Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2015 11:21:26 PM EDT
I am retired LEO, who carries concealed.
Recently I was placed on a list for a heart transplant, and must wear a debifrillator vest.
Am I correct in thinking the vest if activated could cook off a round of ammunition?
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 12:01:41 AM EDT
[#1]
If it generated enough current to cook off a round somehow you'd be dead anyway.

I'd be more worried about maintaining control of your firearm before that.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 4:09:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Recently I was placed on a list for a heart transplant, and must wear a debifrillator vest.
Am I correct in thinking the vest if activated could cook off a round of ammunition?
View Quote

I do not believe it can generate enough current that is first going to flow through your body and through the path of least resistance (very key path of least resistance) to cook off a round.  Electricity just does not work that way it is going to be finding ground not your pistol.  Let me lay it out for you.... you would have to be laying down and your pistol making the path of least resistance with the primer some how in that path for it to set off the round even then I do not think it is even possible as the primer is not the ground nor could it be because electricity will encounter resistance as it flows through the pistol if it at all possible could conduct it from your body.

I just cannot fathom a situation that your pistol could be in the flow towards ground that would engage the primer.  Cops could not carry tasers I am sure if this was at all possible.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 9:54:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 10:54:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Correct, but for the wrong reasons. A firearm in contact with your body will be a resistance in parallel with the resistance of your body. The amount of current that flows through each will be inversely proportional to the resistance of each. A firearm made of steel will conduct MUCH more readily than your body, and will take a large portion of the conducted current, though not all of it. You are correct in that it will be tending towards ground, and that it will take the path of least resistance (though not exclusively, only in proportion to the other resistances), and your weapon would be a very low resistance pathway that would complete at least some of the journey with little resistance.

If there is clothing between and a holster between your weapon and you, I think you are safe, and that nothing would be conducted through the weapon itself. I would actually be really interested in an experiment to see how much energy it would take to cook off a round, if it was even possible.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do not believe it can generate enough current that is first going to flow through your body and through the path of least resistance (very key path of least resistance) to cook off a round.  Electricity just does not work that way it is going to be finding ground not your pistol.  Let me lay it out for you.... you would have to be laying down and your pistol making the path of least resistance with the primer some how in that path for it to set off the round even then I do not think it is even possible as the primer is not the ground nor could it be because electricity will encounter resistance as it flows through the pistol if it at all possible could conduct it from your body.

I just cannot fathom a situation that your pistol could be in the flow towards ground that would engage the primer.  Cops could not carry tasers I am sure if this was at all possible.

Correct, but for the wrong reasons. A firearm in contact with your body will be a resistance in parallel with the resistance of your body. The amount of current that flows through each will be inversely proportional to the resistance of each. A firearm made of steel will conduct MUCH more readily than your body, and will take a large portion of the conducted current, though not all of it. You are correct in that it will be tending towards ground, and that it will take the path of least resistance (though not exclusively, only in proportion to the other resistances), and your weapon would be a very low resistance pathway that would complete at least some of the journey with little resistance.

If there is clothing between and a holster between your weapon and you, I think you are safe, and that nothing would be conducted through the weapon itself. I would actually be really interested in an experiment to see how much energy it would take to cook off a round, if it was even possible.

OK folks, check me on a 'here, hold my beer and watch this' idea;
I have access to a defibrillator, a shooting range and a glock. How irresponsible would it be to actually give this a try? Single round, safe muzzle direction...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 11:02:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I have access to a defibrillator, a shooting range and a glock. How irresponsible would it be to actually give this a try? Single round, safe muzzle direction...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's kind of redneck awesome.

I think there is a way to do it safely depending on how your range is situated.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 2:52:28 PM EDT
[#6]
What would you use as a ground?  Pig carcass or is this just to see if a defib machine can even set it off in general by direct contact?
What would be the control?

Is the defib machine capable of multiple pulses?

My hypothesis is the cartridge itself will have a certain degree of resistance between it and the chamber walls that the current will never flow through the case and may never even conduct ta charge o the primer.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 2:54:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 2:56:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Chuck the pistol in a Ransom Pistol Rest is the only safe way I can see. That way you can get knocked on you butt when things go amiss and the pistol will be just where you last left it 15 minutes ago.

Made my living in the electronics profession. I just can't see a way for the current to flow thru the primer material to set it off. I have also seen a few of my electronic designs doing things I didn't think they could.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 3:25:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What would you use as a ground?  Pig carcass or is this just to see if a defib machine can even set it off in general by direct contact?

My hypothesis is the cartridge itself will have a certain degree of resistance between it and the chamber walls that the current will never flow through the case and may never even conduct ta charge o the primer.
View Quote

I pictured just wrapping the pads around the weapon, putting it on the bench and frying some myocardium polymer. Maybe I can invite unique1 along and have him hold it instead.

Link Posted: 3/13/2015 4:20:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I pictured just wrapping the pads around the weapon, putting it on the bench and frying some myocardium polymer. Maybe I can invite unique1 along and have him hold it instead.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am more interested to know if electricity alone can set off a primer since they are triggered by pressure\strike.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 5:48:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:24:44 PM EDT
[#12]
This is what a representative of the defibrillator company said: "I am writing back to address your questions about the life vest and fire arms.  First off I need to let you know we have not tested this specific circumstance. In additionally we do not have the information as to whether 150  joules, which is what the treatment of the life vest is, would be sufficient to cause any reaction to the  ammunition. Possibly manufacturer of the ammunition may know what tolerances their product has."

As for security of the firearm should I be in a situation in which the vest is activated... I would think anyone who takes hold of it while the vest is discharging would probably wish they'd listened to the alarm that says, "Don't touch." More importantly -- as callus as it may sound, if the vest didn't restart my heart, I think weapon security would be the least of my worries.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:55:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I wouldn't worry about it. I help out with cardioversions all the time where the energy delivered is 60 joules. I put my (gloved) hand on the chest pad and apply pressure while the cardiologist shocks the patient. Never felt so much as a tingle.

150 joules is obviously more, but the vest is designed to send the current through the heart, not outside the vest.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top