Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2015 5:48:47 PM EDT
I deliver equipment to long term care facilities, which means most of my day consists of me driving around in a van, usually without AC.
The rest of the time is mostly some moderate-to-heavy lifting interspersed with me rolling around on the ground under hospital beds and such.
I know that IWB is the ideal carry method, but I don't see it working for me, unless I just downgrade to a really small gun or something.
OWB is pretty much out of the question since some admin or DON would freak if anyone in the home saw me carrying (and also the police would probably get called).

For the last few months I've carried my ccw in a shoulder bag that also houses all the various tools and instruments that I use daily.
Off-body carry is the most convenient for me now, but I know a lot of people consider it basically verboten.
Alternatives?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:00:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Sitting and driving I have found that an ankle holster and a compact weapon serve me best. But to be honest I carry my G26 iwb everyday and after a while I don't even notice it there even while driving. The ankle holster allows for a faster draw while seated IMHO.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:07:08 PM EDT
[#2]
SmartCarry.com
I carry an H&K USP40C in one.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:29:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Pocket carry is really comfortable while driving. Off body won't do you much good if you're out of the truck without the bag. Sorry, what gun(s) do you carry?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:35:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pocket carry is really comfortable while driving. Off body won't do you much good if you're out of the truck without the bag. Sorry, what gun(s) do you carry?
View Quote

9mm Millennium G2.

It's small, but not a pocket gun for sure.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 5:17:32 AM EDT
[#5]
S&W J-frame snub revolver........
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:11:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Mexican carry.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:58:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I could almost forget about my Hi Power riding in a Fobus paddle holster while driving.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:06:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Personally, I would only carry a firearm on my person, not in a bag.  You won't hurt the gun or holster if you roll onto it, although it may be uncomfortable.

People who spend alot of time in a vehicle sometimes mount a holster in the vehicle or place the gun/holster in a secure place in the vehicle when they first enter it.  Since the gun is then not on my person, I don't like this idea.  

You could carry a 2nd, smaller handgun in an ankle holster (to provide better access when sitting in the van), but I don't like ankle carry for my primary gun.  An ankle holster is also more likely to be revealed when crawling on the floor than an IWB or OWB carry.

I generally don't spend much time in a vehicle, but when I do, I have easy access to an edged weapon.  I have an ESSE 3 fixed 3 inch blade which attaches to the seat belt.  A car-jacking is likely to come through the driver side window, and an edged weapon works well with a close-contact attack.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:15:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I mounted a holster to the side of my center console to use while driving. I found it tough to draw from concealment while sitting in a seat.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:45:26 PM EDT
[#10]
The tacticool kids might make fun but it sits comfortably in your lap on top of the seat belt. Instant access when you're sitting, standing, squatting, lying down or whatever. I've worn  it in a lot of places that have no gun signs over the years. Even Disney World and nobody has ever questioned.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:48:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I carry at 3 oclock while driving.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:29:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The tacticool kids might make fun but it sits comfortably in your lap on top of the seat belt. Instant access when you're sitting, standing, squatting, lying down or whatever. I've worn  it in a lot of places that have no gun signs over the years. Even Disney World and nobody has ever questioned.

<a href="http://s1252.photobucket.com/user/ztug/media/20150424_144010_zpsb50akwdn.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh564/ztug/20150424_144010_zpsb50akwdn.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s1252.photobucket.com/user/ztug/media/20150424_143701_zpse1mpg3hg.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh564/ztug/20150424_143701_zpse1mpg3hg.jpg</a>
View Quote

This actually seems like a great idea. On body but can be removed when rolling around on the ground.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:18:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm afraid to ask for advice on carrying a fanny pack on AR15.... lol
So, I've heard good things about Tommy's Gun Packs but they seem expensive!
I  might actually try a waist pack, any recommendations?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:28:56 PM EDT
[#14]
inexpensive to try, and open well as they have a couple of button snaps on each side of the Velcro strip to allow the rip open pouch to billow are the Uncle Mikes Gunrunner pouches... I did not use a dedicated holster covering the trigger, so did not keep my autos charged... the medium bag  did not look out of place, but required the G23 to be carried upside down... the JanSport is my current method as it allows some additional kit to be carried, along with a pretty good trauma pack... works for me YMMV

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:37:11 AM EDT
[#15]
I will say that AIWB or SmartCarry can be problematic if lifting stuff, as the gun can get in the way or press painfully against you. I carried an LC9 (smaller than yours) AIWB while helping my dad move and it sucked so much I locked it in the car.

A fannypack could work, since you can move it to the side if you have to.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:38:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I carry at 3 oclock while driving.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 11:34:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I know that they aren't popular anymore for some very good reasons, but depending on wardrobe, a shoulder holster might be good. Also, look at a belly band.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 12:21:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Kahr CM9 AIWB works best for me doing somewhat similar activities to what you describe.  M&P9c is too big for me to carry in that location, and my preferred location of 4:00 IWB is just too prone to printing and exposure for environments where reliable concealment is a top priority.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 12:15:50 AM EDT
[#19]
I like an ankle rig best, I've carried a Glock 27 in a Desantis for years and I just did get my first shoulder harness (Galco Miami Classic/ Sig p226) about a month ago and I like it very much also.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 7:22:51 AM EDT
[#20]
All I can say is that small, comfortable, pocket, ankle, SOB will all get get you killed when you are a sitting duck strapped into a death chamber.

I'll wear my flame suit for the responses.

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 9:32:07 PM EDT
[#21]
On your off time experiment until you find what works for you- expect to end up with a box of holsters that did not work out and to have practiced thousands of draws until you decide what works for you. This is the only real answer
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 2:12:17 PM EDT
[#22]

My preference for driving is a Miami Classic shoulder rig, I carry a 1911 commander, 4.25" with out any discomfort. It's easy to get to, under my left arm with two spare mags
on the right side. I wear a Carhart vest over it and when out of the truck I just snap the bottom snap to keep it totally concealed.  Having a weapon on my hip while  driving
just doesn't  work for me at all.

.............................  Jack
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 3:49:15 PM EDT
[#23]
OP, a small single stack 9mm  AIWB should work for you.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 3:39:42 AM EDT
[#24]
AIWB is how i carry, and it works well for me. Especially since you drive a good bit, it is a very easy and natural draw, just take care to place the seatbelt to where it wont affect drawing of the weapon if you had to. It is also very comfortable working around the house, or even getting down on the floor to get to things. As far as rolling around on the ground at work, you should be fine as ive done prone drills at the range with mine.

The only downside to AIWB for me personally, is bending over at the waist without bending your legs enough that the butt of the gun digs into your stomach pretty badly (like tying your shoes or picking something up off of the floor). This is easily fixed by bending the knees and crouching to do whatever you need to.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:35:05 PM EDT
[#25]
I been carrying a taurus tcp in front pocket holster. It comfortable I dont really even notice it. Summers are hot here I don't want to carry a big gun all the time.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:43:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Aiwb.

There's also those outdoor style holsters where the gun sits just above your solar plexus.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:33:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Pocket carry a j frame
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:19:04 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Pocket carry a j frame
View Quote

That's what I am doing right now, and what I do when at home or just making a quick trip when I don't have my 1911 on my belt already.

With a trigger job and the right loads a J frame is pretty easy to shoot if you are used to a double action trigger. Dry fire practice can help there.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 4:58:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Depending on what you have pocket carry or AIWB.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:56:39 AM EDT
[#30]
AIWB.  I fail to see how any other method is viable from a seated and belted in position.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top