Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/6/2015 9:49:03 PM EDT
Anybody else have a problem like I do?  I know it's not optimal, but I just love guns too much and I find myself regularly changing my carry gun. 1911s, BHP, Bereta 92, Px4, Glock 17, Sig P239... ya da ya da.

No need for a lecture, I understand why I shouldn't. I'm trying to break the habit, but as I said, I just like my guns too much and can't help myself.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:15:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a number of guns I regularly carry depending on my attire and whim. I'm comfortable with each of them to not be worried about using them under stress. I have a bunch of others I have carried and may carry again but aren't in my current rotation.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:28:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't carry a gun because it's fun or entertaining.
I carry a gun to protect me and mine with.
If you want to rotate them like shoes go ahead and do so, it's your gun and your life.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:46:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't. When I had a decent rotation going I went to swipe the safety off (like a 1911) when I drew my Glock at a small competition. It vapor locked me for a bit when the safety wasn't there. It was only a moment but that made an impression on me.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:33:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I swing between a G32, an M&P9 and a G33 for when I need to dress for business.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:19:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I carried a Shield for a long time. That changed to a Glock 19 and then an M&Pc. Currently, it is a Kahr CM9. The biggest thing for me is to be fairly consistent in the manual of arms. I abhor a manual safety so no 1911 for me or anything like that. While the Kahr does have a long trigger pull, it's consistent which I prefer. The slide locks back after the last round and the magazine drops free pretty easy. The magazine dropping free easily was something I never got with Glock. H&K and M&P have been the best so far. The mag just shoots out when you eject it.

I think consistency of carry is important, too. Carry in the same position to develop good muscle memory. I'm guilty of carrying behind the hip sometimes when I prefer AIWB.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 6:35:18 AM EDT
[#6]
No. Always G19 unless the G26 is required for more concealment.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:36:39 AM EDT
[#7]
For those of you who carry only one or two guns, do you only have those handguns or do you have others?  How do you utilize the "extra" handguns if you have them?
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:46:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I rotate carry guns depending on my dress but they all have the same manual of arms.  No safety and mag release in the same location.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:08:20 AM EDT
[#9]
I rotate between my two Hi Powers. It can get really confusing.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:13:33 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm not a collector so I have the same platform with the same manual of arms with 3 different sized frames. Caliber and size may differ but there is no screwing up the operation due to different buttons and levers.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:29:11 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a number of handguns there all fun but like a previous  poster said there not shoes.I have been carrying the same glock 19 every day for 10 years now.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:49:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For those of you who carry only one or two guns, do you only have those handguns or do you have others?  How do you utilize the "extra" handguns if you have them?
View Quote

I used to have well over a dozen "other" handguns that were not my EDC guns. They would go to the range with varying frequency, which turned out to be very, very little if at all. I just never had a high desire to get reps in on my non-carry guns. By that, I mean guns with different triggers/MOA. I'd have no problem going to the range with another G19 or even a G17 if they had the same trigger as my carry G19/G26. But my SIGs and Berettas and 1911s and HKs and S&Ws...etc...really never got out. Over time, I've sold off my "collection" guns since I just never used them. Consolidated down to carry guns and backups/range dedicated versions of my carry guns. That might seem boring, but that's what I'm interested in.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:32:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm still a 1911 guy at heart, grew up with them, and carried them for my first 4 years of carrying, so I find myself grabbing my old Springfield GI out of the gunroom to carry for a week or two, but I find myself going back to the G21 pretty fast these days. I also grab my old Gen2 G17 on rare occasions. I've also got an M&P with thumb safety that I carry occasionally. My draw stroke is the same between the 4 different pistols. I run my thumb high, down the side of the slide, and down onto the grip during my draw stroke, swiping the safety off on the 1911's and M&P, and getting me a nice, high grip on the glocks.

I'm kinda thinking of dropping the M&P for another Glock, so I'd be 1911's and Glocks only.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 5:17:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I went through musical carry guns.  Let's run through the list
M36 S&W
Ruger P95
Colt 1991A1
Rossi M677
Colt LW Commander
S&W M686-4
CZ-83
XD45 Tactical
XD45 Service

I sold off everything save the Commander and Bersa.
The Commander has been my carry gun 99% of the time since 2000
It's the only handgun I've been around that I can hit the target every time without thinking about it.  Just point and shoot.
Every other handgun I shoot I have to work at accuracy.

The other guns didn't work for me.  YMMV
I regret selling the CZ-83 though.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 6:52:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Anybody else have a problem like I do?  I know it's not optimal, but I just love guns too much and I find myself regularly changing my carry gun. 1911s, BHP, Bereta 92, Px4, Glock 17, Sig P239... ya da ya da.

No need for a lecture, I understand why I shouldn't. I'm trying to break the habit, but as I said, I just like my guns too much and can't help myself.
View Quote

You know it's stupid, so why do you ask.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:58:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because some of the responses are of value and help stimulate dialogue and further critical thinking on my part. The problem is that a hobby in guns is in direct opposition to pure efficiency when it comes to training with firearms. This being a firearms site, I imagine that most are enthusiasts and have probably undergone similar issues or at least thoughts on the subject. And there are a few intelligent people and responses here to tell me that this is true.

Call me an optimist, but I assume your post was a genuine question and a desire for said dialogue. I recognize that this isn't always the case on an Internet forum.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:00:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Like some of the other posters I used to rotate, but I carry a 19 regularly and a 26 on occasion. Both glock..same manual of arms
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:01:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I went through musical carry guns.  Let's run through the list
M36 S&W
Ruger P95
Colt 1991A1
Rossi M677
Colt LW Commander
S&W M686-4
CZ-83
XD45 Tactical
XD45 Service

I sold off everything save the Commander and Bersa.
The Commander has been my carry gun 99% of the time since 2000
It's the only handgun I've been around that I can hit the target every time without thinking about it.  Just point and shoot.
Every other handgun I shoot I have to work at accuracy.

The other guns didn't work for me.  YMMV
I regret selling the CZ-83 though.
View Quote

Good post, thank you. My "problem" is that I have been weeding out the chaff from years of fun ownership, so the guns I do have left are all really good ones, at least from my perspective. Any cuts at this point are hard. I've clearly purchased way too many guns, when my pistol inventory is almost 20 AFTER making tons of cuts and I'm having a tough time getting beyond that.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:13:36 PM EDT
[#19]
I have several handguns, but carry a Kahr K9 everyday and have since the gun first came out on the market.

Having said that, there have been a few times where "deep concealment" was necessary; I carried a Seecamp .32 then- but the Kahr and holster was locked up and ready for wear when the need was over.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:26:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Because some of the responses are of value and help stimulate dialogue and further critical thinking on my part. The problem is that a hobby in guns is in direct opposition to pure efficiency when it comes to training with firearms. This being a firearms site, I imagine that most are enthusiasts and have probably undergone similar issues or at least thoughts on the subject. And there are a few intelligent people and responses here to tell me that this is true.

Call me an optimist, but I assume your post was a genuine question and a desire for said dialogue. I recognize that this isn't always the case on an Internet forum.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think it is always detrimental to carry a variety of guns as you wish (within reason). I have carried a gun daily for close to 20 years now and have quite a variety that I am very comfortable with. I can shoot most guns fairly well and do not have an issue operating just about anything you put in my hands. I worked a a gun store for a number of years so I was handling a variety all day, everyday. Once I went in to law enforcement I first carried a Beretta 92F, then a Sig 226 and now a Glock. I do generally carry stuff that does not have a manual safety and I generally carry all of them IWB in the same position. Probably 95% of the time I carry a HK P2000 LEM, Glock 26 or S&W Shield but if I feel like carrying one of my Kahrs, a J-frame, another size Glock or a Colt Mustang then I'm comfortable doing it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:10:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I don't. When I had a decent rotation going I went to swipe the safety off (like a 1911) when I drew my Glock at a small competition. It vapor locked me for a bit when the safety wasn't there. It was only a moment but that made an impression on me.

View Quote

This right here.
Milliseconds matter in a life or death situation and this could get you or a loved one killed.
In a high stress, violent situation you are going to revert back to the level of your training. Who trains enough to not have any hesitation whatsoever with numerous different platforms? And who can validate that under stress? You cannot replicate true life or death stress while training.
I took a defensive pistol course yesterday and the 2 guys in the class having constant problems running drills were having problems due to unfamiliarity with equipment that wasn't their "regular" stuff.

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:56:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Another great example of training and muscle memory kicking in with even a bit of stress, I've got tons of reps in doing mag changes out of pouches on my belt. But, when I wear body armor in an outer carrier, I cannot get to my mags on my belt with the carrier in the way so I have my mags in molle pouches mounted on the carrier. Now, I try to put them as close to the same spot on the carrier as where they would be on my belt, but of course the position cannot be exactly the same. When I do combat courses with the armor on, the first few mag changes will have me reaching for the mags in the wrong place--I reach just a touch low. Do I need more reps with armor on? Sure do. But it continues to prove to me how immediately you will revert to however you've trained the most under even a little bit of stress.

I've watched a police video in which the officer was wearing his duty pistol in a thigh holster. He was obviously very used to drawing his pistol from a belt mounted duty rig because when he went to draw under stress he did a couple big whiffs reaching for his pistol high and got nothing but air. He was only reaching just 1-2" higher than where the pistol's grip really was. Under high stress, he immediately defaulted to what he was used to (and probably had a real oh shit moment when he wanted his gun in the worst way and couldn't find it). And his thigh rig wasn't slung all low like some people want to wear them. It was really just the difference between a "mid-ride" and a "low-ride," which is about 1.5" difference in Safariland gear, but that was enough.

Changing carry pistols regularly, with different grips (which may ride differently (grip angle, placement) even if using the same brand/model of holster), different triggers, different mag releases, etc. etc. etc. is asking for an oh shit moment when you want least to have one. Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 4:40:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I don't carry a gun because it's fun or entertaining.
I carry a gun to protect me and mine with.
If you want to rotate them like shoes go ahead and do so, it's your gun and your life.
View Quote

x2
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 6:54:41 PM EDT
[#24]
I switch between my Glock 22, Walther PPQ, and Walther PPS depending on what I am wearing, the weather, and where I am going.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 7:04:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I only carry my 9mm Shield. My other 9mm is a M&P 9FS, which is simply too big for me to carry. That's a home defense gun. I don't consider my SR-22 as good for anything more than range fun or teaching a newbie.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:21:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Who cares what you carry..... As long as you can shoot the pistol well and it is comfortable.  Lots of people do not carry because it is not comfortable but you carry an assortment.

I switch between a compact Glock and a Walther PPS depending on clothing attire.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:39:20 PM EDT
[#27]
I also change up my carry gun.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:53:21 PM EDT
[#28]
All my carry guns are Glocks.......so no biggie
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 1:11:41 PM EDT
[#29]
I've only changed carry guns a few times. M&P9FS to M&P9c, back to the FS, now I carry an M&P45FS.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 4:18:47 PM EDT
[#30]
If you are familiar and capable with any given gun, why not. If people want to dry fire their carry gun 500 times a day and memorize the script to every magpul video by heart that's their business. I live in reality, and ill take reasonable precautions to ensure my safety while still enjoying my life. How many mall ninjas on here think they are a navy seal but aside from practicing at a range have no formal training, no unarmed training, hell are even physically fit. I see pictures of some of the posters on here and its a toss up between old fart, fat slob, or tooth pick.

If you have your fundamentals down and know/trust the gun then its green light in my book. Bring on the flaming....

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 5:10:07 PM EDT
[#31]
I only carry one or two of the pistols I own on a regular basis. Now when I worked at the gunshop I would mix it up every once in awhile just for fun.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 10:48:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If you are familiar and capable with any given gun, why not. If people want to dry fire their carry gun 500 times a day and memorize the script to every magpul video by heart that's their business. I live in reality, and ill take reasonable precautions to ensure my safety while still enjoying my life. How many mall ninjas on here think they are a navy seal but aside from practicing at a range have no formal training, no unarmed training, hell are even physically fit. I see pictures of some of the posters on here and its a toss up between old fart, fat slob, or tooth pick.

If you have your fundamentals down and know/trust the gun then its green light in my book. Bring on the flaming....

View Quote

You win chief.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 3:46:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm trying to figure out how your ad hominems have anything to do with your point, and failing.

As far as the original subject goes, I perform fine motor skills under high stress regularly, and teach others to do the same. That experience is a big part of why I stick to a single manual of arms for concealed carry.

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:22:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I'm trying to figure out how your ad hominems have anything to do with your point, and failing.

As far as the original subject goes, I perform fine motor skills under high stress regularly, and teach others to do the same. That experience is a big part of why I stick to a single manual of arms for concealed carry.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I appreciate everyone's input on this. It's given me a lot to think about, on both sides of the spectrum.

Tommytrauma (or anyone else for that matter). Do you see any issues in switching between a 1911 and a BHP?  How about if I add a P239 in the mix?  Or a 1911 and a Ruger LCR for backup?
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:44:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wanted to give the OP insight into the type of people present on here and when to administer grains of salt.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:48:23 PM EDT
[#36]
I would say there are many different types of people present here.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 6:39:05 PM EDT
[#37]
You should only carry the same weapon systems IMO.  Especially if 1 has a safety & one does not. Because in a stress situation your not going to be able to remember which you have.  I have seen this in training happen.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 6:41:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
You should only carry the same weapon systems IMO.  Especially if 1 has a safety & one does not. Because in a stress situation your not going to be able to remember which you have.  I have seen this in training happen.
View Quote

We covered this, He is looking for approval to play dress up with his carry gun or guns.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 6:59:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

We covered this, He is looking for approval to play dress up with his carry gun or guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't believe I have ever been anything but civil to you.

I understand that your view on the matter is important, and I have weighed it appropriately.

I get that you are tough, but recognize that this is the Internet. And tough on the Internet is pretty silly.

I should also add that I'm certainly not looking for your approval nor anyone else's.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:37:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I understand that your view on the matter is important, and I have weighed it appropriately.

I get that you are tough, but recognize that this is the Internet. And tough on the Internet is pretty silly.

I should also add that I'm certainly not looking for your approval nor anyone else's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stop! vengarr has spoken! There will be no further discussion!
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 9:04:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a tech forum, not GD. I happen to agree that practicality should outweigh other factors when it comes to carry, but there really isn't any need to be derogatory in saying so. How 'bout we save that stuff for GD and stick with actual discourse here?

When I was younger, the 'sexy' and 'fun' factor with guns was important to me. The guys who taught me better didn't do so by acting contemptuous or making supercilious comments.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 9:17:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I appreciate everyone's input on this. It's given me a lot to think about, on both sides of the spectrum.

Tommytrauma (or anyone else for that matter). Do you see any issues in switching between a 1911 and a BHP?  How about if I add a P239 in the mix?  Or a 1911 and a Ruger LCR for backup?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A 1911 and a BHP are essentially the same manual of arms. As far as the others, personally I'd either stay with manual safety or without, instead of intermixing. It's a personal decision though.

What I would suggest is that folk get a good idea of what stress response is like. IMHO, Rory Miller's 'Meditations on Violence' is an absolute must-read for anyone who carries or is serious about self-defense, in large part because of how well it discusses exactly that issue. My choices were also significantly affected by force-on force training and other classes that strived for stress inoculation. That sort of experience is invaluable, and helps give someone a basis for such decisions.

I used to be a big 1911 aficionado. Nowadays though, I'm a big fan of the simplicity of a Glock. Not nearly as sexy as my Colt Officers, but it was proven to me through several handgunning and tactics classes that it's a much better choice for me.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 12:13:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I only carry one or two of the pistols I own on a regular basis. Now when I worked at the gunshop I would mix it up every once in awhile just for fun.
View Quote

Would do the same thing as well, but most of my training was conducted with the firearm that I carried the most.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 9:45:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I apologize I came off as a dick and I'm sorry for that.

I never said I was tough. What I will say is I have carried a gun for 18 almost 19 years now, and been a concealed carry instructor for almost 7 years. I have carried a 32 pistol all the way to 45 acp and 41 magnums. In the years I have carried guns I have went through at least 2 maybe 3 or 4 dozen holsters and carry methods. The one thing I took away early on was, stick to what works the best for me because I am carrying a gun to protect myself. Not be cool, or entertain myself or essentially play dress up with a gun. FAR too many people I know carry guns and fail miserably at handling those guns. I don't want to see a guy get hurt or killed because he refused to listen to the advice folks who have been there and done that are giving him.

My view isn't important it's my view, for all you know I am a moron that has never carried a gun a day in his life.

My carry guns are not my fun guns, My carry guns are my tools that have to do what I need them to do when I need them to do them. Maybe look at it that way.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 8:25:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I never said I was tough. What I will say is I have carried a gun for 18 almost 19 years now, and been a concealed carry instructor for almost 7 years. I have carried a 32 pistol all the way to 45 acp and 41 magnums. In the years I have carried guns I have went through at least 2 maybe 3 or 4 dozen holsters and carry methods. The one thing I took away early on was, stick to what works the best for me because I am carrying a gun to protect myself. Not be cool, or entertain myself or essentially play dress up with a gun. FAR too many people I know carry guns and fail miserably at handling those guns. I don't want to see a guy get hurt or killed because he refused to listen to the advice folks who have been there and done that are giving him.

My view isn't important it's my view, for all you know I am a moron that has never carried a gun a day in his life.

My carry guns are not my fun guns, My carry guns are my tools that have to do what I need them to do when I need them to do them. Maybe look at it that way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good post. Thank you.  Apology accepted, no worries.

I've been carrying concealed for about 15 years at this point, and have settled on one holster to rule them all. Threw the rest away. Then I came to a similar realization that maybe I should stick to just one gun or at least one system, which is why I started this thread.

Over the past several months I've been selling off much of my handgun "collection". Never meant to collect, just happened to be that way. I guess I justified them by saying that were all carry guns, but I realize that's probably sub optimal.

So now I'm down to my 1911s (sold a few off, but still have a rather unsightly number of them), 2 BHPs, 3 Beretta 92s (which I think will serve as quick-access safe duty), a Sig P239 (this gun is just too wonderful to get rid of, although I'm not sure what role it will serve), and a Beretta Px4 (this one is the odd man out, and I may sell it too, but I really love how well it shoots, which is why it's still here).

I'm most comfortable with a 1911 manual safety. Been using them for years as carry guns and in competition.  Competition showed me that a 1911 style safety is no problem for me, as I inconciously turn it off and on as I go about the stage. I've seen others fail to switch off the safety under mild pressure, but I'm not one of those. No safety like a Glock or even the Sig hasn't been a problem for me yet, but it's not what i am used to as much. The Beretta safety gives me concern. I can see that if it were on I'd have trouble turning it off out of a holster.

So I think I've settled on the 1911, one in particular, with maybe one of my BHPs (they are both identical, the other is a backup that remains unfired) serving as a "commander" sized gun for occasional carry when it makes more sense than a 1911.  Probably won't be too often, given that I find the 1911 so easy to carry.

With less pistols in the safe, I feel less compelled to shoot guns that are not my carry gun, which means I'm more proficient with the carry gun.  And since the majority of my safe is 1911s, I figure that shooting one, even if it's not my personal carry gun, probably isn't degrading to my skills, and would translate well to my carry gun.

I plan on selling one of the 92s, and maybe the Px4. Not sure how I use the other 92s or the 239, but I can't see getting rid of them just yet.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 9:58:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Only Carry a Glock 19 every day. It makes it easier though that my only other two handguns are a G34 and 17 so the battery of arms have not changed just the overall size of the handgun.

I will say that the shoter G19 is the most awkward to reload with compared to the other two due to the short grip. For a while I was practicing only with my 34 for competition and I shot the 19 at the range and felt it was really awkward to reload. Goes to show you that I need to balance what guns I practice with and keep my CC gun skills up to date.

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 8:55:32 PM EDT
[#47]
I change what i carry as the season changes, or depending on what i am doing or going that day...
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 3:44:17 PM EDT
[#48]
My carry pistol depends on my mood
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:26:38 AM EDT
[#49]
I've changed every few years, but not from week to week or day to day.  Started out with a Walther P99, then an XD, then a 1911, then an XDm, now a G19.  I doubt I'll change again unless I get a G26 for summer time, the G19 seems to be the ideal carry gun for me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 2:12:14 PM EDT
[#50]
I have my duty gun, my off duty carry gun, and then my fun guns.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top