Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2015 4:33:19 PM EDT
I recently got my permit at the beginning of Dec and have been carrying everywhere possible since

Before I received my permit I purchased and wore a supertuck to get comfortable. I love this holster, it's comfortable and conceals well

Recently however it loosened so much that the safety clicked off. Didn't realize that was the problem but it started doing it every time I wore it. I watched the video on changing the retention and have done it but I'm concerned about why it happened in the first place. The only thing I can think is that since I am a very warm person the kydex got warm and the gun moving loosened it.

I started looking into other holsters but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem.I've been looking at holsters from stealthgear and the icog. I've also considered alien gear due to their retention

I don't want to give up on the supertuck but I've lost some confidence

What say you to a carry newbie?
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 5:43:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Greetings from Bensenville, currently wearing a mini tuck with shield. The retention on mine has gotten considerably more loose as well. When it first came home the gun would stay when you turned the holster up side down, now not so much. The hybrid holsters are very comfy but the kydex is becoming a turn off for me. Companies like garret have kydex shells that are leather lined and also have an adjustment screw. Excellent hold on the gun. I actually just got a silent thunder for my mp9 I have yet to wear

What gun do you carry and where does it make contact on the holster

Said holster...

http://www.giholsters.com/silent-thunder-classic/
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 5:50:44 PM EDT
[#2]
What pistol?

I've had my SuperTuck for three years and wear it a couple times per week. I can do a handstand in it and my Hi Power will stay put. Body heat is not going to be a significant factor.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 8:53:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Carrying a full size Springfield loaded

I adjusted the tension and wore it around the house. It already feels looser. I'm not liking it
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 9:28:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you tightened the screws holding the shell against the leather?

Sounds like those screws are the issue. Might not have been loctited in. I guarantee your body even in the Sahara will not produce enough heat to make the kydex the problem.

If I was you, I would contact Crossbreed direct. Every now and then a lemon makes it through production.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 9:31:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sounds like those screws are the issue. Might not have been loctited in. I guarantee your body even in the Sahara will not produce enough heat to make the kydex the problem.

If I was you, I would contact Crossbreed direct. Every now and then a lemon makes it through production.
View Quote

It's riveted not screwed. Their retention adjustment is reforming the kydex
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 9:39:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Been wearing one with a G36 for about 3 years and still holds like new.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 11:23:56 PM EDT
[#7]
If it's still fairly new, it could be the leather breaking in. Most hybrids loose some retention at first just because of the leather conforming to your body and the gun. It happend with my Foxx hybrid and a hair dryer and pushing in around the trigger guard fixed it up good.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 9:44:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If it's still fairly new, it could be the leather breaking in. Most hybrids loose some retention at first just because of the leather conforming to your body and the gun. It happend with my Foxx hybrid and a hair dryer and pushing in around the trigger guard fixed it up good.
View Quote

They don't lose retention on the level the OP is experiencing. Mine is well and truly broken in and the pistol's not going anywhere if I don't pull it out.

Contact Crossbreed. In my limited experience, they have been extremely helpful.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 9:49:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

My mini tuck/shield loosened up within a few weeks of purchasing it.  Mine was loose to the point it would not retain the gun if turned upside down.  10 minutes with a hairdryer gently pushing in the retention area on the inside of the triggerguard a millimeter or so and it has been perfect since.  As clee noted, it probably not the Kydex that is the problem.  The leather actually begins to take an imprint of the gun and that's what causes it to loosen up.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 11:21:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My mini tuck/shield loosened up within a few weeks of purchasing it.  Mine was loose to the point it would not retain the gun if turned upside down.  10 minutes with a hairdryer gently pushing in the retention area on the inside of the triggerguard a millimeter or so and it has been perfect since.  As clee noted, it probably not the Kydex that is the problem.  The leather actually begins to take an imprint of the gun and that's what causes it to loosen up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have the same set up. Going to try this. For what's its worth I was crawling under my truck yesterday and gun stayed in place
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 9:53:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In that case, I'd call Crossbreed and see what they recommend.

For some reason I was thinking Alien Gear with the swap out shells until I saw your response. My bad.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 4:18:46 PM EDT
[#12]
A) you are not getting the Kydex hot enough to make it lose retention, unless you are getting >200°F

B) CBs use relatively thin leather that loses rigidity and stretches slightly with use

The best way to "fix" a CB is to throw it in the trash and buy a better holster.

Link Posted: 3/16/2015 4:37:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm confused, is the problem loose retention (gun may fall out), or the safety got clicked off?

If it's a retention issue, then follow instructions above to tighten it up.  (or just tighten your belt one notch!)

If it's your safety, you may need to dig an indent into the leather where the safety rides so it doesn't get pushed at a funny angle.  This depends on the person wearing the holster (body type, hipbone shape etc).  I have one for my Kimber, and it works perfect for me, but when I loaned the holster and gun to a friend who wanted to try it out, the safety kept clicking off on him.  I put it back on and didn't have that problem.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 6:13:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

A) you are not getting the Kydex hot enough to make it lose retention, unless you are getting >200°F

B) CBs use relatively thin leather that loses rigidity and stretches slightly with use

The best way to "fix" a CB is to throw it in the trash and buy a better holster.

View Quote
This guy sells holsters and maybe should include that as a disclaimer when making statements like this.

All leather will form and loosen with time. That said i don't know what the quality of CB leather is.

Contact them. I hear they have great customer service. I would get it resolved by them and carry it for a while before shopping again as the experience will help you make a more informed decision.

Eta: as was said, the leather stretches and you send it back to get reformed. Other companies have adjustable retention.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 6:14:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Does the pistol have an ambi-safety?
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 8:37:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This guy sells holsters and maybe should include that as a disclaimer when making statements like this.    

All leather will form and loosen with time. That said i don't know what the quality of CB leather is.

Contact them. I hear they have great customer service. I would get it resolved by them and carry it for a while before shopping again as the experience will help you make a more informed decision.

Eta: as was said, the leather stretches and you send it back to get reformed. Other companies have adjustable retention.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm struggling a bit with the part about Crossbreed leather being "relatively thin".  I just bought one of their cowhide (black) holsters and the leather is definitely NOT thin, nor "relatively thin".  It's a good 3/16" thick and pretty darn stiff.  It is slowly breaking in, but it doesn't "want" to bend all that much nor all that rapidly in conformance with my body….it's "getting there"….slowly.
If it were any thicker, it would be a freakin' bear to get it to break in, not to mention it would be too thick to be useable inside the waistband.

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 3:31:30 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I'm struggling a bit with the part about Crossbreed leather being "relatively thin".  I just bought one of their cowhide (black) holsters and the leather is definitely NOT thin, nor "relatively thin".  It's a good 3/16" thick and pretty darn stiff.  It is slowly breaking in, but it doesn't "want" to bend all that much nor all that rapidly in conformance with my body….it's "getting there"….slowly.

If it were any thicker, it would be a freakin' bear to get it to break in, not to mention it would be too thick to be useable inside the waistband.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Crossbreed uses 7-8 oz leather, which is roughly 7/64" to 1/8" thick.

Many other holster makers use either 12-14 oz, which is 3/16" to 7/32" thick, or 2 layers of 6 - 8 oz for a total thickness of 3/16 - 1/4"

You know how good leather gun belts are 2 layers? that is because leather stretches and sags. The same reasons that a single layer 8 oz leather belt is not good for carrying a gun is the same exact reason that a single layer of 8 oz leather is not good for a hybrid holster backer.

Since, as they say, a picture is worth 1000 words, I'll just leave these here...

CB tan Leather, 7-8 oz vs NICKydex Black Leather, 12-14 oz

You can poo poo my post all you want, but the fact remains, people have having issues with CBs getting loose, the thin, single layer of leather is the reason why.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 3:33:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why include a disclaimer?  Then someone would whine about my post being an "Advertisement" or, as you are doing, just pass it off as someone speaking ill of a competitor...

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 12:04:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Crossbreeds aren't made to hold a pistol secure unless you are wearing it.  Part of the retention is the pressure of the body against the leather backer.  I have 4 Crossbreeds for my pistols- Kahr CW9 9mm, CZ 85 9mm, HK USP 40 and 1911 .45.  Every one of my pistols will fall out of the Crossbreed holster if I not wearing it and turn it upside down.  But once I put them on I have full retention.  I have played touch football, chased after my grandkids, worked under and over my vehicles and every other indoor and outdoor activity I normally do, all without ever loosing/dropping my pistol from the holster.

To answer you question about the safety getting clicked off, my CZ-85 and 1911 both have ambi-safeties and I haven't had any problems with the holsters.  If you still have a problem with the holster, give them a call.  Like on of the posters above said they have great customer service.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 8:54:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Many other holster makers use either 12-14 oz, which is 3/16" to 7/32" thick, or 2 layers of 6 - 8 oz for a total thickness of 3/16 - 1/4"

You know how good leather gun belts are 2 layers? that is because leather stretches and sags. The same reasons that a single layer 8 oz leather belt is not good for carrying a gun is the same exact reason that a single layer of 8 oz leather is not good for a hybrid holster backer.

Since, as they say, a picture is worth 1000 words, I'll just leave these here...

http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt117/bobapunk/NICKydex%20Holsters/20150209_065806-001_zpsf3qxwmvd.jpg

http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt117/bobapunk/NICKydex%20Holsters/20150209_065728-001_zpsqgk2m24j.jpg

You can poo poo my post all you want, but the fact remains, people have having issues with CBs getting loose, the thin, single layer of leather is the reason why.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt117/bobapunk/NICKydex%20Holsters/20150209_065806-001_zpsf3qxwmvd.jpg

http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt117/bobapunk/NICKydex%20Holsters/20150209_065728-001_zpsqgk2m24j.jpg

Well that's a good post….and I appreciate it.
But the fact remains that my holster measures out at 3/16"….and that is plenty thick enough.  If it were any thicker, I wouldn't want to stuff it into my waistband.
So, maybe there is ultimately a life expectancy issue….then replace the damn thing when it loses its utility.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top