later gave it a "combat" cut.

I have been carrying my m&p9c lately in the mtac and it is less comfortable than the g19 in the protuck.

<a href="http://s938.photobucket.com/user/sickmak90/media/65829A9F-7046-4EC3-9DC2-FDE9C74C5A42_zpselakiuvd.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad227/sickmak90/65829A9F-7046-4EC3-9DC2-FDE9C74C5A42_zpselakiuvd.jpg</a>
View Quote

M-Tac takes some degree of break in and the leather they use is somewhat stiff.  I also found treating the leather with a leather treatment drastically helps with the break in and the feel of the leather it helps it soften up.

ETA my G19 took a good amount of break in but now it is as comfortable as my P7\PPS that I have M-Tac's for.  The PPS was by far the easiest to break in though.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 2:26:54 PM EDT
[#7]
What about something like this?

It is a Kydex holster with microsuede laminated to the outside.

Adjustable for ride height and cant.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 3:16:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Or maybe you prefer dual loops?

Either way, the height is adjustable to the point of getting the entire front strap behind your belt.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 4:16:12 PM EDT
[#9]
NSR Tactical has awesome holsters, either kydex or leather lined kydex. I have an all kydex one plus spare mag, for my G19, and love it.

NSR Tactical
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 4:50:36 PM EDT
[#10]
This is what I finally settled on and highly recommend it...

Gould & Goodrich
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 10:22:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Comfortable, quality holsters tend to have a wait time. I don't like it, but in two months I'll have my JM Custom IWB3 about the beginning of August.

I get my "George" AIWB for my G19 tomorrow. So excited!
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 2:06:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Why not just contact raven and ask for a custom made phantom that sits lower or try out the eidolon which has a staggering number of adjustments?
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 1:49:22 AM EDT
[#13]
I had a phantom copy for my g19. Same problems- the loops themselves rode to high and the wings and struts just were too much.

Bought an lag tactical defender with iwb clips.  I don't even know it's on and I adjusted it to ride at just the right height. Best holster I've ever owned.

http://www.lagtactical.com/the-defender-iwb-owb/
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 9:19:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I had a phantom copy for my g19. Same problems- the loops themselves rode to high and the wings and struts just were too much.

Bought an lag tactical defender with iwb clips.  I don't even know it's on and I adjusted it to ride at just the right height. Best holster I've ever owned.

View Quote

Belt clips made from Kydex are not ideal... inspect them regularly and replace as soon as you see any signs of stress from repeated flexing.

Link Posted: 6/6/2015 9:21:17 AM EDT
[#15]
BTW, I get how you guys think that Raven rides too high when IWB...

However, You can just add a strut to make it rider lower, no wing needed.

you just use the hardware from your OWB loops to attach the strut. It has multiple adjustments for height.

Link Posted: 6/11/2015 2:34:15 AM EDT
[#16]
I've been using the G17 model RCS Eidolon for my G19.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 3:45:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Check Old Faithful Holsters or Concealment Express.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 2:58:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Belt clips made from Kydex are not ideal... inspect them regularly and replace as soon as you see any signs of stress from repeated flexing.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just to set the record straight- lag tactical  uses injection molded and not kydex clips.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 6:53:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Just to set the record straight- lag tactical  uses injection molded and not kydex clips.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The should update the photos on their webpage then, because these are clearly made from Kydex....

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 9:22:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here. I use only one clip. Makes it easy to take off, especially if your driving that long or cant if it's uncomfortable.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 12:19:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The should update the photos on their webpage then, because these are clearly made from Kydex....

http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server5100/b1ee0/products/41/images/370/L_021__89452.1405401360.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server5100/b1ee0/products/41/images/370/L_021__89452.1405401360.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

Won't argue that fact  - but mine are injection molded.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 12:20:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Won't argue that fact  - but mine are injection molded.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 12:24:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah. It's a great holster for many positions.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 4:39:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Get the chance clips for your mtac. They won't slip off.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top